Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I like Filmation better :(

I won't deny that MYP had the edge in the story and characterisation department, but at the same time, I felt that Filmation did a more compelling interpretation of Eternia as a setting. The landscapes are stronger and more interesting to look at, and I actually think the episodic nature worked for it, since it allowed the series to introduce new ideas, settings, and characters. It made Eternia feel bigger and more realistic. By contrast, I felt that MYP drew everything together a little too much, and it lost that sense of freedom and potential. It's the same principle as why I like The Hobbit better than Lord of the Rings - Tolkien hadn't set everything about his setting in stone at that point, and it feels bigger that way because there are just some things that don't seem to be connected with anything else (like Beorn or the giants), creating a greater sense of mystery. I also felt that MYP's character designs were trying too hard and just looked cluttered, although there were some changes I liked. Ideally, the perfect MOTU show for me would take the MYP series' approach to storytelling and characterisation but keep the Filmation setting and character design, as well as allowing for some episodic stories once in a while to explore different parts of Eternia that we otherwise wouldn't if it stuck too closely to a linear plot.
    Ach! Hans, run! It's the lhurgoyf!

Filmation He-Man/She-Ra was cool and it has a lot of cool characters but it seems dated and unbelievable to me as and adult (Still like it though)

But for a more "real" version MYP MOTU was better

See in Filmation the good guys always won and no one died and everyone agreed that they were doing wrong and saw the errors of their ways (Except Skeletor and the Evil Warriors)

Filmation made Skeletor a buffon where as MYP made him as a REAL threat

And Price Adam was a KID not some guy that got a suntan when he changed into He-Man...

Like I said Filmation for it's time was cool and still has a place but seeing it years later as an adult it was one sided not realistic like in MYP And MYP had a lot of cool things that Filmation couldn't (or wouldn't do) like Stinkor,showing Keldor become Skeletor etc.

Funny thing about Stinkor Lou thought that he would be a running fart joke but MYP he was a threat and no joke... And some people will think Filmation was the be all end all over NA & MYP

No.....That would be nostalgia talking....
    Last edited by Megalodon; August 30, 2013 at 03:43pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The Filmation music and choreography captured the audience's emotion and attention.

"The Secret of the Sword" was the greatest continuity story ever.

The first time Adora changes into She-ra, in "She-ra Unchained", was one of the greatest, most joyous moments of my life.

The way all those Filmation characters were drawn was phenomenal. They were the way the characters were meant to look like. To me, they were the incarnation of who those characters were.

The design concepts and background drawings were so innovative. It sucked you in, like you were actually there.

Also, Filmation had Bob Forward and J. Michael Straczynski on top of Larry Ditillio.

And the team of voice actors John Erwin, Melendy Britt, Linda Gary, Alan Oppenheimer, George Dicenzo, Eric Gunden. They were the epitomy of He-man, She-ra, Orko, Skeletor, The Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, Hordak, etc. So much so that anybody who would come after them would be a let-down.

It just goes to show you that Filmation imagination and creativity with cell animation beats computer-generated technology.

Finally, the Filmation females were the best-looking. Adora alone was the most beautiful girl in the universe, inside and out.
    Last edited by dura_grip; August 31, 2013 at 09:59am.

"I disagree, it's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever."

Kidding aside, I grew up with the Filmation cartoon and absolutely loved it. It was probably my favorite cartoon when I was 5. I didn't see the MYP cartoon until a few months ago, and I watched every episode on Netflix. I thought it was very well done and enjoyed it immensely. So there you go, I like them both.

I have no interest in the 200X toys though. I'd love to see them redone to be more like the Classics toys.

first, let me just say that i like them both...but i love the FILMATION show. comparing them feels a lot like comparing a classic model of sports car with it's modern counterpart. the latter has more features, but the former has more personality.

for all of the new and improved that the MYP series brought to the table, i feel like a lot of the personality that filmation brought to he-man was lost. the latter was iconic, and most of the improvements that MYP was able to implement was due to significantly less restrictions (a bigger budget, outsourcing animation, much less restrictions on violence, etc...). an example of this would be skeletor's presence as a credible threat.

