Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dipping my toe into the pool....

Heroic Warrior
    i never even heard of it til a few years ago. i tried watching it, but i just couldnt do it. but when motuc came out with optic and icarius, i really enjoyed those characters. i think they were pretty sick in toy form. oh, and slush head was cool too. that is pretty much all i can say about this topic. again, i never knew this line or cartoon existed. much like the gi joe cartoon that came out after the original. i never knew a lick about the cartoon, but had lots of the toys though, and were actually some of my most favorite. i tried watching that cartoon a few years ago after finding out about it, but i couldnt do it. it just wasnt the same to what i was used to...

In fact I could not go through more than 3 filmation episodes ... It was terribly dull and repetitive
    I can't disagree with you there - the He-Man show has never been especially stimulating to me either, but the designs and music bring it together in a semi-satisfying way.

I hope you don't feel like I've been dismissive of the series, Mr. Olesker. I'm sure it was quite a challenge to put together, and again, it obviously has its fans.

Master of New Adventures!
    Why would you hope I don't feel like you're being dismissive of the series when that's precisely what you're being? Perhaps a larger question is why you think I would care about your being dismissive. Any writer that would be angry that someone is dismissive of their writing, imo, has no business being a writer. There's nothing inherently wrong with being dismissive so long as it's done in a civil and respectful way, as you certainly have done. It seems to me that the very idea that a writer would expect universal adulation for their work is the height of egotism.

Different viewers have different likes and dislikes and tastes. No writer can appeal to everyone, and everyone has a right to their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I can't disagree with you there - the He-Man show has never been especially stimulating to me either, but the designs and music bring it together in a semi-satisfying way.

I hope you don't feel like I've been dismissive of the series, Mr. Olesker. I'm sure it was quite a challenge to put together, and again, it obviously has its fans.

I guess I set myself up for failure here - my first comments on the show were harsh, probably the most harsh things I've written here at the boards, and no doubt due in part to my mood on that day as I usually have more of a filter...and they've made it seem like I went into watching further episodes of the show with a strong bias against it. Which wasn't the case. But I suppose now I can't really convince anyone of that because of how I came off with my first comments.

Which is a shame - I did give it a shot. I'm really not dismissing it. I'm just not into it. But I'm glad you won't find that an offence And of course I bear no ill will to fans of the series.

Enjoy Hydron when he's released in the MOTUC line!

Master of New Adventures!
    Don't be so tough on yourself. I'm not offended. I like strong critics. It shows passion.

I'm confident in the next couple of year I'll come up with something you like.

I guess I set myself up for failure here - my first comments on the show were harsh, probably the most harsh things I've written here at the boards, and no doubt due in part to my mood on that day as I usually have more of a filter...and they've made it seem like I went into watching further episodes of the show with a strong bias against it. Which wasn't the case. But I suppose now I can't really convince anyone of that because of how I came off with my first comments.

Which is a shame - I did give it a shot. I'm really not dismissing it. I'm just not into it. But I'm glad you won't find that an offence And of course I bear no ill will to fans of the series.

Enjoy Hydron when he's released in the MOTUC line!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Yeah, NA is bad. I managed to get through it all. I think it got less bad further along.
    Yes the toys were awful & the cartoon was really bad, the comics are alright.
    But NA has great potential for a modern makeover on story & new figures. I have good faith in it.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I started a similar thread a year or two ago after only watching a few episodes. Now I have gone through the entire series and I absolutely love it. It's really something that you need to give a fair chance. I can only speak for myself but it certainly grew on me and once I got to the multi-episode arc about the Guardians having to go into hiding I felt the show really hit it's stride. I only wish that there had been more references and guest appearances from Eternia (and Etheria) but I know that this was planned had the show continued. If only it had been She-Ra in Once Upon a Time instead of Teela I would have been super excited. It's still a fun episode but that Teela is FAR too nice
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

The old wise man was creepy.
    Actually, I think Master Sebrian is one of the worst mentors in MOTU history. He whines whenever he doesn't get his way, constantly relies on a psychic shield so broken I'm surprised it doesn't run on Windows 98, treats Adam like a moron whilst trusting two random kids who do nothing except complain and/or get captured, tries to sound wise when he speaks in pretentious gibberish, and is the first person to say 'Primus is Doomed' when the chips are down. Putting it bluntly, he sucks. Plus, don't even get me started on how the show has too many comic relief characters [like the Four Scientists, Caz, Flipshot or Gleep] who are mainly inconsequential to most of the series and come off as incredibly annoying, even in a series so non-offensive and safe that the writers will try to cram these irritating characters into any scene that's more violent than eating a Graham cracker. Even the Filmation series had bigger balls than this show, because they at least tried to show-gasp-more complex themes than 'Primus is doomed'.