Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 118 Discussion - 2014 Subscription Special!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 118 Discussion - 2014 Subscription Special!

Episode 118 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

***Val has been swamped with Power-Con 2013 and deadlines for Marvel Comics. He will post episodes 112, 113, 116 and 117 at a later date. He apologizes for the delay.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they are joined by Scott Neitlich and Eric Treadaway as they discuss
    2014 Subscription (click here to subscribe),
    why the lineup can't be revealed,
    examples of early reveal woes,
    2014 & 2015 figure teaser,
    explanation for Nepthu and Plundor,
    scare tactics,
    concerns about limited selection for remaining characters,
    core vintage toy expectations,
    the Unnamed One sub exclusive,
    why figures are at Big Lots,
    black-and-white concept illustrations by Axel Giménez,
    cost of figures,
    Gothitropolis Raven Action Figure by Four Horsemen,
    fans that are burnt out on MOTUC,
    why no funding of MOTUC directly from Mattel,
    day of sale stock,
    quality of the 2014 figures,
    unique tooling and more details on figures from POP
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on July 28, 2013
    Runtime: 1 hour, 27 minutes, 38 seconds

Direct link for Episode 118

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Yay! I just finished listening to every episode of Masters Cast and was left without some good MOTU talk on my way to and from work. Great to see it back on track
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Just saw this on Facebook! Really missed these. Can't wait to listen.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    GAH!!!! I was getting ready for bed and had to check the org for updates. Like everyone here, I'm having serious RGD withdrawls so HAVE to listen to this right away!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to the RGD crew, Eric and Scott for this!!!

Sooo looking forward to this.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I hope this gets people to Sub. There are a TON of cool figures left to be done. Great job guys!

Very enlightening! Hope this helps. In my opinion, this is one of the best years for reveals yet.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Wow. Everyone on the fence about the sub should listen to this.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

This was AMAZING! Can't wait to see what the rest of the figures look like stuff like Extendar, Dragstor, Blast Attack, Gwildor, Rio Blast, Scorpia, and such are going to look AMAZING!!
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

I can really see why Mattel won't reveal a full line up. Imagine people holding the subs hostage saying stuff like, replace Flutterina with Dragstor and I'll sign up, or get rid of Hydron petitions, etc. I like the way the sub is handled with reveals trickling out. Keeps excitement through out the year. We basically know who's coming to a certain extent. To get the full line up would create more problems than it solves.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Great episode!

I agree whole-heartedly with Eamon about pin-ups.

Is it a total coincidence that sales fell when Toyfare magazine ended and we lost the full page ads of the figures?

There HAVE to be people who will donate their time.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Great episode! Tons of great stuff in there.
    I think this is the first time they really explained the legal issue with revealing a full year well.
    I also thought the Big Lots thing (and why they couldn't sell it on Matty) was well explained too.

Also, Mermista sure got mentioned a lot!

Well after hearing a confirmation of the "scorpion like" and "blade" figure, i dont understand the worry of character selection that some may have. I really hope this helps with the subs.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Why wasn't the Standor figure mentioned in this episode? Or was it? I understand the figure is not included in the subscription, and it is funded from a different pool of money, but fans nonetheless use the figure as an example of Mattel's poor slot choices that are turning their attention away. Figures like Plundor, Nepthu, Spector, Star Sisters, etc. How many more figures are the Horsemen going to sculpt that fans don't want to pay for?

Still listening, but there's one thing I'd like to bring up regarding last minute subscribers. I think a large percentage of those come from international sites who offer the sub though their sites, for people without credit cards and to save on shipping. They will usually order their collected subs in the last day. This can be a factor in this.
    Last edited by TuShan; July 31, 2013 at 03:07am.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Why wasn't the Standor figure mentioned in this episode? Or was it? I understand the figure is not included in the subscription, and it is funded from a different pool of money, but fans nonetheless use the figure as an example of Mattel's poor slot choices that are turning their attention away. Figures like Plundor, Nepthu, Spector, Star Sisters, etc. How many more figures are the Horsemen going to sculpt that fans don't want to pay for?
    this fan and plenty others want Plundor.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I think the answer to your question was thoroughly addressed without them even needing to mention Standor. Perhaps the fault should lie with, as you mention, those fans who "use" it to fit their arguments. It's really a fallacy and shouldn't even be factored in, which is exactly why it wasn't mentioned I'm guessing.