the serialized storyline for MYP was great, but was not as inviting to new viewers. MYP tried to be more sophisticated and "mature" with it's stories and characterization. the problem was that they didn't go far enough. filmation made the ridiculous qualities of MOTU seem endearing. MYP often made them look awkward. you've got this sophisticated (for a daytime cartoon) story going on, and then someone exclaims, "Lord Buzz-Off, Fisto needs our help!!"

either embrace the silliness or don't. go all the way sophisticated or don't. having 60% sophisticated and 40% silly just draws attention to the silly in a bad way.

and as far as adam being an obvious kid in the MYP series...i don't count that as an improvement. as far as i'm concerned the power of grayskull is capable of clouding the minds of he-man's friends and family, cutting off their ability to recognize that they are one and the same unless the secret is revealed. they can see it physically, but the spell keeps them from making the connection, mentally. this is a world of magic we're dealing with after all.

the women of filmation were drawn in a much more appealing way as well. for me, sorceress, teela, and evil-lyn were cartoon crushes. the best thing MYP had was anything involving Keldor, or Stinkor...but i hated the snake armor He-Man wore. For all the grief that filmation got for producing a half hour toy commercial, i felt MYP was more blatant in showcasing variant armors and such just to sell figures.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    first, let me just say that i like them both...but i love the FILMATION show. comparing them feels a lot like comparing a classic model of sports car with it's modern counterpart. the latter has more features, but the former has more personality.

for all of the new and improved that the MYP series brought to the table, i feel like a lot of the personality that filmation brought to he-man was lost. the latter was iconic, and most of the improvements that MYP was able to implement was due to significantly less restrictions (a bigger budget, outsourcing animation, much less restrictions on violence, etc...). an example of this would be skeletor's presence as a credible threat.

the serialized storyline for MYP was great, but was not as inviting to new viewers. MYP tried to be more sophisticated and "mature" with it's stories and characterization. the problem was that they didn't go far enough. filmation made the ridiculous qualities of MOTU seem endearing. MYP often made them look awkward. you've got this sophisticated (for a daytime cartoon) story going on, and then someone exclaims, "Lord Buzz-Off, Fisto needs our help!!"

either embrace the silliness or don't. go all the way sophisticated or don't. having 60% sophisticated and 40% silly just draws attention to the silly in a bad way.

and as far as adam being an obvious kid in the MYP series...i don't count that as an improvement. as far as i'm concerned the power of grayskull is capable of clouding the minds of he-man's friends and family, cutting off their ability to recognize that they are one and the same unless the secret is revealed. they can see it physically, but the spell keeps them from making the connection, mentally. this is a world of magic we're dealing with after all.

the women of filmation were drawn in a much more appealing way as well. for me, sorceress, teela, and evil-lyn were cartoon crushes. the best thing MYP had was anything involving Keldor, or Stinkor...but i hated the snake armor He-Man wore. For all the grief that filmation got for producing a half hour toy commercial, i felt MYP was more blatant in showcasing variant armors and such just to sell figures.
    I never once felt that the Filmation shows were toy commercials. With MYP, almost every episode seemed like a toy commercial. Filmation had heart, while MYP was empty.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Filmation made Skeletor a buffon where as MYP made him as a REAL threat
    Yeah, Filmation Skeletor WAS A JOKE! MYP Skeletor was ruthless! Especially when he hunted down Evil-Lyn to kill her for siding with King Hiss. He had no remorse whatsoever. The REAL "Evil Lord of Destruction" in MYP also took on both He-Man and King Randor in a sword fight. Yes, a sword fight in a sword and sorcery based franchise! Who would have guessed?

In Filmation, He-Man and Skeletor did a lot of talking and standing around. One thing they never did, was fight each other with weapons.

And Price Adam was a KID not some guy that got a suntan when he changed into He-Man...
    In Filmation's defense, they originally planned to make Prince Adam look differently but like they did quite often in their interpretation of He-Man, they kept Prince Adam looking exactly like He-Man to save some cash. Better story telling be damned!
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    I never once felt that the Filmation shows were toy commercials. With MYP, almost every episode seemed like a toy commercial. Filmation had heart, while MYP was empty.
    Agreed. But honestly that was one of the things I LIKED about MYP... Filmation SUCKED as a toy commercial. None of the TOYS looked anything LIKE the cartoon. Merman? Clawful? Snake mountain? King Randor? Sorceress? Attack Trak... Wind Raider?? ... none of them translated well to the toys. I spent a LOT of time wondering WHERE the rest of Man at arms armor was for example or why I had to play with a 'battle armor' He-man instead of the 'real' he-man...

