Thread: Discuss your feelings about this picture.

Hybrid View

Discuss your feelings about this picture.

Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 29, 2013 at 08:21pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Many of us traded action figures for Nintendo back in the days, at a age of around 10-13... But I know, what you mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Many of us traded action figures for Nintendo back in the days, at a age of around 10-13... But I know, what you mean...
    I think the image is a definition of these times, children of today and what is the reason why the action figures are no longer the main stars.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 30, 2013 at 02:39pm.
    MOTULA.ORG

Master of New Adventures!
    I think the real point is a child this age actually knowing how to operate an iPhone. When I was his age I was happy with a yo-yo and a Slinky. My Max was playing games on Kim's iPad -- at least it was her iPad until he got his hands on it -- when he was three. Just before his fourth birthday Kim got a call asking to verify that she'd purchased $350 worth of games in one day. You got it -- our little Max bought the games. The agent laughed and said this sort of thing happens once or twice a month. He was very nice, credited back the purchases and asked Kim to explain to Max that buying some games costs money. Kim did that and immediately afterwards locked down her credit card.

Seriously, it does astound me how advanced and tech-savvy kids are today. I remember when our oldest son, Alex, first got into video games close to a decade ago. It always amazed me that he was six and seven years old and could get a new game and instantly know how to play it. I'm not a gamer, partly because I could just never get the hang of how to play them. Most likely that's because I'm an older guy. Kim told me Alex could play the games instantly because "gaming is his native tongue." By extension I realized she meant that it was a second language for me, and thus much more difficult. But I've always been in awe of the fact that kids pick it up so quickly and are somehow wired for it.

When I a child the challenge for parents was to make children grow up faster. Today the challenge is to keep them young longer. In that regard I do think that action figures can play a positive role. Even more importantly, action figures and playsets allow children to use their creativity in a way that iPads and video games do not. There is certainly a place for both, but I can tell you that our Max has tons of action figures and playsets and he likes them every bit -- if not more -- that his iPad games.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 30, 2013 at 01:57pm.

Times change.

Our generation were the first to experience action figures as a big deal, before that it had only been sporadic "doll" lines which never hit it big. There's no reason to believe that it would be around forever. Look at toy trains, those were a huuuuuge deal in the 40's and 50's and today mostly just older men still buy them...

But yeah, it does make you a bit melancholy

What's to discuss?

The kid prefers video games to action figures.

I do as well so I can't say he is making the wrong choice.

So my feelings towards this picture are...I have no feelings towards this picture, it simply is what it is
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    So my feelings towards this picture are...I have no feelings towards this picture, it simply is what it is
    you have it, your feeling is The kid prefers video games to action figures.

This is not a critique of the present, I think it's great and very positive children to interact with the technology, but also I think it has its downside.
    video games serve you everything on a plate and with action figures fly your imagination.
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    What's to discuss?

The kid prefers video games to action figures.

I do as well so I can't say he is making the wrong choice.

these days io prefer toys. I'd rather spend $30 on a collectible than a video game. I still love gaming but i don't find the time to get really into it yet - I still have to finish arkham asylum and start arkham city, but i LOVE the game, I'm looking fwd to origins but honestly I'm putting more effort into getting the figures than the game

i look at the pic and think he's taking a toy break and playing some games. when I was a kid I was never just into one form of fun. we played nintendo, football, soccer, tag, hide and seek, man hunt, motu, transformers grandizer, voltron, the a-team, we'd build forts make big plans all summer long. when we dedicated time to say a water fight, the toys games and sports stuff stayed home (I carried my power sword and shield though to defend against water balloon attacks.)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure