Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Filmation Sword is Coming! - More Accessories in MOTU figures in 2014.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I wish everyone would stop talking about this non-existing machine that was imagined to explain Mattel being cheap (as few new parts as possible).
    Yeah........... Oh Hell Yeah !!!!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    If that's what you want to believe, fine by me, my opinion greatly differs. But I beg to differ with your logic.
    It's not my logic, it's the rules laid out by Matty since the early days of the line. "Classics" line, in the 'classic' style, which means vintage stylings, or what a figure may have looked like if it had been made in the vintage line. This applies to weapons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    It's not my logic, it's the rules laid out by Matty since the early days of the line. "Classics" line, in the 'classic' style, which means vintage stylings, or what a figure may have looked like if it had been made in the vintage line. This applies to weapons as well.
    With all the Filmation characters and items we have that are dead ringers for their cartoon counterparts only more detailed, Filmation fits the Vintage look of MOTUC already, so no trips through the Classics machine except adding detail for them. So like I said, the logic is flawed as to why the Filmation power sword will not look closer to the actual cartoon sword in the end.

And besides more flaws to the logic are Carnivus and Marzo, and now Dactys, Mattel changes the rules as they see fit. And like I said, Filmation characters are already Vintage looking enough to be directly translated to Classics, then detail added.... And a further problem is, all other Filmation accessories have an identical look to their toon counterparts, so again, the logic has flaws. And that Power Sword is most likely just a slapped together prototype made from an original Classics sword and a custom touch....it has months to be resculpted.

And by saying your logic, I meant the logic you were using at the time, no matter where it originated. And using Mattel logic doesn't make for a good argument.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    The Filmation Power Sword looks odd... The dark gray and the proportions seems to be not really Filmation-like...

It doesn`t even look right upside down.

Attachment 87106

I prefer this version

Attachment 87107
    That definitely looks better. I agree that doing a "classtisized" version here looks awkward. The filmation sword is cool because of its sleeker, slender design. Its a cool idea afterall, but not great execution. A sheath for He-man's back though would up the ante

With all the Filmation characters and items we have that are dead ringers for their cartoon counterparts only more detailed, Filmation fits the Vintage look of MOTUC already, so no trips through the Classics machine except adding detail for them. So like I said, the logic is flawed as to why the Filmation power sword will not look closer to the actual cartoon sword in the end.

And besides more flaws to the logic are Carnivus and Marzo, and now Dactys, Mattel changes the rules as they see fit. And like I said, Filmation characters are already Vintage looking enough to be directly translated to Classics, then detail added.... And a further problem is, all other Filmation accessories have an identical look to their toon counterparts, so again, the logic has flaws. And that Power Sword is most likely just a slapped together prototype made from an original Classics sword and a custom touch....it has months to be resculpted.

And by saying your logic, I meant the logic you were using at the time, no matter where it originated. And using Mattel logic doesn't make for a good argument.
    Filmation figures are fine. Filmation renditions of pre-existing toy characters are not. MYP characters are fine. Hyper-anime-detail of classic toy characters is not. The filmation accessories you're talking about are never-before-made, so the rules don't apply to them. Just like Carnivus and Plundor.
    The rules have been bent from time to time, but the 'classic style' is far more consistent and logical then people give it credit for. And it's gotten us this far.

It's always humorous to see weapons like a mace and a sword referred to as "accessories."

What are they?

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    What are they?
    A mace is a weapon. A sword is a weapon.

Calling them accessories makes about as much sense as referring to a person hit by rifle fire as "injured."

One is not "injured" by rifle fire. He is wounded by it.

I just wish people would learn the difference, distinguished characteristics and appropriate use of words in the English language, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaw Bridge View Post

Calling them accessories makes about as much sense as referring to a person hit by rifle fire as "injured."

I just wish people would learn the difference, distinguished characteristics and appropriate use of words in the English language, that's all.
    What if you slip and fall onto some rifle fire? Or if you use your mace as a handbag?
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Hahaha. You call Unicron with your ET "satellite phone" for support, of course.

It's always humorous to see weapons like a mace and a sword referred to as "accessories."
    Are we still talking about toys here?

- - - Updated - - -

Filmation renditions of pre-existing toy characters are not.

Hyper-anime-detail of classic toy characters is not.
    These things are not the same, one is a completely different style, they other is just adding or changing things on a figure....and yes, Filmation variants are acceptable, don't know where you get that.

