Thread: A few questions for gamers...

Master of New Adventures!

A few questions for gamers...

So as some here know, my fourteen-year old Alex is an avid gamer. And btw, thanks to all the orgers that have made past suggestions about games for Alex. Those suggestions have really been helpful and we appreciate it.

Alex already has Xbox and PS3. My question is, does it really make sense for me to get him the Xbox One for Christmas? I understand wanting to upgrade to new technology, but I also know that sometimes the changes are so small that they're incremental. Is this really worth the bucks? Or...should I be thinking about PS4?!

My second question revolves around the fact that he already has a lot of Xbox games. I'm sure the new Xbox One won't play those games, so what I'm thinking is to have all three platforms on the shelf under his television so he can switch back and forth. My question is, is there some sort of device that we can plug all three game platforms into and then plug it into the TV so he can effortless switch back and forth between the gaming platforms?

Thank, in advance, for your help.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 3, 2013 at 06:58pm.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Just my two cents:

As always, any new console is only surrounded by the hype that limited production creates. The PS3 didn't meet pre-order demands when it launched, and the ridiculous hype made around its scarcity for the first three months were having people paying outrageous prices for them on eBay. So, the XBox One doesn't seem to be generating the same hype because pre-orders didn't sell out right away (mostly due to the PS4 being launched at the same time and the because of all the dumb choices Microsoft promoted that their console would do).

I don't think the One will be backwards compatible with 360 games, so your son's older collection will just sit there. The launch titles (new games) for the console is pretty limited for the time being, so it's not like there's gonna be a whole lot of games released for the One that he's gonna be able to play. And a lot of new games coming out are still being released for the 360/PS3. So even if he wanted Call of Duty Ghost, it's coming out for all systems and he won't miss out on it by not having a One.

I've been a gamer for 20 plus years, I've worked for videogame stores and directly for a division of Sony's Playstation department even, and I know the "hype machine" that surrounds consoles pretty well. Having the new XBox One would be a nice social gift for him, being able to say he has the console. But its actual usage will be pretty limited at launch. I think there are only 2 or 3 exclusive games being released, with another 3 or 4 games that will be released on other consoles as well - and I think they're all basic first person shooters without a whole lot of variety to choose from. Plus, the atrocities that Microsoft are implementing with the One pretty much tells me they're idiots and are looking to milk people out of their money. If you do just a general Google search of "XBox One Problems," you'll see plenty of write ups that'll prove how off kilter they are with their business model.

I'd say this should be a birthday gift for your boy IF his birthday is still months after Christmas. Let all of the reviews come out for the console, see how Microsoft deals with fixing all the bugs and tweaks that it will need, and let them get a good library of games for it before you commit, imo.

Here's a good article to start you off with about the immediate problems with the XBox One:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-the-xbox-one/
    Last edited by The.Idea.of.Evil; November 3, 2013 at 08:38pm.

there are HDMI boxes that that will let you with a switch or a button change from one device to another.

I have almost never gotten a console right at launch, almost always waiting up to a year for them to build a good library (launch titles are often more upscaled games from the previous generation), and to release a few waves of revisions. One other reason is often price break. I think SNES was the only one I got at launch.

Hardware wise they do tend have a big boost every other generation, with the inbetween more being an update to the current hardware (over simplifying). The WII U for example is pretty much an HD version of the WII with a controller with a touch screen.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

personally I don't think it is worth it just yet, maybe in a years time but for now I think the current gen consoles still look and play great and they are still developing games for them so it is not as if they are going to become obsolete any time soon. In fact reviews of games such as the latest Assassins Creed game (AC4) have said that the next gen versions are not really any better then the current gen.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Solid advice and thanks to all. Alex's birthday is in June, so I think I'll do what you all suggest and back-burner it until then.

Interesting, when I asked him earlier this evening if he plays Xbox and PS3 about equally, he said none of his friends play PS3 anymore. I didn't press him on that because I don't need him second-guessing me about Christmas. But why do you guys think that is or is it just a local thing?

