Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Grayskull Progress report video! - test shot in plastic

Looks really cool I gotta say.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I don't think it will retain its value honestly. I'm just not that impressed. For $300 It should have no stickers and be fully loaded. It should be more in scale and the trap door should lead to the dungeon. The Throne should be able to be utilized without having to jack up the sorceress' feathers, ect. I'm just very glad I didn't preorder it. As far as another Grayskull in the future....there will be one as soon as the new movie comes out.....and it won't be $300 bucks. And in a few years I'll buy a classics Grayskull at Big Lots for $20....lol.
    Well good luck with that, prices of toys from every company continue to rise and to me $250 ($300) seems pretty reasonable. For a Sideshow Darth Vader or Grievous they are the same intial price of $250 as the castle. I'll probably end up getting all 3 but those seem to have gone up crazy fast over just a few short years.

Meh. Cancelled my order so there will be one more up for grabs on sale day.
    END OF LINE

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

Seriously?! When Scott picks up the Castle, it makes him look like a 5 year old lugging around a playset! It's the size of his entire torso! I'm not sure how much bigger people were expecting/wanting. I mean, we're not going to be able to walk inside one. As is, it's pretty darn big. I just hope this will fit on my dresser, like I planned! Seeing how darn big it is...not too sure, but I sure as heck am keeping my pre-order. I love it a lot. Could there be some better interior accessories? Yes. Could some things have been done better (like lining the trap door/dungeon up). You betcha. This, still, is probably the best Castle Grayskull playset* that's ever been made...or ever WILL be made.

I think it looks gorgeous, I'm happy with the size and I LOVE the Mattel/the 4H listened to all/most of the concerns people had about Castle Grayskull and fixed nearly all of them. Grade A, in my book.

*The polystone environment Castle Grayskull is amazing and I love it, BUT it's not a playset.

I had the luck to own the Eternia playset as a child. So "big" is something else for me... Now as an adult I have no space issues, I expected the castle to be around 35-40 inches. I understand
    , that not everyone has a lot of space, but I still can`t get over the size and the lacking Filmation influences...

I really like the sculpt and I hope someone can make a bigger custom version of the front piece with that sculpt.
    Last edited by Berserker79; August 11, 2013 at 11:15pm.

I am honestly surprised anyone thinks this won't retain it's value. I think it will not only do that, but go up in price. This will be the least-produced Grayskull ever, and both the original Grayskull and the 200X Grayskull have gone up in price or at least retained their value.

I don't see any other Grayskull ever matching the scope of this one, and unless the movie does something VERY surprising from a design direction, this will probably be your last chance ever to own a Grayskull that looks like the one we all know and love from our childhoods.

If they do make a new Grayskull, the design will most likely be completely different.

Also, everyone is assuming that all the Grayskull's cancelled are going to be available Day-of. Consider this, though. There was a minimum they had to reach to make the order go through, right?

Well, we surpassed that. Then there was X number of Grayskulls that were planned to be created beyond that to satisfy perceived Day-of demand. Since the Grayskulls haven't been produced yet, it's possible they could just reduce the order for each cancelled, leaving only the Grayskulls still assigned for pre-order plus that original planned overrun. Which means that, possibly, with each new cancellation the Grayskull just gets rarer and rare. I have no idea if that's true, mind you, and I'm sure they have to lock down that number soon. But that might be what that August 30 date is all about.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I am honestly surprised anyone thinks this won't retain it's value. I think it will not only do that, but go up in price. This will be the least-produced Grayskull ever, and both the original Grayskull and the 200X Grayskull have gone up in price or at least retained their value.

I don't see any other Grayskull ever matching the scope of this one, and unless the movie does something VERY surprising from a design direction, this will probably be your last chance ever to own a Grayskull that looks like the one we all know and love from our childhoods.

If they do make a new Grayskull, the design will most likely be completely different.

Also, everyone is assuming that all the Grayskull's cancelled are going to be available Day-of. Consider this, though. There was a minimum they had to reach to make the order go through, right?

Well, we surpassed that. Then there was X number of Grayskulls that were planned to be created beyond that to satisfy perceived Day-of demand. Since the Grayskulls haven't been produced yet, it's possible they could just reduce the order for each cancelled, leaving only the Grayskulls still assigned for pre-order plus that original planned overrun. Which means that, possibly, with each new cancellation the Grayskull just gets rarer and rare. I have no idea if that's true, mind you, and I'm sure they have to lock down that number soon. But that might be what that August 30 date is all about.
    Valid points, but not everyone needs a playset, with action features. There are many collectors, who just need something to display and don't wanna play with it. I wonder, how many collectors still use the grappling hook feature if the Wind Raider...

And please keep in mind, that collectors will get rid of their stuff, when they turn 40 in a few years... Most of us are in their mid-30's and toy collecting can be something you don't want anymore in a few years.

Can't wait for it! The price will only rise on this one because, like Eternia, there will only be so many made and new fans are being born every day.