Putting Standor aside (or even including him) everything comes down to individual opinions. At this point in the line there are very few characters left that EVERYONE wants. The figures you listed are have plenty of people who want them ... although some more than others for sure. I love Plundor and the Star Sisters personally.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Was looking forward to this pod cast to get some clarification & reflection.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by TuShan View Post
    Still listening, but there's one thing I'd like to bring up regarding last minute subscribers. I think a large percentage of those come from international sites who offer the sub though their sites, for people without credit cards ans to save in shipping. They will usually order their collected subs in the last day. This an be a factor in this.
    Not to sound too dubious-minded but I do think there are a lot of people who wait to the last minute because they enjoy sitting back and watching the drama play out. How many there are who knows, and there are a host of other reasons why people wait so long which probably accounts for a much larger percentage of the last minute push, but they do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I think the answer to your question was thoroughly addressed without them even needing to mention Standor. Perhaps the fault should lie with, as you mention, those fans who "use" it to fit their arguments. It's really a fallacy and shouldn't even be factored in, which is exactly why it wasn't mentioned I'm guessing.
    Eamon mentioned him briefly at the end along with Nepthu and Plundor. But I agree, the very notion that Standor is used to bring up an argument against the sub is just faulty logic as it has nothing to do with subs in any fashion.

Now, looking at the info we got here, 2014 starts to take shape even more. Everything in blue is just speculation:

Jan: Two-Bad
    Feb: Glimmer
    March: Hydron and 1st Quarter:Modulok
    April: Scorpia (teased and basically confirmed)
    May: Blade (teased and basically confirmed)
    June: Mermista (they talked about her a lot, and talked about the new interesting tooling future POP figures would have)
    July: Tung Lashor (or Squeeze, but frankly I feel like they'd make TL first as he's a more interesting figure and they are stacking the deck in favor of 2014)
    August: Extendar (because this is my birth month! And they said it was between Extendar and Blast Attak, though they could have just been throwing out names.)
    September: Gwildor (they said the three movie characters would be spread throughout the two years, and I'm guessing the majority will be in this year. We had one bad guy, so one good guy this year)
    October: EvilSeed 200X (we need some 200X representation, and he's one of the most requested. Could also be Prahvus.)
    November: Flogg (I think we are going to have to get to at least one more NA character this year. I feel like NA Skeletor is a good chance for a quarterly slot, too)
    December: Huntara (she'll either be at the end of the year or at the start of 2015)

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    The only Nepthu that you can find on web is the Mattel one.
    Where Scott saw all these requests about him? I saw a lot of Plundor support but for Nepthu?
    Finger crossed for the 2014 subscriptions!!!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Listening to the podcast has me psyched for the next couple of years. Madame Razz, Flutterina, Saurod, Perfuma, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeze, Evilseed etc. will all be brought to our shelves. I really hope people who are on the fence about subbing listen to this.

Also there HAS to be a mini-sub coming out probably during Toyfair which will be PoP or Filmation themed, because there are just too many of those characters left to include in 24 regular slots.

great episode - thanks for putting this together guys ...

one point i wanted to raise was the DOS stock issue - scott, you mentioned that you won't be holding much DOS stock outside of the subscription, purely for cost issues ... i totally get this, working in the construction industry we do exactly the same thing - a stock-pile of un-sold/un-used assets is just tied up money/cash-flow (in theory) ...

what i'm struggling with is that if 2014 is largely going to be made up of major/'all-star' characters - surely you are going to sell-out of them all on DOS as proven in the past?? ... two-bad, modulok, glimmer - they are gonna fly off the online-store shelves! ... whether folks have subscribed or not, you're pretty much guaranteed to sell out of everything next year based on what has been revealed/teased/mentioned ...

i get that you need guarantees, i get that it's a niche market that is driven by locked-in numbers - but the reality is not everyone is gonna subscribe, there are gonna be a lot of guys (me included) hitting up the store each month to buy figures ... surely we can make you hit your numbers too by contributing to and allowing sell-outs each month? (which are pretty much certain at this point, given the 2014 road-map ...) ... i've subscribed for 3 years and man, you got my support 100% through and through ...

if you want everything - great! buy a subscription ... i want this to go through too! ... but i think it's often forgotten that some folks (like me) just don't have the time in their private lives anymore to try to sell a bunch of toys they don't want ...

it's not a quality issue, it's not a CS issue, it's not a fan-faction issue - it's purely just wanting the freedom to pick out what you want, in a fun, kind of rushing adrenaline way - making sure you get online in time! ... plus, without adding the whole international shipping/customs and fans not wanting everything and having to go to the secondary market to re-sell scenarios - DOS should be a major part of your sales strategy ...

... and you're gonna sell out of everything!!!

scott and RGD guys - i hope you read this and understand my point, and i hope it comes across in the right tone ...

just my POV anyway - thanks for the show
    Last edited by tmc1984; July 31, 2013 at 06:28am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

unique tooling and more details on figures from POP
    *needs to hear what this is all about*
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Really great episode with a lot packed in. Really good information.

Every explanation given by Scott and Eric was clear, addressed the issues and hopefully will help ease the mind of those who have been concerned with the events of SDCC and the sub system in general. I think the biggest problem the line faces is that we are running out of characters that people consider "must have's" but Eric had a great arguement... the figures we have left to get to will be amazing action figures.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**