Thread: Star Wars figures and 5 points of articulation (Saga Legends/Mission Series)

Star Wars figures and 5 points of articulation (Saga Legends/Mission Series)

I’ve been reading through some of the Star Wars forums and they are kind of split on the issue of Hasbro bringing back the old Kenner articulation. I was just curious what everyone here thought of it.

Personally I think it was a good move. For years, Hasbro has been trying to appeal to both collectors and kids and I don’t think it has been working as well. By this point, collectors need something new to get excited about which the 6” line delivers. Kids need something cheaper which the new limited articulation figures deliver.

I bought a few of the new figures and they felt so nostalgic. The best part is that the sculpts are still great. In some ways almost better. Sometimes super articulation actually hurts the aesthetic of the figure.

Since Hasbro is going for the Kenner vibe, I hope we get a few blatant Kenner figure updates. Like newly sculpted figures based off the old Kenner Greedo, Walrus Man, Hammerhead, and especially blue Snaggletooth. How about Luke, Obi Wan, and Darth Vader with telescoping light sabers (like that Luke they did a few years ago). And also some Kenner colored figures like SW Han Solo with black pants, Hoth Luke with white outfit, brown vest, and gray boots, etc. Figures like that mixed with prequel trilogy figures done in this Kenner style, with a few Clone Wars figures thrown into the mix as well would make this the Star Wars line I’ve always wanted.

"There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

HD figures on youtube
    I understand why they did it, but to me I don't see vintage Kenner when I look at these, I see knockoffs.

I liked where they were with the new articulation, but I like seeing this classic articulation too combined with (I hope what will remain) nicer sculpts and paint. The worst IMO was the ATOC line and all the frozen action poses and open mouths. Those are great for mini-statues, but for Star Wars if they can't be done in a neutral pose then I'd rather have the greater articulation and soft goods. Actually I like the soft goods on Star Wars in general because that reminds me of the RotJ era which was my personal favorite as a kid.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I would rather them have vintage articulation than pretend the figures have articulation that is acceptable to collectors when it isn't
    (eg., 4 inch Spider-man figures).

The inclusion of and quality of the accessories will play a role in whether I consider these.

As a child of the 70s, I easily had more Star Wars figures/vehicles/playsets than any other toyline in my life.

And even as a 7 year-old I wished the figures had knees and elbows.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    In my opinion, over articulation has been a travesty for action figures in recent years. Too much articulation leaves figures looking frail and odd. And parts tend to come off/break easier. The cuts in the middle of many new figures and crazy weird foot, leg, arm, hand, and finger articulation just ruins great sculpts.

I think the original 3 3/4" G.I.JOE had articulation down perfectly. And MOTUC does a nice job for the most part. Great sculpts with enough movement not to be statues, and can sit/fit in a vehicle, is my preference.

This is a great move by Hasbro!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely have zero interest in these or any other 5 POA or less figures. The last line I had any interest in with this limited amount of articulation was JLU. It's like technology going in the wrong direction.

HD figures on youtube
    I agree over articulation is unessesery, but I need more then five points myself, for proper posing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

I think the original 3 3/4" G.I.JOE had articulation down perfectly.
    Absolutely. Those figures could basically do anything I needed them to (which again was SO MUCH more than my Star Wars figures).

I saw some of these the other day. The figures do look decent although I have little to no interest in them due to the lack of articulation and the fact that since they're targeting kids, I can't imagine we'll see anyone too far off the beaten path. I actually think the smartest thing Hasbro could have done with these is to keep the Vintage style packaging for them. Then Hasbro may have managed to appeal to collectors who bought the Vintage Collection simply to display. Those were about the only figures ever that I considered displaying MOC.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    As a child of the 70s, I easily had more Star Wars figures/vehicles/playsets than any other toyline in my life.

And even as a 7 year-old I wished the figures had knees and elbows.
    It must have just been timing for me. I was young when I played with Star Wars figures and didn't miss the articulation. By the time I was older and wanted articulation I had moved on from Star Wars and was playing with GI*JOE, DC Super Powers, M.A.S.K., etc. It actually took me a while to get into GI*JOE because the first figure I ever got, straight arm Grunt, broke at the elbow about 3 days after I got him. I didn't get any more GI*JOE's until a year later when the swivel elbow joint was incorporated into the figures.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    In my opinion, over articulation has been a travesty for action figures in recent years. Too much articulation leaves figures looking frail and odd. And parts tend to come off/break easier. The cuts in the middle of many new figures and crazy weird foot, leg, arm, hand, and finger articulation just ruins great sculpts.
    That's pretty much how I feel about the articulation in the 3 3/4" line. It may add to playability but it often kills the aesthetics of the figure. And as you stated it can hurt the quality of the figure. I think the 6" was a great move because it is a better scale for quality super articulated figures. I'd rather the smaller figures look good than pose good.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

The new R4 has only 3 points of articulation and no middle leg, lol. This is why people are upset with Hasbro. They are clearly playing games with these droids.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I'm not so happy to see the return of the robe cuts from the original line. I'd rather have seen soft goods for Vader's robe instead of this treatment.

So anyone in a robe is going to have these oddly shaped legs I guess. Meh.

If they want to go appealing to nostalgia, how about reproducing the entire Droids animated series figures correcting the mistakes in the original line like costume colors and fat necks while including unproduced figures like Gaf, Governor Koong, Kleb Zellock, and Admiral Screed? If those vintage Alien movie figures can get remade....
    Last edited by gbagok; August 30, 2013 at 04:24pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406