Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Nepthu Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Warrior
    Nepthu started out as a benevolent leader to his people in the Sands of Time, building a vast and successful empire. Then came Shokoti. Seeing his empire, she came to him in visions, seducing him at every turn. He became evil and cruel, trying many times to stop himself but eventually gave in to the evil witch. His people were turned into slaves, building him monuments and temples. It was then that the Green Goddess came to Vikor and told him to go south, further south than he had ever ventured before. It was there, at the Temple of the Sun in the Sands of Time that Vikor met Nepthu, and with the help of the Green Goddess, severed his connection to Shokoti and trapped his essence in the Sun Scarab.

Hundreds of years later, an old man lost in the Sands of Time stumbled upon the Temple of the Sun and within it, the Sun Scarab. Upon touching the Scarab, the old man was transformed and Nepthu was reborn. He immediately began rebuilding what time, the Goddess, and Vikor had stolen from him and in doing so, drew the attention of the Sorceress. Taking the form of Zoar the Falcon, she flew to the Sands of Time to investigate what her vision had shown her. Nepthu saw Zoar in the sky and captured her. While trying to escape, Zoar was able to send a warning to He-Man, but was captured once again and turned to crystal by the evil Nepthu. He-Man, along with Battle Cat, MAA, and Melaktha, traveled to the Temple of the Sun where they encountered and fought Nepthu. He-Man was able to defeat and re-imprison Nepthu in the Sun Scarab, but the Scarab was lost in the battle and Nepthu's essence along with it.

That's who Nepthu is to me and I really dig his figure. Two heads would have been great, or maybe just re-done eyes. Either way, I'll be happy to have him in my collection.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    That's how they pronounce it in the Filmation cartoon. This is actually the first video where I made sure to pronounce it that way (as I've never said it like that personally.) Usually when I talk about Zoar in a video, a bunch of people yell at me for not pronouncing it like that. Heh.
    My apologies on that, then. For some reason - and I want very badly to blame it on the cold I'm fighting right now - I recalled it being the other way in the show.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Very easy pass for me even though he's a villain.

He's smiling! He's smiling at me!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    My apologies on that, then. For some reason - and I want very badly to blame it on the cold I'm fighting right now - I recalled it being the other way in the show.
    Oh, no need to apologize man! I'm the same as you and have always said it like "Zore" but have been trying to train myself to say "Zo-Ar" instead, since that's the way it was pronounced in the toon and that often gets pointed out to me.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Very easy pass for me even though he's a villain.

He's smiling! He's smiling at me!
    If you have King Hiss, he's doing the very same thing but with a mask on just in case you might recognize his true identity.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Nepthu just doesn't do anything for me...I'm going to get him in my Filmation subs and he'll go on display but I'm almost more interested in the crystal Zo-ar that comes with him. As always a great review Dan.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

It must be tough to be the figure reviewed just after Mantenna.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    If you have King Hiss, he's doing the very same thing but with a mask on just in case you might recognize his true identity.
    Nah...King Hsss has an evil smile. Nepthu has a happy smile. Big difference.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I like him. He seems like a good guy, though.

And I agree we should have gotten a new perch for crystal Zoar. I suspect character/figures like Nepthu are planned in to be deliberately low in production costs to help offset costs elsewhere. I'm happy to be getting Nepthu...
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Nah...King Hsss has an evil smile. Nepthu has a happy smile. Big difference.
    It's the "evil" eye mask that makes all the difference in that smile.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Now and then I see polls or threads about what character, you know, are people most disappointed with and I've always felt like--except for some QC issues--I liked every single character. I wasn't clamoring for Vykor and had never heard of a lot of the characters we have now but, ya know, I like 'em. I was even excited to hear we were getting Nepthu. But, sadly, I have to say... this is the very first character (and I have them all) that I wish I could just return to sender and get my money back. It's so bla. What's weird is that someone didn't sort of see this and fix it. Truly the only boring figure for me in what is a wonderful above average line of figures.

