Thread: Dipping my toe into the pool....

Hybrid View

Dipping my toe into the pool....

Hello all,

I've decided to watch two episodes of NA for the first time. I'd seen the intro sequence online and been really turned off, but out of curiosity have decided to give it a fair chance.

My two episodes of choice are the pilot, "A New Beginning", and "Once Upon A Time", since it features Teela's return.

God help me

It gets better in later episodes. Some are absolutely brutal. I honestly only made it to season 2 because my son got into it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    That would be difficult given that there's only one season.

Master of New Adventures!
    One season of sixty-five episodes, I'll point out. As a Saturday morning show is comprised of thirteen episodes in a season, those 65 episodes are equivalent to five seasons of a Saturday morning series. Perhaps he was speaking of it in this regard...or perhaps he just meant Volume 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post

Oh boy...

So I made it through those two episodes. And boy, oh boy...does this show suck. And I don't say that lightly, having seen plenty of lousy animations in my time.

Flipshot and Hydron seemed like decent characters, but didn't blend at all with anything around them. What was with all the people dressed like characters from the bible?? Have any of the creators or crew ever explained why they designed the show to look like something from the bible? I'm at a complete loss there.

The old wise man was creepy. Skeletor was...just not Skeletor. It was nice to see Snake Mountain and his old throne again, but he was too much of a trickster to be frightening or interesting.

The Sorceress just seemed to order He-Man to go off to the future with little regard for his existing life. There had to be better ways to get He-Man moved into space...what was the story in the mini-comics that came with the figures?

The mutants were even less memorable than the worst of the Filmation villains crew.

The animation might be more elaborate, but the designs stink so there's not much credit we can give them there.

...it's pretty mind boggling that they even put this thing on the air. It goes to show how much effort the Filmation people put into their work, versus this thing. Yipes!

I remember the toys looking interesting/decent, so I can understand why there are still NA fans at all. But fans of this show? That's...pretty hard to imagine.

May we never get a Mara figure (what a dullard!)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Flipshot and Hydron seemed like decent characters, but didn't blend at all with anything around them. What was with all the people dressed like characters from the bible?? Have any of the creators or crew ever explained why they designed the show to look like something from the bible? I'm at a complete loss there.
    They did, actually. The guy behind the show goes (used to go?) on this board a lot, and he stated that Primus is supposed to represent Heaven. I can't say much about the rest of this topic, I just wanted to point that out.
    Ach! Hans, run! It's the lhurgoyf!

The old wise man was creepy.
    Actually, I think Master Sebrian is one of the worst mentors in MOTU history. He whines whenever he doesn't get his way, constantly relies on a psychic shield so broken I'm surprised it doesn't run on Windows 98, treats Adam like a moron whilst trusting two random kids who do nothing except complain and/or get captured, tries to sound wise when he speaks in pretentious gibberish, and is the first person to say 'Primus is Doomed' when the chips are down. Putting it bluntly, he sucks. Plus, don't even get me started on how the show has too many comic relief characters [like the Four Scientists, Caz, Flipshot or Gleep] who are mainly inconsequential to most of the series and come off as incredibly annoying, even in a series so non-offensive and safe that the writers will try to cram these irritating characters into any scene that's more violent than eating a Graham cracker. Even the Filmation series had bigger balls than this show, because they at least tried to show-gasp-more complex themes than 'Primus is doomed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    ...or perhaps he just meant Volume 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Mr. Olesker is correct.

I'd like to add that while I'm not the biggest fan of the series due to the silliness of the scientists, I enjoy it equally as much as the Filmation series which I find just as silly. In fact, I find the NA animation to be superior to the rehashed rotoscoped frames of Filmation. I also appreciate many of the characters and designs and welcome their inclusion in MOTUC.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    I am glad to hear that others enjoy the few likeable aspects of the show, that also entertain me. That said, the original package artwork, minicomics 1- 3 and the character concepts therein are the only real attractive features I've been able to find about NA.
    That is, until the 4H started to produce them...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Hello all,

I've decided to watch two episodes of NA for the first time. I'd seen the intro sequence online and been really turned off, but out of curiosity have decided to give it a fair chance.

My two episodes of choice are the pilot, "A New Beginning", and "Once Upon A Time", since it features Teela's return.

God help me
    There were far better episodes you could have chosen, and for what its worth sampling just 2 episodes and condemning a whole series is beyond unfair. There are some really crappy Filmation and MYP episodes as well to go with the awesome ones...food for thought

I am not saying you have to love it (many people don't) but seriously out of 93 episodes I could name 5 She-Ra ones that stink but that series is incredible as a whole.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I couldn't get into this no matter how hard I tried.

