Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman / Superman Movie Thread (Dawn of Justice)

i've heard it said before, and it's an interesting notion that Batman has typically been played by recognizable actors- because this reduces the lack of connection that the audience might have with the character once he puts the mask on.

whereas Superman is typically played by relative unknowns because Superman does not wear a mask and yet is iconic, so there's a clash between the iconic quality of the character and the iconic status of the actor if he were played by a megastar.

RE: Heath as The Joker- i thought he did a fantastic job. a huge part of that is his going against what most actors would have been tempted to do with the character. another part of that was the wise decision to go back to basics and base TDK's Joker on the character's initial appearances. in fact, it's interesting that Heath arrived on a vocal choice for Joker that comes extremely close to what Michael McKean did for the character in the 1940's Sprang Homage portion of the B:TAS episode "Legends of The Dark Knight."

The result was a character that was somewhat removed from what many have become accustomed to in regards to The Joker. I think this is why in comparisons with Hamill, Nicholson, or even Romero, people claim that Heath didn't read as Joker. but Joker (any longstanding comic book character, Superman and Batman included) is not a static character. while their are recurring threads that run through the characters evolution, there is no one concrete version of the character. So i think we should be more open to alternate takes...though whether or not an interpretation by a writer, director,or actor lacks too many of the core threads of a character, is completely subjective to the viewer and may also be impacted by the viewers knowledge of that characters history.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

I really hope the woman who plays Sif in Thor doesn't become her. I don't want the crossover. She is part of a successful franchise. Other actors were able to get away with playing different heroes because their other superhero movies failed.

I don't mind Grayson being in it, but adding Justice League members like Wonder Woman seems a bit much at this stage. At most, they should only do a cameo.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    It's weird that there have been all these rumors of so many other characters showing up in this movie now. It's suddenly gone form being a Superman movie with Batman in it to start building towards Justice League, to basically being a Justice League movie.

This worries me, honestly. I still feel like DC just doesn't get it. I worry they just want the Marvel money.
    I would be fine with a cameo in a sequel, building up to a crossover, but this is too much. Superman does not even have a second stand alone film under his belt and they are already throwing in Batman, Nightwing, and Wonder Woman. It is as if they do not have confidence that Superman can maintain his own franchise, and they are in a rush to do a crossover film.

It's weird that there have been all these rumors of so many other characters showing up in this movie now. It's suddenly gone form being a Superman movie with Batman in it to start building towards Justice League, to basically being a Justice League movie.

This worries me, honestly. I still feel like DC just doesn't get it. I worry they just want the Marvel money.
    Warner Bros has proven time and again that they have no idea what to do with the DC characters. They are just trying to ride Marvel's coat tails without have any understanding as to what made the Marvel movies so successful.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

DC wants to have their version of the Avengers RIGHT NOW, instead of working towards it through individual movies. The problem with that approach is that Marvel's individual movies gave the big four Avengers a focus and some build-up (some multiple focues) before reuniting them all in Avengers.

DC is going way too fast.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    DC wants to have their version of the Avengers RIGHT NOW, instead of working towards it through individual movies. The problem with that approach is that Marvel's individual movies gave the big four Avengers a focus and some build-up (some multiple focues) before reuniting them all in Avengers.

Yea they should have used the same blueprint as Marvel and it would have been fine I hope it works but I have a feeling this is not going to work the way they want it...

Exactly. By establishing all the players in their own movies, Avengers was able to just hit the ground running.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Warner Bros has proven time and again that they have no idea what to do with the DC characters. They are just trying to ride Marvel's coat tails without have any understanding as to what made the Marvel movies so successful.
    They also don't seem to have any understanding of how the worlds of Marvel and DC are different.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    They also don't seem to have any understanding of how the worlds of Marvel and DC are different.
    I agree with these two statements.

I would like to add(if it hasn't been already) that what DC does get right, in my opinion, is their direct to dvd animated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I agree with these two statements.

I would like to add(if it hasn't been already) that what DC does get right, in my opinion, is their direct to dvd animated movies.
    and their live action tv shows (well show). Arrow is FAR superior to Agents of SHIELD. Better writing, better stories, better developed characters, better action...just better in every single way. Not to mention the season one finale of Arrow is easily one of the best season finales of all time.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    and their live action tv shows (well show). Arrow is FAR superior to Agents of SHIELD. Better writing, better stories, better developed characters, better action...just better in every single way. Not to mention the season one finale of Arrow is easily one of the best season finales of all time.
    I gotta agree, but then Arrow has had an entire first season to work out it's early kinks and find itself in time for season two. Arrow is starting to feel less like a a CW show (we don't see Oliver at clubs every episode anymore) and more DC Universe-like with Canary, The League of Assassins, China White, Bronze Tiger, etc.

Marvel's SHIELD show has just started and is keeping afloat because of Coulson and the Avengers references. I hope that SHIELD can get these characters working in time...network TV is VERY fickle.

Heroic Warrior
    This movie is sounding more and more like "Batman with very special guest appearance from Superman, Lex Luthor, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Talia (or some other love interest for Batman) and some other heroes and heroines we feel like including for our own twisted reasons".

I don't think Wonder Woman should be in this film as anything more than a reference by Lois Lane that she has an assignment to interview the Ambassador from the newly discovered nation of Themyscira - Princess Diana.