Congrats Mattel, you've managed to make an even more boring and pointless character than Dekkar

If they wanted a cheap easy tool character they should have gone with Masque.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonLimeGygor View Post
    Congrats Mattel, you've managed to make an even more boring and pointless character than Dekkar
    If you don't like the character of Dekker, it's hard to deny that he works great for a generic Eternian/Etherian villager. I just missed buying your Dekker. I could have saved on shipping fees since I am always in AmCan.

great review as always Dan but tbh I'm not a big fan of this guy. I'm guessing he's a more hardcore collectors figure. I do agree he looks for to good and not sinister enough. he'd prob make for some interesting parts swaps not that he has much to swap.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    I like this figure but I wish his eyes looked more like the toon and he had his sandals
    Most Wanted MOTUC's not shown: Quake, Sagitar, Dark Dream, Filmation Garth (post transformation), Filmation Evil Seed, MYP Miro, Lord Masque

I'm actually kinda digging Nepthu the more I see him. Sure, his eyes should be closer to the toon and that falcon needs her perch (Zoar is, in my book, seperate from the Sorceress, a male fighting falcon who sports green armor). (I'm trying to wrangle an extra green perch for her already.)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    I'm gonna use this guy as "Nabu" from the DC comics. Going to make an Egyptian-themed display with him, along with Dr Fate, Golden Pharoah, Black Adam, and of course, Blue Beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I'm actually kinda digging Nepthu the more I see him. Sure, his eyes should be closer to the toon and that falcon needs her perch (Zoar is, in my book, seperate from the Sorceress, a male fighting falcon who sports green armor). (I'm trying to wrangle an extra green perch for her already.)
    I traded away most of that weapons pak but I ended up keeping the green perch and armor. I am very glad I did that now that I need a perch for the crystalized Zoar.

love the crystal zoar.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Yep, one of my favorite parts. And the name will always rhyme with "soar" to me! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    Nepthu started out as a benevolent leader to his people in the Sands of Time, building a vast and successful empire. Then came Shokoti. Seeing his empire, she came to him in visions, seducing him at every turn. He became evil and cruel, trying many times to stop himself but eventually gave in to the evil witch. His people were turned into slaves, building him monuments and temples. It was then that the Green Goddess came to Vikor and told him to go south, further south than he had ever ventured before. It was there, at the Temple of the Sun in the Sands of Time that Vikor met Nepthu, and with the help of the Green Goddess, severed his connection to Shokoti and trapped his essence in the Sun Scarab.

Hundreds of years later, an old man lost in the Sands of Time stumbled upon the Temple of the Sun and within it, the Sun Scarab. Upon touching the Scarab, the old man was transformed and Nepthu was reborn. He immediately began rebuilding what time, the Goddess, and Vikor had stolen from him and in doing so, drew the attention of the Sorceress. Taking the form of Zoar the Falcon, she flew to the Sands of Time to investigate what her vision had shown her. Nepthu saw Zoar in the sky and captured her. While trying to escape, Zoar was able to send a warning to He-Man, but was captured once again and turned to crystal by the evil Nepthu. He-Man, along with Battle Cat, MAA, and Melaktha, traveled to the Temple of the Sun where they encountered and fought Nepthu. He-Man was able to defeat and re-imprison Nepthu in the Sun Scarab, but the Scarab was lost in the battle and Nepthu's essence along with it.
    Got to take issue with this explanation. In the Filmation episode the "old man" seemed to know exactly what he was digging for in the Temple and made an active bid to locate it- meaning the scarab. I didn't get at all that he was just some random desert traveler who happened to be simply lost. In fact he was frantically looking for the Temple and once found even more so ferreted out the scarab. The cartoon shows him literally tossing items from a stack in an attempt to dig out the scarab.

To me it seemed as if the old guy was the precursor to Count Marzo from the 200X series. Meaning that the old guy is the non-transformed form of Nepthu and that he isn't in his full flower until the old man has possession of the scarab- like Marzo with his magic amulet.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Great review, but not too excited about the figure. Wish is eyebrows/ eye shadow was more menacing.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    To me it seemed as if the old guy was the precursor to Count Marzo from the 200X series. Meaning that the old guy is the non-transformed form of Nepthu and that he isn't in his full flower until the old man has possession of the scarab- like Marzo with his magic amulet.
    The way I saw it, anyone who obtained the Ankh became Nepthu as if possessed by the artifact itself, much like what we saw in the "Masks of Power" episode of He-Man. Both Aran and Oona were taken over by the masks and became Deemos and Tarella.

Yes Soar....Zoar......needs a perch. And Dan, I know you got ripped before but man it sounds...just....wrong and unnatural......just my opinion of course.

Heroic Warrior
    New face for a Palace Guard anyone?