Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Bad will have no day of sale!

Yeah I was going to sub, but now that I know subbing will benefit me, I won't.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Very heavy handed; at this point, there is NO other reason to limit the availability than to pressure folks into the sub (the whole reason for ending the subs when they do is to start production based on the number of subs). That approach has tended to turn off fence sitters as much, if not more, than it has attracted subbers. Their focus had been a positive one thus far, but I see this ticking off some folks who might have subbed.
    I'm not sure I follow that logic. "I was gonna sub, but then they made it so that only subs get this, so I'll go without."???
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Very heavy handed; at this point, there is NO other reason to limit the availability than to pressure folks into the sub (the whole reason for ending the subs when they do is to start production based on the number of subs). That approach has tended to turn off fence sitters as much, if not more, than it has attracted subbers. Their focus had been a positive one thus far, but I see this ticking off some folks who might have subbed.
    This move was probably meant to spur more reseller support then anything else, and Mattel will gladly take resellers who will buy 10-20 subs over a few people who get upset and have not subbed anyway
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I plain ol', regular CANNOT afford to subscribe, so this just means I plain ol', ordinary won't have a TwoBad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    CONFIRMED: Since they have already made the figures there will actually only be enough Two-Bads for the people that have already ordered a sub. If you order now it is too late.
    What are you talking about?
    The sub guarantee's you ALL 2014 figures, including Two Bad... Just no day of sale extras for anyone.

I see this ticking off some folks who might have subbed.
    Really? So the subscription has just been made more valuable and those people are now going to drop the sub in protest? I don't see that happening to many people. It doesn't make any sense.

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    And for those people, they will convince as many or more to add more subs and resellers like BBTS to add even more subs to sell the figures for even more.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    Desperation move, low blow, or both?

Really really really not enjoying this news.
    My guess is that someone who does NOT collect toys made this decision.
    I pity Scott for having to deliver this info.

Fang Man was understandable somewhat because he had no vintage toy.
    Clamp Champ was at least a SCARCE vintage toy that not as many of us had, but I still think it was a racist move.
    TWO BAD feels like cut and dried subscription extortion.

Bad bad bad greedy Mattel...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    The sub guarantee's you ALL 2014 figures, including Two Bad... Just no extras for anyone.
    Right. They only put in a manufacturing order for the 58% or whatever it is that already subbed? Not even close to likely.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Very heavy handed; at this point, there is NO other reason to limit the availability than to pressure folks into the sub. That approach has tended to turn off fence sitters as much, if not more, than it has attracted subbers. Their focus had been a positive one thus far, but I see this ticking off some folks who might have subbed.
    Why would it tick off people who might have subbed? It just made the sub more valuable. And there shouldn't be a backlash cause they let us know 5 months in advance with plenty of time to sub still. I think it was a great move personally. And later they can sell off the CS stock to subbers via early access. Hopefully they save guys like Clamp Champ and Fang Man for next years early access to give people that didn't sub this year and missed out a chance or so MOC and loose collectors can get a second if they haven't already. That should entice even more people. And resellers are probably over the moon as they just got a golden ticket so to speak. They should make Modulok a subscriber only figure too.....we'll be at 100% in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Really? So the subscription has just been made more valuable and those people are now going to drop the sub in protest? I don't see that happening to many people. It doesn't make any sense.
    Yeah making one of the key vintage figures less available and guaranteeing its value is going to make people not sub? Out of what some moral compass that says Mattel should not have done it?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

The sub guarantee's you ALL 2014 figures, including Two Bad... Just no extras for anyone.
    I think they were kidding.

Heroic Warrior
    Did Scott ever mention they don't use scare tactics? Then what is this?

Quote Originally Posted by bigassbuzz View Post

Clamp Champ was at least a SCARCE vintage toy that not as many of us had, but I still think it was a racist move.

Isn't this great news for you though? I mean why should you or I care Mattel just made our resale stock even more valuable?

Whatever it was, the move seems to have a lot of support among subscribers. Without parlor tricks like this (and it is undeniably a parlor trick), the sub might not get made. Plain and simple.

The sub guarantee's you ALL 2014 figures, including Two Bad... Just no day of sale extras for anyone.
    I think his comment was a clever parody of the recent shenanigans with DC's 3D villain covers.

Scott said the thermometer isn't a scare tactic. Everything else is fair game.

I would have thought the Hyve would be happy about Two-Bad now being able to fetch Shadow Weaver prices

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Well played Scott. Now he's playing the game of thrones.
    He's BEEN playing the Game of Thrones...and losing.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

This is brilliant. It's good business.

Two Bad is only "important" now because he's the last of Skeletor's minions to be made (from the vintage line, not including Twistoid and the movie figures; I consider Blast Attack a weapon of the Snake Men).

So in the grand scheme of things, it's not exactly a lame move. It's a smart one.

He's a draw. Heck, they should make Glimmer and Hydron sub-only too, if you ask me.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I would have thought the Hyve would be happy about Two-Bad now being able to fetch Shadow Weaver prices
    Exactly, I know I am overjoyed at this news

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Without parlor tricks like this (and it is undeniably a parlor trick), the sub might not get made. Plain and simple.
    Exactly! Each year from here on out is going to be desperation mode to push the subscription through. Day of sales are the cherry on top but there's no place to put the cherry if the sundae doesn't get made. Subscriptions are the priority right now; Mattel has made that very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Seriously. Let's enjoy the irony of the guy selling 6 Adoras and 10 Icaruses in the BL BST thread wagging his finger at Mattel for making stock scarce.

Heroic Warrior
    I'll use my limited ESP skills to deduce that we can almost be sure that 2015 will be ALL no-DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    He's BEEN playing the Game of Thrones...and losing.
    Losing what? When he loses we all lose. This move might make him a king maker.