Thread: Stay Puft - DST bank or SDCC Mattel?

Hybrid View

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar

Stay Puft - DST bank or SDCC Mattel?

I want to get a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to go along with the Retro-Action Ghostbusters... the DST bank can be had for under $20, has no articulation but is also solid plastic. However, the SDCC Stay Puft can be had for around $60(which I admit, I expected them to cost far more being an SDCC exclusive) and is twice the size, so it's tempting me. But I know it's made of foam rubber which might present some QC concerns, and being 20" or so tall means figuring out where to put the thing. If I'm going to spend $60 and dedicate that much vertical space to it I want to know for certain that the foam isn't giving issues with cracking or splitting, since I'm aware of other Mattel stuff that uses such materials(Swamp Thing, Snout Spout) having issues. The room in question is always air conditioned(it has my PC in it so it can't get hot) which could also be a factor in the durability of the material.

I know it's silly to try and get a Stay Puft that's to scale with anything, since this is still probably too small to be to scale with even the Minimates, but Stay Puft was a giant so that alone tempts me more than the DST bank. I need to know if the foam material they used is holding up over time.

I have the Matty 20" Foam Marshmallow Man and he is holding up great. The foam material on mine is holding up great with no yellowing, etc. I love how massive he is also!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I have both. My huge Matty Stay Puft has been in it's box for a long time, so I haven't looked at it in a while to see how it's doing. I'll have to check on it soon.

Aside from the yellowing that some people had, I haven't heard of too many problems with it.

Having said that, putting size and materials aside, I actually like the look and sculpt of the bank a lot more. The face on the Matty version just isn't as accurate. The bank almost looks like it stepped right out of the movie.

The bank does have a small amount of articulation. The arms move and the head can be turned since it is removable to get any change out of the bank that you put in there. But do be careful, the blue coloring on his collar thing can rub off onto the white of the head if turned too much and to forcefully.

I don't know how I would feel about posing the bank with the retro action Ghostbusters since he isn't that much taller than they are. Like you said, getting accurate scale is hard, but if it were me, I would want him to look reasonably larger than the figures.

I really wish someone would make a stay puft the size of the Matty one, but with an otherwise identical sculpt to the bank.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

If you're going with the Kenner theme, as the RA accessories did, then a Stay Puft being only slightly taller isn't unthinkable- Kenner's first figure was barely an inch taller. I'm not worried about removing the head as I have my own change bank already.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    If you're going with the Kenner theme, as the RA accessories did, then a Stay Puft being only slightly taller isn't unthinkable- Kenner's first figure was barely an inch taller. I'm not worried about removing the head as I have my own change bank already.
    That is true. I had several of the Real Ghostbusters figures as a kid including Stay Puft.

If the size isn't a deal breaker, then I'd say go with the bank simply because it is the better, more accurate sculpt. That's just my opinion anyway.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I'm not too worried about the tiniest details of the sculpt being 100% accurate, but I am concerned with the Matty one being easily damaged or falling over. A single shelf tumble could scratch up the foam pretty bad. I could override that with neodymium magnets glued to the feet but between size and weight it'll need lots of magnets. That is, of course, assuming the super glue doesn't eat the foam or the foam rips if the magnets are tugged on if it starts to tip.

I think I will go for the bank. The Matty one has size going for it but the foam worries me and the size may work against it in both shelf room and keeping it from tipping. But if the price on the Matty one stays low I could get one later, around the end of the year or something. I am curious as to why the prices on it are still no more than retail.

I remember owning the Neca version years ago and being disappointed. Its arms stuck out wide(both of the Kenenr versions had the same flaw), it had an angry face and the texture of coarse sandpaper.