Thread: Never Made Before Characters: Who Has a Good Chance of Returning in a Future Line?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Never Made Before Characters: Who Has a Good Chance of Returning in a Future Line?

So I was watching Fall of Grayskull, which features Battleground Teela and...someone else who only appeared in the Classics line. Since these particular characters and variants are non-traditional, non-Vintage toyline and non-Filmation, it made me wonder...since we have a host of never before made characters in Classics, which "never before made character or variant in Classics" stands a good chance of joining the Vintage toyline characters in future MOTU lines?

Would a future MOTU line be complete without seeing new additions such as Green Goddess? Battleground Teela? Goat Man? 200X Count Marzo? 200X Evilseed? Callix? Prahvus? The Griffin? Castle Grayskullman? Dreago-Man?

This extends to some of the lesser Filmation characters as well. Some regular appearing Filmation characters that the original toyline missed are pretty much considered Vintage or Vintage POP characters, like Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Adora, Madame Razz, Imp, etc. Hell, She-Ra and Catra might as well be Vintage MOTU characters (not sure about anyone else in POP). But what about Shokoti and Masque? Do they stay onwards? Is Granita one of the Comet Warriors, making them a trio instead of a duo? Would Icer, Fang Man and Strong Arm become legitimate Evil Warriors, instead of being a "Filmation thing". Does Nepthu return?

I know some figures and variants might be controversial and WILL involve some fierce debate. Would fans want to see these non-original toyline figures again or will fans go back to a purist mentality, wanting only the toyline characters first and foremost?

Discuss!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Sadly, Spector, Standor will be forgotten... Good Riddance to SLL and Cy-Suck!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Draego Man's popularity might lend him to reappear in future lines, especially since there's already a history of red dragons in MOTU and he's much easier to produce than an oversized guy like Granamyr.

I also see the possibility for Strobo to show up again. If the cosmic enforcers are supposed to be a far-reaching influential group it makes sense to have more than just Zodac and Zodak.

I doubt any future line will be anywhere near as encompassing as motuc. Even a movie line will probably only be ten characters at best that appear in the movie. I think it's very unlikely we'll get most of these characters from classics again in a future line.

I've never been a purist. I love seeing all the characters that appeared in comics and cartoons get toys finally.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I doubt any future line will be anywhere near as encompassing as motuc. Even a movie line will probably only be ten characters at best that appear in the movie. I think it's very unlikely we'll get most of these characters from classics again in a future line.

I've never been a purist. I love seeing all the characters that appeared in comics and cartoons get toys finally.
    I agree with this. I don't see this property continuing and thriving like others. I think future lines will be smaller and stick to the base characters. With Sony pictures being in the financial state they are in, and the world (possibly) heading into another recession, I personally don't see a He-Man movie getting greenlit anytime soon---no matter how far they are along with script and director....but even one were to be made, and be supported with an action figure line---I cannot imagine the line would span more 2-3 waves---the same as most other properties---not nearly the runway we have seen with MOTUC.

MOTUC is the one, best shot that we have to expand the line and get charcters we never had before made. Its important to keep supporting the sublines with hope we can get the IDEAL variants and versions we want--We will never see MOTU get a representation as fullsome as this ever again.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post

I have to tend to agree. Even if there was a Movie toy line or somehow MOTU got another/different toy line back at retail or elsewhere I don't think it will ever be as deep and inclusive as Classics. Perhaps the one exception to this could be Shadow Weaver. That is a character who got her first figure in Classics and I could see getting eventually included in a movie or having a slot if there was a retail toy line.
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Dylamug/Malektha/Twiggets/Granita/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Karg/Damon
    BEASTS:Stridor/Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/TyrantisaurousRex

It's hard to say. If you take a look at starwars for instance, they had a lot of characters in the Kenner line but when it was revived by hasbro, the redid those added variants and never before seen characters. And new characters were still coming out before all these new stories and cartoons flooded us with even more new characters. If lets say the scale was brought down might lend to more affordability to make more characters , but the true genius to motu was the reuse of parts, and even now artists creating new characters mix and max parts to create new characters, which lends for easier tooling costs. Theirs a lot built in that is in our favor as long the fan base is down to buy it.

I don't see MOTU ever rivalling Star Wars ever again. Yes, it was insanely popular in the early eighties, but the series' true moment of glory was then, in that era. Think of it like Davy Crockett - for a time in the 1950s, coonskin caps were all the rage. Nowadays, plenty of people still appreciate the Fess Parker films, and we all know who Crockett was, but he's just never going to be all the rage with kids again.

I definitely think we could see the likes of Icer, Shokoti, Fang Man, Goat-man, Draego-man, Geldor, Demo-Man and even Castle Grayskullman in future toy or media takes on MOTU. Serpentine Hsss is another that could definitely get a future run. In fact, to some ways perhaps he was in DC Eternity War #13.

