Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do She-Ra fans have to pay more?

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvid View Post
    I grew up with both. I do have a soft spot for the She-Ra characters. Some of them became my overall favorites! (Huntara, Scorpia - To name a few!) And yes, i do feel it's a shame that we will most likely never get to see the likes of Sweet Bee or Perfuma etc in MOTUC. A shame... but not a big deal for me. Those characters, to me, didn't stand out much.

It's
    Angella, Huntara, Entrapta and Mermista that seem to me, should be created in the next 1-2 years. Especially Angella! Come on....

Sweet-Bee, Peekablue, Perfuma, Spinerella, Fluterina or even Double Trouble are probably unlikely to all make the cut.

With Glimmer and Scorpia on their way... i'm excited! I just hope i'm proven wrong and the next 1-2 years are going to be great for those who actually enjoy the PoP figures as well as the MOTU figures.
    I bet you will be getting all of those characters.

The POP figures Should have got their own line once this line got started. I'm in the camp that I didn't want more than the Horde members of POP and even those were not necessary. Asides from that I would have wanted She ra. As for your Shadow weaver beef? She was announced as the exclusive for subs BEFORE subs went on sale. Personally If they did make madam razz the exclusive, you could buy my double at the going rates for NOT subbing in the first place. the whole first half of the 2013 line up kinda sucked minus things like Ram Man and Jitsu . Now there is "apparently 23 MUST HAVE" figures left and I only count maybe 10 that I kinda want on that list. Yet I'm still subbing for 2 for the next 2 years (unless 2014 turns into the slap in the face that 2013 has become)
    My apologies go out to
    Ram Man
    Jitsu
    Octavia- yes she is so cool even if she is POP
    Mantenna
    Horde Troopers
    Snake face
    Clamp Champ- These last 2 are just barely on this list

Lots of stuff has come out in the last year that I don't want yet here I am plugging away at the ones I want and keeping my fingers crossed that I get some nice surprises along the way that don't seem to be on the radar at all.

So in closing suck it up POP fans the majority MOTU fans are going through the motions too..
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    MOTU is now all inclusive, and that is pretty awesome.

I believe one of these two things happened:

1) Classics was about expanding on a concept that was "classic." Much like MYP did (remember also, the 4H where involved in that line, and to them, it was all vintage He-Man reimagined. MYP had nothing to do with PoP or NA). It started with the roots of Masters of the Universe, and tried to make it better, and fill in some of the gaps that were seen as "could have beens" or other stuff that fit well with the vintage vibe. The first year looks exactly like this. The line gets popular by the middle of the year, and they start testing the waters for what all they can add. Including mostly figures that jive well with the vintage mentality. 2 in 2010. And honestly, you can't have Hordak without She-Ra. Eventually everything sales. It's all gold. Fans want everything from all the incarnations as imaginations go wild. Scott doesn't pass up a good opportunity, and we get the line transformed into the behemoth it is.

2) They didn't think MOTUC would sell at all. And needed to kick start if with the core group. I can see this, but PoP and NA are still really skimpy. They would have had at least one from each of these ready to release in 2009, right!?

---------------

I don't believe it was initially intended to be all-inclusive, and that Scott just hates PoP and NA so much he cuts them down to skin and bones. I think it was done earlier. Clearly. But not from hate. Maybe marketing feedback. I do believe the line had the nimbleness to be all inclusive, and would have been pitched from the start as a line that ~could~ include everything. But the focus was super clear, we all just got lucky that it did really well and they were able to ~expand that roadmap~ to hell and back.

Look it's never good when anyone starts suggesting characters be moved from one year to the next as sub bait. This for me was the Horde Troopers & Scorpia. Even though Scott said the 4th quarter Item was a fan demanded army builder for 2013 people were saying no push the troopers to 2014 as sub bait or save scorpia for 2015 as sub bait etc.

all I can say is what fans want moved from one year to the next doesn't matter at this point. 2014 is set and if scott has Madame Razz planed ( and I hope she is) then we will get her. Of the two years 2014/2015 Scott & the Horsemen have said 2014 is the best year. So have faith that your favorites will be in 2014. Right now we as a fan base need to pull together and make 2014 happen so that we get all the fantastic figures that are planned.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Heroic Warrior
    This thread is like somebody wondering why the first 2 series of SW: Black only has 1 prequel character between them.

