Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Bad will have no day of sale!

It would seem like simple common sense to sub now. Total sub = $501 if you buy just Two-Bad, Modulok and Unnamed One on secondary market you are looking at around $300+. If you buy the sub you can get lots more figures that you may have to pay more for too. Even if you can't sell the figures you don't want you are going to be saving money. Throw in Scorpia (first ever in action figure form) as no day of and you already made your money back selling her on the secondary market.

And I haven't posted about Castle Grayskull since seeing it in plastic, and I must say it is super awesome! Can't believe the door opens with the sword. Glad I got 2
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by bigassbuzz View Post
    I'd prefer to sell Two-Bads to LOTS of Hyve customers rather than to just one or two that are willing to overpay.
    It's always great when a toy appreciates in value, but it's a bit of a 2 sided coin.

Subs are a GREAT investment for a store like mine, but I'm only one Foe-Men / Karatti type of month away from bankruptcy at any given time.
    The risk is HIGH now that the Hyve is my only source of income. This year had BUMPS in the road. We all know this.

"All A-List for 2014 and 2015" sells me on the sub WAY more than this cheap sucker punch of false scarcity on Two Bad.
    Up until this news, I wasn't feeling the panic and fear about "Will the lien die?" though I had yet to sub in.

I probably WILL still buy my usual 4 subs, but more hesitantly than before.
    The folks selling us the subs have shown us some quite unsavory tactics.
    Yeah but in toy retail you have that chance on anything you buy, its all about product selection and the "hope" that it goes over well with your customer base.

In the end doesn't the selling Two-Bad to loads pretty much even out with a handful that will overpay? You are not reaching as many customers but your profit/loss is still the same and its actually better for you since you only have to pull it off once.

I don't see it as unsavory as much as standard business, its a hot figure that was just made that much hotter. Its win-win for retailers

I mean lets call a spade a spade, people like us who mark up product to earn a profit are not exactly sitting on the best ground to be arguing "ethics and morals", if we were we would be offering things at cost or close and making no money.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    They should definitely consider making Hydron no DOS as well
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

I think it's a good decision and I hope it will help well more subs.
    Awesome sticker included!

CONFIRMED: Modulok will only be available DOS to people who preorder Ecto-1.

Mattel is really upping the ante here!
    Preternia - Cy-Chop Central!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythew View Post
    Give a positive reason to sub
    What do you call this? A negative reason to sub? I really don't get where some of you guys are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yep. Betcha no Modulok DOS might be announced next.
    They should. No anger here....but I already subbed

Quote Originally Posted by Mythew View Post
    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Give a positive reason to sub, Like a BASIC sub of just core figures. One a quarter. You'll fill that boat in a hurry.
    Honey = 57%

Not that it matters to Mattle, but that is one less month next year that they will be making money from this customer.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    I would give them all a PASS on the 2Bad fail if they'd also do this for PLUNDOR.
    Some figures could actually USE the false scarcity bump.
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Scott said the thermometer isn't a scare tactic. Everything else is fair game.
    So true!
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I would give them all a PASS on the 2Bad fail if they'd also do this for PLUNDOR.
    Is it a fail if it sparks a bunch of sub sales?
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I anticipated moves like this.That's why I finally subbed up.Infact I got 2 subs just so I could make selling off figures worth my while.I do feel bad that it has come to this but for those that can't afford expensive figures the prices will cool off eventually.You just have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    Not that it matters to Mattle, but that is one less month next year that they will be making money from this customer.
    Think of it this way. One extra sub sold is worth more than 12 people who were going to buy Two Bad but now can't.

I would die, suddenly Plundor becomes a MUST HAVE
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    But if you aren't subbing, there might not be a Matty next year. It's the big picture.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Well, if we needed more indication that this line is not for the casual fan . . .

