Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Facebook Depression...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Yeah, it should be called fakebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Everyone I know (well) who is on there is fake. One of my sisters is on there and uses it to pretend that she is everyone's friend -- without actually being their friend. I immediately lose a little respect for anyone upon hearing they are fakebook users (if I had any to lose, that is).
    Thank you guys and especially Phil.
    Made me laugh out loud.

(must be best to focus on what I can control, try to improve myself, and let the joneses compete among themselves)

I love Facebook.

I have a huge family that is scattered all across the states (and none that live near me). And while there are some that I talk to frequently, there are many that I just don't get the chance to other than reunions or events. Facebook let's me easily keep track of everyone. What their doing for work or fun, I can see their kids growing up, etc. And I can do it at my pace and when its convenient for me. Then when we do get together or talk, we can immediately start talking about those events without the need to be "filled in" first.

And its fun to stay in touch or at least keep track of old friends that otherwise might've completely slipped away. I've managed to reconnect with good friends that I haven't seen in 15 years and been able to rekindle those friendships that I was afraid were lost forever.

Its all about how you use it and what you want out of it.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I use FB daily and multiple times per day at that. I agree that many of the negatives cited here are absolutely accurate but if you take the posts with a grain of salt, it is pretty useful.

I use it to commutate with friends and family that I don't get to see regularly but more than that, I use the Groups and Events features. Groups in the same fashion a message board; like-minded people discussing a topic or topics. And events because it's a easy way to invite/manage the attendees.

To each their own though!

Heroic Warrior
    Facebook is like any other form of social media, and interpersonal online interaction. It is no different than the org. It can be taken to a positive or negative place. I've seen some orgers here who try so hard to hide their true nature, but their mask slips every time they try to argue someone to death over toys, or make cruel comments when someone expresses an opinion different from their own. They are truly miserable.

You should try to be happy for those friends and family you remain in touch with as they share their lives with you, and find good things to share with them. However, while sharing, don't spend too much time thinking about 'what should I post on my facebook today', and miss moments.

For many people, Facebook is just one endless chain e-mail they choose to ignore. Find things to be happy about, and dont worry about what you see, or don't see on Facebook. These happy couples with their picture perfect posts and exciting vacations have troubles too.
    Last edited by BC Cherry; August 15, 2013 at 02:41am.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Cherry View Post
    Facebook is like any other form of social media, and interpersonal online interaction. It is no different than the org. It can be taken to a positive or negative place. I've seen some orgers here who try so hard to hide their true nature, but their mask slips every time they try to argue someone to death over toys, or make cruel comments when someone expresses an opinion different from their own. They are truly miserable.

You should try to be happy for those friends and family you remain in touch with as they share their lives with you, and find good things to share with them. However, while sharing, don't spend too much time thinking about 'what should I post on my facebook today', and miss moments.

For many people, Facebook is just one endless chain e-mail they choose to ignore. Find things to be happy about, and dont worry about what you see, or don't see on Facebook. These happy couples with their picture perfect posts and exciting vacations have troubles too.
    VERY well said. Bravo!
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Im getting facebook depression. not much going on anymore & hardly anyone on there I could even hang out with if i wanted too. what the point?
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    just delete yer fb account..ya dont need one.but people FEEl they need one.... i have yet to sign up.. but gotta say prob never will.. i talk to those i can to keep in touch with..
    I tried that...life got even more boring just sitting in front of a computer. it's tough when all your friends are married or career minded.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I was once told some good advice. Life (happiness) is not going to come knock on your door. You have to go out and participate in it (or find it). You should try just doing things you like to do by yourself and eventually you will find like minded people to hang with.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Quote Originally Posted by Is-rael View Post
    I was once told some good advice. Life (happiness) is not going to come knock on your door. You have to go out and participate in it (or find it). You should try just doing things you like to do by yourself and eventually you will find like minded people to hang with.
    Can I just say that is very hard. I mean it sucks going to events by yourself. I however am a fan of meetup.com but some of those ppl are weird too.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Can I just say that is very hard. I mean it sucks going to events by yourself. I however am a fan of meetup.com but some of those ppl are weird too.
    Life's hard. You really just have to change your perspective and enjoy things in a positive way. It's always easier to be sad, depressed & angry for some reason as a human. I try to do the old saying put out what you want back and I really believe if you focus on that it starts working. I guess you really just have to like you and not worry about the rest because in the end does it matter? Remember the good forget the bad.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Exactly. I do EVERYTHING by myself. It gets even more depressing when you constantly ask people and no one has time to do anything. ;o). Spending ALOT of time in your head with OCD is not a good thing ;o). #HowardHughes
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Is-rael View Post
    Life's hard. You really just have to change your perspective and enjoy things in a positive way. It's always easier to be sad, depressed & angry for some reason as a human. I try to do the old saying put out what you want back and I really believe if you focus on that it starts working. I guess you really just have to like you and not worry about the rest because in the end does it matter? Remember the good forget the bad.
    Of course life is hard. I don't think anyone is disputing that fact. But as someone who has gone down that long trail I understand where Shredder is coming from. Do you know how many times I went out by myself, and frankly I love myself, but there comes a point when you're like, okay, really this is it?