It was a TERRIBLE commercial.

MYP however?? There were a LOT of variants floating around in that series and they matched the toys pretty well and gave kids a legitimate REASON to want a 'snake armor' or samurai armor version...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Yeah, Filmation Skeletor WAS A JOKE! MYP Skeletor was ruthless!
    Filmation was only SOMETIMES a joke... or even most times, I'll concede that... but I STILL remember a time where Evil-lyn and XXXXXx was planning a coup with some unstoppable magic spell... and skeletor walks in.

Evil Lynn screams out how she's finally got the power to stop him or something... and blasts him. He holds up his hand and stops the blast cold. And in a chilling voice just says 'I am NOT amused....'

Totally Awesome Skeletor.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lhurgoyf View Post
    Ideally, the perfect MOTU show for me would take the MYP series' approach to storytelling and characterisation but keep the Filmation setting and character design, as well as allowing for some episodic stories once in a while to explore different parts of Eternia that we otherwise wouldn't if it stuck too closely to a linear plot.
    This would be it for me too. Basically, to combine the best of both incarnations into an improved "next step". Although I'd do in a more realistic, less cartoony (and definitely not manga-like) visual style (*), and I'd also add a much more serious approach to world-building (**).

(*) Including a more realistic approach to the non-human species. So that, for example, Andreenids would look thoroughly insectoid rather than "half-humanoid"—meaning they would have insect-like mouths (like pre-metamorphosis Filmation Garth) and wouldn't feature anything resembling a mammalian-like "muscular" build (since arthropods have hard exoskeletons and not visible muscles).

(**) The series bible would include things like detailed astronomies and geographies of the planets, in-depth descriptions of the different species and nations and their particular cultures, histories, etc. And the original version would be spoken in the "native" languages (think Apocalypto or The Passion of the Christ, or to some extent Avatar), not in any "foreign" language like English (except what Marlena might say to herself, or when talking privately to Adam, whom she raised bilingual).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I don't have the nostalgia for Filmation that a lot of forum members do. We just didn't get it on any local channels when I was little so I never got into it. I truthfully find it nearly unwatchable as an adult. I hate just about everything about it. The character designs are bland and often watered down from the toys, the animation (while anatomically sound and beautifully fluid at times) is so limited and heavily repeated it's annoying, the voice acting is awful and hamfisted, the writing is lazy, and the soundtrack is cheesy and completely ill suited to the subject material. It's odd because I know Filmation IS what MOTU is all about to a lot of fans, but to me it has always missed the mark entirely. I see a lot of people talk about how it has "soul" or "heart," but I just can't see it, no matter how I try. It will always seem like a cheap, heartless, cash grab to me. MYP seems much closer to what I envision the world of MOTU to be like, but it's still a mediocre cartoon amongst many other much better action cartoons from the past decade.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    and the soundtrack is cheesy and completely ill suited to the subject material.
    Some of your other points I may agree with to some extent. But to call this superb sountrack "cheesy and completely ill-suited to the subject material" is insulting. It would be like saying that the beautifully detailed background layouts were mere kindergarten doodles.

Themes such as Evil Plannings, Mystics, Snake Mountain Theme, Mysterious Woods, Front of the Castle, The Royal Palace, Orko's Theme, Action, Athletic He-Man, Important Flight or Cosmos are masterfully crafted on a technical level, with impeccable orchestration, daring textures, and some striking sonic discoveries (I'm still amazed every time I hear that unsettling "gyratory" effect in Evil Plannings 1). They're also of a high artistic merit that movingly conveys the appropriate emotional states (such as calmness, grandeur, mysteriousness, thrill, heroicity, foreboding or evilness). The hair-raising Snake Mountain Theme is like a sonic incarnation of evil, and Orko's Theme instantly sets the mischievously playful tone that befits the namesake character. The Royal Palace convincingly portrays the peaceful calm of everyday life, whereas Mystics immerses the listener in an eerie sense of foreboding, and Mysterious Woods sounds like a bucolic scene where some hidden secret lies. Front of the Castle has a serene majesticness suggesting the ancient wisdom contained within the walls of the ages-old fortress, while Important Flight imparts a vibrant sense of urgency and heroic duty in the face of impending danger, and Action permeates with the engaging thrill of battle. Not to mention the iconic main theme. I'd like to see if you could compose some piece even remotely as memorable as those.

