Thread: Review: MOTUC Warduke by Alvis Underground

Review: MOTUC Warduke by Alvis Underground

Its no surprise that Dungeons & Dragons fans fell in love with this character when Ljn Toys first introduced him as an action figure in 1983. The toy's bright colors, swinging arm action, and creative mix of shapes and textures were a winning design! The toy's packaging revealed nothing about the character's history or abilities, instead simply labeling him as an "Evil Fighter". These elements I believe helped fuel children's' imaginations as they were left to decide for themselves who was behind the blue-horned helmet with piercing red eyes, and helped them imagine Warduke in worlds other than the D&D realm fighting other similarly-sized toys like Darth Vader or Superman.

Source: Toyarchive.com

Warduke's bio has been fleshed out several times D&D adventure campaigns, giving fans insight into his equipment, special abilities, and magical spells spells like Devestation's Wake and Touch of Death. He was later featured in an episode of the animated D&D cartoon show called "In Search of the Dungeon Master" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCvA2D96ZY) in which Warduke's sword glowed and turned everything it touched to ice, helping him fell a tree and imprison the young heroes' ObiWan-esque mentor. Warduke also appeared in a D&D arcade game called Dungeons and Dragons: Warduke Vengeance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qfKx1gkzmE).

This popularity has lead to a variety of fan art and other media to be produced, giving us ample opportunity to show off our renewed loved for this character!

Masters of the Universe Classics offers the perfect base for this custom figure. Similar to Alvis Customs' Blackstarr conversion kit, this toy comes with a bright studded belt that wraps around and conceals the original toy's existing belt. There is quite a bit of sculpting on this custom figure, with just enough detail to emulate the vintage toy as closely as possible.

Alvis does a great job of maintaining the character's toy-like appearance, sticking to bright solid colors and just enough gloss to give the plastic an attractive new-toy shine. The figure's paint is sealed in tight and handling it I'm not concerned that anything will fall off or break. This was built to be played with. The necklace is glued in place (I removed the glue on mine) and his left hand is somewhat easy to remove (but not too easy) so its easier to attach the shield after applying

Warduke looks great posed with other Classics figures. Its easy to imagine him as Skeletor's new tool in a scheme to overthrow King Randor or to gain entry into Castle Grayskull. He has a great warlord vibe to him and could make a great faction leader, or some random brute with a chip on his shoulder.

Warduke has no articulation in his armored foot. Be sure to apply heat with a hair dryer to loosen his gauntlet hand otherwise it will be too hard and closed to allow his shield to be equipped. I'm debating whether to remove the yellow wash added to his exposed skin. If I do it will be removed with fingernail polish remover. Also trying to decide which DCUC head would look best so I can display Warduke without a helmet on.

The jewel is one of my favorite design elements to this figure. That and the impressive use of straps and rings, which I surmise would be very difficult to execute. Alvis pulled it off nicely!

All that's needed to strap his shield and sword to his back is a rubber band. Just cut the rubber band and carefully tie it to the back of the armor after looping it through the handle of the shield. The same loop can be used to slide the sword in like a sheath.

There are a ton of display options for this character. I can't wait to see what Warduke photos other MOTU fans come up with!
    Last edited by AdultCollector; September 4, 2013 at 10:05pm.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Thanks for the review.
    I liked the old toy a lot, but I think a MOTUC buck is far too bulky for him.
    While Strongheart, his nemesis, had he-man like muscular arms (even though wearing armour!), Warduke looked a lot slimmer and athletic. Would one of the slimmer DCUC not have worked better as a base? Just a personal point, though Lovely (if more than just somewhat overpriced) piece.
    Cheers!

Ok you have these now where can we buy them from?

Thanks for the review, AdultCollector !

Warduke is a wonderful character and I always imagine him as a medieval Boba Fett bounty hunter...

This custom by 'Alvis Underground' is awesome !
    It would be great if you post pictures of thim next to other MOTUC, just like Alvis did in his site...

Do you have the Blackstar conversion kit too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Thanks for the review, AdultCollector !
    Do you have the Blackstar conversion kit too ?
    I do have the Blackstar kit and its on my pile of custom figures to take photos of!

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Ok you have these now where can we buy them from?
    Pretty easy to Google search. We're not allowed to post URL's of that nature outside of the Marketplace Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I do have the Blackstar kit and its on my pile of custom figures to take photos of!