Filmation Hordak is a highly desired variant, even more so as it was ranked #1 on this sites very poll about variants. A Clawful variant also is wanted. Filmation is not really a change in style from Classics, just a change in appearance. 200X is a complete change of style from Classics, and it loses stuff in the translation, Filmation gains detail, if nothing else Filmation is stepped up in Classics, while 200X is stepped down, 2 completely different things.

And again, not sure where you get Filmation versions of existing characters are not OK for Classics, but since you didn't say the same thing for 200X, I assume you think 200X variants are.

The filmation accessories you're talking about are never-before-made, so the rules don't apply to them. Just like Carnivus and Plundor.
    And if everything has to be Classisized, why wouldn't new accessories or figures no matter where they come from have to go through this machine too, even if they are new versions of existing items? That just makes no sense.

So by your words, it's OK for a new 200X character to be 200X styled because he never had a figure, yet all other existing characters with previous figures or existing items have to follow the machine rules?

That completely contradicts Scott's description of Classics, where he says if a character never had a figure before, it would be taken back to what it would have looked like in the Vintage line, then updated into Classics.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 16, 2013 at 06:32am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

They are accessories for the action figure, and the term "accessories" has been a catch-all for whatever comes with an action figure for decades. Unless your figures are coming with actual swords and maces.

I would think either word is more than acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    They are accessories for the action figure, and the term "accessories" has been a catch-all for whatever comes with an action figure for decades. Unless your figures are coming with actual swords and maces.

I would think either word is more than acceptable.
    It goes the same with Barbie and all, her comb is a comb, but it part of her accessories. In the real world, Women refer to Bracelets, rings, hats and purses as accessories....it is all proper terms and proper English. A Sword is a Sword, but when it's bundled with something it becomes that something accessory. It is being used properly.

In that case the term "Action Figure" would refer to a figure that performs action on it's own, not one you have to make do something. A Transformer is a misnomer, as the toy doesn't transform itself, you have to physically touch it to do it yourself, or push a button to initiate it, we should petition Hasbro to change the name of Transformers to Transform Byhandmers.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

This is my last post on the subject , all I did was make a remark about how they need to justify non-vintage looks for things things in the story for them to be sculpted (which is the rule they set out years ago).

These things are not the same
    Yes they are. A cartoon look is a cartoon look, if it differs from the vintage toy look then it's not in the classic style.

and yes, Filmation variants are acceptable, don't know where you get that.
    From the brand manager, who has stated it numerous times. What is possible for vintage toys are filmation repaints, not filmation sculpts. You can get a filmation Hordak, but it would be the one we have painted blue. A repaint, same head. Same category as 200x heads. Confirmed by the brand manager ages ago.
    There can be things like Randor, who has a complete change of clothes unique to the cartoon. There won't be a Teela, who is a based on the proper, pre-existing Teela.

And again, not sure where you get Filmation versions of existing characters are not OK for Classics, but since you didn't say the same thing for 200X, I assume you think 200X variants are.
    It likely depends. We know there was a 200x Randor planned, and scrapped in favour of EP Randor. What you won't see is Someone biologically different from the vintage look.

And if everything has to be Classisized, why wouldn't new accessories or figures no matter where they come from have to go through this machine too, even if they are new versions of existing items? That just makes no sense.
    Why would something never-before-made (ie: Wheel of time) need to be changed? It has no point of reference beyond the source material. It could reasonably have looked just like that in the vintage line.

So by your words, it's OK for a new 200X character to be 200X styled because he never had a figure, yet all other existing characters with previous figures or existing items have to follow the machine rules?
    Correct. Except that the 200x figures aren't '200x styled'. While they have their unique looks, the MYP look is the only frame of reference, so they look like the characters but with a lot of parts sharing. They share a TON of parts with the rest of the line, Dactus included, and the horsemen do them justice within that framework.

This is my last post on the subject , all I did was make a remark about how they need to justify non-vintage looks for things things in the story for them to be sculpted (which is the rule they set out years ago).
    They don't need to justify Non Vintage anything before it's sculpted, other than to have a demand....or what Scott perceives as such, like his demand for Nepthu.

Yes they are. A cartoon look is a cartoon look, if it differs from the vintage toy look then it's not in the classic style.
    One is a totally different style. It is about making any new character...any, new Character into Classics, well thus far the Filmation figures have retained their Filmation style, 200X figures....not really, not without a lot of changes, scale down, or downgrading detail or parts. Marzo, was something that slipped through, and even Scott said, it wouldn't happen again.