Classics is great for what it is, but Mattel certainly isn't going to be growing the fanbase with an approach like this. Maybe they should start looking at other ways to monetize MotU beyond this and the licensing. I can't help but wonder if repros and new characters designed to fit in with the Vintage line would be less expensive to produce and more successful--they should still have a lot of the basic molds from the 20th Anniversary.

But I'm a filthy rotten cherry picker who only wants one figure desperately, and I could even live without him. I'm not the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    it totally makes sense.... stink cause id like to get a extra...but whattayagunnado..
    i bet two bad AND clam champ will show up on EA at some point in 2014
    A good possibility. After a few months they seem to get rid of the leftover-stock of them replacements. Storage space seems to be very expensive for Mattel

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    But I'm a filthy rotten cherry picker who only wants one figure desperately, and I could even live without him. I'm not the target audience.
    As much as I dislike many of his decisions, TG said they needed "people who would buy everything sight unseen". That's who they are servicing at this point.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I'd prefer to sell Two-Bads to LOTS of Hyve customers rather than to just one or two that are willing to overpay.
    It's always great when a toy appreciates in value, but it's a bit of a 2 sided coin.

Subs are a GREAT investment for a store like mine, but I'm only one Foe-Men / Karatti type of month away from bankruptcy at any given time.
    The risk is HIGH now that the Hyve is my only source of income. This year had BUMPS in the road. We all know this.

"All A-List for 2014 and 2015" sells me on the sub WAY more than this cheap sucker punch of false scarcity on Two Bad.
    Up until this news, I wasn't feeling the panic and fear about "Will the lien die?" though I had yet to sub in.

I probably WILL still buy my usual 4 subs, but more hesitantly than before.
    The folks selling us the subs have shown us some quite unsavory tactics.
    That makes sense...but at least this year there are no Foe-men like big risks in the mix.....and Two-Bad should offset any possible loss someone like Hydron would bring. I dunno, still seems like a good deal but I can see where you are coming from too. That's why I could never be a retailer. But as someone who has purchased from the Hyve and Mark and a lot of the other resellers on here....I appreciate what ya's do just the same. I just think mo money is always a good thing. Who doesn't like mo money?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I would die, suddenly Plundor becomes a MUST HAVE
    He already is!!!!!

I'm not sure this decision is a positive for established resellers. It will raise the aftermarket price on Two Bad but by how much? How many more subs will be purchased for resell purposes now? If it's a significant amount what will that do to resale prices on figures that are available DOS?

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yep. Betcha no Modulok DOS might be announced next.
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    They should. No anger here....but I already subbed
    Sorry, but no. Terrible idea. If he were designed like he was never meant to be pulled apart and put back together like the vintage, then yeah. But to do no DOS on something that combines with many copies of itself as well as another potential figure yet to be tooled.... no.
    More Vintage NA for MOTUC in 2016!!
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, Admiral Scurvy, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Though I am not a completist (and the high price of Teela, Shadow Weaver, Beast Man, etc... is keeping me from trying to be) but have decided to subscribe and sell off the figures I am not interested in. I was happy with the 8 figures I had but finding stuff at BL has increased my interest. Damn BL. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    I'm not sure this decision is a positive for established resellers. It will raise the aftermarket price on Two Bad but by how much? How many more subs will be purchased for resell purposes now? If it's a significant amount what will that do to resale prices on figures that are available DOS?
    The increase in revenue for Two Bad (like BBTS going in on a 2nd order and raising his price to $99 just like they did when they put Shadow Weaver from $40 to $65 in 2012) should offset the other figures that won't move.

Its always a gamble, anyone selling toys knows this going in. You are on "sale" or "discount" from a competitor away from having a massive money bleed on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    Classics is great for what it is, but Mattel certainly isn't going to be growing the fanbase with an approach like this.
    To be quite honest, we shouldn't be expecting any growth of a fanbase at this point when the line is nearing its end. A huge portion of the heavy hitters are out and over with, so at this point it's all about preserving the fanbase that is still around and swaying the fence sitters back over to sub again. This was a much needed move by ToyGuru in order to help the 2014 sub go through.