I have an LED HD TV with four HDMI ports so it is easier for me to switch from my xbox to my ps3 to my pc. Maybe investing on a TV would be better.
    The New King of Eternia
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Solid advice and thanks to all. Alex's birthday is in June, so I think I'll do what you all suggest and back-burner it until then.

Interesting, when I asked him earlier this evening if he plays Xbox and PS3 about equally, he said none of his friends play PS3 anymore. I didn't press him on that because I don't need him second-guessing me about Christmas. But why do you guys think that is or is it just a local thing?
    Xbox 360 has a better online infrastructure with Xbox Live and has pretty much become the default online console gaming network so your son is just following what everyone else is doing. The 360 also tends to get more special maps/downloads/updates specifically oriented towards working on Xbox Live (see how Call of Duty is run, etc)

And as for your question about the switching between game system, and HDMI Switch can be bought for around $20 and is easy to use (he just presses a button to flip between systems).
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I still hold that most people who got a PS3 got it for the blu ray player.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

'Investing in a TV'? Are you kidding? He's already got a 42" flat screen in his man cave. You should see his lair. Me? I was happy with a yo-yo and a Slinky when I was a kid. Oh, the times they are a'changing.

Quote Originally Posted by KING HE-MAN View Post
    I have an LED HD TV with four HDMI ports so it is easier for me to switch from my xbox to my ps3 to my pc. Maybe investing on a TV would be better.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 4, 2013 at 03:48pm.

Or maybe a "monitor" TV or Monitor with HDMI output will help you out.

In my opinion in this case is If he's looking forward on 2 or 3 Launch titles on the first day Go for it.

There's a lot of video game console bundle with video game with a decent price around Amazon and some retailer. Way much cheaper instead buying two separate stuff (Console and game especially).

With the presentation with what Microsoft gave us during the end of the first Quarter (of 2013), There's a lot of television entertainment exclusive tied in with the console. Meaning that everyone could have some fun watching online movies, sports, and playing game after watching the "television".
    Last edited by Fendi; November 4, 2013 at 10:03am.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Jack,

Has your Son been asking for one of the new systems this year, and really insistent on getting one right away?

I'm just wondering if he has said anything or if the intent here was sort of a preemptive preparation based on your own knowledge of the new systems coming out. If he isn't insisting on it, I definitely wouldn't worry about it right now. If is he really pushing for one, weighing the pros and cons of getting one now as opposed to later is a good idea.

I personally am getting a PS4 at launch (in part because I will be getting it really cheap between credit card reward points and some gift cards that I have), but the reality, as some others have stated, is that it will take a while for there to be a substantial library of games for the two new systems, and there is still plenty of support for the PS3 and 360, and likely will be for the next couple of years, maybe more.

If he enjoys gaming online with his friends, it will likely be a while before they have all jumped onboard to one of these new systems. Sure, one or two of them may end up with one this year, but the odds of all of them, or even most of them getting one? Doubtful.

It also may not be a bad idea to wait and see which system most of his other friends end up getting before getting him one, if he wants to be able to play online with them.

While both systems as of right now are good choices, Microsoft was originally going to do some horrible things with the Xbox One that many people didn't like that would require the system to be online once a day for your games to even work at all, severely restrict the selling of used games, etc, and they had to back track on all of it, but a lot of people have been left with a bad taste in their mouths. Anecdotally speaking (as I have no hard statistics to back this up), from what I've seen it seems that many people were put off by MS so badly that many (not all, but many) Xbox gamers might be shifting to PS4. I don't know if that will hold true in the long run and/or apply to your son's friends, but it may not be a bad idea to wait to see how it pans out.

Plus if you wait at least a year to get a new system, you might get a better deal. I highly doubt that the prices of the systems will actually drop in one year's time, but by next year they may have some kind of holiday bundles that include a game or something packed in with the system, and some retailers may have some better holiday bundle deals where you buy the system and get some game(s) and/or accessory(ies) for a discount or for free with purchase.

