Thread: Skeletor Battle Armor Cosplay

Court Magician

Skeletor Battle Armor Cosplay

Hi All,

Just signed up to the site and wanted to share progress on my Skeletor Battle Armor costume!

Have wanted to dress up as Skeletor at Halloween for years and this is the year haha
    I have a skull mask with movable mouth and have been working on my Skeletor impression daily (driving my wife and daughter crazy MYAAAA). Also used glow in the dark paint for the bat symbol on the chest which should look really cool when all is said and done.

I chose the Battle Armor version because 1) it is just a COOL suit and 2) Doesnt seem anyone ever does it...plus I prefer the idea of not being exposed in blue spandex or paint! ha

Anyways hope you guys like and are inspiried. I will post more pics as it progresses until complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RaulDuke; October 9, 2015 at 04:54pm.

Nice, I'm off to a games convention on Sunday where a lot of people cosplay so I've just finished knocking up a skeletor costume, well sort of costume, tonight. I'm not going down the spandex or paint route either.

Court Magician
    Yeah I bought a compression shirt and pants rather than one of those second skin suits. At least this way I can actually use the restroom when I need to. Haha

Welcome to the Org!

That armor looks amazing! Great work.

Court Magician
    Thanks I appreciate it! I'm pretty happy with its progress so far. Much better than I expected.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    very cool dude
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, King Miro, Melaktha, Crystal-Man, ABC Giants, Stridor, Road Ripper, Land Shark

Court Magician
    Thanks! I should be finishing it up this weekend and will post pics of it complete just after.

Court Magician
    Just a quick update....test run before Halloween at my daughter's costume party:

Cyborg and Kinette.jpg

Really pleased with how it has turned out! Will post more detailed pics this week.

Quote Originally Posted by RaulDuke View Post
    Just a quick update....test run before Halloween at my daughter's costume party:

Cyborg and Kinette.jpg

Really pleased with how it has turned out! Will post more detailed pics this week.
    Great job man!
    " You are not a warrior, you're a beginner!"

Outstanding! I love it!

Court Magician
    Thanks guys!

Here's another quick shot. I couldn't resist...

Selfie with Myself.JPG

Looks Awsome great job

Court Magician
    Thanks I appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior Wonderbread He-Man's Avatar
    Great work. What material did you use for the armor? I went with aluminum on my Zodac style armor a few years back, which obviously isn't really pliable.

Court Magician
    I bought ready made gladiator armor and painted it. Good ole spray paint ha
    I thought the armor was perfect because it had lots of dings and battle damage and the chest/ab area reminded me of the action figures. It was originally a worn gold color.

Court Magician
    Ok here we go...the background.

A couple of years ago I set out to complete a "bucket list" of Halloween costumes I had either never had the opportunity to wear as a child or wanted to do right this time around…..

The first year I was black/grey comic book Batman, mostly because my daughter wanted to be Robin and insisted, check one. The following year check two came in the form of Darth Vader. But not just any run of the mill off the rack Vader. While I could not afford to buy the Deluxe/Supreme/Force Power-Charged/Gold-plated edition you find on multiple Halloween supply websites, I did find a really cool custom made suit from China on eBay. A few minor modifications later and I had a talking/breathing chest box. I then added the Ben Cooper deluxe full helmet and BOOM...it was glorious! Not only did I get to scare the wits out of Trick-or-Treaters when I answered the door, I also proposed to my wife (a fellow Star Wars fan since '77). Best Halloween EVER.

Batman.jpgDarth Vader.jpg

Court Magician
    Flash forward to this Halloween in the year of our Lord 2015. Skeletor always had been my favorite Master of the Universe and the opportunity to represent the evil lord of destruction on All Hallows Eve was too irresistible to pass up. As I'm sure many of you, I had already stumbled across the off the rack suit online a few years ago, but wasn't too impressed. The reviews were also not very favorable as with all of those types of costumes.

No if I was to be He-Man's greatest nemesis this just would not do at all.

Open Google and type: Skeletor Cosplay.

I found image after image of wonderful and not so wonderful recreations of the blue-skinned fiend. There were men and women, skinny, not-so-skinny, and muscular proportions. All shapes and sizes giving it there best or just embracing the more light-hearted side of the whole thing. Ideas were beginning to form.