And before somebody has a hissy fit, that is not an attempt to compare POP to the PT in terms of quality. It IS a relative comparison in terms of popularity amongst their target demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    If you will recall from Scott's blogs, He-Man, Beast Man and Skeletor didn't do well at first either. The line only took off once we got to Stratos.
    It took a bit for the word to spread on Classics. Then, a strong majority of the vintage figures in the line were fast sell outs.

I strongly disliked Shadow Weaver being a sub exclusive. I hope Maddam Razz with Broom is a monthly or SDCC item.

I actually think Madame Razz being a sub lure should be taken as a compliment of the character! She's a definite major part of the mythos. I'm REALLY pulling/hoping for a POP sub next year. I hope it happens. I think lots of people would be much happier with where POP is if that happened.

I think this topic had more to do with POP (and NA as well) "Taking a One for the team" and not having wave 1 complete when MOTU has waves 1-3 complete, 2 figures shy of completing wave 4, about half of waves 5 and 6; than it has to do with paying in a monetary sense.

The roadmap burned through the key vintage folks WAY Too fast! I wonder what would have happened if Zodac, MAA, Stratos, Triklops were on the 2014-2015 character limbo...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    It would be interested to see. Obviously Rio Blast, Extendar and Two bad aren't helping secure 2014 for us.

It is a bit disheartening, and boils down to poor planning. The original roadmap was making a "robust" line, but really vintage did pretty darn well by terms of the original map. One thing that I feel is true of POP fans is that they are more likely to support the entire line, and be "all in" collectors. In my experience it is rare for me to have talked with a POP MOTUC fan that just hates every MOTU figure and doesn't want to have them at all. Actually, I don't think it has ever happened.

It saddens me to think that POP fans have been supporting the line in the hopes of getting their favorite characters, and now are in danger of not ever seeing them. While it would suck to end without say Rotar or Rio Blast, I don't think it is as bitter a pill to swallow as ending up missing a huge part of the cast.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    Most of those mentioned were made before it even was a sub with a roadmap. Remember, this was only supposed to be a 6 figure set.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    But when it came to the toys... they were girls toys! Soft goods, brushable hair and pastel colors... for girls! (or... and I risk trouble for going there... for gay boys.
    or for straight boys without that particular insecurity.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    ( the new versions are far less girly I will admit.... but the stigma to the buyer is still there.))
    unfortunately you're right...though again, it's a stigma that mainly dwells in the insecurities of certain buyers. interestingly enough, when i bring a lady over and she sees my POP figures...her reaction is not to give me a raised eyebrow or a sidelong glance...it's typically "OMG She-Ra!!" followed by several minutes of impassioned discussion.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

..I was just reading how someone suggested that figures of Razz and Broom be used as "subscription bait for 2015". I took that to mean as a gift given away if you subscribe, like Shadow Weaver once was.
    Just for the record - that's actually not what 'sub bait' means. Subscription bait refers to any figures (whether shown or confirmed to be coming for the coming sub-year prior to or during the sell-in for that sub) that are desired enough to potentially cause customers to buy a subscription.

In short; Figures that Mattel thinks will make you buy a sub. Sorceress was sub-bait, for example.

As for the rest -- well -- the reasons that POP does not get the attention in this line that the more boy-oriented stuff gets has not only been discussed to a nauseating degree, but it's also painfully and almost ridiculously obvious without having to discuss it. So.. there you go.

Heroic Warrior
    I doubt that if my wife looked at my MOTUC collection she would even notice "a shelf of girls". Now, if I ONLY had a shelf of PoP girls, she would probably just think I'm being perverted or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    I doubt that if my wife looked at my MOTUC collection she would even notice "a shelf of girls". Now, if I ONLY had a shelf of PoP girls, she would probably just think I'm being perverted or something.
    My Wife knows I have them, she even likes Octavia, and she was never into MOTU or POP ever, and she notices all the girls from Teela through Octavia. On a side note, she also likes Icer alot. I have all the Classics Females except 3....Goddess, BG Teela & Shadow Weaver (since I sold her...), I would own SW again though, just not the previously mentioned two. I would buy the rest of POP, and before getting into MOTUC 2 years ago, I was never really a POP fan, mainly because I never watched it, and I was never into dolls, but now, I have them, and I'm happy to see them in my collection.

