Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did 2002 He-man fail?

Heroic Warrior

Why did 2002 He-man fail?

I was a fan of 2002 fan of He-Man and grew up in the 80's with the original what does anyone think was the reason the 2002 cartoon failed. I personally thought it was superior to the original its just a shame She-Ra or She-Ra related cast never made it into the new version.

Because even though the 2002 MYP Toon was an EMMY AWARD WINNING they canceled the show because of the line's downfall....go figure....

Quote Originally Posted by dwanyewest View Post
    I was a fan of 2002 fan of He-Man and grew up in the 80's with the original what does anyone think was the reason the 2002 cartoon failed. I personally thought it was superior to the original its just a shame She-Ra or She-Ra related cast never made it into the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Because even though the 2002 MYP Toon was an EMMY AWARD WINNING they canceled the show because of the line's downfall....go figure....
    That Emmy thing gets thrown around a bit more than it deserves - and yeah we were as guilty of it as anyone.

It is true that the show won an Emmy.

It is also true that it was a daytime Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    That Emmy thing gets thrown around a bit more than it deserves - and yeah we were as guilty of it as anyone.

It is also true that it was a daytime Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing
    i know, it's wrong,but, bwaahahahaha,jk i didnt know that? pretty cool though!

Personal opinion, it failed for 2 reasons:

1. The toyline was failing due to mismanagement (however many he-man and skeletor variant per any other figure)

2. Inconsistant airing policies on Cartoon Network.

For me two caused.

- The toyline who failed

- the design of cartoon more distant of original Filmation

Wish I knew. Or maybe not, I have this terrible feeling that I wouldn't like the truth: that no one who matters likes this stuff anymore. What shows like it are still on? Nothing I love stays on TV anymore. I think Clone Wars is going to get cancelled if I like it too much. Oh to be 18 to 30 again!
    Last edited by gbagok; October 9, 2009 at 10:25pm.

Whatever but it got NOTICED and it was popular enough to continue too bad cartoon network screwed that up...

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post

The main reason was the the production of too many (e often stupid) He-Man and Skeletor variants.
    The show was very good instead.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Not enough nudity.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    2002 failed because Mattel didn't dole out the figures in a more paced, organized manner.

It was 2006 (through eBay) before I was able to track down figures such as Teela, Evil Lyn, Roboto and King Hsss. Others like Man-E-Faces and Ram Man were never available to me except as repaints.

Mattel choked us with He-Man and Skeletor figures (and not even the originals) and made it nearly impossible to find other key figures from the mythos.

The cartoon was outstanding, as was the comic.

Mattel failed, Masters of the Universe did NOT!

-
    Last edited by Larry Waters; October 10, 2009 at 08:56am.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

still makes me sad they never finished it.

Heck the 80s Turtles are still getting another movie crossing over with the modern one.

Why can't he-man get a straight to dvd ending
    Last edited by Coptur; October 10, 2009 at 06:35pm.

The reasons I think failed are many.

1) The design of the toys themselves. I was caught up in the hype of this new incarnation just as much as anyone, but the toys we were presented with weren't the original idea the 4H had in mind. They were told to go more angular and anime looking. This alienated a lot of folks, because the toys were too far removed from the original designs to be nostalgic. I think the new MOTUC are actually a little closer to what the 4H originally had in mind.

2) Video games. Among children and teens, video games have long since replaced action figures and comic books as the primary source of entertainment. I rarely see kids in the toy aisles or comic shops anymore, it's usually adult collectors. There are of course exceptionsl, but even in 2002, the new line was marketed to an audience that had already moved on to other things, despite the anime stylings which were supposed to draw kids in.

3) Availability and distribution. For those children and adult collectors who did like the series and it's toys, finding those toys was nearly impossible. I remember specifically driving from Erie, PA all the way to Cleveland, OH one weekend looking for Mer-man. I eventually found him, but the time and gas spent certainly wasn't worth it. I wasn't even on Ebay yet, so I had little choice but to go hunting. Trip after trip of coming home empty handed turned me sour on the whole line really quick.

4) Repaints and variants.. When I was lucky enough to finally find some of the characters I wanted, they were done in bizarre colors that were sometimes totally inappropriate for the character, other times beyond ridiculous. Who exactly did Mattel think was going to buy Disco Skeletor? We may never know. Re-releasing the original versions of early characters people had missed would have been much, much smarter. MOTUC seems to have gotten this right.