Considering that I do not have abs carved of pure granite I refused to go shirtless with blue painted skin. I also was not very unenthusiastic at the idea of a blue spandex onesie. Then in a Eureka moment it all came together…BATTLE ARMOR SKELETOR. My favorite of all the Skeletor variants and seemingly one that NOBODY cosplays. Which I found odd. Oh yes this was going to happen and I wouldn't have to walk around half naked. FINALLY, I WILL BE SKELETOR. MYAAHH
    Last edited by RaulDuke; November 2, 2015 at 05:55pm.

Court Magician
    First I located the mask. I always had a very clear idea of the mask. I wanted a black sock Skull mask to give that floating head image of the cartoon, BUT it also had to have a moveable jaw. I had been driving my family crazy impersonating Skeletor around the house for months and the ability to actually move my skeletal jaw into a large gape while yelling "MYAAAHHH" I could not compromise on. This is the part where I tell you all what a loving and understanding wife I have. She is the best friend a geeky guy could ever want. Mask done.

I debated wether to paint the mask and had I more funds and time I most likely would have given it a good cartoony yellow coat of paint, but I couldn’t buy another one should the paint mess it up so I left the mask as is. It already did have a good yellow tint so I was ok with that.

Link to mask purchased: http://www.partycity.com/product/soc...p=pla%7cGoogle

Now with the mask purchased I set out on the other aspects of the costume. I had a pair of black mud boots previously used for both Batman and Darth Vader. These were to be painted purple. Boots done.
    What about the chest armor? Hhmmm
    Last edited by RaulDuke; November 2, 2015 at 05:55pm.

Court Magician
    I toyed with the idea of creating it myself out of cardboard. Even toyed with having either interchangeable plates (like the MOTU Classics Battle Armor figure) to show damage. OR create a spinning plate that would allow me to change between damaged and not damaged like the original figure. However, time was limited and I was not yet confident in my skills to accomplish a decent looking armor on my own. Who knows what the future holds now that I have a small taste for this whole Cosplay thing.

After an exhaustive search for just the right armor I came across battle damaged gold Spartan armor. It had the big strong chest and action figure abs. The perfect style and very fitting of Masters of Universe in design. A can of purple spray paint later and it was done. I utilized black duct tape to create the straps and "rope off" the battle damaged chest area. Initially I contemplated using cardboard to give it depth, but the duct tape proved more durable (and let's face it…easier).

Link to armor purchased (mine varied slightly from this pic though): http://www.amazon.com/Forum-Noveltie...=spartan+armor

I knew I needed a small skull for the sternum. I began looking for a plastic skull that was either flat or able to be taken apart in halves for mounting. I found a green LED skull lantern at a dollar store. It was perfect. The skull itself was VERY reminiscent of the Filmation Skeletor face and it was made in two halves. So for just a few dollars and black spray paint it was absolutely the right size, shape, and look. At this point I will remind everyone that I have a VERY understanding wife who would have let me buy the moon to get this costume done, but I managed to keep it pretty budget friendly. **I also recently found the same skull on a Halloween toy at Target. It was a handheld LED flashing light type toy.
    Last edited by RaulDuke; November 2, 2015 at 05:57pm.

Court Magician
    I then purchased glow in the dark acrylic paint in neon Pink and Green to create the bat chest emblem. In my excitement I started it free-hand. Luckily it came out well although one wing is slightly larger than the other. I should have first created a stencil then painted. Lesson learned. I also utilized metallic silver acrylic paint to fill in the large slashes and dings across the chest and back piece. This accentuated the battle damaged look. Battle Armor Done.

An old fitted bed sheet in the closet which was the perfect purple to match my spray paint gave the material to create the hood. But there were still a couple of fabric concerns. Remember when I said I was not very enthused to strut around half naked…yeah still felt the same, not even with all of these awesome costume pieces laid out before me just dying to be worn. Back to the internet…..

I Google'd "blue men's spandex/zentai/morph suit/body suit" so many different ways between Amazon and eBay it was ridiculous. I've seen outfits and pictures that I cannot unsee for the rest of my life. There were shiny ones, dull ones. Ones with full mask, without mask…I found body suits with access zippers, no access zippers. I even found ones that could be customized to include access zippers, but it costs extra and if requested the order wouldn’t arrive on time, etc. etc. Who knew it would have been so difficult and let's be honest…an access zipper to go the restroom is a must!
    Last edited by RaulDuke; November 2, 2015 at 12:32pm.

