Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update on the Masters of the universe movie by Jon Chu ! The project is still alive !

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Interview at YoJoe.com says he's doing both movies.

YJ: So we know you’ve been tapped to helm G.I. Joe 3 as well as Masters of the Universe. Any idea which of the two films is first up to the plate? Are we going to have to suffer through a guy in furry shorts in theaters before we see more Roadblock and Snake Eyes?!

JMC: As of right now, Joe 3 seems to be the most ready to go and activated. We're getting it together right now and the studio is motivated to make it since the reaction was so great for Retaliation. I am still super passionate about Masters and we've done a ton of work on design and story but we're waiting on the studio to see when they'll be ready to actually pull the trigger fully on it.

read the whole thing here - http://forums.yojoe.com/news/123522-...hird-film.html
    Thanks for the interview. Even so I still don't think Sony will wait around for Jon Chu to direct GI Joe 3. I still think he'll get replaced. We see it all the time. A director get's himself attached to a project, then he get's another directing gig and, before you know it, he get's replaced on the first one.

everything is very clear.

they're hoping that Sony says "green light".

all up to Sony.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post

all up to Sony.
    Basically this. For whatever reason Sony are dragging their heels. Obviously MOTU will not be a cheap film, so that’s obviously the biggest concern. Maybe they want to get the script to the point where it’s more “cost effective”. What I do find quite encouraging is the fact that they’ve had the rights for a fair while now. Much longer than any of the other studios did before they let them go. To me, that still shows that Sony Pictures and Escape Artists want this thing to see the light of day. I’ve recently checked the domain names, too, and they recently renewed their MOTU domain names to next year.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Basically this. For whatever reason Sony are dragging their heels. Obviously MOTU will not be a cheap film, so that’s obviously the biggest concern. Maybe they want to get the script to the point where it’s more “cost effective”. What I do find quite encouraging is the fact that they’ve had the rights for a fair while now. Much longer than any of the other studios did before they let them go. To me, that still shows that Sony Pictures and Escape Artists want this thing to see the light of day. I’ve recently checked the domain names, too, and they recently renewed their MOTU domain names to next year.
    How much do you think merchandising plays into their decision? With GI Joe and Transformers, Hasbro is actively involved with the movie making and merchandising and considers both properties as "viable" as stand alone toys w/o multimedia push (Gen 1 stuff at least, being marketed toward collectors). Whereas, Mattel has very little faith in MOTU (IMO) which is evident in the way they are marketing the current toys (IMO). Is Sony expecting Mattel to deliver merchandise? Is merchandise even necessary to sell the movie?
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Sony should start to believe in franchises, especially after the resounding failure of After earth and White House Down.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 30, 2013 at 02:01pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Enough already. No one here is directing a movie now lets get back to the topic. Thank you
    Well no one here is directing a MOTU movie certainly (and thankfully ).

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post

all up to Sony.
    Why is this not comforting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    If everything is about Sony, why don't we do some kind of petition online, a Facebook campaign of some kind here on the .org to tell them we want a film. Keeping our personal opinions to ourselves regarding cast and genre (just to keep us together)
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    How much do you think merchandising plays into their decision? With GI Joe and Transformers, Hasbro is actively involved with the movie making and merchandising and considers both properties as "viable" as stand alone toys w/o multimedia push (Gen 1 stuff at least, being marketed toward collectors). Whereas, Mattel has very little faith in MOTU (IMO) which is evident in the way they are marketing the current toys (IMO). Is Sony expecting Mattel to deliver merchandise? Is merchandise even necessary to sell the movie?
    Well, one would think that the film would have a huge merchandising push accompanying it. We’re still being led to believe that Mattel thinks very highly of MOTU, although they don’t really show it all that much. Still, with the success of the Classics line, which in itself is a very small line that isn’t even a blip on Mattel’s radar, that surely shows Mattel that the MOTU brand as a whole could be big once again?

