Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy collector community ethics ??? Fairness between collecting friends

Personally I'm in the camp that you can sell for whatever you want but I'm not going to pay more than I want to either. I don't caee if I go without in the short term. ...eventually I'll find it in my acceptable range. I dont mind paying a little more then retail if I cant find it anywhere myself. But not triple or quadruple. As far as paying for my own habit, now that I'm working at Toys R Us again maybe I will dabble in the reseller market a bit.

Cant you be fired over that?
    Abuse of yer discount?
    Ive thought about it myself with some of the hard to get items we get in but dont think its worth the risk of loosing my job over it.
    Besides...nothing personal...i cannot STAND when an employee does that!! Buys everything up, using a discount, and then turns around to make a profit off of it.
    Dont get me wrong, if i see something i buy it...but i dont buy mote than my collection needs to make money.
    I love being able to show my customers the new items and have them get as excited over it as i did! Thats fun to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    The obvious response is option B. If the buyer does any research whatsoever, it won't take him or her long to realize that your asking price was high. People won't bother to buy from you in the future if they feel your prices are high. Anyway, this is a flawed hypothetical. The buyer would clearly ask for more information about the figure. If you lie about it ("Found it at a pawn shop") or refuse to provide any details about it, you lose the buyer's respect. As a seller, you can't sacrifice your reputation on a single sale--you have to have an eye towards the future. Give some credit to Buzz. If he's got 6 Adora's, he lists that he's got 6 of them--rather than pretending he's down to his last one or whatever.
    Thanks Phil, this is exactly the point I was always trying to convey, it is unfortunate that some people will take advantage of a situation where they can to make a quick profit, and if collector help each other with leads about sites etc it makes for a more friendly environment to be a part of.

I acknowledge that buzz is a great guy as well, he is truly in it for the love of toys, it doesn't even seem that he makes a profit on his items, rather hook up collectors with great Deals. I have purchased from him multiple times.

This thread originally started after another thread where collectors decided to help each other find toys still available at retail sites and the eBay listings that seemed to follow from it.

Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    Thanks Phil, this is exactly the point I was always trying to convey, it is unfortunate that some people will take advantage of a situation where they can to make a quick profit, and if collector help each other with leads about sites etc it makes for a more friendly environment to be a part of.

I acknowledge that buzz is a great guy as well, he is truly in it for the love of toys, it doesn't even seem that he makes a profit on his items, rather hook up collectors with great Deals. I have purchased from him multiple times.

This thread originally started after another thread where collectors decided to help each other find toys still available at retail sites and the eBay listings that seemed to follow from it.

Sadly, it makes more sense from an economic standpoint to charge the $80 for the figure if you aren't anticipating future sales from that person, or if you aren't a person with any ambitions of becoming a seller.

And that's why I feel it's important to buy from established sellers with reputations, rather than going to Ebay and buying from random people in the hopes of getting a deal. Ebay is truly the place of last resort.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."