I can't wait for Castaspella.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I agree with DisneyBoy. It's not fair. I do not like POP. I really never wanted POP in the line, BUT as there are so many POP supporters like DisneyBoy, I have been able to get figures like Dactys, Fangman, Demoman etc..... It really isn't fair that with all of their support they still don't have key characters. I will keep supporting the line even if all the vintage figs are made, because ppl like DB have kept supporting the line for me.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I agree with DisneyBoy. It's not fair. I do not like POP. I really never wanted POP in the line, BUT as there are so many POP supporters like DisneyBoy, I have been able to get figures like Dactys, Fangman, Demoman etc..... It really isn't fair that with all of their support they still don't have key characters. I will keep supporting the line even if all the vintage figs are made, because ppl like DB have kept supporting the line for me.
    Thank u> Very well said. I wish there was a like button for this. Hell i would stand up and give you a round of applause.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

I actually think it would be a compliment to She-Ra and the Madame Razz character if she was used as a sub exclusive lure. As a huge new PoP fan I think we'll get all our characters and things will be fine...except for NA fans

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Great Post! it exemplifies the "We're in this together" spirit that i wish was much more pervasive among MOTUC collectors.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Thank you, to all the guys here who get it. The guys who, like I, love all things motu.

He-Man AND She-Ra are motu. They always have been and always will be, and I will always feel badly for the people who refuse to participate in the brand experience from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude
    But when it came to the toys... they were girls toys! Soft goods, brushable hair and pastel colors... for girls! (or... and I risk trouble for going there... for gay boys.
    Because every gay male is a flamboyant drag queen who fantasizes about being a woman and dressing like a woman or using pastels ?

I liked pop. I did NOT like Jem or Barbie or even Golden Girl. How do you explain that? I'm serious. Explain why I didn't like those other toy lines, and why I did, along with pop, like MOTU, Star Wars, GI JOE, Transformers, Captain Power, TMNT, etc.

Not a single fashion in any of those lines.

It's a good thing that, unlike the rest of the animal kingdom, and unlike during the Renaissance, males are the plainer of the sexes. I don't know that most people here who apparently STILL have a problem with pop figures from 30 years ago being too "girly" (our brand manager included) could deal with that reality. LoL!!

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    MOTUC should never have been all encompassing. The reason it's faltering is NA ans POP.
    You're wrong.

Without the people buying for ALL the factions, you'd have NO figures.
    In other words, if it had been made clear from the get-go that no She-Ra characters would be included, hardly any of the pop fans would have bought ANY figures. Why? Because they'd have been angry.

And I'm sorry, but most of the pop fans but multiple subs. Many people who complain about pop (and NA) haven't even subscribed ONCE. yet they continue to complain, while the pop fans they disrespect subsidize the line.

Honestly, out of nearly five years worth of figures, there have been IN THE SUB:

Adora
    Bow
    She-Ra
    Catra
    The Star Sisters
    Frosta
    Netossa
    Castaspella

and

Flipshot
    Slush Head
    Optikk
    Karatti

the rest have not been in the sub...

You mean to tell me that the Brand's problems are due to THOSE figures??

That's balderdash.
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 9, 2013 at 12:42am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Hopefully anyone held for 2015 as a sub lure will still be released. For instance, this year, if the sub fails, we'd still get the first 4 releases quarterly. Hopefully 2015 would get the same treatment. So in the event 2015 fails, we'd still get the first 4 releases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Thank you, to all the guys here who get it. The guys who, like I, love all things motu.

He-Man AND She-Ra are motu. They always have been and always will be, and I will always feel badly for the people who refuse to participate in the brand experience from that perspective.

Because every gay male is a flamboyant drag queen who fantasizes about being a woman and dressing like a woman or using pastels ?

I liked pop. I did NOT like Jem or Barbie or even Golden Girl. How do you explain that? I'm serious. Explain why I didn't like those other toy lines, and why I did, along with pop, like MOTU, Star Wars, GI JOE, Transformers, Captain Power, TMNT, etc.

Not a single fashion in any of those lines.

It's a good thing that, unlike the rest of the animal kingdom, and unlike during the Renaissance, males are the plainer of the sexes. I don't know that most people here who apparently STILL have a problem with pop figures from 30 years ago being too "girly" (our brand manager included) could deal with that reality. LoL!!

You're wrong.

Without the people buying for ALL the factions, you'd have NO figures.
    In other words, if it had been made clear from the get-go that no She-Ra characters would be included, hardly any of the pop fans would have bought ANY figures. Why? Because they'd have been angry.

And I'm sorry, but most of the pop fans but multiple subs. Many people who complain about pop (and NA) haven't even subscribed ONCE. yet they continue to complain, while the pop fans they disrespect subsidize the line.

Honestly, out of nearly five years worth of figures, there have been IN THE SUB:

Adora
    Bow
    She-Ra
    Catra
    The Star Sisters
    Frosta
    Netossa
    Castaspella

and

Flipshot
    Slush Head
    Optikk
    Karatti

the rest have not been in the sub...

You mean to tell me that the Brand's problems are due to THOSE figures??

That's balderdash.
    I have to agree with this. POP brought people in. I had collected the first 11 releases of the line, from the beginning, and they turned me off with characters like Goddess and Wun Dar and Marzo and Mo Larr. So I quit. I sold them. I was only brought back in when I saw Bow, Catra, the Giants, and resubbed when we got to Shadow Weaver. I could have stayed a cherry picker, and would have, if I didn't HAVE to have Shadow Weaver, I knew she'd be impossible to get. So I subbed. Never regretted it since. Only not happy that the POP has been a trickle. So to say that POP has been a hit against this line, my personal experience and what I hear from others, and what numeric data from polls show, it all says the opposite.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I'd also like to make this point:

For every post that says pop is bad, there are two or more to counter that position.

Also, the org main-page polls this past year provide evidence that pop and filmation are the main interests of the majority at this point in the line.

Those are FACTS, not my opinion.

I would argue that many people who love ALL things motu (vintage motu, pop, NA, 200X, Filmation, etc.) are just tired of explaining their perspective to those here who must, repeatedly, declare their disdain for anything but the original 12 back lol.

Those people may have a point in not replying.

I will always reply, because the Org is a hobby home for me, and no one is going to march in here and tell me that what I like isn't worth my time... Not without a counterpoint handed to him or her.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

For every post that says pop is bad, there are two or more to counter that position.

Also, the org main-page polls this past year provide evidence that pop and filmation are the main interests of the majority at this point in the line.

I would argue that many people who love ALL things motu (vintage motu, pop, NA, 200X, Filmation, etc.) are just tired of explaining their perspective to those here who must, repeatedly, declare their disdain for anything but the original 12 back lol.

I will always reply, because the Org is a hobby home for me, and no one is going to march in here and tell me that what I like isn't worth my time... Not without a counterpoint handed to him or her.
    Well said Brian
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    Well said Brian
    Thank you. It's always nice to feel supported when I enter the fray
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I didn't jump in as I knew where we'd end up, but I wanted to prove your point about not posting. It does become physically exhausting just reading it, being in the thick of it is worse. Recently I just avoided the entire topic, sent a PM to state my thoughts and didn't have to hear it(I fully understand not liking something, I don't understand not letting others enjoy it in peace). Made my opinion known, the member replyed & both our days were easier as he appreciated it & I didn't have to defend my stance. I rarely post opinions about POP, just mostly wish lists & little stuff. I mean Glimmer is my number 1 most wanted from POP, I love her. SHE made SDCC for me. I NEEDED her. I bet I have 4-6 posts in her thread. So to my fellow She-Ravers your numbers are larger than they appear, some of us are just tired of sounding off. NA too.

For the record I'm a straight, die hard She-Ra fan, who is totally cool with girls being girly, or guys liking girly girls& I love 95% of the MOTUverse, She-Ra ranks pretty damn high in my book, but I hardly ever say it... and that is a shame that the people who like something are silent because its just simpler to be that way. I don't expect fair treatment in a toyline, but in life, as a human, it sure as **** would be nice. She-Ra FTW.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I'm just curious how the line would have done up to this point if most of the POP universe was completed.