Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like Filmation better :(

Heroic Warrior

I like Filmation better :(

I can't get into the MYP Productions He-man.

I like Filmation's He-man and She-ra.

Filmation's vision of the characters is better to me.

Also, the artwork, drawing, ideas, concepts, and writing were more compelling and attractive.

The special effects of He-man and She-ra's transformation sequences blow MYP out of the water.

The Filmation cartoons had more heart, creativity, and emotion.

Filmation's Sorceress was hotter than MYP's Sorceress.

And you're free to feel that way! There's something for everyone in this franchise.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

funny

I can't get into the Filmation He-man.

I like MYP's He-man (there is no MYP She-Ra...thank the flying spaghetti monster)

MYP's vision of the characters is better to me.

Also, the artwork, drawing, ideas, concepts, and writing were more compelling and attractive.

The special effects of He-man's transformation sequences blow Filmation out of the water.

The MYP cartoons had more heart, creativity, and emotion.

As for which Sorceress is hotter... I don't really care nor can I say. They are just pics so they are both equally NOT hot

OH and yes I do mean ALL of that, I am not just being argumentative.

MYP was far superior to Filmation for me
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    I love them both! I grew up with the vintage series, then it went away for a while. Then I seen the commemorative series that lead to me finding out about the MYP (200X) series. My favorite episode is "The Power of Grayskull" for multiple reasons-> King Grayskull, Snake Armor King Grayskull, Battle Lion, Veena, Hordak, and Snake Armor He-Man. My favorite action figures from the series is Snake Armor He-Man, and the "Blood Red" variant of Skeletor. That's why I love 200X as much as the Original. It is such an awesome series. The art style is original, and fresh.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    200X is better than Filmation in EVERY way apart from music.

The 200X music was pretty much non existant and instantly forgettable.

I like MYP because of the pacing and action. Some of the character development is pretty cool. Don't like the designs for the most part, but there's some good story telling there.

Still prefer Filmation, though.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

The only thing I liked better about Filmation was the transformation sequence. All other elements were more cheesy and childish IMO. The characters were very one dimensional with the exception of a few. The myp series was a lot more mature and it took its audience and characters a lot more serious. Also the fact that there was a story arc that spanned more then one episode is much better then anything Filmation did IMO. I do wish though that they would have stayed closer to the horsemen designs. A prime example is whiplash which looks way better as a figure then as his animated counterpart.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I highly prefer FILMation over MYP.

The music and background art of FILMation are so well done and unique and there really is no comparison when it comes to the transformation sequence.

MYP was slightly more of a mature story line and aimed at an older target audience than FILMation was. I enjoyed the ongoing story line of MYP and enjoyed that new MOTU adventures were being told. For me, the biggest problems with MYP were the redesigns and some of the story lines that blatantly changed the mythos. Like King Grayskull being the source of the power of Grayskull, Marlena not being from Earth, etc.

Much like the new DC comics, while not a fan of everything about MYP, I enjoyed it for what it was, new MOTU stories.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Everybody has different tastes. Yes Filmation did set the grounds of how most of us feel MOTU should be portrayed depite their limitations because of how the censors were back then. I really did love MYP's story arcs, tight continuuity and fleshing out both the heroes and the villains whilst Filmation had a tendency to be episodic and focusing more on one-off characters than those that were on toy shelves at the time. Come to think of it, that's how 80s cartoons were.
    Last edited by Akai; August 26, 2013 at 01:40pm.

Glad you like Filmation as it has its charms but I find the excessively reused animation sequences, the lack of emotional expression on the character's faces, and the preachy storytelling to be pretty awful.

In my assessment, MYP is far superior in both animation and storytelling.

But honestly, I find the characterizations and stories in the original mini-comics to be more interesting and inspiring.

I find both Sorceress' equally "hot" but the British accent does give the Filmation version an edge. But I'll take the Goddess over both of them.

MYP had better storytelling but the redesigns were terrible and the toys made everyone hideous deformed hunchbacks. So yeah, for everything else FILMATION was better.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    MYP had better storytelling but the redesigns were terrible and the toys made everyone hideous deformed hunchbacks. So yeah, for everything else FILMATION was better.
    The only hunchback in the line was He-Man and they fixed that with the staction.

Edit: oh and skeletor, but it fits his design IMO.