Hello all,

God help me
    From experience, I have to say you gotta give it more of a chance. I started a thread a while ago talking about my NA experience. Its hard adjusting from the original masters, but once you get into it, its enjoyable. I've come you really like NA. I really enjoy the figures too, and I really disliked them for the longest time. Its also nice to be able to pick Jack's brain about the show. I say give it a shot and you'll come across some really great episodes like "Four Ways to Sundown". Here's my thread. Perhaps it'll give you the little push you watch more of the show.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ventures-again!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    It has become a bit of a cliche, but the New Adventures of He-Man really is the most underrated part of MOTU's rich history.

The first volume of The New Adventures of He-Man features some of the best stories in the series - including the arrival of He-Man on the planet Primus, Prince Adam's heartfelt goodbye to his Mother and Father (the Queen and King of Eternia, respectfully) and of course, the introduction of many new allies and enemies. The animation has it's ups and downs, but generally it remains consistently good. We already know this is NOT the Filmation show, rather it is more similar to early '90's Japanese-influenced animation.

Although the character designs and animation style differ drastically from that of the original He-Man tales, don't look past this integral series. It would be a huge disservice to any fan to miss this epic part of He-Man's history. I recommend the show to any fan of He-Man, or just fans of old-school sci-fi animation.

I've argued this before, but New Adventures is the canonical continuation of He-Man's adventures on Eternia. Like it or not, NA is the natural, official, progression of what transpires in Adam's life. There is a lot to like if you give it the time.

And I have to agree with markatisu, two episodes (although I do like the one's you've chosen) are not enough to get into the series. Keep watching!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

For what is worth, I enjoyed much more watching NA rather than filmation motu. In fact I could not go through more than 3 filmation episodes ... It was terribly dull and repetitive

Na on the other hand was quite refreshing .
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I get why you're known as Arkangel. You're certainly mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    For what is worth, I enjoyed much more watching NA rather than filmation motu. In fact I could not go through more than 3 filmation episodes ... It was terribly dull and repetitive

Na on the other hand was quite refreshing .

Heroic Warrior
    i never even heard of it til a few years ago. i tried watching it, but i just couldnt do it. but when motuc came out with optic and icarius, i really enjoyed those characters. i think they were pretty sick in toy form. oh, and slush head was cool too. that is pretty much all i can say about this topic. again, i never knew this line or cartoon existed. much like the gi joe cartoon that came out after the original. i never knew a lick about the cartoon, but had lots of the toys though, and were actually some of my most favorite. i tried watching that cartoon a few years ago after finding out about it, but i couldnt do it. it just wasnt the same to what i was used to...

In fact I could not go through more than 3 filmation episodes ... It was terribly dull and repetitive
    I can't disagree with you there - the He-Man show has never been especially stimulating to me either, but the designs and music bring it together in a semi-satisfying way.

I hope you don't feel like I've been dismissive of the series, Mr. Olesker. I'm sure it was quite a challenge to put together, and again, it obviously has its fans.

Why would you hope I don't feel like you're being dismissive of the series when that's precisely what you're being? Perhaps a larger question is why you think I would care about your being dismissive. Any writer that would be angry that someone is dismissive of their writing, imo, has no business being a writer. There's nothing inherently wrong with being dismissive so long as it's done in a civil and respectful way, as you certainly have done. It seems to me that the very idea that a writer would expect universal adulation for their work is the height of egotism.

Different viewers have different likes and dislikes and tastes. No writer can appeal to everyone, and everyone has a right to their opinion.

I can't disagree with you there - the He-Man show has never been especially stimulating to me either, but the designs and music bring it together in a semi-satisfying way.

I hope you don't feel like I've been dismissive of the series, Mr. Olesker. I'm sure it was quite a challenge to put together, and again, it obviously has its fans.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Yeah, NA is bad. I managed to get through it all. I think it got less bad further along.
    Yes the toys were awful & the cartoon was really bad, the comics are alright.
    But NA has great potential for a modern makeover on story & new figures. I have good faith in it.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I started a similar thread a year or two ago after only watching a few episodes. Now I have gone through the entire series and I absolutely love it. It's really something that you need to give a fair chance. I can only speak for myself but it certainly grew on me and once I got to the multi-episode arc about the Guardians having to go into hiding I felt the show really hit it's stride. I only wish that there had been more references and guest appearances from Eternia (and Etheria) but I know that this was planned had the show continued. If only it had been She-Ra in Once Upon a Time instead of Teela I would have been super excited. It's still a fun episode but that Teela is FAR too nice
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!