Some of the later themes (particularly those dominated by synthesizer and electronic sounds instead of orchestral arrangements), which were most abundant during the second season and She-Ra, are noticeably divergent in style from the earlier themes and are at a different, significantly lower technical and artistic level—most probably because a different, less talented ghostwriter was at work, maybe after the contract with the first one expired or something. There was also a certain carelessness in the choice of soundtrack pieces in many later episodes, as if the sound-editing staff had become less involved or somewhat tired after producing so many of them, whereas it was a perfect match in most of the earlier episodes, fitting each scene to a tee and playing an important part in helping the audience to concentrate on the storytelling rather than on the technical limitations of the animation.

The fact that, for three decades, fans have been endlessly requesting this music to be released, should be a testament to the impact it caused on the audience. I haven't heard of any such demand for the 200X soundtrack at all.

In my view, and I think many others will agree, the amazing, iconic soundtrack was a good part of what made the Filmation show memorable (together with the colourful and imaginative background art, and the meaningful storytelling by DiTillio and some others).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation was bright, light-hearted and fun to watch while still being emotionally moving. It was relaxing and enjoyable.

MYP was just too dark and serious. It made it hard for me to watch because it felt too heavy for my taste.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

It's interesting to me that despite the fact only a few people did all the voices for Filmation, most of the main cast sounds much better.

This is particularly true of Skeletor, Beast Man, Teela, and Orko. Skeletor sounds too much like the Joker in MYP, while Beast Man is much cooler as sort of a "Fat Man" from Maltese Falcon. Teela and Orko are just personal preference, but it's a pretty strong preference in my case.
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    I don't have the nostalgia for Filmation that a lot of forum members do. We just didn't get it on any local channels when I was little so I never got into it. I truthfully find it nearly unwatchable as an adult. I hate just about everything about it. The character designs are bland and often watered down from the toys, the animation (while anatomically sound and beautifully fluid at times) is so limited and heavily repeated it's annoying, the voice acting is awful and hamfisted, the writing is lazy, and the soundtrack is cheesy and completely ill suited to the subject material. It's odd because I know Filmation IS what MOTU is all about to a lot of fans, but to me it has always missed the mark entirely. I see a lot of people talk about how it has "soul" or "heart," but I just can't see it, no matter how I try. It will always seem like a cheap, heartless, cash grab to me. MYP seems much closer to what I envision the world of MOTU to be like, but it's still a mediocre cartoon amongst many other much better action cartoons from the past decade.
    Yeah, I was a little bit annoyed with the dumbed down plots and simplified artwork. I liked the Rotoscoping but it quickly became overly repetitive. As an adult, it's painfully obvious that other than Larry Ditillio, the writing was staff as a whole was horrible and didn't care too much about what they were writing.

You should take a look at this guys video review of Filmation He-Man episodes. He seems to like the Filmation world of MOTU but he doesn't let nostalgia get in his way of pointing out the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    The fact that, for three decades, fans have been endlessly requesting this music to be released, should be a testament to the impact it caused on the audience. I haven't heard of any such demand for the 200X soundtrack at all.

In my view, and I think many others will agree, the amazing, iconic soundtrack was a good part of what made the Filmation show memorable (together with the colourful and imaginative background art, and the meaningful storytelling by DiTillio and some others).
    Shuki Levy was involved with the Filmation soundtrack and it seems like most of his 80's cartoon stuff was very popular. I also prefer the Filmation music as well as the Filmation Eternian backgrounds which were very alien and heavily detailed, unlike their simplified characters.

Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    Filmation was bright, light-hearted and fun to watch while still being emotionally moving. It was relaxing and enjoyable.

MYP was just too dark and serious. It made it hard for me to watch because it felt too heavy for my taste.
    For those like myself, "bright" and "light-hearted" should be two words that have nothing to do with a barbarian hero in a world of sword & sorcerey. The vintage vehicle and playset artwork came first and it was always dark and foreboding.

I am fairly certain that any future MOTU movie will be even more dark and serious than MYP. Personally, I'd love to see it go LOTR dark or maybe even Beowulf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    It's interesting to me that despite the fact only a few people did all the voices for Filmation, most of the main cast sounds much better.

This is particularly true of Skeletor, Beast Man, Teela, and Orko. Skeletor sounds too much like the Joker in MYP, while Beast Man is much cooler as sort of a "Fat Man" from Maltese Falcon. Teela and Orko are just personal preference, but it's a pretty strong preference in my case.
    I don't hear these "much better" voices in the main cast. I do prefer the original He-Man voice by John Erwin, not out of nostalgia but because I think his voice is stronger than Cam Clarke's MYP He-Man. I like Alan Oppenheimer's Skeletor but mostly out of nostalgia. That said, Filmation Skeletor was always laughing or cracking jokes or put downs much more like the Joker than Brian Dobson's MYP Skeletor.

MYP Skeletor did a lot less laughing and wise cracking. His MYP incarnation was much more fitting of his "Lord of Destruction" title.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; September 9, 2013 at 03:44am.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    I can't get into the MYP Productions He-man.

I like Filmation's He-man and She-ra.

Filmation's vision of the characters is better to me.

Also, the artwork, drawing, ideas, concepts, and writing were more compelling and attractive.

The special effects of He-man and She-ra's transformation sequences blow MYP out of the water.

The Filmation cartoons had more heart, creativity, and emotion.

Filmation's Sorceress was hotter than MYP's Sorceress.
    I agree, Filmation all the way. Also, my 4 year old agrees, even he doesn't like the 200X cartoon or toys, he says the Filmation He-Man looks more like his (Classics) He-Man, and that's the one he likes. He has a 200X MAA that I found at a yard sale for him for $1....and he likes my Classics MAA better.

Everyone has their preferences and I can respect that but when you say the the writing was more compelling, that is just pure fantasy. Other than the 2 part Shokoti episodes, every episode was stand alone with no origin story or story arc of any kind. Continuity was nonexistent in the Filmation He-Man cartoon.

- - - Updated - - -
    Again, to each their own but the stories and the voice acting? What stories? Over 130 episodes of He-Man and all of them stand alone episodes(Shokoti 2 part excluded) with ZERO continuity or carry over. You could miss the first 20, 30, 40, or 100 episodes of the series and jump right into it without having missed anything important from a story aspect. How is that possible? Because there was no story.

As for the voice acting, it worked when I was little but Lou Scheimer was about 70% of the voices and he isn't Frank Welker so it quickly becomes obvious(painfully so) that the voice acting was bad because Filmation was cheap.

I prefer the Filmation interpretation of Eternia because the world looks alien. I also prefer the transformation sequence and music but NO WAY did Filmation beat MYP in story telling or voice acting.
    I beg to seriously differ, over the 130 (only 130, 65 per season) episodes there is a whole series story arc, even if it's only touched every other episode for a few seconds or in a short dialog, but it does exist. And yes, you could miss something....

Not every show uses the main story arc in every episode, not even new shows, but it doesn't mean it exists.

And about Frank Welker....He's good, but everytime I hear him speak I hear his (Fred) voice and know it's him....(even as either Megatron)with the one exception of Dr. Claw (and using the same voice hidden behind a vocoder for Soundwave). Not to mention the one movie I saw him in with Don Knotts, again, I thought of Freddie.

Seth McFarlane voices how many on Family Guy, and other than Stewie, you know it's him, The Doctor and Pewterschmidt are the exact same voice. How many "voice" actors in the Simpsons use almost the same voice for the characters they speak for?

