Thread: DC Universe Versus Masters of the Universe Mini-Series #6 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

DC Universe Versus Masters of the Universe Mini-Series #6 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

The End is finally HERE!

FINAL ISSUE! It’s all-out action as the heroes of the DC Universe and the Masters of the Universe join forces to battle Skeletor and his mysterious Dark Master, with the fate of two worlds hanging in the balance. But what will prove to be more important to Skeletor: his desire to destroy He-Man and his allies, or his distaste for taking orders from anyone?
    Discuss!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I thought it was a good ending to a (IMHO) entertaining miniseries. Seeing He-Man and Superman fight together was a fanboy dream come true for me. Hopefully we don't need to wait another 30 years to see that happen again. I wonder where Constantine sent Skeletor and Orko?

I think that bit about Marlena being cursed never to return to Eternia was crazy, but He-Man did mention that they would find a way to beat that curse. Adora being discussed by He-Man and Teela was also a nice touch. I also liked how he also didn't rule out restoring Orko from Horde Prime's influence.

The best part is that Skeletor is back to his normal appearance, except that he needs his lower jaw back.

One thing I still don't like is the new He-Man costume. It's like the He-Man chest harness bursts from underneath of Adam's vest and Adam's sleeves get ripped off.

The Teela-At-Arms costume is growing on me. I like it as the occasional "crap just got real" battle armor variant, but not her default look.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I kinda love all of Teela's DC looks, as inappropriate as they may be at times. Sign me up for a Teela mini-sub. (Just chiming in on that; I haven't read the book yet.)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I can't say that i liked this issue. I found it mediocre. The story was ended a bit too fast but without resolving anything. They were some good moments like Skeletor's monologue at the beginning, He-Man and Superman's team up and most important that Skeletor turned to his old self, but overall nothing exciting. I was hoping at least for a He-Man/magic controlled (real this time)Superman rematch, before they team up. And i didn't like again the sarcasm for the MOTU mythos. "By the power of what", really Superman?

So they still haven't saved Orko?

Urgh.

The only reason I read this was to see if they would redeem my favourite Trollan from the evil rubbish that Keith Giffen turned him into.

But no

Well at least it is now over and I don't collect the ongoing (due to it being absolutely awful) so I guess that is me done with these DC comics
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I kinda love all of Teela's DC looks, as inappropriate as they may be at times. Sign me up for a Teela mini-sub. (Just chiming in on that; I haven't read the book yet.)
    She's got alot of looks, right? Aside from He-Man and Skeletor, Randor used to be the secondary character with the most looks, but now...

• Original Teela (in Blonde Hair down, Blonde Hair up and Red Hair up variations)
    • Battleground Teela
    • Filmation Teela (high collar, heels and a bun hairstle)
    • NA Teela
    • 200X/MYP Teen Teela
    • Queen Teela (Son of He-Man)
    • DC New 52 Teela
    • Battle Armor Teela (DC New 52 Teela-At-Arms)

There are more too...Shipwrecked DC New 52 Teela, MYP Scuba Teela, Mini-comic Breast Cancer Teela, Teela with Brown Hair and Yellow Leotard, 1987 movie Teela...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think that bit about Marlena being cursed never to return to Eternia was crazy, but He-Man did mention that they would find a way to beat that curse. Adora being discussed by He-Man and Teela was also a nice touch. I also liked how he also didn't rule out restoring Orko from Horde Prime's influence. .
    I wonder if Marlena not returning ties into a future story dan is telling in main book with "Randor" currently .

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie3429 View Post
    I wonder if Marlena not returning ties into a future story dan is telling in main book with "Randor" currently .
    It's possible. This issue left many questions open, that could be used for possible future arcs. What happen to Skeletor and Orko? How He-Man will bring Orko back to side of good? As for Marlena's plot, it could be used even for a possible return of He-Man and the masters in the DC Universe.

Best series so far!

Animated movie for this now ,please!
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I thought it was great. It was obviously much better plotted than the ongoing, and each issue just seemed more and more like it was a spec script for an animated DCU film. That would be so awesome...

I really liked how He-man and Superman had to briefly work together to win (each using a unique thing to them to win) - it was as satisfying an ending as one can expect in such a short series.

