Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MotUC custom male hands

MotUC custom male hands

Hey guys,

it took me really a lot of time and some failed attempts until I found the right scale for my custom hands but now they are finished and ready to improve our MotUC figure's posing
    I modeled the hands using a 3D programm and had them printed by shapeways. You can swap them easily by removing the orginal hands simply by warming the lower arms of the figure with a hair dryer. My hands then can be plugged in and out without warming because I rounded the pegs.

Because the material is really sturdy you can only insert weapons with handles the size of He-man's sword or axe into the "aloft" hands. Bigger handles won't fit. Although the shapeways material is a little bit flexible when the part is thin in this case the fingers are to big to be bendy.

Here is the recipe for the matching skin color:
    I mixed vallejo game color cadmium skin no. 72099 (4 drops) and model color brown sand no. 70876 (6 drops) then two brush tips citadel blood red and one brush tip citadel snakebite leather. This made a pretty good Classic He-man skin color.

So, let me hear what you think:

Last edited by evilmike; July 27, 2013 at 02:22pm.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

GREAT work! That last shot is AWESOME!
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    Mike, thank you for doing what Mattel should be doing. Rounded plugins are the way to go.

Continue doing awesome work man, as a fan I appreciate what you bring to the table.
    Dolph He-man, Langella Skeletor, Exclusive God Skeletor, Karg, Lubic, Shock Troopers.

Join the movement, Movie figures sub for two thousand x-teen.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Those are awesome!

A couple of questions....

Are the hands smooth? It's been a while since I've ordered anything from Shapeways, but the last time I did, the material had kind of a rough, porous texture to it.

Also, are these available for anyone to order from Shapeways?

I assume that you had to paint them and they didn't come already matching He-Man's skin tone. Can you recommend paint colors to match? And is there anything special that you did to prevent paint from rubbing off when putting a weapon in his hand or removing it?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Great! I Missed the Open vintage hands so much. Well done as always. I will Order them

These are awesome. Thanks for making al of your custom stuff available on shapeways.

Some critiques:

1.Many of the open hands seem just a little larger than the original MOTUC grippy hands. It could be that the MOTUC hands just have tiny fingers, but I think they don't match exactly.(not ridiculous like NA ham hands)
    2. You are missing the classic left open hand like on He-man, Man-at-arms. Etc. I think vintage nuts would love this.
    3. I think you need to pull the pinky in on your fist. Just my opinion.
    Besides not being EXACTLY the same size as the original hands, they look GREAT!

These are really awesome!

Great! I must have these!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    DRAGSTOR in MotUC

Wow, thanks for your wonderful feedback .

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Those are awesome!

A couple of questions....

Are the hands smooth? It's been a while since I've ordered anything from Shapeways, but the last time I did, the material had kind of a rough, porous texture to it.

Also, are these available for anyone to order from Shapeways?

I assume that you had to paint them and they didn't come already matching He-Man's skin tone. Can you recommend paint colors to match? And is there anything special that you did to prevent paint from rubbing off when putting a weapon in his hand or removing it?
    The hands are produced in shapeways polished material so they are quite smooth. I use to apply two to three coats of paint which makes them absolutely smooth.

Yes, they are available in my shapeways shop (see my signature for it) as pairs and in different bundled forms.

I mixed vallejo game color cadmium skin no. 72099 (4 drops) and model color brown sand no. 70876 (6 drops) then two brush tips citadel blood red and one brush tip citadel snakebite leather. This made a pretty good Classic He-man skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766
    These are awesome. Thanks for making al of your custom stuff available on shapeways.

Some critiques:

1.Many of the open hands seem just a little larger than the original MOTUC grippy hands. It could be that the MOTUC hands just have tiny fingers, but I think they don't match exactly.(not ridiculous like NA ham hands)
    2. You are missing the classic left open hand like on He-man, Man-at-arms. Etc. I think vintage nuts would love this.
    3. I think you need to pull the pinky in on your fist. Just my opinion.
    Besides not being EXACTLY the same size as the original hands, they look GREAT!
    1. Critiques are always welcome . I think the hand you refer to which is a little bit larger can only be the "tough" hand. I have already scaled it down by 10% to fit perfectly. With the other hands I do not see that. Although the fingers of the motuc hands are really too small for the palms.
    2. You are right but I will take care of it should I make some more different hands
    3. Yes okay, it's your opinion
    Last edited by evilmike; July 27, 2013 at 02:22pm.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Amazing work!

female's hands were really cool, and these ones seems to be even better.

whish you're going to create "evil" hands also.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Amazing work!

female's hands were really cool, and these ones seems to be even better.

whish you're going to create "evil" hands also.
    Yes Mike, Charlie Brown is in right!

I just ordered warrior hands group and Female hands group on Shapeways shop (and other parts ...Zodak staff, Cosmic Enforcer Mace and Fisto iron fist).

Now we need evil hands (as Skeletor hand with forefinger pointed).
    DRAGSTOR in MotUC

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    You are doing some really great stuff here man. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by evilmike View Post
    I mixed vallejo game color cadmium skin no. 72099 (4 drops) and model color arena marron no. 70876 (6 drops) then two brush tips citadel blood red and one brush tip citadel snakebite leather. This made a pretty good Classic He-man skin color.
    Looks like it matches great. Too bad you didn't do the color mixing for Castaspella.

Which 3d program do you use anyway?
    It seems you do a lot more organic stuff like body parts.
    Are you using Zbrush or Blender?

These are great, Evil Mike. I ordered the female set a little while back and was very happy with them. Plan to order some of these when more fundage is available. And I look forward to some evil/monster hands in the future, if you plan on going in that direction.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Ordered a whole bunch of both hand sets - I just wanted to say THANK YOU - made all my figures a - NEW - and your filmation teela sword and sheild are both spot on - glad to own them - A+++++

These look incredible! It's amazing how much the figure's pose is transformed by having a different set of hands on them-- so much personality!

Will you be doing a set of clawed/ Skeletor type hands as well?
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    I wish I could afford to get a few sets of these. I just dread the idea of having to paint each individual set to match each figure. :P
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    These are great, Evil Mike. I ordered the female set a little while back and was very happy with them. Plan to order some of these when more fundage is available. And I look forward to some evil/monster hands in the future, if you plan on going in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by geocco
    Will you be doing a set of clawed/ Skeletor type hands as well?
    Actually I'm planning to do more pairs of some kind of wizard hands with claws for skeletor and other evil characters in the future

I think that a Trap Jaw styled Left hand that can grip items better could be popular. Optikk, Spector, Man-E-Faces, Karatti could use a hand.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    These are so amazing. I been waiting for this!
    Some time I'd like to buy a few
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    Awesome job as always, I was wondering if you plan on doing stuff like Spirits headgear.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Hey guys, I wanted to show you these wonderful fotos from my friend Leo Aquino . He always manages to amaze me with his awesome pics!

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Holy cow! Those photos are amazing! They really show off what you can do with all those new hand poses! They really make the figures come to life, in my opinion.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!