Yeah, it's a little more evident that a lot of characters sound like MAA or He-Man, but Filmation hardly has exclusivity to this common occurrence where you only use a couple voice actors instead of one for each character. Just like G1 Transformers had all that voice talent yet Casey Kasem used the same voice for both Cliffjumper and Bluestreak, at least Peter Cullen sounded completely different from Prime to Ironhide.

And the Shokoti thing was a 2 parter, hence it's obvious continuity, but some of the other episodes are related to each other, characters reappeared in different episodes tying them together for the most part, Negator, the Comet Keeper, Melaktha, Garth, Granamyr, Widgets...etc. If there was no story, or continuity, there would be no need to reuse characters at all, they'd all be one off, except the main guys.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I beg to seriously differ, over the 130 (only 130, 65 per season) episodes there is a whole series story arc, even if it's only touched every other episode for a few seconds or in a short dialog, but it does exist. And yes, you could miss something....

Not every show uses the main story arc in every episode, not even new shows, but it doesn't mean it exists.

And about Frank Welker....He's good, but everytime I hear him speak I hear his (Fred) voice and know it's him....(even as either Megatron)with the one exception of Dr. Claw (and using the same voice hidden behind a vocoder for Soundwave). Not to mention the one movie I saw him in with Don Knotts, again, I thought of Freddie.

Seth McFarlane voices how many on Family Guy, and other than Stewie, you know it's him, The Doctor and Pewterschmidt are the exact same voice. How many "voice" actors in the Simpsons use almost the same voice for the characters they speak for?

Yeah, it's a little more evident that a lot of characters sound like MAA or He-Man, but Filmation hardly has exclusivity to this common occurrence where you only use a couple voice actors instead of one for each character. Just like G1 Transformers had all that voice talent yet Casey Kasem used the same voice for both Cliffjumper and Bluestreak, at least Peter Cullen sounded completely different from Prime to Ironhide.

And the Shokoti thing was a 2 parter, hence it's obvious continuity, but some of the other episodes are related to each other, characters reappeared in different episodes tying them together for the most part, Negator, the Comet Keeper, Melaktha, Garth, Granamyr, Widgets...etc. If there was no story, or continuity, there would be no need to reuse characters at all, they'd all be one off, except the main guys.
    You can damn near watch the whole Filmation MOTU series (the 88% not written by Larry Ditillio) out of order and you couldn't tell. Overly simplistic 22 minute commercials was the norm since those in charge shied away from continuity to maintain the simple stand alone episodes. Temple of the Sun anyone? Three appearances of that Temple with ZERO continuity.

Filmation isn't the be all and end all of MOTU. There was no REAL beginning OR ending to the Filmation He-Man series. No introduction or conclusion but it had continuity? Yeah!

At least MYP gave us an origin story. MYP also had character introductions instead of them just magically appearing with little to no back story, as was often the case with Filmation. Filmation really did lay an egg with the character introduction of Roboto from "Robotica" nonsense. MYP also didn't have the SAME character design used over again and again as different characters which Filmation ALWAYS did.

Had Filmation not been so cheap, I have no doubt they could have given fans the cohesive and compelling story MYP provided. But if one refuses to remove their nostalgia goggles out of loyalty to Filmation, no amount of pointing out the obvious will change their minds. If anyone wants to talk about how great Filmation was and how MYP wasn't up to Filmation standards, I'd suggest taking that "rose-colored glasses" POV to the Filmation area of the ORG cause most MYP fans probably aren't buying it.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; September 11, 2013 at 02:38am.

Heroic Warrior
    You can damn near watch the whole Filmation MOTU series (the 88% not written by Larry Ditillio) out of order and you couldn't tell. Overly simplistic 22 minute commercials was the norm since those in charge shied away from continuity to maintain the simple stand alone episodes. Temple of the Sun anyone? Three appearances of that Temple with ZERO continuity.

Filmation isn't the be all and end all of MOTU. There was no REAL beginning OR ending to the Filmation He-Man series. No introduction or conclusion but it had continuity? Yeah!

At least MYP gave us an origin story. MYP also had character introductions instead of them just magically appearing with little to no back story, as was often the case with Filmation. Filmation really did lay an egg with the character introduction of Roboto from "Robotica" nonsense. MYP also didn't have the SAME character design used over again and again as different characters which Filmation ALWAYS did.