I did find the "Well, see you guys later!" a bit abrupt, but again - in such a short series, that is to be expected. And I think it was comical intentionally.

Very enjoyable, sad it's over. But I loved the - rather random - "BTW, She-ra's origin will be..." in ongoing #13. Gives me some hope that the dreck there will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Right there with you Uki
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I still think DC does not have any respect for MOTU characters. I notice a lot of digs at their expense. Especially when Bat-Man said that he was glad that they were gone.

Also I thought it was poor dialog when He-man told Superman when he gave the power sword not to call upon the power of Greyskull.
    Check us out at www.Toy-Lines.com
    Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/toyshelfmagazine
    Follow us on Twitter - Toy-Lines

Thanks for looking

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy-Lines View Post
    I still think DC does not have any respect for MOTU characters. I notice a lot of digs at their expense. Especially when Bat-Man said that he was glad that they were gone.

Also I thought it was poor dialog when He-man told Superman when he gave the power sword not to call upon the power of Greyskull.
    Exactly! This is one of the reasons why i didn't like this issue. And i believe it has to do mainly with Giffen's point of view for the MOTU characters. And it's not the first time that he's doing that (rememeber the comments about Mekaneck, Fisto, Stinkor etc from the main series). In this issue we had the DC characters making such kind comments for the Masters. At least Dan Abnett respects the MOTU mythos and its characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy-Lines View Post
    I actually think those were some of the best parts of the series.

That was SO Batman's personality, Batman was glad they were gone - he's not great with all the magic/unknown stuff, I'm sure he was very relieved - as he really cannot solve or reconcile the mysteries of a dimension he knows absolutely nothing about. It renders a lot of his detective skills moot.

In general, I think the more humorous stuff was done to point out the classic "fish out of water" vibe - the Eternians must have seemed SO strange to them, with their largely literal names, lack of knowledge about the human Earth world, etc. The brief explanations of Eternian logic, etc. would also seem very strange as well.

It really felt like classic stuff - I really hope that we see a DCAU film out of this. I'd be so stoked for that, and it seems almost custom-made for one.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    I actually think those were some of the best parts of the series.

That was SO Batman's personality, Batman was glad they were gone - he's not great with all the magic/unknown stuff, I'm sure he was very relieved - as he really cannot solve or reconcile the mysteries of a dimension he knows absolutely nothing about. It renders a lot of his detective skills moot.

In general, I think the more humorous stuff was done to point out the classic "fish out of water" vibe - the Eternians must have seemed SO strange to them, with their largely literal names, lack of knowledge about the human Earth world, etc. The brief explanations of Eternian logic, etc. would also seem very strange as well.

It really felt like classic stuff - I really hope that we see a DCAU film out of this. I'd be so stoked for that, and it seems almost custom-made for one.
    Did you like He-Man and MOTU being a subject of jokes by the JL members and Giffen?
    And how the Eternians seemed strange to them. Giffen's He-Man and Teela are speaking more like Earthlings, than the Justic League members themselves did.
    For me the whole crossover felt more like a parody for MOTU .

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Did you like He-Man and MOTU being a subject of jokes by the JL members and Giffen?
    And how the Eternians seemed strange to them. Giffen's He-Man and Teela are speaking more like Earthlings, than the Justic League members themselves did.
    For me the whole crossover felt more like a parody for MOTU .
    To be honest, I prefer He-man and Teela talking normally better than I like the "For art thou" stuff, but yeah, a few of the "slangish" comments from Teela could have been better.

As to the jokes, etc. - and how strange they seemed - like I said, yup - personally I thought those were some of the most fun parts. The Eternians were "fish out of water" - and I felt it was actually pretty realistic. I mean, was Green Lantern supposed to bow down and say, "Welctome to Eternia, My Grace".