I imagine it will be a simple mod to the chair to allow the Sorceresses' wings to sit properly.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Valid points, but not everyone needs a playset, with action features. There are many collectors, who just need something to display and don't wanna play with it. I wonder, how many collectors still use the grappling hook feature if the Wind Raider...

And please keep in mind, that collectors will get rid of their stuff, when they turn 40 in a few years... Most of us are in their mid-30's and toy collecting can be something you don't want anymore in a few years.
    lol, no offense, but this is just too much. Where did you get this magical number of collection-ending activities?
    I just turned 40 and cannot wait to get this thing.

I wish it had all the Filmation and mini comic influences that were promised... I mean spoken about on RGD. I have no doubts that the 4H would have added them, but Mattel was tight with the profit margin on this thing. It had the chance to be MORE than an upscale of the original, and that is all it really is. Sure, some parts are made better, but why not add a Filmation portal gate or anything new that wasn't in the original toy or prototype. Just very meh and not anything to get excited about to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Can't wait for it! The price will only rise on this one because, like Eternia, there will only be so many made and new fans are being born every day.

I imagine it will be a simple mod to the chair to allow the Sorceresses' wings to sit properly.
    Actually, there are less MOTU fans than there were in the 80s or we would have already sold the sub for 2015, much less 2014. You are wrong on this one.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Interesting... I hadn't heard that most folks give up collecting when they hit 40. Where did you get that information?
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Well, you raise an interesting point... which I think is such a personal thing that it probably varies greatly from person to person (which I can already see with Whiplash7's reply.)

To be honest, I find the thought that someone is going to turn 40 and think about giving up toy collecting a bit strange. I think the number is a tad arbitrary? I imagine, for a lot of people, big life changes like getting married, having kids, making a big move, etc, are the things that really make them question their current collecting habits. And I don't think those are predictably tied to an age. I actually don't see the accumulation of age in and of itself any factor at all. But maybe it is?

I've thought about it before. My friend's dads collected things like guns, diecast cars, books, stamps, comics, etc. And I some of them were already in their 50s and didn't seem to be letting up. I'm sure some cut back because of other financial responsibilities. And I'm sure there are some friend's dads who collected stuff but gave it up long before that.

I guess my thinking is that a lot of people who grew up in the generations where collecting toys has become so prevalent (70s and 80s, mostly, it seems) will keep on collecting. I was talking to an antique dealer who has started to move over to "retro" stuff and he was talking about how hot 70s ad 80s stuff was, and how the prices of things like cowboy toys (and other toys hot in the 20s, 30s and 40s) had started to fall because so many collectors were dying and their stuff was flooding the market, whereas 70s and 80s stuff was getting harder to come by. It seems to go in cycles. And those cycles rely on collectors remaining collectors until their death, usually.

Sort of morbid, but kind of fascinating! I think if you did a poll, I doubt you'd find too many collector's thinking of giving up their MOTUC collections any time soon. I sold all my 200X a few years after it ended, but that's because I was frustrated the line felt so incomplete, and I was a college kid who was moving around all the time.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that there are definitely toys I am already planning on giving up collecting. But some of them I wouldn't dream of parting with like MOTUC, my Doctor Who collection, and my Hot Toys.

With MOTUC, it's all about looking at the health of the action figure market now (not great) and rising costs. I truly think this is the last line of this kind we'll see. I hope MOTU has a long future - with movie designs, future cartoon designs, maybe a Sklyanders-type game, etc. But... this is the perfect line for me. Even better than 200X, and I loved those at the time. And that's because it was the best of everything I loved about 200X, the vintage line—and some of what I always wished those two lines could be. So I'm getting all I can and I'm going to hold on tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Actually, there are less MOTU fans than there were in the 80s or we would have already sold the sub for 2015, much less 2014. You are wrong on this one.
    But the MOTU collectors that exist NOW are the ones who are making Eternia so expensive. I wouldn't think this Grayskull would get to Eternia numbers, though, as part of Eternia's rarity has to do with the fragility of some of its parts and the fact a lot of them went to kids. This Castle will be going mostly to adult collectors. The point is, this run of Grayskull is being done in proportion to the amount of collectors there are now. A lot of people can't or won't get Grayskull now. I honestly think there will be a surge of people wanting it once people start getting the final product in hand. And I really doubt there will be plenty to go around because Mattel could not afford to overrun such an expensive, large item.

I could be wrong, but I think the Castle will end up being more like a Hot Toys figure than your typical MOTU figure, or even past Castles. It could go up in price pretty quickly upon selling out. It's just a matter of how much supply they have for the end demand. And that's really hard to even guess at right now.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    What...I....how....

MADNESS!!!!