If we're just talking about the cartoon I don't know if I'd say it failed. Being released on DVD, this active community and even things like the power sword appearing in MOTUC toyline say it did ok. It's not like we're all on this board talking about Widget World Watcher (hmmm though that cartoon did run for more years).

But overly I agree as other people have said: poorly managed toyline and people making the bottom line decision probably seeing it as a less profitable money stream then whatever replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by dwanyewest View Post
    I'M WITH YOU
    but as someone has just said MATTEL FAILED NOT MOTU
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    1. A string of ridiculous He-man and Skeletor variants flooded the shelves. Unique characters were consistently short packed. Mattel denied there were issues with this and refused to change case ratios until it was too late.

2. Distribution of figures was inconsisent. In some areas Teela was an absolute pegwarmer. In others you would think she was the rarest figure in the line. I've personally never seen an original Ram Man figure in person, but from what I heard he was fairly common in other places.

3. Cartoon Network and Mattel mismanaged the cartoon. CN constantly changed the shows air time putting it into increasingly bizarre time slots. Mattel wouldn't take the necessary steps to ensure the show and the toyline were promoted properly.

I didn't think the toys were very kid friendly. The toys seemed more like collectibles than something a kid would play with.

I personally think that the line died because kids (especially boys) aren't that interested in toys these days. Action figures are becoming more and more collector items. Looking back at things, I think that all those meaningless variants were one desperate attempt to keep kids interested (because research showed kids love the main guys). It didn't work but I don't think the line would have survived even without the variants. Kids just were not interested, and collectors alone do not keep a mass retail toyline alive.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    1.)Bad/inconsistent time slot on Cartoon Network
    2.)Not enough advertising
    3.)TERRIBLE toy distribution
    Wabawalawoo!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    Personal opinion, it failed for 2 reasons:

1. The toyline was failing due to mismanagement (however many he-man and skeletor variant per any other figure)

2. Inconsistant airing policies on Cartoon Network.
    I agree.

My kids love the show and the tune... and they love toys period. I think as parents it may be easier to buy kids a video game, cuz there are no pieces to clean up and you can keep your kid occupied for hours on end. As a parent I prefer my kids play with toys... yeah they can make a mess, but at least they can be creative. As stated, I think if the show had a consistent time slot, and Mattel had half a clue, we would have at least gotten the second half of season 2 if not a season 3. But now the classics are better figures, we need a new show tho!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Masters Chronicles Host! Vinto-Man's Avatar
    i liked the 2002 line but thought it had way to many re-paints. i dont need a different version of ram-man or tri-klops. I know why it failed and its because of these words

DISCO SKELETOR!

ok maybe not but the case ratios were awful. i never actually saw a teela anywhere here in Northern Ireland. Shame it ended so early both the red/green carded figures and the stactions
    Masters of the Universe Chronicles Podcast!

To listen to any show click here

To join the facebook page click here

To subscribe via Itunes click here

Heroic Warrior

I dunno what its like in the States

I agree one thing this forum has stated on this subject is that kids don't really play with action figures anymore. I wish Mattel had invested more money in the video games based on He-Man as the games were dire, thats what kids play with now Xbox's and Playstation now.

I remember once reading on this site that according to Mattel the ratings were pretty good abroad for the show. I am from the UK and really loved the show on ITV so if the toon but not the toy was doing well especially abroad the would surely be enough if its doing well in foreign markets?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Mattel failed, Masters of the Universe did NOT!

-
    WISDOM!!!!

Cartoon Network's constant schedule jockeying certainly didn't help either.

Everything about the Relaunch (Toys, Comic, Toon, Merch, etc.) was brilliant but ultimately mismanagement ruled/ruined the day.

Personally, I feel that Modern MOTU would have flourished had it continued under the current MOTUC Business Model but I guess we'll never know.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Well for me, I guess it was mainly when they introduced the Snakemen in season 2, because it was then that I began to lose interest. I was like yeah, it was cool that some Snakemen finally got some screen time like King Hiss, Snake Face and Squeeeeze that never made it into the original series, but that "never before" factor wore off pretty quick and soon I longed to have 'ol bonehead and his crew back in the limelight. Also the quality of the animation seemed to decline, along with the storyline. but yes the failing toy line had probably as much to do with it's ultimate cancellation.
    – No comment.