As for Nightwing, I can understand why DC want to include him since it's questionable whether Ben Affleck will be happy and willing to do multiple Justice League films and multiple stand-alone Batman films. I presume that Nightwing is intended to lead the stand-alone "Batman" films as Batman, but if so, surely it would be better to establish him in a Batman film as opposed to giving him limited screen time in a Superman sequel and then expecting him to launch a stand-alone series of films.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Warners worries me; they really seem to have a problem with getting a good, solid DC movie out. To be honest, the last DCU movie I really enjoyed was Batman Returns. Everything since has had major problems for me, up to and including Man of Steel. Honestly, the closest they've come to what Marvel has succeeded in doing was Green Lantern. The movie was solidly character based in much the same way as the Avenger members' flicks, but the execution and writing were weak (it was one of those most annoying of situations, where the seeds of a good movie were planted, but it didn't grow right).

Marvel found the right mix for a good super movie. Start with the characters as the crux of the film, and have the story grow directly from them and how they deal with the challenges they face. Add in some appropriate humor at the right places, and have good actors and directors in place. Most importantly, keep the characters true to their roots; you can update and tweak them to make them work in today's films, but you don't make Steve Rogers a radical hippie shouting to everyone how terrible America is. Marvel kept the hearts of their heroes and villains while still making them appealing to a wide audience. And above all, you make sure that when folks leave the theater, they had a good time watching the movie. It can be deep and meaningful and STILL be enjoyable. When I leave a superman movie, I shouldn't feel depressed and hopeless, or you've missed the whole point of the character.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

has it been confirmed that the new movie title IS Superman vs Batman?

i saw the comic con logo with both symbols, but i was thinking it was just a great pr prop to start off the craz that batman will be on the Sequal to Superman?!

i hope that batman will not have That much of a role (more sups screentime, its HIS movie darnit) into this superman sequal, unless the script is so damn good, then i dont care

as for all the rumor mill with other characters.. i dont mind cameo roles or references, but lets not rush into it please.. dont blow this up warner bros

i wanna see others characters too. but lets ease into it. im looking forward for you tube videos or pics once filming begins
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    has it been confirmed that the new movie title IS Superman vs Batman?
    No. But you can bet that Affleck didn't sign on to have a small part in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    No. But you can bet that Affleck didn't sign on to have a small part in the film.
    ok, thanks. with all the craze that batman will be in this man of steel sequel, i assume it will be just that, batman meets supes in his movie sequel
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

yeah, the over abundance of characters that are rumored to be in this movie is astounding and not in a good way.

DC/WB want to get that kind of Avengers money that Marvel/Disney is getting so bad but they are not wanting to wait and lay the correct ground work.

I fear they are going to blow it as well by stuffing everything into this one movie and putting all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

They really just need to ramp up their movie production if they want to get to a Justice League movie which it sounds like they are turning this one into.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Sweet Primus, WB wants to sink the franchises before they are even born now.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=841981
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

This is supposed to still be Superman's movie, yet he is being overshadowed by Batman, and now Wonder Woman. This is just ridiculous. I just hope this is just a cameo leading into a full movie for Wonder Woman that they haven't announced yet.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    And Gal Gadot?? I mean, I like her as an actress, but she's no Wonder Woman. Diana is supposed to be 5'11" and about 155lbs, just right for her height and lean muscular build. Gal is 5'8" and about 120lbs. Boy, she's gonna have to be in some super high heels, and start working out to put on some serious muscle mass.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    This is supposed to still be Superman's movie, yet he is being overshadowed by Batman, and now Wonder Woman. This is just ridiculous. I just hope this is just a cameo leading into a full movie for Wonder Woman that they haven't announced yet.
    This movie was never "Man of Steel 2". Wonder Woman's appearance practically confirms that this is a pre-Justice League movie. If it was Marvel, then it could have been a cameo or something, but since we all know DC wants it's "Avengers-killer" on the screen immediately, I think we can call it a pre-Justice League movie.

I think Gal Gadot can pack on the muscle for the role, just like Chris Hemsworth and Christian Bale got buff for Thor and Batman. Besides, the 6'2" Hugh Jackman laughs at the idea that Wolverine must be 5'3".

It will be good to see the DC trinity up on screen. But now I wonder what the actual plot is? Wonder Woman breaks up the fight between Superman and Batman and then they decide to join forces? Against what?

because whoever is in charge of their movie division doesn't know a thing about how to make these characters interesting. Nolan Got Batman. Superman, not so much. This Smacks of Executive fast tracking to catch up to the wonderful job marvel did establishing all their characters in movies (well, maybe except the hulk. that got rebooted twice)

- - - Updated - - -

It will be good to see the DC trinity up on screen. But now I wonder what the actual plot is? Wonder Woman breaks up the fight between Superman and Batman and then they decide to join forces? Against what?
    I HATE the stand by plot that when good guys join forces, they have to instantly hate each other. the ONLY place it kind of worked was Extreme ghostbusters with the old and new team, since teenagers tend to be jerks anyway ;o). other than that, it's a very contrived plot line and I hope they don't do it here.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Height wise Gal is fine. She was also in the Israeli armed forces. That said rarely have I seen a female actress put on muscle weight for a part, they may have leaned up a bit or toned up but rarely bulked up. I still think there were other better options in Gina Carano (acting ability still in question), Bridget Regan, or even Jaime Alexander.

I understand sometimes the meeting and beating each other up between superheroes, I mean Superman who has never heard of Batman flies by seeing him beat the snot out of some guys doesn't exactly look civil. And most of the time Superman has seen someone wearing a max to this point as been some kind of villain I get the idea. But 9 times out of 10, the guys he's beating up have guns, wearing masks of their own some kind and at least one has a money bag in his hand doesn't exactly instill in me the idea these are the good guys either.

What makes it worse is villains do the opposite they try to team up from the get go and it fails, they even approach each other on friendly terms. I mean I get the idea of good guys will find a way to work it out and work together and bad guys will realize they are just out of themselves, but still.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it