Seriously though, I am happy with what I am seeing here. Scott and the design team did a good job of addressing concerns that I had and restoring faith in this project.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I really wish I wasn't unemployed last year when pre-orders for this and 2013 subs were up or I'd have gotten them. $300 seems a bit much. You can get 3 Sewer Lairs for that price, or a Lair and a Millennium Falcon, PS4 for $100 more, or whatever. It's expensive. I think Mattel is crazy with these prices, but obviously there's a lot of people willing to pay. That said, it's cool as hell and I may get it if I can snag one when they go on sale.

Heroic Warrior

I am hitting 40 in October, and all I can think of is "I can't wait for this thing, I'm happy I preordered 2 and I really hope the 2014 and 2015 subs go through..." Oh, and I'm actually getting back into collecting Star Wars figures thanks to the Black series... Oh, and my Thundercats Minimates collection will be complete just in time for my birthday...

So, yeah, no... This soon-to-be 40 year old is NOT getting rid of his stuff, thank you very much.

Looks great. I actually want a disco colored day glo castle now as well lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jestermon View Post
    Can see it now, these will be the final colors, then there will be another video after people recieve there castles in these colors.

Then there will be a video about how he said these were the final colors.

Wasn't He-Man on battle cat supposed to be able to pass through the door?
    Nope. People just wished it could happen.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

My Wind Raider never made it out of the box, and likely never will. And as far as my toys go, I won't be 40 for another 3 years, but my stuff is staying with me until I'm too old to see it or get out of bed to mess with it, then it goes to my son. The value I place on my collection is the value I get out of enjoying it all with my son, and sharing the love I have for toys, and the years we hopefully will spend enjoying it together. That is my value of my collection, other than selling an occasional piece if the need for immediate money comes up, like sadly, I sold my Shadow Weaver.

I collect the bare minimum now, meaning what I want only, no fillers, nothing more. MOTUC being a sub, is alright, seeing as I like almost every figure so far since February 2012....NA being the must sell stuff mainly, and Geldor coming up as well.... But for Transformers and all, it's bare minimum, what I want and no more. Space and financial wise, but I try to accumulate the more expensive pieces in case a need arises to sell for no reason other than a big need for money, but otherwise, no, not buying for future value.

I would like to acquire a Grayskull, if for nothing else than to just have it, but at $250 to now $300....not going to happen.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

After seeing it in person at SDCC, I'm impressed. It's huge.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

It was $250 for the first round of pre-orders to make it happen, $275 for the second, and then $300 for day of sale.

I'm SO crazy excited about this. It does look huge. It's great seeing it all in plastic. I feel sad for all the collectors who had to cancel this or just decided to. I think this thing is going to be the crown jewel of the MOTUC collection.
    Does anyone know around when the 1st preorder went up? I'm looking in my order history and can't find anything for CG. What would the amount be, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Toys View Post
    Does anyone know around when the 1st preorder went up? I'm looking in my order history and can't find anything for CG. What would the amount be, if any?
    I can tell you exactly through the power of my old Gmail e-maills. LOL. The pre-order went up on 10/16. Mine shows up in my order history, and the charge shown was a total of $304 or so (this was with the higher shipping before they fixed it) and taxes.

Court Magician
    In hand photos and creative displays will change some minds, always does.

I can tell you exactly through the power of my old Gmail e-maills. LOL. The pre-order went up on 10/16. Mine shows up in my order history, and the charge shown was a total of $304 or so (this was with the higher shipping before they fixed it) and taxes.
    Weird. It's not in my order history and there's no history of an order confirmation in my gmail. I do have the email for the box art voting code though. Now I'm worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Toys View Post
    Weird. It's not in my order history and there's no history of an order confirmation in my gmail. I do have the email for the box art voting code though. Now I'm worried.
    Hmmm... I would definitely call DR, just to make sure.

Hmmm... I would definitely call DR, just to make sure.
    I think I will. Thanks for the replies.

I had the luck to own the Eternia playset as a child. So "big" is something else for me... Now as an adult I have no space issues, I expected the castle to be around 35-40 inches. I understand
    , that not everyone has a lot of space, but I still can`t get over the size and the lacking Filmation influences...

I really like the sculpt and I hope someone can make a bigger custom version of the front piece with that sculpt.
    I had Eternia too. I still do.

This is comparable in size.

It doesn't look it in the video. It is really large in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79
    I'm going to tease you for a minute.

You don't subscribe. You don't like any of the females. You aren't buying Grayskull. And you're giving up your toys at 40.

Ok. I don't get it. Don't you want to have fun?

I'm just glad that fun is possible. That we, like many adults who grew up in 80s and 90s, have bucked the system and kept their toys.

I just think, if you don't want that castle, or the females, etc., that's cool - for you.

But it's not a good idea to state, as fact, that your version of collecting this line is everyone else's.

And again, I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just needling you. There's plenty we DO agree on. This time? Not really
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 12, 2013 at 02:45am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    People.

It's HUGE.

It's GIGANTIC.
    I have a 35 inch tall CG custom and dont think it is huge or gigantic.
    I just think it is in scale with the classics figs.