Had Filmation not been so cheap, I have no doubt they could have given fans the cohesive and compelling story MYP provided. But if one refuses to remove their nostalgia goggles out of loyalty to Filmation, no amount of pointing out the obvious will change their minds. If anyone wants to talk about how great Filmation was and how MYP wasn't up to Filmation standards, I'd suggest taking that "rose-colored glasses" POV to the Filmation area of the ORG cause most MYP fans probably aren't buying it.
    It has nothing to do with nostalgia, Filmation is just far better than MYP. You need to actually go back and watch the Filmation series, and then you'll see that there was a lot of continuity. Larry DiTillio was great, but you also had Bob Forward, Paul Dini, Tom Tataranowicz, Robert Lamb, Tom Sito, J. Michael Straczynski, Michael Reaves, J. Brynne Stevens, Robby London, Douglas Booth, and many others who were incredible writers and moved on to do other great things.

And get off the cheap thing. They did what they could with what resources they had, and they put out an incredible product. To me, every episode of MYP was a toy commercial. The only times I ever thought Filmation was trying to sell toys was the tail end of She-Ra, when Mattel told them to get in as many of the new characters as possible before the show came to an end.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    I felt MYP was more blatant in showcasing variant armors and such just to sell figures.
    Really??? Which One(s)

Battle Armor He-Man & Skeletor
    Snake Armor He-Man

Those are the only ones I saw from MYP blame Mattel for the other He-Man & Skeletor variants...

Funny thing is that you like the things when you were a kid but as an adult you SEE them differently (Just look at the 1980's Spider-Man Cartoons)they are dated and cool but hokey buy when you are a kid you don't see that.When I watch something now I want to be entertained and while some things from Filmation were cool it fell into what the rest of cartoons made in the 1980's..Look at G.I. Joe the first season was cool but not believable pilot's ejecting from a plane instead of varing coarse...)

It was the 1980's and alot of pop culture stuff to this day is dated some holds up others don't but to say something is better because it still makes you feel like a kid great but I get times like that too but the story is the important thing we never got alot of that back in Filmation some but not too much with MYP and the 200X Masters Comics it filled in alot of holes that were never explored.

Going back to my last comment someone interviewed Lou about using Stinkor is the Filmation cartoon and he though it would be a walking fart joke but when MYP used him he was a serious threat same with Evilseed & Count Marzo real threats for a more realistic time...

Snappy Threader
    I like Filmation better too, but I am looking at it through boogery kid eyes. 200x was much more adult oriented with darker themes, but Filmation He-Man, to me, will always be the icon to which others are judged.

Really??? Which One(s)

Snake Armor He-Man
    If I remember correctly, they also featured the Samurai figures and Ice Armor He-Man.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    If I remember correctly, they also featured the Samurai figures and Ice Armor He-Man.
    And Battle Sound Skeletor from 'Sky War' after he, Evil-Lyn, and Tri-Klops ate some ambrosia.

Regards,
    Victor P.

Really??? Which One(s)

Snake Armor He-Man

Those are the only ones I saw from MYP blame Mattel for the other He-Man & Skeletor variants...

Funny thing is that you like the things when you were a kid but as an adult you SEE them differently (Just look at the 1980's Spider-Man Cartoons)they are dated and cool but hokey buy when you are a kid you don't see that.When I watch something now I want to be entertained and while some things from Filmation were cool it fell into what the rest of cartoons made in the 1980's..Look at G.I. Joe the first season was cool but not believable pilot's ejecting from a plane instead of varing coarse...)

It was the 1980's and alot of pop culture stuff to this day is dated some holds up others don't but to say something is better because it still makes you feel like a kid great but I get times like that too but the story is the important thing we never got alot of that back in Filmation some but not too much with MYP and the 200X Masters Comics it filled in alot of holes that were never explored.