From the brand manager, who has stated it numerous times. What is possible for vintage toys are filmation repaints, not filmation sculpts. You can get a filmation Hordak, but it would be the one we have painted blue. A repaint, same head. Same category as 200x heads. Confirmed by the brand manager ages ago.
    There can be things like Randor, who has a complete change of clothes unique to the cartoon. There won't be a Teela, who is a based on the proper, pre-existing Teela.
    We'll get a variant if there are enough differences....Filmation Skeletor, differences, but not enough, Filmation Hordak, more than enough differences, this was also said....many times, and Scott mentioned once, before we got heavy into the Filmation figures, all of which, are pretty much dead ringers for their cartoon counterpart. If we get a Filmation Hordak now, we'll see no less.

Also, Filmation Hordak is a much wanted figure, and also to note, a most Iconic look for all full Filmation MOTU and POP fans.

Why would something never-before-made (ie: Wheel of time) need to be changed? It has no point of reference beyond the source material. It could reasonably have looked just like that in the vintage line.
    Um, because by your very words everything has to put through the machine, if it doesn't fit Classics as is, it would have to be changed....

Filmation style could very well be Vintage style. Keldor's swords never existed in Classics, and look different detail wise, and down scaled looks from their 200X styled counterparts....Filmation accessories, so far, still look Filmation, like they jumped from the screen.

Correct. Except that the 200x figures aren't '200x styled'. While they have their unique looks, the MYP look is the only frame of reference, so they look like the characters but with a lot of parts sharing. They share a TON of parts with the rest of the line, Dactus included, and the horsemen do them justice within that framework.
    Neither are the Filmation figures "Filmation style" or items when made into Classics.. 200X characters are 200X styled, since no other reference exists for them, the 4H have to take the 200X style, then downgrade it to Vintage standards, then re-upgrade it to Classics standards. The MYP reference is the only reference that exists for 200X only characters, and it differs greatly from Filmation or Vintage standards.

And also this still makes no sense, you are taking existing characters with figures, making them have to fit Classics, but new characters with no existing figures with their original frames of reference only, are exempt because they are being made first time in Classics as Classics figures and not 200X???

But they are 200X styled originally and have to be changed from 200X style animation (and it is a totally different style from Vintage & Filmation) to fit the Classics style regardless before being made as Classics figures in the first place....thus by the very definition of being crammed through the Classics machine....meaning all characters new or old, existing figures or not, get pushed through the machine regardless.... to remove any other style, then get made....

So you're taking Dactys, de-200x-ing him, adding parts reuse, then making the final figure? Isn't that the definition of the Classics machine as handed down by Scott?
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 16, 2013 at 03:32pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Man, do you ever like to argue. I'm not even touching any of that, I might as well have written nothing to begin with!
    I'll leave you with this.
    Toyguru
    Collector Supreme
    Picture of Toyguru

posted Jun 07, 2012 2:45 PM Hide Post
    When we translate a character into "Classics" from other lines such as Filmation or 200X we will be using Classics parts as part of the current style. So likley if we did a "blue skinned Filmation Hordak" he would use the exisiting head. (for Classics). This doesn't mean we couldn't one day do a full on animated line with a Filmation sculpted head, but this would not work for the style of the current Classics line.
    The end.

Heroic Warrior
    I do think it's odd that he said no new weapons pak for 2014 or vehicles, because they were focusing on the figures then they are out to make more new tooled accessories, that's kind of the opposite of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestermon View Post
    I do think it's odd that he said no new weapons pak for 2014 or vehicles, because they were focusing on the figures then they are out to make more new tooled accessories, that's kind of the opposite of each other.
    Not really. The other accessories will likely share tools with new figure parts.

Man, do you ever like to argue. I'm not even touching any of that, I might as well have written nothing to begin with!
    I'll leave you with this.

The end.
    Jun 7th 2012....before all of the sub crisis for 2013, and the road map change happened, and we got any Filmation figures besides Shadow Weaver....How much stuff has Scott recanted and changed about Classics since then?

And Scott gave us Nepthu and Plundor, so, I give no credence to this post of his. All of the Filmation characters we've seen thus far have not been changed from their Animation model....I doubt very much they'll not make a new head for Hordak, if he actually gets made, Scott can say all he wants, but he knows the fans of F. Hordak, won't settle for a simple repaint.

