Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if they re-imagined the line...again? Would you return...again?

What if they re-imagined the line...again? Would you return...again?

In 2008 we were blessed with MOTU arriving at our door once a month. The line had been in limbo for years after 200x, then Stactions, so in 08 we had figures based on the 80s look.

Honestly I was skeptical at first because as much as I loved MOTU as a kid, the 200x series was my fave. But MOTUC grew on me and I have embraced it.

The thought of it possibly ending highly disappoints me. I jump at the chance for a sub of ANY figures and wish I could order 10 or 20 just to support it more.

In my mind there are so many reasons why it doesn't have to end. Two of those reasons come down to:

1. A different sculpt/style
    2. More character variants

If Matty and the 4H started redoing all the characters in 200x style, or maybe an entirely new unique style, would you be in for another round of years of character releases?

Or if they started releasing variants and characters from the recent comic books?

I think tons of fans would be elated to see variants like Jungle He-Man (who has been referenced in some bios) , fire skeletor, even Samurai Man At Arms and disco Skelly! And it wouldn't have to stop there--they could start trying variants of Snake Men and other bad guys too. I know the recent poll brought some of this to light so I hope that's how Matty is looking.

I guess I just see so much more that can be done in this line with more A list characters and I jus hope Mattel is considering that.

It seems with characters like Plundor you have a double edged sword: while great that D-list characters are made, not everyone wants those figures. For me, I may not be crazy about him but in years to come I think more people will realize its nice to have those outside characters and they will regret not getting them.

My main point is, would you support this line being re imagined again in a new style?

I'm like you, I love the line and don't want to see it end. But you're a little bit all over the place in this post. I don't think a reimagining is on the table right now. It's time to buckle down and finish out the remaining vintage, POP, NA, etc. a-list characters over the next two years. After that is done we can definitely see who is still in for more variants, concepts and even more obscure and new stuff. Lets stick to the plan and get through 2014 & 2015 first before reimagining things!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    In fairness, I'd have to wait to see what it looks like before I could honestly say yes or no.

But I'm guessing no. Masters of the Universe Classics captures everything I love about Masters of the Universe figures. Big bulky interpretations with classic colors and iconic looks. Heck, I even like what they've done with New Adventures and concept characters in this line. It's a nice uniformed look, which is exactly perfect. It finally brings in everything on a level playing field.

Also given how much money, time, and space I've spent on MOTUC, another line would have to be better than this one, and I highly doubt that's possible. Action figure costs continue to rise, and that's going to be a factor for many of us, as how much are we going to dish out again when we already have what we wanted with MOTUC.

MOTUC is about as perfect as we're going to get, I don't want any second rate line from here on out.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Yeah, there's not much more Ultimate a line could get at this point. If we actually manage to finish up the New Adventures in a post-2015 scenario, there would never need to be another MOTU toyline in my life.

Mattel's focus with any new media, movie or otherwise, will need to be about making He-Man an icon for another generation. Like the 25th Anniversary G.I.Joe collection and the new, Generation 1 accurate Masterpiece line, the nostalgia properties of the 80s are getting definitive updates for the grown-up kids who were fans when they were huge. Once this is over, I'm willing to hand these properties back to their owners, the kids, and move on with my life.

If there's awesome Masters toys in the stores when I have kids... then we can revisit this topic.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

No, Classics is it for me, I'm not going to bother myself with any (past or) future MOTU line.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

I would not be interested in a new line based on the 80s designs. However if they took Motu in a completely new direction (like Habro does with Transformers every couple of years) AND I would happen to like that new direction them yes, why not?
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Heroic Warrior
    I would support it.

But I don't think there will be another line (reimagined or otherwise) 10 plus years after this one dies off. Things have to go into circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Yeah, there's not much more Ultimate a line could get at this point. If we actually manage to finish up the New Adventures in a post-2015 scenario, there would never need to be another MOTU toyline in my life.

Mattel's focus with any new media, movie or otherwise, will need to be about making He-Man an icon for another generation. Like the 25th Anniversary G.I.Joe collection and the new, Generation 1 accurate Masterpiece line, the nostalgia properties of the 80s are getting definitive updates for the grown-up kids who were fans when they were huge. Once this is over, I'm willing to hand these properties back to their owners, the kids, and move on with my life.

If there's awesome Masters toys in the stores when I have kids... then we can revisit this topic.
    Very well put Straight Edge.
    Mattel must focus on truly bringing in new fans if this franchise is going to gain new ground.

A new movie, cartoon etc would be needed to bring new blood in.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I'd probably do the core cast in a different scale (maybe more than the core if it's in a 3.75" scale).
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Absolutely not... I would be exhausted to even hear about it.

It would have to be MAJORLY different, or in another scale with a whole other aesthetic. Even then I'd have to think about it, 'cause DANG MAN there are so many MotUC figures. I'm running out of space in my second re-do of my MotUC holding space. The 200X stuff just takes up a little tub, so I still keep them ('cause they're awesome) but another redo in a similar scale to either would be overkill.
    Last edited by Alexx; August 4, 2013 at 02:44pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Nope. When 200X was around I was hoping for good articulation. It wasnt there. Now we get great sculpts and good articulation. Costs keep going up and, lets face it, the action figure market is dying out and giving way to the micros and blind bags.

So no - this is it for me, MOTUC is the end of the He-Man road.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Absolutely not.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

I have every station released and would love a return to that format after classics. 4 a year at 50 bucks a pop. I'm there!!

No. MOTUC is the Masters of the Universe line I've always wanted. I wouldn't be remotely interested in a new line with a different style or scale.