Court Magician
    Finally it hit me…COMPRESSION.

You know those unflattering workout clothes that unless you were forged on Mt. Olympus you probably do not own any….I now own some and trust me I have never been to Mt. Olympus…not even the gift shop. I found a company that had just the right shade of blue. So my Skeletor "skin" was complete and it was two pieces so the restroom would not be an issue. PHEW!

Shirt purchased (cheaper at the time): http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...YWORD%20SEARCH
    Pants purchased (cheaper at the time): http://www.eastbay.com/product/model...YWORD%20SEARCH

I would need blue gloves, but decided to not wear any near the end as it would make handling my phone (but more importantly drinks) very difficult. I did purchase a pair of medieval gauntlets from the Dollar store (budget friendly) and with a coat of purple paint these completed my armor. This wasn't action figure accurate, but fit quite well design wise.

Next up was the belt…..I don’t think I've mentioned, but I have a garage FULL of cardboard. I'm an avid recycler and we had just recently moved into our house. Back when I was still deciding on what to be for Halloween (Rom the Spaceknight was a real possibility) I horded cardboard like it was precious metal and the zombie apocalypse was about to happen. I knew that once my costume was complete I would just recycle all of the remaining pieces.

I traced a WWE toy wrestling belt (adding just a few inches for comfort) and made the MOTU style wide barbarian belt. Added a few wood and cardboard bolts, flat black spray paint and Velcro. BOOM a very cool and comfortable belt. Belt done.

All that remained was what to do about….da da daaaaaa…THE FURRY SHORTS!!!
    Last edited by RaulDuke; November 2, 2015 at 01:42pm.

Court Magician
    My research online showed the shorts being handled a variety of ways. Black speedos, skirts, the Armor/leather belt look of the original Skeletor figure, etc. There were times I kicked around doing a gladiator skirt with black armor/leather strips hanging down. I found a decent one on eBay on the cheap. However, I REALLY wanted to remain as action figure accurate as possible. This means one thing and one thing only…BLACK FURRY SHORTS with no armor straps.

I saved money because I had black spandex mens briefs left over from my Batman suit. All I would need is furry fabric from a local craft store. This fabric was NOT budget friendly I came to find. Then it hit me while I was at Walmart….a furry pillow! I ran over to the homegoods/bedding isle and there before me was a large 20"x26" black furry pillow. It was only $10 and it was perfect. My wife (have I mentioned how amazing she is?) ripped the pillow open and sewed it to the black mens briefs…BY HAND. The time had come…Skeletor would LIVE!!! MYAAAHH
    Last edited by RaulDuke; November 2, 2015 at 11:44am.

Court Magician
    All in all I did most everything I wanted with the costume. My daughter, after studying the original Battle Armor figure I picked up on eBay for $10, had an awesome suggestion for the boots. She said I should have bought some swimming flippers, cut and attached to give the spikey foot look. Hhhmmm….good idea. Maybe next time little one. As the boots stand now they are not action figure accurate, but to me they very much bring a Filmation touch to the costume which I love.

Hope you enjoyed reading, looking at the pics, and are inspired to try something similar for yourself! I for one can't wait for the chance to wear the suit again. Maybe at a con or ya know….grocery shopping, during Netflix and chill…the possibilities are endless.

So here is a breakdown of cost for my completed Battle Armor Skeletor costume:

Skull sock mask with moveable jaw: $45
    Gladiator chest armor (front and back) $30
    Blue Compression Shirt $12
    Blue Compression Pants $12
    Armor Gauntlets $1
    Skull lantern for chest piece $4

Purple spray paint $4each (used two cans)
    Flat Black spray paint $2each (used two cans)
    Acrylic Paint $2each (purchased metallic silver, glow-in-the-dark neon pink, and green)
    Black Duct Tape $4each (used two rolls)
    Black furry pillow $10
    Wood cut out shapes (for chest piece "bolts") $3

Pieces I already had on hand…Rubber Boots, bedsheet for hood, Black mens briefs, LOTS of cardboard

Court Magician