Based on past experience, you probably aren't going to see too much of that this year with the systems just launching. I know that Target is going to have buy 2 get 1 free PS4 games at launch, which surprised me for a new system, but many retailers have buy 2 get 1 video game deals each year around the holidays, so it's not like you wouldn't be able to find a similar deal next year in addition to the other possible deals that I mentioned earlier. And by then the prices on some games that are coming out now and in the near future will likely drop.

And as others have stated, there are connectors that you can get that allow you to plug multiple HDMI connections into one HDMI jack on your HDTV. I actually have this really cool one that allows me to plug up to 5 devices in it, and it automatically detects and connects to whichever device you turn on without you have to manually press anything on that adapter. So you can get something like that whether he gets a new system this year or next.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I still hold that most people who got a PS3 got it for the blu ray player.
    That was probably true early on, back when it was cheaper than other Blu-Ray players on the market and more reliable with firmware/disc compatibility updates. Since then the prices on stand alone players have come way down while reliability has gone up, but the PS3 has still sold rather well overall.

I actually initially got one at the end of 2007 after having gotten a Samsung Blu-Ray player for free a few months earlier. That players kept having compatibility problems and slow firmware updates, so I got fed up and got a PS3. At the time I had intended to use it primarily for playing Blu-Rays. But over time it became my preferred gaming device of the generation and have come to like it a lot more than 360 (which I got at launch).

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I wouldn't say it's an overwhelming majority, at one point the systems sales spiked up but games purchases didn't match. This was about a year after blu ray won the battle.

There is also the issue that many middle to upper income households have more than one of the current generation of consoles. Tyipcally it's a WII and an X-box 360 or a PS3, but with this current generation it wasn't uncommon for people to have X-box 360 and PS3. And typically one console gets played more than the other.

Here are my takeaways Olesker.

The PlayStation IV, and Xbox One are both good machines in their own right. There is currently a debate about the built in Kinect keeping the GPU in the
    XBO from being able to be fully utilized. This has been leading to a lot of uninformed clickbait articles across the internet.
    In any event with that out of the way (Seriously read NeoGAF it's the best gaming source online.)

It's really going to come to exclusives, and IMHO neither really have exclusives of a Nintendo caliber. The Wii U may be a much less
    powerful system, and it doesn't have nearly as many AAA budgeted third party games (Stuff from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. etc.)
    but you may consider it for the Nintendo made stuff as a second system.

Sony is going to have their stuff obviously. Killzone, Uncharted, Last Of Us sequels, will be there. If you, or your son really want those
    They will never be ported to other platforms. PS4 is also priced $100 less than the XBO. So for a lot of folks it seals the deal.
    There is an optional eyetoy you can buy to kind of, sort of, simulate Kinect but not nearly as well. So stuff like dance/party games will
    probably be better on the other two consoles. But the stuff most dudebro types would buy, are going to be on both.
    You also want to keep in mind that unlike the PS2, and PS3, you'll have to pay $60 a year to play multiplayer over the internet. You don't pay
    for stuff like Netflix on it other than what you pay Netflix. But the big ace Sony used to have against Microsoft is now gone. It's the same thing.
    It also does look like PSN has caught up to Live in terms of features. So a lot of people upset with Microsoft have sworn allegiance to Sony.
    As far as media features go, Sony has also made the odd decision to end Mp3 storage, and playback forcing you to use their streaming services if
    you plan on using the console as a stereo.