And explain NA He-Man, King He-Man, PD He-Man....all of which have new heads to go with the particular character, NAHM got two new heads. So, that further invalidates any of that....Also, Scott issued that long before we got Fang Man's head and Plundor's head....both of which are toonish, and to many don't fit Classics, but we have them.

Scott can say stuff all day long, in the end, most of it changes daily, and when the line calls for the rules to change, they do.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 16, 2013 at 05:26pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

I prefer this version

Attachment 87107
    Ok, please tell me where I can buy that sword. It looks perfect!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru:Collector Supreme

posted Jun 07, 2012 2:45 PM
    When we translate a character into "Classics" from other lines such as Filmation or 200X we will be using Classics parts as part of the current style. So likley if we did a "blue skinned Filmation Hordak" he would use the exisiting head. (for Classics). This doesn't mean we couldn't one day do a full on animated line with a Filmation sculpted head, but this would not work for the style of the current Classics line.
    This was back when they WERE thinking about just repaints like the Toys R Us 2 packs. If that would have happened, it would have made sense that a "Filmation Deco" Hordak repaint would still have had his original head repainted more white. But now, after the filmation subscription and all of the almost exact sculpts of figures and accessories, they would be crazy to release a filmation Hordak as just a repaint without at LEAST another head. This will be an easy release after 2015 or maybe for She-Ra's 30th anniversary.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    EDIT:

This has now been officially confirmed. First up is the Filmation Power Sword:
    http://news.mattycollector.com/blog/...word-revealed/

http://news.mattycollector.com/wp-co...d_newsPage.jpg

Listening to the podcast at: http://afbpodcast.com/audio/AFB-Podcast-Episode-77.m4a

One of the things Scott let slip towards the end, which is supposed to be officially announced soon, that they are pushing more accessories into the 2014 figures. It sounds like it'll be similar to some of the stuff they did with the FILMation sub figures, where if a figure has one or two accessories, it could have a second or third accessory that is a cool bonus that might not necessarily go exactly with that figure!

So, we could see more cool one-off accessories like the Diamond Ray of Disappearance, or something that might contemplate a past figure!
    Love the sword! Hope to get this next year!
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

heres a thought how about the flimation sword come with a flimation he-man
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Mitchyba...ow=grid&view=0 my youtube chanel with my he-man collection please take a look and subscribe always updating my motu

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

As someone who hates to see the English language mangled, I see where you are coming from, but you are removing the word from the context, which is, in its own way, just as big a mistake.

Within the context of the action figure market, the word "accessories" means any item that accompanies the figure that is not a part of the figure itself (as has been pointed out). THey aren't really "weapons," they are small pieces of plastic that look like weapons. And if we start differentiating them, where do we stop? What do you call a little plastic laptop? A tricorder? A tool?

Within the vernacular of this hobby, the term "accessory" is acceptable here, as its use has been pretty well established and is understood by the people engaged in the conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

As someone who hates to see the English language mangled, I see where you are coming from, but you are removing the word from the context, which is, in its own way, just as big a mistake.

Within the context of the action figure market, the word "accessories" means any item that accompanies the figure that is not a part of the figure itself (as has been pointed out). THey aren't really "weapons," they are small pieces of plastic that look like weapons. And if we start differentiating them, where do we stop? What do you call a little plastic laptop? A tricorder? A tool?

Within the vernacular of this hobby, the term "accessory" is acceptable here, as its use has been pretty well established and is understood by the people engaged in the conversation.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

Everything Scott said here is true. We're talking about the context of items that come with an action figure. But further, just because something is a subset of a larger thing, it does not cease to be the larger thing.

Definition: ac·ces·so·ry /akˈses(ə)rē/ (n) a thing that can be added to something else in order to make it more useful, versatile, or attractive.

Are you saying a weapon does not make a warrior more useful and versatile? It is a specific form of accessory.

in·jure /ˈinjər/ (v) do physical harm or damage to (someone).
    example: "the explosion injured several people"
    synonyms: hurt, wound, damage, harm;

your example of something that is a wound rather than an injury is given as an example in the definition. A wound is a specific type of injury.

If someone were to say Cringer is an interesting animal. I wouldn't correct them to say Cringer is a cat, not an animal. Cat / weapon / wound may be more specific word choices, but it doesn't mean the larger words are wrong. A cat is an animal. A weapon is an accessory. A wound is an injury.