Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Nepthu Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Warrior
    Great video as always, Dan. I have one question and I promise I'm not mocking or anything of the sort, just curious - I don't think I've heard 'Zoar' pronounced that way before; is that taken from a medium that I'm not aware of?
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Nepthu is a decent enough figure and his "Heroic" look is much like King Hiss but without that dumb Zorro mask. As for his boots, I think they made a good call and compromised his design so they could add a little more tooling dollars to the other more popular Filmation figures.

Had they given Nepthu his unique boots, they might have had to use Tri-Klops armor for Plundor or maybe they wouldn't have included Skeletor's axe accessory. Making compromises on possibly the least popular character in the Filmation sub was definitely the way to go. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who prefers Nepthu over Plundor.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

I actually really like this guy the more I see him. It's a simple design, but I just love Egyptian stuff. The eyes are disappointing. I might try to track down an extra from all those people who don't like him so I can try out blacking out the upper eyelid.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I actually really like this guy the more I see him. It's a simple design, but I just love Egyptian stuff. The eyes are disappointing.
    My feelings exactly.

But I'm sure he will look great with the other Filmation characters.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Heroic Warrior
    Good mix&match fodder...

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I actually really like this guy the more I see him. It's a simple design, but I just love Egyptian stuff.
    I'm right there with you on this figure. He is simple but the Egyptian theme has me sold. It's because of my interest in Ancient Egypt that I always liked Nepthu.

Nepthu's character was much like MYP Count Marzo. Without their artifacts, both are powerless. Count Marzo is old and weak while Nepthu is a spirit that can only exist while someone is in possession of the Ankh.

Quote Originally Posted by Saved View Post
    Glad Im getting him. Plan to have him on Team Marzo.
    I'm not big on the Twilight "Team" stuff, but I agree. They would make a formidable duo.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Great reviews as always Dan. Thank you! But why does Nepthu get 720p and Mantenna only gets 480p? Sacrilege! You used the same camera on Mantenna's review as Scott does on his updates didn't you!?

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Worse then Snake Man-at-Arms. But if he payed for all the other cool figures, whatever.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    He seems to be a solid figure overall - its just the face!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

I'm not a big filmation fan and I really wanted to pick apart this guy's figure...but I can't really do that too much. He's just simple.

You guys really nailed it on the eyes and perch. I get why they saved tooling money on him on the perch and other stuff, otherwise he could have came with some cool magic blasts too.

I see some custom potential but I wonder if Mattel plans to reuse any of his new parts. The neck piece....maybe Garn. The biceps I'm not sure about but I wish the armbands were removable like horde bands. Also I think the loincloth is too unique for reuse, unless at least some modifications...like maybe a proper zodak 200x version.

I still think this guy was fluff because I just don't see him as very memorable. The rest of the filmation sub I am surprisingly pleased with though.
    Awesome sticker not included!™

I can think of at least a dozen filmation characters I would have preferred over this guy. King Tamosk (however it's spelt) comes to mind. Would be nice having a filmation character who also fits in with Preternia characters.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    i'm so going to sell this one

And you are right, there's something definitely wrong with his face, and part of it has to do with the eyebrows\paint

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    I'm right there with you on this figure. He is simple but the Egyptian theme has me sold. It's because of my interest in Ancient Egypt that I always liked Nepthu.

Nepthu's character was much like MYP Count Marzo. Without their artifacts, both are powerless. Count Marzo is old and weak while Nepthu is a spirit that can only exist while someone is in possession of the Ankh.

I'm not big on the Twilight "Team" stuff, but I agree. They would make a formidable duo.
    Twilight...eh....I'll keep my opinion to myself about that....stuff.

But as far as the Egyptian motif, and history, I myself love it too. I love the Iron Maiden Powerslave cover. I wrote a song about Moses From birth to just after the Red Sea called "The Prince" somewhat like a Maiden song, but has a total Egyptian sound during the verses, but only Metalized (Maiden style, I had an original Metal band at one time, still do original music, just more Rock with a Metal edge now), I carried my love for the Egyptian theme into my music, I even was working on one called "March of the Kings" about the Pharaohs, just before we disbanded.