Oh, and the Unnamed One as an evil trollan could be a keeper ... even if in future he is minor league instead of being cast as the essential villain.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

A lot of these characters have a good chance to return, I think. Probably not all at once (unless He-Man really takes off again), but I think they've made a foothold at this point. As it is, some of the characters who got their first figure in MotUC were already way more popular than some of the later original toyline characters.

As for the entirely new characters, I think Castle Grayskullman has a good chance of coming back, as long as whoever does the next thing is aware of him. I think he's a really interesting idea, looks perfect, and gives you something else to do with the Castle.

I also think the Unnamed One could be brought back in a good way. As some sort of man behind everything, he's too controversial, but he's now a pre-established opening to show more depth to Trollans than just the comedic Orko. Trollans are faceless magic-users who float around in robes. The Unnamed One shows how that can be interpreted to make a pretty creepy wraith as much as a joke.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; January 18, 2016 at 06:13am.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I agree with this. I don't see this property continuing and thriving like others. I think future lines will be smaller and stick to the base characters. With Sony pictures being in the financial state they are in, and the world (possibly) heading into another recession, I personally don't see a He-Man movie getting greenlit anytime soon---no matter how far they are along with script and director....but even one were to be made, and be supported with an action figure line---I cannot imagine the line would span more 2-3 waves---the same as most other properties---not nearly the runway we have seen with MOTUC.

MOTUC is the one, best shot that we have to expand the line and get charcters we never had before made. Its important to keep supporting the sublines with hope we can get the IDEAL variants and versions we want--We will never see MOTU get a representation as fullsome as this ever again.

Then even if we do get a toyline in a movie year it will probably be a retail focused line, i.e 4 inches tall and minimal articulation and detailing. Classics really is the best MOTU line we're likely to get!

Heroic Warrior
    Eight years in and we haven't seen any plans for retail. The Classics are all encompassing and therefore arguably represent the pinnacle of the property. I don't see it going beyond what we have now without a radical change of direction... which wouldn't be MOTU. It's too diverse to have enough staying power. I've always said the strength in the story lies with MOTU's barbarian roots. That's the one area that has the most potential. I'm reminded of the manga MOTU (200X) competing miserably with Lord of the Rings. Only a really dark version of the story could gain traction.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    What I was asking is if you guys see some of these characters or variants returning in future lines, among the Vintage toyline characters.

Unless a MOTU movie is a crazy hit with audiences, I know Classics is going to be an extremely tough act to follow by the next MOTU toyline. I'm just wondering if MOTU is going to be stuck in "Vintage figures only mode" or will we see the "new" MOTU characters or variants that have been done for the Classics line?

Like would we ever see Skeletor, Beast Man and Goat Man in an assortment? How about Whiplash, Clawful and Count Marzo in a wave? Perhaps Lizard Man, Ram Man and Clamp Champ? Could we see Blonde Teela chase figures when Redhaired Teela comes out (I dunno about the Battleground bikini costume nowadays since Slave Leia was cracked down upon by Disney...but hell, He-Man is wearing just as much as Battleground Teela anyway and Battleground Teela isn't a prisoner).

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

If the line were ever rebooted - I'd want a tight line up of just the main characters.

I'd never ever be interested in buying another full collection like I have now.

Currently, I have the entire collection of original He-Man and the bulk of the 200X series.

For Classics I have every release - and I have no room left.
    Jay

Heroic Warrior
    do I see Gorpo returning. no. would I want him to return? Yes. same for The mighty Spector. Same for the Anniversary characters. same for Mo-Larr.

Green Goddess is a bit different. Exploding crotch didn't help her.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I don't see MOTU ever rivalling Star Wars ever again. Yes, it was insanely popular in the early eighties, but the series' true moment of glory was then, in that era. Think of it like Davy Crockett - for a time in the 1950s, coonskin caps were all the rage. Nowadays, plenty of people still appreciate the Fess Parker films, and we all know who Crockett was, but he's just never going to be all the rage with kids again.
    I am not so sure. I would argue that THIS era is even more successful than the 80s run in terms of quanitity of figures and duration of the line. I will reserve final judgement for the last day of the line...but its pretty great to be a motu fan right now.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

I think Green Goddess stands a good chance of a remake due to both the problems with her first figure (which was my first Classics figure) and her usage in the current DC Comics continuity.

Court Magician
    I would love to see admiral scurvy, dial a mug, false face, colonial blast, and several new snake men. Mattel, can you make this happen for all the fans. Thank you

He-Man
    Skeletor
    Man-At-Arms
    Teela
    Orko
    Battle Cat
    Clamp Champ
    Beast Man
    Evil Lyn
    Trap Jaw
    Sorceress
    Ram Man

Thats about all I see coming back
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

Heroic Warrior
    If Mattel re-releases the Sorceress I want her to be Filmation style and fix the wings to where she can sent in the thrown of Greyskull.