NO WAY! Classics is it for me, and if they can't finish this, they've lost me for everything going forward. IF they can finish 2014 they stand a chance of keeping me as a customer.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Heroic Warrior Science Friction's Avatar
    It really depends on how it looks, but really, I see the Classics line as not only the best MOTU line ever but one of the best toy lines. It would be hard to top, and really, it would never equal Classics as I doubt they would revisit so many minor and fan demanded characters again. Any future line would probably be handled a lot differently, and I think would be the result of new media. Instead of Classics winding down, I hope the upcoming movie breathes new life into it and it can continue. Maybe see Matty re-release a lot of the extremely HTF figures like Teela and Fisto. Make updated figures of characters that had bad QC problems, and continue with requested variants. I don't know. I would be much more likely to continue buying MOTU product if it were a continuation or extension of Classics than some new incarnation. If it's not broke, why fix it?

Heroic Warrior
    What if they re-imagined the line...again? Would you return...again?
    No, I wouldn't return and collect a 4th incarnation of the same characters. What I really want is ALL vintage figures made in MOTUC, and more cool characters in MOTUC style. After MOTUC, I'm done. And when I think about the total lack of respect Mattel has for its customers, I'm pretty sure I'm done with Mattel too.

Nope. Classics are the definitive versions for me. I am really not a fan of 200X designs, I think they are awful actually, and really generic. I'm glad 200X was not a major presence in MOTUC.

If they can't even finish Classics, how on earth will they start on a reboot? I won't support it. The only thing I would buy from Mattel again are Filmation variants.
    Last edited by sirsniffy; August 4, 2013 at 11:36am.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I would only support a new line if it were an EXTENSION of classics. So new figures in the same scale and relative style of Classics. Lets face it...MOTU was a phenomenon that is unique to our age group. mostly males that were between ages 4-12 in 1985.

I doubt any movie, cartoon, or comic book will ever return MOTU back to size it was when we were kids. Classics is out last chance to get EVERYTHING--this has been a 5 year ride for what will be just about 200 figures when its done. I don't know that Mattel, nor the fans, have the stomach to go another 5-7 years in another 10 years.

Any future line, collector, or retail, will have fewer figures a certainly fewer fans. But if they can keep classics going, just having new figures that fit with the classics collection, I would keep buying because it would fee; like an extension of classics.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

The only type of MOTU line I would collect again would be a Masters of the Universe Masterpiece collection of super detailed high high quality/high end Hot Toys type figures. I could justify that as I am sure releases would be less voluminous and spread apart from one another.

Other than that I am really not interested in collecting all these characters all over again. I feel they should keep doing MOTUC indefinitely by releasing new variants and characters to add to our huge collections even if after 2015 its only 4 or 6 a year.

If they did 200x characters in MOTUC style, absolutley. Otherwise, no way.

They should remake the Classics next year. Then redo them again in a couple years. Redo them every couple years for no other reason than to deprive us of other slots the majority of us would instead want. AND so that we can start threads like this!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

This will happen sooner or later, anyway, and hopefully in the form of a movie. I'm a MOTU fan first and foremost, and a toy collector second.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
    If Matty and the 4H started redoing all the characters in 200x style, or maybe an entirely new unique style, would you be in for another round of years of character releases?
    No 200X style for me, if the line went that direction, I'd be gone for sure. 2013 Comic style....no real interest in that either....I'd buy a Mini Masters line, I like them, and they're a good novelty line that if priced right can sell decently....but that's about it.

Or if they started releasing variants and characters from the recent comic books?
    Not for me.

I think tons of fans would be elated to see variants like Jungle He-Man (who has been referenced in some bios) , fire skeletor, even Samurai Man At Arms and disco Skelly! And it wouldn't have to stop there--they could start trying variants of Snake Men and other bad guys too. I know the recent poll brought some of this to light so I hope that's how Matty is looking.
    Jungle He-Man isn't a variant, he's not He-Man....his name is Oo-Larr, and he'd be a unique character like Vikor.

I like SMAA buck wise, but I have no use for a MAA head that is a Snake....my MAA doesn't slither and hiss.... I don't like the thousand 200X variants, but I do like Ice Armor He-Man....and I wouldn't object to a more 200X looking Evil-Lyn.

But a line of a thousand variants would not thrill me, unless they were ones that made sense, like much wanted variants like Filmation Hordak, Clawful, He-Man, Skeletor, MAA, Evil-Lyn & Mer-Man, and maybe to be fair give 200X fans their He-Man, Skeletor Evil-Lyn and Adam....

But for me to buy a Variants based line, it would have to be a Classics subline, with Classics styling so the new figures still fit with my old ones.

It seems with characters like Plundor you have a double edged sword: while great that D-list characters are made, not everyone wants those figures. For me, I may not be crazy about him but in years to come I think more people will realize its nice to have those outside characters and they will regret not getting them.
    While I'm not thrilled about Plundor in his current figure....I'll still take him, no complaints, same with Nepthu....not thrilled about his appearance, they could have done much much more with him detail wise being he has that Egyptian motif. But I'll still take him, and I for one like some of the "Fillers" much more than some of the Vintage....

I like Demo Man way better than Clawful or Moss Man, or Draego better than Marzo, Faceless One, NA figures....etc... My tastes are with what looks cool filler or not, Ditztroyer, Draego Man, Demo Man, Granamyr, Griffin....etc.... Spector, SLL & Cy-Chop....not so much.

My main point is, would you support this line being re imagined again in a new style?
    To sum it up, for me....likely not.

However if the line were to have a more realistic look, not 200X, not new Comics, but look like real people while still keeping true to the original characters looks, then I'd give it a chance....but otherwise....no. But likely unless they scaled it back to true 6" or even back to Vintage 5" figures, these 7" figures would be much more money than I'd want to spend.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!