Thread: MattyCollector Sub & Castle Grayskull Videos

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

MattyCollector Sub & Castle Grayskull Videos

I couldn't really find a spot to post this, so I thought I'd do a thread to collect them all. I apologize if there's another thread for these...I couldn't find one.

2014 MOTUC Sub video posted August 16th:

Castle Grayskull Progress posted August 11th:

2014 MOTUC Sub and Meters update posted August 7th:

NON-MOTUC Videos:

DC Sub video posted August 9th:

Ghostbusters Ecto-1 and Neutrino Wand posted August 17th:

Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Mock-up and comparison posted August 3rd:

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I know they say the thermometer is accurate but seems fishy that TG would pre make videos at the office last week just to 'cover his bases' if all 3 items haven't hit 100% yet so he has something to piston the final stretch.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    That Ghostbusters stuff is pretty sweet! If I hadn't put everything into MOTUC I would go for an Ghostbusters sub.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    I know they say the thermometer is accurate but seems fishy that TG would pre make videos at the office last week just to 'cover his bases' if all 3 items haven't hit 100% yet so he has something to piston the final stretch.
    Or...maybe, he made the videos in anticipation of the slow sales (like last year) and directed his staff to post them if the numbers weren't hit by the weekend to keep the need to sub alive in our minds.

Dancing cats
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Ecto-1 is going to crash and burn, and justifiably so. The crash is most probably due to the previous chicanery related to large ticket scandals such as the Hoverboard and Castle Bait-And-Switch. And before you attack me personally, keep in mind that it is the uproar from folks like me that got the Jaw Bridge height level adjusted. You can thank me anytime, as I was one of the most ardent critics of that particular switch-a-roo.

The MOTUC 2014 "meter" has no quantifiable or published data indicating how many have subscribed, and how many more are required to attain 100%. This is why people do not trust it. There are no "rumors" or "conspiracy theories" among competent people who prefer numbers and data over scare tactics and emotional hype. A real question worth asking is why Mattel didn't hire an advertising agency to get word out there. Relying on MOTU chat boards hardly taps into the toy-buying community as a whole.

Now, if we were just allowed to know how many subscriptions validate "success," that might help clarify things for everyone.

That said, I am a subscriber, but here's the thing everyone needs to remember.

If 2014 reverts into another year with half cool stuff and half unwanted stuff (a la this year), then it can easily be deduced that people will dump subscriptions again as they did this year.

However, if 2014 is mostly free of Foe Men, Gygor and Faceless One type stuff, then subbers will most likely stay with the line.

Time will tell.
    Last edited by Jaw Bridge; August 17, 2013 at 08:37pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Mattel doesn't hire an ad agency for MOTUC, because it is a very small line and the budget is fully spent on the toys. This line will only exist if it makes Mattel some money and doesn't cost a whole heck of a lot.

I do believe the sub meter, but I understand why some don't. It WOULD be nice if Mattel started using Kickstarter, because it's a third party thing that updates on it's own, not manually by Mattel. If Mattel and Kickstarter could work something out so the number of supporters and the amount of money collected isn't shown, and they basically have the percentage bar like on Matty (but done independently by Kickstarter), I could see Mattel going for it. It's part of their business policy (as all major toy companies work, really), where they won't reveal sales figures to the public.

I think more people would believe the meter, if it was done by Kickstarter. We would also have to the minute updates, which would be cool.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Jaw bridge, you have more than once implied massive numbers of subscribers dumped their subs last year while offering NO PROOF whatsoever that it was anything more than a vocal minority that did so. If it was a substantial number, let's see the numbers. Same for CG. Otherwise, it is your opinion this occurred, not a fact.

Once AGAIN; The sub has and will ALWAYS include figures from all the factions. Merely because YOU personally do not like a figure does NOT mean that a substantial number of other people do not as well. For someone to subscribe KNOWING the line is not going to have just characters from one faction and then complain of being "slimed" as you have said elsewhere really just doesn't garner ANY sympathy from myself or anyone else.

As TG said, the lines require people to sub KNOWING they will get more than what they themselves may specifically want to get the figures they DO want. Even though I have no interest in Super-Boy or Hook Hand Aquaman, if the DCIE line was closer to even the Tier One level for subs, I would likely sign up to try and help bring the line another year of life and then just most likely trade/sell the figures I did not want. Unfortunately, I really (as of the last update) fail to see how DCIE can close the gap.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

I know my statements are correct based on the following:

1.) MOTU core characters (Ram Man, Man At Arms, Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, etc) are what most fans want out of this line. Yes, the POP crowd is a solid second place, but the NA and oddball dedicated folks are few and far between. Devoting considerable slots to the oddballs is what turns most fans off. For every fan of Marzo, polls can show you 100 fans of Saurod. Don't believe me? Recall the DOS times, dates, data on characters like Ram Man, Sorceress and Whiplash versus stuff like Gygor, Spector and Karatti. Still don't believe me? Check their Ebay prices, and compare them. It's easily verifiable that the core characters sell well even on the secondary market for considerable prices, whereas stuff like Laser Lot and Foe Men barely break even (if not sold at LOSS). Heck, even the Big Lots core characters are outdoing the oddballs in terms of popularity and re-sale value. Man-E-Faces typically fetches 20-30 dollars a sale, compared with stuff like Faceless One and Marzo.

2.) Stop making this personal. This notion and demand that people should buy "stuff" they don't want is absurd. In this economy, many regular folks are "cherry pickers" because they have no other choice. Making videos about people "subbing up all in" is both insulting and ridiculous, especially given the notoriety of what we should expect from the past.

3.) My belief that people dumped their subs in considerable numbers to avoid the Foe Men style stink on their credit cards is valid.
    A.) Many people don't have 100+ dollars to commit to stuff they don't want, nor do they have the patience to try to sell things at LOSS (which is evidently the case right now, just check Ebay).
    B.) Many people outside this website discussed dumping their subs after Ram Man came out. Check other forums sometime.
    C.) Mattel instigated a knee-jerk reaction by pushing an unprecedented and sudden "hey, subscribe to the 2013 line" offer in what, April-May? That particular maneuver helps provide some validity to my beliefs.
    D.) I don't know exact numbers because NO ONE is allowed to know data and numbers. In fact, the only thing Mattel seems interested in letting us know is emotional hype and scare tactics. There is nothing scientific at all about their "polls" or "thermometers." MOTU characters like Lord Masque were heavily voted for in the polls, but stuff like Plundor is foisted on subbers instead. Doesn't make any sense at all.

4.) As for advertising budget, only an uninformed and uneducated guy expects to sell something on a national or international scale with ZERO advertising effort. Flashy ads on toy websites would probably be effective. Paper pull out with full color photos in the 5 dollar Filmation MOTU DVDs for sale at Wal-Mart would probably be effective. Stuff like that. Because Mattel is not committing any money to advertising indicates that we will never know the full potential this line could have. Yet, they believe that the myopic MOTU chat boards will be an effective way to promote this line?
    Last edited by Jaw Bridge; August 19, 2013 at 09:36am.