Thread: Vintage figure-style Classics repaints and part swaps thread

Vintage figure-style Classics repaints and part swaps thread

Here are some pics representing my OCD about some figures. First Teela:

IMG_8169.jpg

The weapons pack staff is stock, but I've added a dark red wash to her weapons pack armor (it's too bright otherwise), and also painted the blue Evil Lyn WP shield rooster red with several layers of dark red wash. If I can find a cheap set of extra boots I'll probably swap them out and paint them dark red as well (not too keen on painting Teela's stock boots - not for what I paid for her!)

Skeletor & Mer-Man:

IMG_8170.jpg

Both of them sport Dragon Blaster Skeletor forearms and boots. Skeletor's forarms have been lightened a bit to match the rest of his body, and of course Mer-Man's extremeties and loin cloth had to be repainted (loin cloth needs a bit of a touch up I think).

He-Man:

IMG_8171.jpg

Just repainted his shield orange to match the vintage figure. I may or may not bother to make his boots/loin cloth more red. Not sure.

Next up: Beast Man & Man-At-Arms (later this week)
    Last edited by Lich Leech; August 26, 2013 at 09:57am.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

By the ancients!!!

these improvements look great!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    these improvements look great!
    Thanks!

Slight update to MAA, with gray belt and bracer. Looks a bit less busy.

IMG_8195.jpg

IMG_8196.jpg

IMG_8197.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8199.jpg

IMG_8200.jpg
    By the ancients!!!

Beast Man repaint

IMG_8203.jpg
    By the ancients!!!

These are all great! I wish we could get official variants of these characters with these vintage figure decos/styles. Thanks for sharing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    These are all great! I wish we could get official variants of these characters with these vintage figure decos/styles. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! Yeah, my heart will always be with the vintage toy look, as cool as the 8 back look is.
    By the ancients!!!

Repainted He-Man's boots, furry shorts and shield to match the vintage figure:

IMG_8211.jpg IMG_8212.jpg IMG_8213.jpg IMG_8214.jpg
    By the ancients!!!

Snappy Threader
    They are all great. I love each and every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    They are all great. I love each and every one of them.
    Thanks very much!

I repainted Teela's Zoar to match the vintage toy (blue on the top of the wings, but not underneath):

IMG_8301.jpg IMG_8303.jpg

Almost done with this stuff now. I got an extra pair of boots from BG Teela and will be painting them red and putting them on Teela.
    By the ancients!!!

Update on Teela:

IMG_8308.jpgIMG_8309.jpg

I used a set of boots from Battleground Teela, and the original boots are saved in a baggie in my parts box. Didn't want to permanently mod such an expensive figure (I know Beast Man is expensive too, but I only paid $30 for him).
    By the ancients!!!

Nearly done repainting TOD sorceress. Just need to touch up a bit on her headdress and then finish up the wings. I want to keep them all orange on the inside, but I'm thinking of doing some kind of shading or dry brushing a different shade of orange to make it look more interesting.

IMG_8428.jpg
    By the ancients!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Fantastic repaints! I especially like the Teela repaint. The armor from the weapons pack was way too bright. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by cringer75 View Post
    Fantastic repaints! I especially like the Teela repaint. The armor from the weapons pack was way too bright. Great work!
    Thanks very much!
    By the ancients!!!

Amazing work. Specially He-Man and Man-At-Arms, they look perfect. I wish the official figures had these colors!

Quote Originally Posted by Merso View Post
    Amazing work. Specially He-Man and Man-At-Arms, they look perfect. I wish the official figures had these colors!
    Thanks very much

MAA and Sorceress were a huge pain in the butt, with all the square inches to cover and articulation to paint over. But I'm happy with the results.

I still want to make MAA's helmet a lighter blue as well. Maybe in a few weeks.

Finished sorceress:

IMG_8543.jpg
    Last edited by Lich Leech; October 25, 2013 at 03:47pm.
    By the ancients!!!

Vintage figure-style Mantenna:

By the ancients!!!

Neat point on He-Man's shield. I'll have to look closer at his shield.

Mantenna eyeballs a great idea. I do not want two Mantennas, but seeing this made me consider how cool it'd be to get a second so that one has yellow eyes & the mod mouth from Kevin Kosse while the other has the classic eye repaint & monster mouth.

Like the grey on Man At Arms. Prolly would never do it, but it looked really good. As did Skelly. I thought about it, but nah. Glad to see yours.

Why'd you reapint TOD Sorceress? Not pick up the original, not want two but had to have the orbstand? Or just want to use it to do a different take on the typical version? The all orange inside looks very good. Vintage like that? Or Filmation toon? or both or neither?

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Why'd you reapint TOD Sorceress? Not pick up the original, not want two but had to have the orbstand? Or just want to use it to do a different take on the typical version? The all orange inside looks very good. Vintage like that? Or Filmation toon? or both or neither?
    TOD Sorceress has better articulation.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post

Originally I bought the regular Sorceress, but the blue on the inside of the wings started to bother me. I wanted one that looked like Filmation, but didn't want to paint Sorceress since she was so expensive. So I sold that figure and bought the TOD version to repaint it. Had enough left over to buy another figure as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lich Leech; December 8, 2013 at 10:46am.
    By the ancients!!!

I got a blank white copy of the Alcala head and painted it like the vintage figure, including putting purple on the sides of the jaws to give the jaw area a thinner look"

By the ancients!!!

Great work all around, I love your vintage toy "variants." My favorite is Mer Man. I'm a little surprised you didn't dremel off the fur from Man at Arm's armor.

The paint jobs look Excellent overall, very "stock." The shading in particular is excellent. How do you achieve such results? Are you using an airbrush?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Great work all around, I love your vintage toy "variants." My favorite is Mer Man. I'm a little surprised you didn't dremel off the fur from Man at Arm's armor.

The paint jobs look Excellent overall, very "stock." The shading in particular is excellent. How do you achieve such results? Are you using an airbrush?
    Thanks! It's all brushwork. Sometimes I do shading by adding very thin coats of the same color paint mixed with a drop of black. The thin, darker paint tends to collect in the crevices of the sculpt, emphasizing them. For loin cloths I usually just do a coat of darker paint, and then dry brush lighter paint over top, leaving only the crevices dark.

I actually sold off MAA and He-Man and got the stock versions back. I found that in the end I preferred the way they ended up in Classics to my repaints. I'm still quite happy with Teela, Mer-Man and Beast Man though (I did end up giving Teela some white on the tops of her red boots - seemed to look better).
    Last edited by Lich Leech; June 27, 2014 at 09:50am.
    By the ancients!!!

Great work on Mantenna's vintage eyes!!! I wish we got an alternate set packed with him like this!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Great work on Mantenna's vintage eyes!!! I wish we got an alternate set packed with him like this!
    Thanks! I had to use a brush with only one bristle to get those lines. Still not exactly perfect, I might try it over again sometime.
    By the ancients!!!