Microsoft is charging an extra $100 for their console because Kinect is bundled in. They have since removed all of the DRM that would have prevented
    you from using a preowned game in the console, locked physical games to an account, and cut retailers into a very restrictive situation that would
    have even cut small business out of the ecosystem. They also took the mandatory Kinect features off after concerns of spying, and invading consumers'
    personal space with the technology. So you don't have to worry about those things anymore. However the Kinect is rumored (Keep in mind RUMORED not
    confirmed) to lock down some of the GPU processes (Graphics Processing Unit) for Kinect features, and not let developers use all of it. The reason for this
    rumor is because two of the launch titles Call of Duty Ghosts, and Battlefield 4 run at a lower resolution (720 lines stretched to 1080 lines) on the Xbox One.
    Is it noticeable? For people who have played on computers in addition to consoles, yes. Especially on larger than 32" screens. Is it going to be any less fun?
    No the content is identical, and it still looks a lot nicer than on the current consoles. Honestly if the graphics are THAT big a deal to people they should honestly
    go third option (Which I'll get to).
    The Kinect adds more to the system than just the ability for dance games now. You can use some of the same features that are on Windows 8. Split for instance.
    So you can be playing a game in one window, while you watch NFL on the window next to it. You have built in broadcast support for Twitch.TV. So this is great
    for console gamers who previously had to feed their Xbox through a tuner box into their PC to broadcast to the site. If your son is a big fan of doing Let's Plays
    or having friends watch him, and his enemies do battle online it's admittedly a pretty nice thing to have. But that's also a small number of people
    in the grand scheme of things. They have some exclusives like Killer Instinct, Halo, and Ryse coming out. They also have third party exclusives hitting it like
    Titanfall which they hope will be a system seller. But everything else will pretty much be the exact same stuff Sony is getting. As always you will be paying for
    Xbox Live. You will be able to run CD's off of it, but you have to stream MP3's off your PC through your router for some reason. And here's why I say there is
    a third option for you.

A computer. for a few reasons:

1.) Did you know you can hook a computer up to a TV with the right card in it? Most new PC's support HDMI. A simple cable, and you have a rig in the living room.

2.) Steam.(And it's competition) Steam has grown by leaps, and bounds over the last 8 years. It gives you all of the community aspects of PSN/XBL with no fees. It supports Big Picture
    Mode so if you want to navigate it with a controller because you don't like KB & M too much you have that. Big Picture has it's own fully featured webbrowser fully navigated with a game
    pad.It has a store with thousands of games you can buy including most of the stuff coming to PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Because it's on a computer platform
    it also has competition you can go to. EA has their Origin store which is the place to buy EA games you might like, like Battlefield 4. Ubisoft has it's Uplay store but it still sells it's games on Steam for customer convenience.
    Amazon sells games, Gamestop sells games. Good Old Games sells DRM free games, and classic games tweaked to run on modern PC's. Most of these services automatically
    download, and install any patches or updates so you don't have to get your hands dirty. In the case of Steam, Steam will automatically download driver updates for certain graphics
    cards, and honestly they're rarely required anymore. Most new games support the Xbox 360 controller too. And the sales. During their Summer, and Christmas sales, you can find games for
    75% to 90% off. For instance, I bought Sleeping Dogs, shortly after it came out for a friend's birthday. FOR SIX DOLLARS. That wasn't a typo. SIX DOLLARS.

3.) Mods. Did you know many of the games you buy on consoles include editors if you get them for the computer? Many players make their own maps, characters, items, or even entirely
    new games from these editors, and you can download them, and play them FOR FREE. Steam even has their own workshop devoted to it. For one example just look at Skyrim. A game that is
    nearly two years old with a barren playerbase on console is full of life on PC. Between special effects mods, new stages, and more, the game will likely go on for another ten years before fading into history.
    And that is just ONE game.

4.) PC exclusives. Everyone talks about the Marios, Uncharteds, Halos, and other console exclusives. But there are tons of independently made, awesome games that are fostered on PC. Many of those studios
    making whiz bang console games STARTED on PC as an indie developer. Minecraft is one of the biggest recent examples of this. It's not all retro looking platformers either. My favorite game of this generation
    happened to be an indie game. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I made a thread about it that was largely ignored. But seriously look it up. It's awesome. It can hang with CoD, and Battlefield, and it was made
    on a fifth of the budget by thirty Canadians who call their studio Torn Banner. If they keep making stuff this well, they could be your next Epic, iD, or CryTek.
    If you want to see where future game makers are getting their start, PC's have you covered.