And, if you aren't into drinking or bars or music then you are doubly screwed. These are the places that people hang. I can't stand live music because I have super sensitive hearing. I dont drink due to the long list of alcoholics in my family . So what does one do for fun. Go for walks? Okay, but I'm walking by myself. Go to a movie. No talking at the movies.

Its hard to change your perspective on life when you are sitting home with yourself for company once again. Frankly it sucks. And if you are prone to depression it makes things really bad. I dunno if Shredder is or not, but some people are and it just ain't that easy to shake it off. Try tellin someone to think positive thoughts who is legitimately depressed. Yeah, it don't work.

I know what Shredder is going through cause I went through it. Plus if you live in a small town or small city then that's another strike against ya. Syracuse NY ain't a hopin place. And during the winter, well, unless you ski what is there to do? And as I said before the one thing that did help me was going to the website Meetup.com. It's not a dating site, but where you find people with similar tastes. I joined a nondrinking group and quickly became the organizer because I kept on suggesting things for people to do. I also joined a writing group and a 20s and 30s group. Oddly enough on a chance encounter I did meet my fiancee. The group was going bowling, he was a friend of one of my new friends and he stopped by after drill. He caught my attention because he was in his fireman's uniform. I caught his attention cause I was wearing awesomely cool ugg books he wanted to stroke. Hey, whatever works Now, some of the people at meetup are freakin crazy. TOTALLY CRAZY. Like they really shouldn't be out in public crazy. And some are just normal people looking for a good time. Some are socially awkward. But, it got me out there. And I was able to find people who did want to do things. Its kinda scary trying to meet up with strangers though. But it forced me to take control and the teacher came out in me.

I know another person who meet their husband at meetup. It was a fluke and I do'nt think she was looking for him. I think it just happened.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Its hard to change your perspective on life when you are sitting home with yourself for company once again. Frankly it sucks. And if you are prone to depression it makes things really bad. I dunno if Shredder is or not, but some people are and it just ain't that easy to shake it off. Try tellin someone to think positive thoughts who is legitimately depressed. Yeah, it don't work.
    I totally understand as I have suffered from clinical Major Depression most of my life. It can be VERY difficult to handle at times and not something I can just shake off. I wish it was that easy. I am going through a really bad time right now and feel all alone with no one to listen or talk with. I feel very hopeless, but no one really cares to hear that.

Well, thanks for listening.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Several of us at work say something similar, a good day is what you make it. Now with that said I understand small town, no drinking, and ontop of that having more geeky style interests. People find out you like video games, but oh it's not Halo, Call of Duty they don't invite you to their little gaming parties (yes playing those games I do find more entertaining with other people but there can be other problems with competition etc). There is other flip sides, I work with the teens at my church, it got to the point I wasn't looking forward as much to going to places like Six Flags? Why it was as the responsible adult, but the last time I went me and two of the other adults ditched kids (responsibly of course) and went rode the rides ourselves and it was fun again. An amusement park is kind of the extreme example here, yes they can be fun by yourself but after awhile not so much you need to be with other people. It's amazing how just not drinking though seems to cut drastically into all that though.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Lots of people here if you ever need to reach out to someone, myself included

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I totally understand as I have suffered from clinical Major Depression most of my life. It can be VERY difficult to handle at times and not something I can just shake off. I wish it was that easy. I am going through a really bad time right now and feel all alone with no one to listen or talk with. I feel very hopeless, but no one really cares to hear that.