Nepthu however leaves me wanting more, more detail, and especially he's missing the "guyliner", that is a big thing to leave out of the deco. I would have loved to have seen hieroglyphs sculpted into his neck band, Bicep straps, and the red portion of his skirt piece, that would have made the figure for me. As he is, he is OK, I can live with the face sculpt, But I'm going to have to get an extra just so my main display piece will have the eyeliner.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Great reviews as always Dan. Thank you! But why does Nepthu get 720p and Mantenna only gets 480p? Sacrilege! You used the same camera on Mantenna's review as Scott does on his updates didn't you!?
    I download them so I can watch them when I can, and I downloaded a 720 version of Mantenna's review....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    i'm so going to sell this one

And you are right, there's something definitely wrong with his face, and part of it has to do with the eyebrows\paint
    I think you'd do better just to do some painting, as I doubt you'll get any money for him, considering at the moment he has DOS stock, and is a much lesser wanted figure....Look at Shokoti, and she I would assume is much more wanted than Nepthu, and she is still on Matty, not even "almost gone" yet.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I love this figure.

His simple look makes him seem like a retro comic character to me. I don't know if I'm going to make him a main Zodak villian, companion, or Zodak's man servant (ie: Dr. Strange = Wong). A figure with so many possibilities has to be fun.

Nepthu is growing on me. It's no secret that I've been groaning about this character ever since the rumors started many months ago. He's certainly no favorite by far, but not a terrible figure. Very simple indeed, and the face really needs to look more evil. However, it's still a MOTUC figure, which means it can't be bad in my opinion .

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    He's exactly what I expected and as such, I can't say I'm disappointed with him. Dan nailed it though: He looks far too benign to be a villain.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Yeah, this figure makes me *yawn*. As I said before, the only thing I like is Diamond Zoar.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I think the majority of the people who didn't want this figure are saying they don't like him. The ones who were indifferent or actually wanted it to come to fruition are overall pleased. I know I am.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I'm all about the obscure, but with this one I don't feel he is warranted as say Morgoth, Melaktha or Negator. But I'm still pleased & feel he fits in just fine. But I must say I dont like how he look very little like a villain. I'm going to need a steady hand for painting on eyeliner & thickening his eyebrows.
    Plus just like with Shokoti... no stand or perch. whats the deal? Minor nit pick.
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

This figure kind of sucks, but I will use him as a mix and match lazy man's custom

Eh, I don't know what to think of him... which might be a first for me when it comes to these figures. Been saying it since his first leaked ebay photo... the entire face sculpt is just sooo lacking- it's that rare case for me where I actually prefer Filmation's version to a Four Horsemen version! I mean, he looked EVIL on the cartoon. Why was that so hard to translate to an action figure for them? Bizarre. What we do have though is a figure with a unique outfit that will stand out on the shelves. And what paint apps there are seem to be done really nice, so no complaints there. I might be one of the few who just doesn't care much for the diamond Zoar. I know putting an entire Sand Demon in with him was never going to be an option... maybe he could have come with some sort of "sand blast magic effect" to snap on to his hand instead? I dunno... just some sort of representation of the whole desert motif and his control over the sand to make those demons with the ankh would have been better, and shown more imagination. I'm not going to kitbash him or toss him in the trash or sell him. But I'm not too thrilled about his inclusion in the line right now. Maybe he'll grow on me or impress more in person?
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    Great video as always, Dan. I have one question and I promise I'm not mocking or anything of the sort, just curious - I don't think I've heard 'Zoar' pronounced that way before; is that taken from a medium that I'm not aware of?
    That's how they pronounce it in the Filmation cartoon. This is actually the first video where I made sure to pronounce it that way (as I've never said it like that personally.) Usually when I talk about Zoar in a video, a bunch of people yell at me for not pronouncing it like that. Heh.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    I want that crystal "Zoar" but the rest of the figure is meh. Too bad nobody is going to buy that figure without the bird!!

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Thanks For Your Review Dan. But honestly, the figure makes me *Yawn* !

Best part (?) is, he is getting "Day Of Sale" & Sea Hawk is not ! Awesome you think Mattel ?

Well, At the end of the day, let us clap........... and welcome, the #1 contender for Big Lots OR future Cyber Monday Sale !
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

I like him! Even with his friendly face! The scarab ankh is cool, and the crystal Zoar is sweet. Yeah, he looks kinda like a happy Eternian milkman or something, but whatevs.