Thread: Happy 30th He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe!!

Happy 30th He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe!!

On this date 30 years ago, He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe arrived on TV stations everywhere. I remember being very excited that day when I was 12 and was glad to see it when it came on at 3:30PM EST. The one my station had chosen to show was episode 4, The Diamond Ray Of Disappearance. I watched it at 3:30 pm today to commemorate the occasion. Happy 30th birthday, you wonderful show. "By the Power Of Grayskull, I Have The Power!!"

Wow. Hard to believe it has been so long ago. I am impressed with your memory. I watched the show every day after school, but I don't remember the exact day I saw my first episode nor do I remember what episode I saw first. And I definitely don't remember what channel it was on or at what time.

All I know, mister_e, is that I was so glad it had finally arrived. I had seen the promos on my station prior to the premiere, so I knew it was coming. My station was WGNX Channel 46 in Atlanta (it used to be an independent station, it's now WGCL, my local CBS station). Every day at 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Of course, the time got shifted around here and there later on, but I caught every episode as was possible.

Ah, yes Diamond Ray of Disappearance. Wow. 30 years. I would turn 3 the very next day. I wonder if I watched the original airing.

god love motu
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Mitchyba...ow=grid&view=0 my youtube chanel with my he-man collection please take a look and subscribe always updating my motu

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by mattarga View Post
    All I know, mister_e, is that I was so glad it had finally arrived. I had seen the promos on my station prior to the premiere, so I knew it was coming. My station was WGNX Channel 46 in Atlanta (it used to be an independent station, it's now WGCL, my local CBS station). Every day at 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Of course, the time got shifted around here and there later on, but I caught every episode as was possible.
    This is interesting that you would see the show this early in America.

Since I think James Eatock has some documentation that the world-premiere of He-Man was in UK on Sept 5th, and in US TV's couple weeks later. He's mentioned the exact dates many times over in his blog.

http://bustatoons.blogspot.fi/2010/0...-at-420pm.html

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe in honor of the 30th anniversary, this morning on the 'over the air' station MeTV, instead of the usual Green Hornet or 60's Batman show, I was surprised to see He-Man.

It happens to be "The Great Books Mystery" where they have to do battle with Batros - so maybe that's their way of still having a 'Bat man' on around the regular time

Interestingly, right after this episode was an episode of She-Ra - "The Prisoners of Beast Island"

My friend from school won tickets to a premiere of the show at a theater near downtown Chicago. So myself and two buddies saw a few episodes (I don't recall which ones) before they aired. We each got a poster and I won a Masters coloring book and crayons in a raffle.

After the viewing, we left the theater disappointed that it was a "baby show." We were huge fans of the toys and mini-comics and what we saw on screen did not match up with either of those things. My two buddies "dropped out" of Masters fandom that day as baby stuff is not what you want to be associated with when you're a middle-schooler trying to seem cool. Thankfully for me, the coloring book that I won was based on the mini-comic mythos and may have assisted with my sticking it out with the property.

I would tune in to the show here and there just to see some of my favorite Masters characters in action not realizing it was creating a groundswell of new, much younger, fans who didn't know about the toys and/or couldn't read yet.

So while I still have no great love for this series (for many reasons too numerous to mention here), I do appreciate that it brought in throngs of new fans which helped the property become the massive hit that it was in the 80s.

So I must begrudgingly thank He-Man and the Masters of the Universe not only for the Classics figures I have today but for helping Masters eventual return to prominence in the future.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I remember watching the show everyday after school for the first year or so it was on. It eventually got moved to an earlier timeslot, so I couldn't watch it all the time. It was cool being on the Mill Creek DVD set documentary close to thirty years later with one of my sons.

He-Man and I have the same b-day!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    He-Man and I have the same b-day!
    So, Happy Birthday to you two !!!

Well, the Filmation cartoon started in Brazil only in early 1984....and the very first episode was the awful "Quest for He-Man"...
    So, the first villain I met was Plundor and not Skeletor...

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    So, Happy Birthday to you two !!!
    Thank you my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Well, the Filmation cartoon started in Brazil only in early 1984....and the very first episode was the awful "Quest for He-Man"...
    So, the first villain I met was Plundor and not Skeletor...

Omph!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

WOWZERS !

MOTU series and me have the same age and same birthday !?

AWESOME!
    Last edited by Arkangel; September 7, 2013 at 04:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    WOWZERS !

MOTU series and me have the same age and same birthday !?

AWESOME!
    Happy Birthday to you, JS, and He-Man.

Just to confirm He-Man and the Masters of the Universe didn't air in the US until September 26th 1983 - The UK was fortunate enough to receive the series first on September 5th 1983 - Hence why my Blog (once again) announced the news - 30 YEARS - Top 30 GREATEST MOMENTS #30

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I had just turned 3 on the 3rd. I wonder if I caught that episode.