The DC characters acted like they typically do - the "Friends" irreverent humor aspect with those types of comments is very much a part of the current DC universe, and when you have a "fish out of water" thing when admittedly the mash-up of Middle Earth/Sci Fi thing that MOTU has going on is pretty humorous and would be if they just stride out of a portal in modern day Earth. I wasn't offended by it at all - it added some great little moments so it wasn't just hack/slash. I found it charming - and especially since once they got to know each other it was quite nice how they ended with respecting each other. When they met, they didn't know each other from, well, Adam, LOL. It gave it a nice progression to the relationship between the characters, as opposed to if it had started with them being all formal and reverent.

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    Just read the last Issue. I'm glad it's over with. Between the art and the writing, it was like sipping poison with every issue.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I actually really enjoyed the last issue. The rest of the series was iffy (but better than a lot of the regular DC MOTUC series), but this one seemed better! I *loved* the part where Prince Adam was on Trolla and leaped into Orko's chest because he knows his friend keeps all his treasures close to his heart. I thought that was really cool. I wished they saved Orko, though. The Marlena curse is total BS. The curse was broken for everyone else EXCEPT Marlena when He-Man transformed the first time? Are you friggin kidding? Sad.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I actually really enjoyed the last issue. The rest of the series was iffy (but better than a lot of the regular DC MOTUC series), but this one seemed better! I *loved* the part where Prince Adam was on Trolla and leaped into Orko's chest because he knows his friend keeps all his treasures close to his heart. I thought that was really cool. I wished they saved Orko, though. The Marlena curse is total BS. The curse was broken for everyone else EXCEPT Marlena when He-Man transformed the first time? Are you friggin kidding? Sad.
    I'm hoping that's because they are leaving room for a sequel.

But I honestly think basically eliminating Randor and Marlena from the story at the same time (and the previous removal of Sorceress) is probably one of the more calculated things in what sometimes feels like a lack of direction. It definitely seems like a bullet point of "remove the majority of He-man's strong 'adviser' characters" as an intentional story beat.

Basically, He-man is surrounded by folks older/wiser than him, which sort of makes him feel a bit too protected as a character. It's kind of difficult for He-man to make a mistake - and be more interesting than just the brawn. Thinking back to FILMation, I can see that - it worked for a kids show, where He-man is shown to be looking to the authority figures in his life for guidance. But if I were trying to move He-man a bit forward in development, to make him a real leader - I think eliminating the majority of his support system (MAA remains) gives him more storytelling potential to fail, and succeed, on his own. Comic history is rife with characters who parents are either dead, unknown, or otherwise unavailable because it gives characters more room to breathe.

At least that's what I think is the intent behind it. I agree that it does seem really abrupt, but I think that's more because of the comic format - if the story was told a bit less compressed, it's something that could have been done with more subtlety.
    Last edited by SpiritOfTeela; March 27, 2014 at 09:55pm.

I liked the crossover and would like to see more. I feel this last issue was a little rushed and could have been a longer series. My favorite part of story line is how batman sides with the masters. I think it would turn out to be a great dc direct animated movie.

I Really liked this issue and was so happy Skeletor was transformed back to his normal appearance. What I especially loved was how Adora was finally mentioned coz its annoyed me how she just left n nothing has been mentioned bout her for ages now. What I'm totally excited about is issue 13 is SHE-RA's origin....FINALLY bring on She-Ra to do some ass kicking
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Like all miniseries the final issue felt rushed after we spend 2-3 issues of people just kind of running around not doing much, have an issue where everything is revealed than they need to resolve everything like nothing happened in a single issue. The miniseries was two maybe three issues too long, but we have to have six issues to make the proper sized collected edition.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'm not crazy about the wrap-up.
    Queen Marlena "cursed" to stay on Earth is a bit too convenient, Skeletor and Orko are both disposed of at the end (so much for Man-At-Arms' comment about saving Orko)... the only wrap-up that I liked was that the skull of power was actually destroyed, so that is done with. But yeah... our heroes go back to Eternia with nothing really gained so overall this story arc was a bit "What was the point?" for me, personally. The big showdowns between Eternian and Justice League characters were reduced to one little panel with no actual action or fighting shown, so that was very disappointing.
    Overall, isn't a crossover like this supposed to be an effort to bridge fan-bases to create a larger audience? After six issues of this, I can't see Justice League fans being turned on to Masters, or vice versa... so in my eyes, this whole effort feels like a fail.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor