Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How "Filmation" should Mattel get?

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar

How "Filmation" should Mattel get?

This is something that been on my mind and I figure I had a couple minutes, so I wanted to have some fun and throw this out to you guys.

So anyways, with the style guide and minicomics and such, we are learning that we have a way to get certain characters like Queen Marlena, and Swift Wind pretty close to their cartoon looks, as they did Princess Adora.

But after seeing Bow's monstrously awesome hybrid design, I began to wonder. How tied are you guys to a figure being 100% Filmation accurate?

When Princess Adora was first revealed most people went bananas, then after that cooled off there are those who were kind of bummed that Adora came off so... plain, next to someone as ornately detailed as Teela.

She-Ra was rather polarizing as some fans were elated She-Ra, too, looks like she stepped off the cartoon, while some fans wanted more of a nod to the vintage doll design (The headdress, bodice, gauntlets, boots, etc.)

Then we have Bow, who, other than the discussion regarding the boot and gauntlets details being too close to NA He-Man, came off amazingly as he encompassed the cartoon (head and harp), the toy (armor & quiver design), and new Four Horsemen elements to up the detail and add shared tooling for future figures (NA He-Man).

Now Adora I can accept as being less detailed since Adam is equally plain (not everyone needs to be super detailed), but I was wondering with Catra and other Filmation designs going forward, would you take it by a character by character basis? Should all Filmation designs remain untouched? Should vintage toy elements get more (or less) of a nod? Should it ONLY be based on the vintage toys?

As an example, let's take any lady. We'll use Castaspella. I think most fans would keep the Filmation hairstyles as it makes them more unique, but her costume is plenty different from toy to toon. What direction would you prefer they take her (or any Filmation character)? Should she be in her ornate toy look? In style guide colors? Should she be a strict Filmation design? Wheel on her back? Cape? Both/Interchangeable?

If there is a Filmation only character like Shadow Weaver or Scorpia, must she look STRICTLY like her Filmation design, or should they add slightly new details (like a detailed Horde symbol, Scorpia's armor plating, etc.). On the other side of the coin, our current Teela resembles her concept art. Would you like a Teela that more closely resembling her Filmation/"later-minicomics" or action figure look as a A-list variant? Would you buy a "hybrid" Teela (and in turn Evil-Lyn)?

I myself like the "Bow" look, that combines toy, cartoon, and new Four Horsemen touches that can be shared. But I also wouldn't say no to them doing another Teela, resembling Filmation, but with more ornate details on her gauntlets, pointed in the opposite direction as fans have suggested, and from her, getting an Evil-Lyn with a cape. Stuff like that.

You?
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 22, 2011 at 02:49pm.

I like my POP figures filmation accurate, fi they are not, I won't buy them, simple as that.

She-ra 2.0 won't include filmation head, OR something as simple and cheap as the tiara, a low gimmick to make you buy the 2-pack, I will, but I WON'T buy She-ra 2.0. I'd rather make a cut to the skirt so she can sit on Swift Wind.

I like the idea of starting with the style guide/filmation look and adding a few small details for effect. Keeping the Filmation colors, hair style and face are most important.

I'm someone who finds Bow's space boots a bit off-putting when combined with his contemporaries like She-Ra, Catra and even He-Man. And She-Ra would have looked more interesting with her toy boot details.

I'm really not into the "neither-here-nor-there" hybrid looks (such as Bow), unless it's, say, and added accessory or something that can be removed without effecting the main source look, because for whatever reason I have the mindset that it waters down the characters... even if it's just one or two things that are switched-out. To make everyone happy, I think Mattel should just make both Filmation and toy line style figures. However, I'm not at all opposed to the 4H embellishing on existing details that are on the toy line gals. That I can get on board with. In the initial phase at retail, and with POP especially, I think Mattel needs a well thought-out plan that establishes a unified look and, bio-wise, a cohesive storyline so customers who are new to the brand can start to develop a strong sense for what the world and characters are all about. All the twists and turns (i.e. variant looks (by variant I mean introducing a completely different style), wacky storlines etc.)) can come later. With a brand like Wonder Woman, the reason I can accept something that majorly deviates from the main iconic storyline, such as Wonder Woman and The Star Riders, is because Wonder Woman is a strongly established brand, whereas POP has been out of the marketplace for a very long time.
    Last edited by Tallstar; March 22, 2011 at 12:40pm.

The designs should be redesigned to adhere to the Classics look, just as promised when the Toyline started.

"All figures will look as if they had been made as a MOTU figure back in the 80's"

No cartoon-styles, no PoP-toy-styles, no 200X-styles, no NA-styles. It should all be classics style. Adora and She-Ra look out of place compared to the better ones like Optikk and Bow.

With most of the characters I'd probably be ok with hybrid versions, but when you mentioned Shadow Weaver and Scorpia for me they must be 100% Filmation accurate. I think Adora and She-Ra look fantastic standing next to the other figures.

For me personally, I would like them to stick to the cartoon versions as much as possible.
    I have zero interest in the old POP figures. I only had She Ra and Mermista. They just looked plain. I bought more Golden Girl figures and used them with my MOTU because they were more beefed up.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I like the idea of starting with the style guide/filmation look and adding a few small details for effect. Keeping the Filmation colors, hair style and face are most important.
    That's what I'm saying as well.

Filmat...errr "Style Guide" is definitely the starting point being the most popular looks of PoP characters. It's like a receipe, make sure not to forget a couple dashes of vintage toy, mini comic, whatever other media that's available...

I just hope they do more polls like they did with Man-E-Faces. Although next time they should provide us with a pic of each choice...even if it's photoshopped pics and not actual colored prototypes.
    Last edited by Count Marzo; March 22, 2011 at 02:11pm.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

As much as I love Filmation, it's kind of a moot point with me. With ToyGuru basing the bios on mini-comics & MYP and the Four Horsemen throwing in 2002 elements or their own little touches, it's never going to be perfect imo. Trust me, if they had a line based on Filmation tomorrow, I'd drop MOTUC in 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    No cartoon-styles, no PoP-toy-styles, no 200X-styles, no NA-styles. It should all be classics style. Adora and She-Ra look out of place compared to the better ones like Optikk and Bow.
    Except that Optikk is practically identical to his NA toy which he would not have been if he was made as a part of the original 80's toyline.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 22, 2011 at 02:20pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

With characters like Scorpia and Shadow Weaver, due to legal reasons, I think they are not going to be able to deviate from the Filmation look based on how copyright license works. Unless, Mattel buys out the rights completely to the Filmation library. All of which may be a moot point because, right now, that is pie in the sky!

As far as the POP characters go, I think they should be more closer to the cartoon/style guide look and embellish from there. For one, this is the most iconic look of the characters and the only real media interpretation of the characters that we have. Second, the toys (while outfits are more detailed) were just not that great to start with. For me they were just, meh! Faces were all the same (at least among the girls) and the characters looked nothing like their cartoon counterparts (which is like calling a lime a lemon in my opinion). This to me was a big reason the line didn't do as well, that and it was completely marketed for girls. The cartoon look/style guide designs, I think, blend in better with the whole MOTUC look. However, this doesn't mean there cannot be added detail to embellish on the design. With the exception of maybe Double Trouble (whom we only have the Toy to go buy), this appears to largely be what Mattel is going to do with the POP gals. This way, they appeal to a potentially broader and larger fanbase.
    Last edited by csc0709; March 22, 2011 at 03:01pm.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    The designs should be redesigned to adhere to the Classics look, just as promised when the Toyline started.

"All figures will look as if they had been made as a MOTU figure back in the 80's"

I came in here to say this but as She-Ra & Catra has shown us, we are getting Filmation designs first & maybe one day, classic style.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

I think it should be a case by case basis.

Castaspella should probably look more like Filmation, as we never had that version, BUT she should certainly come with the Golden Hypnosis Wheel as an accessory... just keep it gold and add blue "fire" to the design, to keep with her blue Filmation theme.

She must come with another accessory too (NOT A COMB-Weapon... after Catra's whip, I'm done with those). That should be golden too. In Casta's case, a nice Filmation base with some hyper golden detailing would be great.

Glimmer: Again, I think she should definitely have the Filmation head (maybe 2 heads, like Bow, since the Filmatiom head is different from the toy head). I'd like her costume to be more like the MOTUC Bow's: more detailed than Filmation... her Filmation costume was REALLY plain Incorporating more of the shiny/metallic paint scheme (as seen in the vintage toy) would be cool, especially since her magic is light-based. She also HAS to come with glow in the dark headdress/tiara & Staff.

Catra I don't mind seeing as almost purely Filmation, as long as we get a vintage toy version too.

Frosta looks basically the same in both toy and Filmation... but I like the mini-comic version of her cape the best.
    A Want List of Sorts: Saurod, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Snake Mountain, Prahvus, Veena, King Chuboolu, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Add more detail, please.

The Filmation style guide looks are pretty minimalistic compared to the MOTU females with their incredibly ornate leotards, boots and bracers. No designs on boots or bracelets? I think they look so plain in comparison. Imagine how minimalistic a Filmation He-Man would look compared to his MOTUC figure.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) Horde Wraiths Azdar Belzar Chazdar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Teenage Prince Adam 200X Teenage Teela 200X Sorceress General Rattlor (MYP) 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena Ice Armor He-Man WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Add more detail, please.

The Filmation style guide looks are pretty minimalistic compared to the MOTU females with their incredibly ornate leotards, boots and bracers. No designs on boots or bracelets? I think they look so plain in comparison. Imagine how minimalistic a Filmation He-Man would look compared to his MOTUC figure.
    Agreed... and they can look to the vintage toys for inspiration, which is what they seem to have done with Bow, and that was a triumph!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Saurod, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Snake Mountain, Prahvus, Veena, King Chuboolu, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I'm with bcrduke & Megagearmax. I prefer the looks to be mostly based on the Filmation looks, but with details from the toys added. Like Catra - mostly filmation, but they added inscribing on her belt to mimick the inscribing on vintage toy Catra's belt. I wish Bow had gotten the boots he had on his figure and cartoon. I'm ok with the gauntlets, but I guess the need to save money and share parts won out.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Agreed... and they can look to the vintage toys for inspiration, which is what they seem to have done with Bow, and that was a triumph!!
    Indeed!!!!
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Personally, I think Bow was an exception. I remember reading somewhere Toyguru saying the brief given to the Four Horsemen was 'make him COOL!'. He was never the most revered character (this is due to his look in the toyline and his personality in the cartoon, IMO), so they needed to up the ante.

For the women, the Filmation designs are the most popular and they're accessible to Mattel via the Style Guide. I would expect Glimmer and Queen Angella to be released in their Style Guide outfits as Catra, She-Ra and Adora have been. Castaspella concerns me a little though- Toyguru has said she's his favourite character from POP but the cartoon version wasn't nearly as prominent as Angella or Glimmer. I hope he looks to forums like these over any personal preferences.

I agree about Castaspella's wheel though and think it would look spectacular with some blue detailing as bcrduke has suggested. Her Style Guide design depicts a smaller 'wheel' on her wrist- I wouldn't mind seeing this included as a second accessory, perhaps like a shield or removable disk she can throw at enemies.

Peekablue, Mermista and Flutterina, I believe will be truer to their toy designs. But Perfuma's another 'Bow' - I think Mattel will want to redesign her to make her as appealing to a wider base of fans as possible (again, could include a mixture of toy/style guide influences).

I agree with most others here with regard to Shadow Weaver and Scorpia. The cartoon designs are their only designs so they'd need to stay true to them. I'd welcome newly-designed weapons (although Shadow Weaver could include Styrax and an array of wands used in the cartoon, shadow coils etc- heck, I guess Scorpia could include Imp!!). These are the figures I've waited 25 years for so whilst I love Adora to absolute pieces, it's these pair (and Octavia who doesn't need newly designed weapons!) who will confirm my faith in Mattel and Toyguru.

I'm a cartoon fan first and foremost and it's the Filmation cartoon that encouraged me to buy MOTUC. So even after all those years of rights-issues, Mattel are still getting my money because of Lou Scheimer and co. Go figure.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

I really love the idea of hybris, taking elements from all other sources and distilling them into Pure Awesomeness, as with Bow. I like both designs for all of them, and welcome added detail to Filmation styled designs.

On Casta, I actually prefer her toy-colors, but would happily buy both versions, as with many others...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think it should be a case by case basis.

Castaspella should probably look more like Filmation, as we never had that version, BUT she should certainly come with the Golden Hypnosis Wheel as an accessory... just keep it gold and add blue "fire" to the design, to keep with her blue Filmation theme.

She must come with another accessory too (NOT A COMB-Weapon... after Catra's whip, I'm done with those). That should be golden too. In Casta's case, a nice Filmation base with some hyper golden detailing would be great.

Glimmer: Again, I think she should definitely have the Filmation head (maybe 2 heads, like Bow, since the Filmatiom head is different from the toy head). I'd like her costume to be more like the MOTUC Bow's: more detailed than Filmation... her Filmation costume was REALLY plain Incorporating more of the shiny/metallic paint scheme (as seen in the vintage toy) would be cool, especially since her magic is light-based. She also HAS to come with glow in the dark headdress/tiara & Staff.

Catra I don't mind seeing as almost purely Filmation, as long as we get a vintage toy version too.

Frosta looks basically the same in both toy and Filmation... but I like the mini-comic version of her cape the best.
    I defo want the Filmation Castaspella with the hypno spinning disk with blue in it. As her other two accessories I would like to see her sheild, but instead of a comb weapon I would like a staff that has the shape of Mysticore castle at the top, much like Scare Glow's Castle Grayskull key holder.

I personally think that Mattel can combine the Filmation/Style Guide and classic toy designs very well if they choose to. Emiliano's designs clearly show how well it can work. Almost all of the Filmation designs have bare boots and arm gauntlets, I think taking the classic toy boot and arm gauntlets designs and working them into the style guide design would work really well, with neither design having to be comprimised. This would also give the POP characters the more ornate look a number of MOTUC fans feel that they lack.

At my heart I am a Filmation kid, but the classics have brought out a nostalaga in me that I didn't know I had for the classic POP toys. Bow is wearing his classic toy head, She-Ra is using her gold sword, even though I have a silver one available, I actually love her mask and have christened that version of She-Ra Battle armour She-Ra. Finally, I can't get over how cool MOTUC Catra looks in her classic toy silver mask. These I love these hybred looks for She-Ra and Catra. It's something new for the classics line and as much as I thought I would not like a hybred look when the line was anounced I really have been converted.

I am totally looking foward to the next version of She-Ra, I had forgotten how much I loved her classic toy when I was a kid, even though I was sad that she wasn't the Filmation version. That toy had some serious play time with my other figures and Castle Grayskull as a kid and I can't wait to have a figure of her. I hope they aso make her classic gold toy sword with a clear/ white gen instead of blue. Hopefuly we will also get Star Burst She-Ra, classic Catra and even Scratching Sound Catra!
    Last edited by Angel-T; March 22, 2011 at 06:54pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

As FILMation as they can get.
    Good Journey

I definitely think the Filmation designed figures need more detail.
    Love it or hate it, fact is Filmation had very simple charcater designs, so they could be easier to animate.
    Action figures don't need that sort of simplicity.
    She-Ra could definitely use more detailed wristbands and boots, rather than what we got.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

The "disks" Castaspella has in the style guide are seen in the episode, "Prisoners of Beast Island." Casta detaches them from her bracelets, holds them like an amulet, and fires stun beams from them.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

How "Filmation" Should the Designs Get?

Varying, and based on MY personal preferences.

The Sweet Bee design, for example, is good in any of three ways. But perhaps they should use her to test the "classic" appearance and go with the toy variant.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    ...How tied are you guys to a figure being 100% Filmation accurate?...

....Should all Filmation designs remain untouched? Should vintage toy elements get more (or less) of a nod? Should it ONLY be based on the vintage toys?....

...As an example, let's take any lady. We'll use Castaspella. I think most fans would keep the Filmation hairstyles as it makes them more unique, but her costume is plenty different from toy to toon. What direction would you prefer they take her (or any Filmation character)? Should she be in her ornate toy look? In style guide colors? Should she be a strict Filmation design? Wheel on her back? Cape? Both/Interchangeable?...
    Good questions, Agostinho.

I am not that tied to figures being 100% FIlmation accurate or MYP accurate.

Filmation designs should be touched. There is beauty in simplicty, but there is room to add cool details to armors, faces, and accessories too. Designs should rely heavily on the vintage toys, but not entirely. i.e. in my opinion, King Randor's sword and staff are way better than the spear.

I like Casta's original toy design over her style guide design. I will be happy with either as long as she is designed and implemented well. A glittery-shiny-spinning something(wrist attachment vs back attachment?) would be great. I don't think it would be smart to put a spining disk on her MOTUC back, from a design/she has mega-hair standpoint.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    As much as I love Filmation, it's kind of a moot point with me. With ToyGuru basing the bios on mini-comics & MYP and the Four Horsemen throwing in 2002 elements or their own little touches, it's never going to be perfect imo. Trust me, if they had a line based on Filmation tomorrow, I'd drop MOTUC in 2 seconds..
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

IF MOTUC was based purely on the Filmation cartoon, I would be in heaven. For me, there would be no other toyline that could compare.
    DESPERATELY need ThunderCats Minimates series one!!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!