Thread: 2 different original Whiplash figures?

Heroic Warrior

2 different original Whiplash figures?

I purchased a Whiplash figure MOC a while back, and at the bottom of the back of the card where it shows the manufacturer/copyright info, there is a sticker over the entire area with the same information that would normally appear in that spot. It is covering whatever text was already on the card. It looks official (placed by the toy manufacturer), so I didn't think much of it.

I purchased another Whiplash figure MOC on ebay a week ago. This one has no sticker on the bottom. On the front of the card it has a section at the top left side that says "NEW". The one that says "NEW" was made in Hong Kong, but the other one says made in China. Both carded figures have 1983 at the bottom of the back. My question is- What is the difference between the two? Are they different releases? Is one of them some sort of foreign figure?

Any help is appreciated!

Nondescript Cannon Fodder Snoutful's Avatar
    I want to say that's something typical of that particular wave of figures, with the primary blast being mfg'd in HK and some coming from China. Because I have two Clawful MOCs with the China sticker over one. They both have the same "buzz off"-style legs but the brown lines on the front of his armor are much darker on the HK figure than the China one. Both are U.S. Mattel releases, though.

With Whiplash, it could be that his spear is a shade darker of orange in one version than the other (which I have seen in loose versions of him personally) or that his head is more squeezable/soft (but you're not going to want to open them to test the latter postulate ).

I'm sure the real experts will chime in and definitively help you out, but this is what I can tell you from my own collecting experience.
    I was going to share!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoutful View Post
    I want to say that's something typical of that particular wave of figures, with the primary blast being mfg'd in HK and some coming from China. Because I have two Clawful MOCs with the China sticker over one. They both have the same "buzz off"-style legs but the brown lines on the front of his armor are much darker on the HK figure than the China one. Both are U.S. Mattel releases, though.

With Whiplash, it could be that his spear is a shade darker of orange in one version than the other (which I have seen in loose versions of him personally) or that his head is more squeezable/soft (but you're not going to want to open them to test the latter postulate ).

I'm sure the real experts will chime in and definitively help you out, but this is what I can tell you from my own collecting experience.
    Thanks for the info. I am still stumped on this one though. I thought for sure someone out there on this site would know the difference between the two types of carded figures. This is the 2nd toy forum I have tried for this. I guess my search for an answer will continue.