Pretty easy to Google search. We're not allowed to post URL's of that nature outside of the Marketplace Forums.
    I was interested in the conversion kit....Not on the site...

Thanks for the answer !

I will wait your Blackstar photos anxiously...

Megalodon

I am sure Alvis will come back with the conversion kit soon....

dang it AC.. ya beat me to doin the review on the Warduke figure.

knowing this conversion kit for a while now and I simply adore it. the problem is I can't spend two hundred bucks on a custom figure
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Awesome review! I love this guy! So happy to have him in the collection.

Wow. This is epic. Warduke was my favorite D&D character back in the day. This is really well done. The chest straps and shoulder armor are fantastic looking. That's pricey for any figure to me, but I like it so much I'm actually thinking about it.

Great review!!

The Warduke is a work of art and I can't wait to have mine in hand.

As to the comments about using a DCUC body - that would have looked totally ridiculous integrated into an MOTUC display. Everybody in the MOTUC line gets that big wide torso. I wouldn't want this Warduke as a stand alone piece, I want him as part of my MOTUC display and the Alvis Underground piece works perfectly in that regard. Just like his Blackstar on a Jitsu body, and his Death Dealer and his upcoming Dark Wolf.... all of them will fit seemlessly into the existing MOTUC displays I have going.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    The Warduke is a work of art and I can't wait to have mine in hand.

As to the comments about using a DCUC body - that would have looked totally ridiculous integrated into an MOTUC display. Everybody in the MOTUC line gets that big wide torso. I wouldn't want this Warduke as a stand alone piece, I want him as part of my MOTUC display and the Alvis Underground piece works perfectly in that regard. Just like his Blackstar on a Jitsu body, and his Death Dealer and his upcoming Dark Wolf.... all of them will fit seemlessly into the existing MOTUC displays I have going.
    Warduke is not part of Masters of the Universe, and the toyline and media he is coming from (unlike, for example, Blackstar that has a filmation version) has totally different eastethics. Personally, I want an accurate Warduke that looks like a fearsome warrior from a fantasy world, rather that a MOTU style techno barbarian bodybuilder. This being said, if you just want another non MOTU character to display alongside your present MOTUC collection, then I totally see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor/Skeletor73 View Post
    Warduke is not part of Masters of the Universe, and the toyline and media he is coming from (unlike, for example, Blackstar that has a filmation version) has totally different eastethics.
    do you know that this is a motu-c custom section? what the h are you talkin about?

I saw people doing stridor custom in my little pony vein....

sometimes, and I dont want to be a d++k, some replies just dont make sense at all.
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    do you know that this is a motu-c custom section? what the h are you talkin about?

I saw people doing stridor custom in my little pony vein....

sometimes, and I dont want to be a d++k, some replies just dont make sense at all.
    Hello,

Worry not, it takes much more than a blunt remark to make you a d++k
    Let's see if I manage to make you think it makes more sense, shall we?
    Ok, what I meant is (and, of course, this is but my humble opinion, mind you) that a character I loved to bits as a child is totally unsuitable as far as inclusion in MOTUC is concerned.
    Besides (and it's now my turn not wanting to be a d++k), this is no custom, but an item produced by a third party that, possibly, uses recast MOTUC parts.
    This being said, it's a pretty decent piece of plastic, if more than just a bit overpriced.
    Hope this makes more sense, if not feel free to ask
    Cheers!

Wow! I think this is really cool. I actually had the original toy back when I was a kid. I had no idea who he was or that there was a cult fan following for this guy. Brings back so many nostalgic memories seeing this kit. It's funny, the MOTUC version looks more like how I remember the figure looking than the actual vintage toy. The original figure looks so undetailed and wonky by comparison, but I absolutely loved this toy.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    Wow! I think this is really cool. I actually had the original toy back when I was a kid. I had no idea who he was or that there was a cult fan following for this guy. Brings back so many nostalgic memories seeing this kit. It's funny, the MOTUC version looks more like how I remember the figure looking than the actual vintage toy. The original figure looks so undetailed and wonky by comparison, but I absolutely loved this toy.
    I have this figure painted and all. Absolutely awesome piece. He looks like he belongs in the line.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Anyone missing a Grimsword? I mean seriously. Grimsword would fit PERFECTLY into the MOTUC aesthetic.