My annoyance is actually with Mattel more than the studios. Hasbro has proven time and time again that if you want a film of one of your brands made you go out and make it happen. If a studio says no then you just go to another studio and try again. Hasbro seems to do everything in their power to get the films made, no matter what. Mattel just doesn’t seem to do that. They get told “No” once and then that’s it. They just seem to be comfortable leaving the making of the film entirely up to the studio. I think Mattel does want a big-budget MOTU film, but I also think they aren't willing to do any of the heavy lifting in order to obtain it.

Not that I want Hasbro to purchase the MOTU brand, but just as an example, I have no doubt that if Hasbro did own the MOTU brand there would have been a big-budget movie long ago. I know people can be a bit condescending about films adapted from toy-lines, and I also know that some people may think I am seeing things through rose-tinted glasses because I'm a MOTU fan, but really, MOTU is actually a very rich brand. It has a deep mythology, great characters and a great story to back it all up. It is ripe for a summer blockbuster. Hasbro must be laughing their butts off at Mattel. Really.

In short: it’s not just the studios' fault. Mattel also has a big part to play. It just doesn’t seem as though they're willing to play ball. They don't seem to have any vision, which is quite a preposterous notion when you think about it.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 31, 2013 at 03:29pm.

Widget
    Or more. But hopefully not.
    People dont forget MOTU ha.

Bloody hell, now Jon Chu is being linked with Star Trek 3. As that’s also a Paramount film I assume the studio wants to keep him all to themselves. Even if he doesn’t end up doing Star Trek 3 I am now 99.99% convinced he is no longer directing MOTU.

Bloody hell, now Jon Chu is being linked with Star Trek 3. As that’s also a Paramount film I assume the studio wants to keep him all to themselves. Even if he doesn’t end up doing Star Trek 3 I am now 99.99% convinced he is no longer directing MOTU.
    Yo..............G.I. Joe to Star Trek...That's a leap!!! A tall leap.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Sony needs to put their money where their mouth is. Now is the time either put out or give the rights back to Mattel. Enough is enough already. This is messed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    Sony needs to put their money where their mouth is. Now is the time either put out or give the rights back to Mattel. Enough is enough already. This is messed up!
    I agree. Are all movies this difficult to get off the ground?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I agree. Are all movies this difficult to get off the ground?
    No, not at all. It’s starting to get a bit absurd now, actually. A lot of people say that MOTU is "difficult" to adapt properly. Without sounding like a biased fanboy, its not. That notion is complete and utter rubbish. MOTU is no more difficult than turning Transformers or GI Joe into live-action films. Hell, WB are making a World of Warcraft film that, by all accounts, is actually going to happen. MOTU has all the ingredients of a fun, action packed and visually extraordinary summer blockbuster. It really does. This project isn't dead yet. We're all still jumping the gun. But still, it’s getting a bit silly how it seems to be taking so long.

No, not at all. It’s starting to get a bit absurd now, actually. A lot of people say that MOTU is "difficult" to adapt properly. Without sounding like a biased fanboy, its not. That notion is complete and utter rubbish. MOTU is no more difficult than turning Transformers or GI Joe into live-action films. Hell, WB are making a World of Warcraft film that, by all accounts, is actually going to happen. MOTU has all the ingredients of a fun, action packed and visually extraordinary summer blockbuster. It really does. This project isn't dead yet. We're all still jumping the gun. But still, it’s getting a bit silly how it seems to be taking so long.
    Yes we are jumping the gun but can you really blame us. MOTU Fans have been waiting for this movie to happen over 10 years. Now Chu is being linked to direct Star Trek 3 and we all know what that means, another push back for the MOTU movie. This guy is obviously talented and that's why he getting opportunities to do other movies. Sony is wasting valuable time in my opinion. Again this falls under my previous text that they either need to get on the ball or give the rights back.

Court Magician
    Why do i have feeling that José Padilha will do it after he release Robocop 2014 at least he will get mentioned? In know it has something to do with Sony for instance