Heroic Warrior
    Everything about Filmation blows MYP out of the water. The stories, the art, the music, the characterization, the voice acting-everything was better. MYP had a lot of the typical clichéd things that we've seen in action/adventure toons over the last twenty or so years. There were a few decent episodes, but overall I was very disappointed with MYP. I actually enjoy the Filmation toons more now than I did when I was a kid. Filmation had a lot more heart to it, in my opinion.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    Everything about Filmation blows MYP out of the water. The stories, the art, the music, the characterization, the voice acting-everything was better. MYP had a lot of the typical clichéd things that we've seen in action/adventure toons over the last twenty or so years. There were a few decent episodes, but overall I was very disappointed with MYP. I actually enjoy the Filmation toons more now than I did when I was a kid. Filmation had a lot more heart to it, in my opinion.
    To each his own.. I grew up with Filmation and it's what got me into Masters of the Universe but man, was I disapointed when I saw the episodes again when the dvd's came out. I only like it out of sentimental reasons. I saw the Brave Star movie the other day and that's proof of what Filmation could have done. Mature story telling, good effects and less stock footage. Too bad they didn't do that with He-Man.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I love FILMation but MYP was a superior program.

Heroic Warrior
    Although I played with the filmation toys growing up due to my brother watching the show I loved the 200x show and look of the figures a little better.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation had Adora and She-ra. That automatically puts it above MYP.

You can't create a more gorgeous incarnation of a character.

She was the best!

Heroic Warrior
    200X Evil Lyn is hotter, cartoon wise.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    Filmation had Adora and She-ra. That automatically puts it above MYP.

You can't create a more gorgeous incarnation of a character.

She was the best!
    No part of the topic but you are forgetting about Jessica Rabbit.

Heroic Warrior
    I also prefer Filmation's artistic style and animation over MYP.

I do still love MYP though. It was cool for story continuity and of course giving us the coolest MOTU character EVER- Zodak.

Filmation women are probably the hottest in all animation.

The cool thing about MYP is that you can get through the series in just a couple of days.
    Takes weeks to go through all the Filmation episodes.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    Everyone has their preferences and I can respect that but when you say the the writing was more compelling, that is just pure fantasy. Other than the 2 part Shokoti episodes, every episode was stand alone with no origin story or story arc of any kind. Continuity was nonexistent in the Filmation He-Man cartoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post

Again, to each their own but the stories and the voice acting? What stories? Over 130 episodes of He-Man and all of them stand alone episodes(Shokoti 2 part excluded) with ZERO continuity or carry over. You could miss the first 20, 30, 40, or 100 episodes of the series and jump right into it without having missed anything important from a story aspect. How is that possible? Because there was no story.

As for the voice acting, it worked when I was little but Lou Scheimer was about 70% of the voices and he isn't Frank Welker so it quickly becomes obvious(painfully so) that the voice acting was bad because Filmation was cheap.

I prefer the Filmation interpretation of Eternia because the world looks alien. I also prefer the transformation sequence and music but NO WAY did Filmation beat MYP in story telling or voice acting.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Everyone has their preferences and I can respect that but when you say the the writing was more compelling, that is just pure fantasy. Other than the 2 part Shokoti episodes, every episode was stand alone with no origin story or story arc of any kind. Continuity was nonexistent in the Filmation He-Man cartoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, to each their own but the stories and the voice acting? What stories? Over 130 episodes of He-Man and all of them stand alone episodes(Shokoti 2 part excluded) with ZERO continuity or carry over. You could miss the first 20, 30, 40, or 100 episodes of the series and jump right into it without having missed anything important from a story aspect. How is that possible? Because there was no story.

As for the voice acting, it worked when I was little but Lou Scheimer was about 70% of the voices and he isn't Frank Welker so it quickly becomes obvious(painfully so) that the voice acting was bad because Filmation was cheap.

I prefer the Filmation interpretation of Eternia because the world looks alien. I also prefer the transformation sequence and music but NO WAY did Filmation beat MYP in story telling or voice acting.
    As you said, to each their own. I will disagree that there was no continuity. There were numerous episodes that referenced previous episodes. There was very little that contradicted things that happened before.

As for the MYP voice acting, it was so over the top to the point that I'd rather just watch the show with the mute button on. I'd rather hear Lou Scheimer do 70% of the voices than hear anyone from the MYP show. Filmation wasn't cheap, per se; it knew how to produce a quality product at the most efficient possible level. Plus, it provided a lot of people with steady work.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Quote Originally Posted by DDKNB View Post
    200X Evil Lyn is hotter, cartoon wise.
    Really? She looks kind of old in the MYP series, particularly during certain shots. And the costume is much less attractively colored and lacks a cape. She also has sickly grey skin, which is better than the yellow in the vintage figure, but worse than the Filmation depiction.

I thought all the women in the MYP series looked much worse than their Filmation concepts.
    WTB:
    Loose: Palace Guards, Snake Men, Horde Troopers, Keldor Cape, Marlena Rifle, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

The Filmation cartoons will always be what I hold as my He-Man and She-ra. I did also enjoy the MYP cartoon. I do feel some of the designs were over baked and the action could be a bit too anime for my taste. I liked elements from both stories. Media wise it's the original mini comics that I'm not a fan of, the story and characterizations, it's not He-Man without Prince Adam.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"