Well, thanks for listening.
    On Twitter @DualHares

Quote Originally Posted by Dual_Hares View Post
    Lots of people here if you ever need to reach out to someone, myself included
    Second. Pm me if ya need to
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Shredder, sounds like you're in a slump. I can relate. I lost everything that mattered to me a few years ago and it took me years to get back to a point where life is bascically bearable. It's not really good, but for the most part it's okay and there is decent potential for it to get better. I hope you get there too. For those of you who have clinical depressions, I can relate to that too as I'm in the same boat (although thankfully not going through a bad episoe lately).

I personally don't use facebook, but I must confess that when I was doing terribly, it made me feel even more sorry for myself when I saw others doing well. As a result, I got even more withdrawn and pretty much lost contact with most of my friends.

good luck

Shredder, I can relate to how you're feeling. I've often had to do things by myself, and as Divia states, it can feel very lonely. I recently had a conversation about this with a friend, and he deleted his facebook account because he said it made him feel depressed after using it. I've thought about doing the same thing because I can put something relatively important on my page like "Got a new Job" and I might get a few likes whereas someone else will put "had a burger with extra ketchup" and they get a lot more comments about how good ketchup tastes.

Unfortunately, most of my facebook friends are made of people who wouldn't join me for a happy hour if I begged them, but they're mostly former colleagues or people I've met through workshops or former jobs. One of my friends is mad because his mother keeps posting stuff on his page about how much she loves him, and it's embarrassing. At least I don't have THAT.

Over the years, I feel like I've come to expect a lot less from other people, and I feel happier for it. For example, it used to make me really angry if I called people to invite them to a concert or a movie and they didn't call back or acknowledged my invitation. Now I just expect it. I've also adopted a three-strikes-and-you're-out rule. If someone ignores three invitations, I just delete them from my phone.

What I've realized is that if people want to be your friend, it will happen. They'll actually make SOME effort. In the past, I've put FAR too much effort into people that refused to meet me in the middle. For example, I would drive an hour to meet someone who would never do the same for me or pay for drinks because someone else didn't have money. Yet, these same people had no problem standing me up. Now I just consider that if they actually reciprocate, it's proof that they value me and my time. If they don't, they can get lost.

Last month, I went on a whitewater rafting weekend with some guys I consider acquaintances more than anything. We had an awesome time, but I put absolutely no effort in befriending any of them. One of them approached me with the invite. It felt strange to go on a trip with people I felt like I barely knew, but they acted as if we had been best friends since first grade. Other people who I have actively tried to befriend have done far less than that for me.

Anyway, people are strange, and I'm sorry you're in a slump. I've been there, done that, but I feel that it sometimes comes from valuing other people too much. If people are meant to be our friends, it will happen because they will want it too. Now I just feel sorry for people who have spurned me because I'm a pretty awesome person. I'm incredibly loyal, an excellent listener, too generous for my own good and I give away drinks at happy hour. If people aren't interested in that, they must be losers, IMO.

My advice is to recognize that you're an important person and get off facebook if it's making you sad. If someone isn't willing to pick up the phone and call, they're not much of a friend anyway. A good friend will come to YOU;they won't just expect you to come to them all the time. And if they aren't a good friend. They're nothing but fools gold: worthless.
    Last edited by Blue; August 24, 2013 at 11:05am.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    Im getting facebook depression. not much going on anymore & hardly anyone on there I could even hang out with if i wanted too. what the point?
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't use Facebook and I don't see the need either because you can easily get sucked into spending hours on that crap. I'd rather waste hours doing other mindless crap.

Facebook is self advertising... The better the advertiser, the more likes, etc. I actually wrote a song not too long ago about this lonely feeling and competitive nature of Facebook posts. Shredder, where was you beach house? My mom has one in Seaside Hghts, and the downstairs apartment that my family would use got totally destroyed... the garage was ripped off and I lost all my surf boards... kinda sucks so I know how u feel. Personally I don't do FB too much anymore. I used it when I was advertising CD's I was releasing or shows I was playing... but I don't need to share my every moment with the world!
    Kain,
    When I applied for teaching jobs it was the same exact way. 500 applicants per position in NJ. I didn't have a masters either, just my good looks. Well I couldn't get a job at all so I actually went to a job placement agency and they helped set up the interviews. Starting my 18th year in a week. My wife took 11 years off and she is trying to get back into it, it's hard to get any response and when she did teach she won a NJ Governor's Teacher of the Year award.
    Keep looking and living, things will get better!
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.