Thread: Fixing Warped Weapons / Accessories

Fixing Warped Weapons / Accessories

I've opened a couple of my figures and have noticed what everyone here is undoubtedly already aware of: many are very, very bent.

I was willing to overlook it with Orko and Shadow Weaver's wand, but BG Evil-Lyn's staff and extra orb are bent beyond acceptability.

There is a lot of talk in various reviews about using the hair dryer, but a few miniature web sites that I read said that was a no-no and to use hot (but not boiling) water instead. I tried that with the orb without any luck.

What are other people doing?

I apologize if there is a thread on this. My attempts to use the search to find it failed.
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    I've opened a couple of my figures and have noticed what everyone here is undoubtedly already aware of: many are very, very bent.

I was willing to overlook it with Orko and Shadow Weaver's wand, but BG Evil-Lyn's staff and extra orb are bent beyond acceptability.

There is a lot of talk in various reviews about using the hair dryer, but a few miniature web sites that I read said that was a no-no and to use hot (but not boiling) water instead. I tried that with the orb without any luck.

What are other people doing?

I apologize if there is a thread on this. My attempts to use the search to find it failed.
    I've used hot water successfully for removing body parts. I assume the principle is the same - microwave a mug of water for a few minutes, dip the weapon in water for 30 seconds, then straighten and hold that way until cool. I've actually been meaning to straighten out my Mer-Man sword, I'll try that this evening.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I've used hot water successfully for removing body parts. I assume the principle is the same - microwave a mug of water for a few minutes, dip the weapon in water for 30 seconds, then straighten and hold that way until cool. I've actually been meaning to straighten out my Mer-Man sword, I'll try that this evening.
    This is what I do, and how I disassemble my customs, it's faster than a hairdryer, and there is no chance of accidentally melting anything. It does not alter plastic like some say it does, it's hot water, it's incapable of doing such a thing, It's boiling hot yes, but much too far from the melting point of the ABS & PVC plastic, and when your part cools down if left alone, usually it resumes its original shape, however, if you hold something in a new shape, and run it under cool water, it usually sets a new way, you may have to do it a few times for some stubborn parts, but it works just fine.

I usually fill a tall slim storage container up, heat it for 3 minutes, and when it comes out all you have to do is dip the parts in for like 5 seconds (smaller skinnier things) and like 30 seconds for like body dissasembly. And you get at least a couple minutes before the water needs another trip to the Microwave, and that's usually enough to take a whole figure apart....

Now, boiling in water, while the water is boiling....um, no, not recommended, because the Microwave or bottom of the pot you know, may not like your little buddy, and even in water may cause some issues to him, like, melting....

....but boiling, then dipping....no harm there.

I've had customs I've done a fear years back, dipped in boiling water, and nothing is wrong with them, to this day. Although, here's a tip....dipping a figure you painted in acrylic is not recommended, the hot water will loosen the paint, even if it's been a couple weeks since you painted it....And I would assume it would even make Enamel gummy....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 2, 2013 at 09:35pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Thanks!

I'll give this another go with hotter water.
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

I usually boil a big pot of water, turn the heat off and let it set for a bit, and then dip the part in for 30 seconds to a minute. Most will straighten themselves out, some need a little more persuasion.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    I could never get the weapons rack red rifle or the military Vikor gun the straighten out.

Hair dryer is pretty easy. Nothing gets wet either.

I've tried hot/cold and hair dryer, but some parts just don't like to stay straightened out for long. This is part of the reason why I won't store my MOTUC or their weapons loose anymore unless they are in Glad Tupperware. Unfortunately when figures are stored in baggies or loose one on top of the other their legs, arms, and gear may tend to warp over time. But anyway, this is a discussion specifically about gear being warped right out of the package. Hot/cold is my preferred for that.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

I've always used hot water, but not always to great success. Often times they'll just slowly bend back to where they were. The only sure-fire way I've managed to get them straight is when I had something to KEEP them straight while they were cooling. like between two heavy books or something. But it won't work unless you can manage to isolate that bent item, and it doesn't work well with items that aren't flat.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.