5.) Needing $$$$$$$$$$ to play games is a myth. By year's end you will be able to find or build a system on par with the new machines for not much more. Some may even
    decide to spend on the main PC with a current gen level video card now that still bests the Xbox 360/PS3 visuals, then upgrade to something that does double what the XBO/PS4
    do next year when it's more affordable. It's all up to you. The open nature lets you say "This is good enough, the games are playable" or "Gotta run Ghosts at 4K resolution", and everything
    in between. Next year I'll be upgrading to a new system, but I'll save a lot by repurposing most of my components. outside of the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

6.) A computer is more versatile. It's also a great tool for work programs, school programs, social networking, blogging, vlogging, and any content creation.

7.) You probably need a new computer every so often anyway. A dead motherboard, or too old to run the latest office program or plug in for a website you visit for work. You need a new rig.
    Why not say, "Gee I'm looking at this i5 based machine for $599. For an extra $200 I can have a video card capable of playing AAA games on my 1080p TV, and plug in my 360 pad"
    When like, me you see that all of the CoD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed, TitanFall (Yes it's hitting PC as well as XBO), etc. etc. is coming to the computer it's hard to justify spending almost the same money
    on a X Box One, or a PlayStation 4.

This also is NOT a dig on the consoles folks. I'm just letting you know the computer is a valid alternative. It's reminding me a lot of the days of Commodore, where my C64 got all of the stuff
    the 2600/5200/7800/NES/SMS were getting outside of Nintendo's First party games. And that to me is what it will come down to for you OP.
    Is Uncharted worth $400 because you can't play it anywhere else?
    Is Halo worth $500 because you can't play it anywhere else?

A lot of Wii U buyers bought it because you can't play Mario anywhere else.

If the answer is no, give a living room computer an honest look. And there's nothing that says it has to be an either or situation. You may find you want one of the three consoles for the exclusive
    experiences, and split third party games between that console, and PC.

So that's my long winded two cents. All of the options have their pros/cons but to me it's all about the games.
    Right now pretty much anything not first party is coming to everything. So I'm primarily staying on PC. but will
    eventually buy a Wii U for Nintendo stuff.
    Whatever you decide though, I hope he enjoys it. Christmas gifts are about what will make the person happy,
    not system wars.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post

3.) Mods. Did you know many of the games you buy on consoles include editors if you get them for the computer? Many players make their own maps, characters, items, or even entirely
    new games from these editors, and you can download them, and play them FOR FREE. Steam even has their own workshop devoted to it. For one example just look at Skyrim. A game that is
    nearly two years old with a barren playerbase on console is full of life on PC. Between special effects mods, new stages, and more, the game will likely go on for another ten years before fading into history.
    And that is just ONE game.
    I myself am in the middle of creating a whole new town / worldspace for Skyrim on the PC

SKYRIM FTW (on any platform)
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    The thing to keep in mind with Microsoft, they're incompetent. Windows 8 has been something of a failure, the past several months have seen system updates for the various Windows platforms that have caused no end of problems for users, and they honestly thought the always on spying console thing was a good idea. I haven't run a system update in many months, because it's too much risk of a BSOD or bricked computer. MS pushes these updates with no testing, and many people are finding their OS reporting Windows isn't genuine after running an update, despite the fact their copy is. They don't know what they're doing.

PC games are better for allowing mods, but they've lost a lot of favor for the fact that physical copies of games are now worthless due to DRM and digital "always online" content systems. Most physical copies now may save you the trouble of the download but you still need to be online to activate and/or play. I would not personally want ti own any physical copy of a game that does not allow me full player rights whenever I want to play it, and that includes allowing it to work 10 years down the road.

