Thread: Priority Mail 2-Day not really 2-day?

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar

Priority Mail 2-Day not really 2-day?

USPS recently rebranded Priority Mail as Priority Mail 2-Day, as a trademarked term which indicates some sort of 2 day delivery time guarantee, and I suspect this is going to bite them hard if they don't improve their system somehow. For whatever reason their packages are taking more than 2 days in many cases- I bought a very old plush that, despite clearing the local sort facility on Thursday at 3 AM, was only delivered today, which is very unusual for a package not to show up to me the day it clears the local sort facility. A few weeks back I sold my Gamecube to someone in Californi, sent Priority and it took 5 days- by comparison, another package I mailed parcel post and an envelope I sent Media Mail that same day took 4 days each. I've noticed a fair bit that packages I send Priority often take 3 days or more now, whereas First Class I both send and receive can be there within 2 days- in fact, the 2 day transit time seems rather consistent with First Class, while the more expensive Priority is having issues.

I'm aware USPS is having issues- our local PO got their equipment taken away and replaced with older equipment, whereas the 2 larger post offices in the business districts get the new stuff. They're using a calculator instead of a proper scale and cash register here, and writing on the postage amount with an ink pen before printing up the postage bar code later- this is not how the post office should be run. I have to wonder if trademarking "2-Day' as part of the Priority Mail brand is asking for an eventual class action lawsuit if their packages consistently take longer than that. I know USPS has never guaranteed transit time for all but a few services, but using that specific name sounds like trouble if it were to go to court.

What's going on with USPS? Did they somehow get the first class and Priority mailing systems mixed up?

- - - Updated - - -

I sort of wonder if the old method of "leave a truck sit until it's full" practice is being used for Priority Mail? All couriers do this for the budget rate services but did USPS actually get the First Class and Priority systems switched? Case in point, I called the PO this morning(I needed some customs forms left in my mail) and asked about my package, and the postmaster said they had 120 packages to sort through today- and that is an unusually high number of packages. Outside of Christmas I've been in there on days where they may have had 5 or fewer packages for this area. 120 seems to indicate to me that they're leaving trucks sit until they get full, then sending them off, but are doing this for the more expensive rate.

Ha ha ha. My local post office likes to scan things as "out for delivery," and then get lazy and not deliver them that day. Sometimes they scan them as "Notice left - business closed." I don't live in a business. There's never a notice left.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Yeah, I mentioned this in a thread last week, but ever since they went to the 1-, 2-, and 3-day Priority Mail things have been worse. What usually took 1-2 days now takes 5-7 days. I guess they are still working through the bugs, but so far I am not impressed.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Further issues with USPS-

Canadian tracking with the customs form # isn't working. One package I mailed back in July saw no tracking info until it cleared Canadian customs. Another I mailed a couple weeks ago had no online tracking info at all. Despite their promises that the customs form would offer full tracking to Canada now, this clearly isn't happening.

My local PO, for some idiotic reason, has old equipment. 2 nearby post offices get modern equipment, but here they're using a calculator and not giving out a real receipt. This is now the 3rd or 4th time they have failed to provide me with a tracking # for a package. This is very bad business since if a customer complains with Paypal and I do not have that number, I'm in trouble. I had to call their 800 number and complain about this, and I may have to resort to mailing all packages once a week at a PO further away from my home to ensure I get the tracking info.

Yeah, I think it's just your local Post Office and not the USPS as a whole since most of the packages I ship First Class to Canada do have that detailed tracking information. The fact that, per your statement, they're using old equipment and a calculator and not giving out a legitimate receipt should be a dead giveaway.

Hope things get better for you .

Regards,
    Victor P.

Well as much as they are pushing for Priority 2 Day, Regular Priority (which doesn't guarantee that) is still in use and why it takes longer in some cases. The Priority 2 Day, is a new service that is just being implemented as the main type of service; so the transition is gonna take time as they are trying to sell all the older Non 2 Day 'Priority' supplies (which if you don't specify the preferred method of shipping when sending something) before the new stuff is in full swing.

And there is a stipulation to this service as it clearly states on the USPS website which answers your dilemma:

"With Priority Mailģ, you get more for your money. This service offers fast delivery in 1, 2, or 3 days based on where your package started and where itís being sent."

This is true for all services as I have attempted to send Express Mail (Next Day) to areas in the U.S. but in some cases the region (mountainous, small town, archipelago).
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I don't think a single package that I've sent or received using Priority Mail "2-Day" has actually arrived in two days, even if it's been sent to/from a nearby city. Usually it takes just as long as First Class. The only difference is that Priority Mail packages get delivered to my building separately from First Class, so sometimes they come late at night, or the driver gets lazy and just delivers them the next day after they're scanned as "out for delivery." I can't wait for the class action lawsuit.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

My post office is good about saying it won't get there in two days save some money and do this.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Even now I'm noticing the cheap methods are moving a lot faster than Priority, and it's not just USPS. Amazon switched from Fedex Smartpost to UPS Surepost for its free shipping cheap option, and it's quite fast.