Thread: Better times....

Better times....

When the Internet was young before MySpace and Facebook and Twitter there was the org and even before then it was mailing group. Back then we were kind to each other and the Internet wasn't sullied with sarcasm and cruel posts. I don't know what has happened but the attitude of the world has changed and Somedays I wonder if it a place for me anymore. Perhaps I'm just getting old and I take things way too seriously but I long for days gone by and I doubt I will ever be able to recapture the magic that was the org 13 years ago.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSmooth View Post
    When the Internet was young before MySpace and Facebook and Twitter there was the org and even before then it was mailing group. Back then we were kind to each other and the Internet wasn't sullied with sarcasm and cruel posts. I don't know what has happened but the attitude of the world has changed and Somedays I wonder if it a place for me anymore. Perhaps I'm just getting old and I take things way too seriously but I long for days gone by and I doubt I will ever be able to recapture the magic that was the org 13 years ago.
    To be honest.. I agree to some extent. Just read how long it takes for some message boards or AOL comments to turn into an argument, or just become nasty, and you can almost make a drinking game out of it. So far, unlike a few other message boards that I've sworn off from life due to the down right Devilshly nasty people there...... This is the one place that hasn't changed all that much. It's still kind of fun to go too
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Heroic Warrior
    I think some of it is nostalgia. I've been here for about 8 years and lurked for a bit before that... Not as far back as the mailing list... but even now it doesn't seem THAT bad. Back then there were STILL arguments and bitterness. Various era wars and unpleasantness. As long as there is something NEW being discussed... there will be people who like it or hate it

It gets bad around here during sub time... but its still better then a lot of other message boards I've seen.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    This place seems pretty Disney to me...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Well you gotta take into consideration that the internet brings you into contact with far more people than you would normally. You get up, go to work, go home. Hang with friends, go shopping, whatever. How many public forums do people go to on a regular basis? Well now anyone can just by turning on a computer. I think a lot of folks don't understand how to interact with SO MANY differing opinions. They come across an opinion they can't comprehend over and over again - machineguned out at them without the ability to stop and think about those opinions. It creates this cruelty you're talking about mostly because people are responding right away rather than thinking about it. It's easy when you're not face to face.

So basically your complaint comes from the increased amount of people. You can't get around it. Adding more people will always add more problems.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Adding more people will always add more problems.
    That's why we have to CRUSH them!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    That's why we have to CRUSH them!
    you can't solve all your problems by crushing them. sure it's fun, but where do you go from there?
    Geek Media -

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    you can't solve all your problems by crushing them. sure it's fun, but where do you go from there?
    It's worked for me so far.

As for where to go after that? The only answer is to the all female firehouses that are all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSmooth View Post
    That is hardly an org problem at all, have you spent 5min on Youtube looking at the racist, sexist and downright nasty posts there. The internet and the generations that have grown up on the internet have no socialization skills. People speak emotionally and do think "think" about what they are saying or how its perceived by others. And everyone argues because they want their voice to be heard over the millions of other voices talking at the same time.

I don't yearn for how it used to be, I just try to ignore all the vial hate and overdramatic people and enjoy my life and associate with my close friends as I did before.

Your day is only ruined if you allow someone to ruin it for you
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

I don't yearn for how it used to be, I just try to ignore all the vial hate and overdramatic people and enjoy my life and associate with my close friends as I did before.

that's almost impossible..I have a drinking game going on some boards....how long before it turns into a non sensical argument? it usually never goes past three posts
    Geek Media -

that's almost impossible..I have a drinking game going on some boards....how long before it turns into a non sensical argument? it usually never goes past three posts
    But that is your own fault for paying attention. Things can only get to you if you let them, even here we have functions that allow you to block other users and keep their posts from showing up. People refuse to use that function (or do not know about it) and so they punish themselves engaging with people they generally do not like or have nothing in common with.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

It's a problem of many people don't know how to handle their passion for something. Also so many people tie up their likes and what they do with as defining points of who they are, which means they often take it as a personal offense when someone speaks out negatively towards something.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I hang here because it's a source of new information concerning action figures. And not for any other reason. And I do my best to try provide related news and information that others might find useful or insightful. When I stop collecting figures, you will all finally be rid of me.

I do consider this to be an elitist site. But I'm too old to waste my life trying to change other people.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I understand where you are coming from because I am a very sensitive and tender soul. I can easily get my feelings hurt or misread what someone is saying and take it to heart (which is very easy to do with the written word). However, you have to try to learn to just ignore posts that are negative, hateful, and full of anger...and just move on.

Also, you need to realize, that many people tend to be LOUDER and much more rude on forums (than they would be in a face-to-face conversation) because they can hide behind this computer screen and act all big and bad with little to no consequences. In real life, most are as innocent and defenseless as a mouse. A computer screen somehow empowers them.

So, don't sweat the small stuff. You will never meet most of these people and therefor what they say should probably not matter too much to you in the grand scheme of things.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I do consider this to be an elitist site.

From what i've seen of this site? This one doesn't even come CLOSE to the ones I think would fall in that category. Try being ignored by the 'A Listers' just so they could laugh at you as you flounder, while still helping others. THAT'S an elitist site..
    Geek Media -

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    That is hardly an org problem at all, have you spent 5min on Youtube looking at the racist, sexist and downright nasty posts there. The internet and the generations that have grown up on the internet have no socialization skills. People speak emotionally and do think "think" about what they are saying or how its perceived by others. And everyone argues because they want their voice to be heard over the millions of other voices talking at the same time.

Your day is only ruined if you allow someone to ruin it for you
    Spot on! Excellent post
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

after browsing some of the toy posts, I can sort of see what you mean ;o).....

But this is also compounded by the problem that some hard headed ******* like myself have their own set opinion on things, and no amount of explaining (however logically put) is going to change that opinion ;o).
    I TRY not to let it get to me though. We are all outsiders looking in, after all....
    Geek Media -

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    after browsing some of the toy posts, I can sort of see what you mean ;o).....

But this is also compounded by the problem that some hard headed ******* like myself have their own set opinion on things, and no amount of explaining (however logically put) is going to change that opinion ;o).
    I TRY not to let it get to me though. We are all outsiders looking in, after all....
    So you admit to refusing to allow your optinion to be changed by logic and reason, then complain about how bad a place the internet is?
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    So you admit to refusing to allow your optinion to be changed by logic and reason, then complain about how bad a place the internet is?
    I'm not complaining about it.....I just see the original posters point of how people get a little...heated discussing these types of things. I STILL think that compared to other places I've been on the net, that have degenerated into pure cavemen mentality, this place is rather tame. Sort of like yelling softly compared to talking loudly ;o).
    Geek Media -