In my eyes the game industry has gone downhill in a bad way if the copies we pay for are so restricted that we can't sell them off, give them away, or play them in X years down the road. If we can't play a single player game without being online, then something is wrong. I sort of combat this by sticking with old games, I own a second PC running Windows XP just to play games that 7 can't or won't run, because I like knowing my "no online activation, no online requirement" old copy of a game can still be played on something without having to own the newest system or re-purchase what I've already bought. I can't even equate this to VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray format changes because the format and even the code for the games isn't any different when it comes to PC titles.

Well he hasn't been really giving me a full court press, but obviously he's heard the hype and it's a discussion among his friends. What he's concerned about is that the games released on xBox are going to taper off now and he's not going to get the best new games as they're released on Xbox one.

My gut agrees that I should wait until his birthday in June, but he does play on line with his friends so I need to get the lay of the land and see how many of them get Xbox One for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Jack,

Has your Son been asking for one of the new systems this year, and really insistent on getting one right away?

I'm just wondering if he has said anything or if the intent here was sort of a preemptive preparation based on your own knowledge of the new systems coming out. If he isn't insisting on it, I definitely wouldn't worry about it right now. If is he really pushing for one, weighing the pros and cons of getting one now as opposed to later is a good idea.

I personally am getting a PS4 at launch (in part because I will be getting it really cheap between credit card reward points and some gift cards that I have), but the reality, as some others have stated, is that it will take a while for there to be a substantial library of games for the two new systems, and there is still plenty of support for the PS3 and 360, and likely will be for the next couple of years, maybe more.

If he enjoys gaming online with his friends, it will likely be a while before they have all jumped onboard to one of these new systems. Sure, one or two of them may end up with one this year, but the odds of all of them, or even most of them getting one? Doubtful.

It also may not be a bad idea to wait and see which system most of his other friends end up getting before getting him one, if he wants to be able to play online with them.

While both systems as of right now are good choices, Microsoft was originally going to do some horrible things with the Xbox One that many people didn't like that would require the system to be online once a day for your games to even work at all, severely restrict the selling of used games, etc, and they had to back track on all of it, but a lot of people have been left with a bad taste in their mouths. Anecdotally speaking (as I have no hard statistics to back this up), from what I've seen it seems that many people were put off by MS so badly that many (not all, but many) Xbox gamers might be shifting to PS4. I don't know if that will hold true in the long run and/or apply to your son's friends, but it may not be a bad idea to wait to see how it pans out.

Plus if you wait at least a year to get a new system, you might get a better deal. I highly doubt that the prices of the systems will actually drop in one year's time, but by next year they may have some kind of holiday bundles that include a game or something packed in with the system, and some retailers may have some better holiday bundle deals where you buy the system and get some game(s) and/or accessory(ies) for a discount or for free with purchase.

Based on past experience, you probably aren't going to see too much of that this year with the systems just launching. I know that Target is going to have buy 2 get 1 free PS4 games at launch, which surprised me for a new system, but many retailers have buy 2 get 1 video game deals each year around the holidays, so it's not like you wouldn't be able to find a similar deal next year in addition to the other possible deals that I mentioned earlier. And by then the prices on some games that are coming out now and in the near future will likely drop.

And as others have stated, there are connectors that you can get that allow you to plug multiple HDMI connections into one HDMI jack on your HDTV. I actually have this really cool one that allows me to plug up to 5 devices in it, and it automatically detects and connects to whichever device you turn on without you have to manually press anything on that adapter. So you can get something like that whether he gets a new system this year or next.

That was probably true early on, back when it was cheaper than other Blu-Ray players on the market and more reliable with firmware/disc compatibility updates. Since then the prices on stand alone players have come way down while reliability has gone up, but the PS3 has still sold rather well overall.

I actually initially got one at the end of 2007 after having gotten a Samsung Blu-Ray player for free a few months earlier. That players kept having compatibility problems and slow firmware updates, so I got fed up and got a PS3. At the time I had intended to use it primarily for playing Blu-Rays. But over time it became my preferred gaming device of the generation and have come to like it a lot more than 360 (which I got at launch).