Going back to my last comment someone interviewed Lou about using Stinkor is the Filmation cartoon and he though it would be a walking fart joke but when MYP used him he was a serious threat same with Evilseed & Count Marzo real threats for a more realistic time...
    the samurai suits
    the power loader suits
    ice armor he-man

it's great that MYP was able to get more expansive with the story and involve darker material, but this is more a result of not having nearly as much pressure from parents groups and other censorship committees. i don't see the MYP series as inherently great...it was simply carrying over or paying homage to the greatness of filmation while capitalizing on the lack of limitations afforded by being produced in the 2000s on a cable network.

i love MYP for including stinkor, one of my favorite MOTU characters, but there's no escaping how silly the concept is, no matter how "serious" you try to portray him. in fact, you run the risk of looking even more goofy when you try to make a character like that more "realistic." and again, MYP's freedom to make these villains more serious threats was not any increased greatness on their parts. Filmation remains the more iconic series, but MYP had much fewer limitations.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

MYP also lost sight of what makes MOTU great by the second season. If I'm not mistaken, Skeletor is in only four (!) episodes during the detestable Snake Men season. Anyone who thinks King Hssss is a more compelling villain has a very strange notion of what MOTU is all about.

There is also an exaggerated quality to everything in the MYP series. Evil-Lyn's treacherous nature is over-the-top. Skeletor is basically insane (I still say he is much more like the Joker in MYP than in Filmation, despite the greater amount of laughing and insults in the latter). The fighting looks like Crouching Tiger or the Matrix (everyone sure can jump far in the MYP universe).

I also just don't like a bunch of the changes to the continuity, something that makes all of the bios in MOTUC a bit distasteful. If you want Skeletor to be Keldor, Randor's brother, that's one thing. But to completely revamp the Horde, write out Etheria, build the Snake Men into some uber-threat (I would have had an easier time accepting Stinkor as Eternia's ultimate bad guy), and make the Sorceress into some stoic Egyptian goddess is just too much. It's just too different from Filmation's world, which was deeper, even if Filmation didn't take advantage of their own setting very often.

MYP gets credit for making Adam look different than He-Man (although both keep up the strange fiction that Adam's family is somehow safer if Skeletor doesn't know he's He-Man; isn't the Royal Family constantly in danger from Skeletor anyway?) and being aimed more for teens and adults than Filmation, but, ultimately, it's a huge missed opportunity to do the ultimate He-Man show.
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    MYP also lost sight of what makes MOTU great by the second season. If I'm not mistaken, Skeletor is in only four (!) episodes during the detestable Snake Men season. Anyone who thinks King Hssss is a more compelling villain has a very strange notion of what MOTU is all about.

There is also an exaggerated quality to everything in the MYP series. Evil-Lyn's treacherous nature is over-the-top. Skeletor is basically insane (I still say he is much more like the Joker in MYP than in Filmation, despite the greater amount of laughing and insults in the latter). The fighting looks like Crouching Tiger or the Matrix (everyone sure can jump far in the MYP universe).

I also just don't like a bunch of the changes to the continuity, something that makes all of the bios in MOTUC a bit distasteful. If you want Skeletor to be Keldor, Randor's brother, that's one thing. But to completely revamp the Horde, write out Etheria, build the Snake Men into some uber-threat (I would have had an easier time accepting Stinkor as Eternia's ultimate bad guy), and make the Sorceress into some stoic Egyptian goddess is just too much. It's just too different from Filmation's world, which was deeper, even if Filmation didn't take advantage of their own setting very often.

MYP gets credit for making Adam look different than He-Man (although both keep up the strange fiction that Adam's family is somehow safer if Skeletor doesn't know he's He-Man; isn't the Royal Family constantly in danger from Skeletor anyway?) and being aimed more for teens and adults than Filmation, but, ultimately, it's a huge missed opportunity to do the ultimate He-Man show.
    You made a lot of great points.

How come people keep pointing out things about MYP that they don't like but keep avoiding certain ones about Filmation that are silly?

(Rose Colored Glasses)

And OH the vintage figures had multiple variants as well:

Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    Thunder Punch He-Man
    Terror Claws Skeletor
    Flying Fists He-Man (Which were in the Mini Comics)

I love how people bash the 2002 Cartoon but not Mattel for flooding the market with He-Man & Skeletor variants...Wow! They kill the line and it's OK....

But I digress....
    Last edited by Megalodon; September 12, 2013 at 08:04pm.