Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Orko be in the new live action film?

Should Orko be in the new live action film?

As we all know, Orko was not in the original live action film. While the technology was available to add a special effects version of Orko, it would have been far too costly, at that time. Characters like Slimer, in Ghostbusters, and the Stained Glass Window Knight in Young Sherlock Holmes, were the height of CGI, in that era, and both were very costly additions, to those films.

I think we can all agree the Gwildor, which was the Orko replacement, from the first film was a disappointment. Gwildor was a compromise. They couldn't have Orko, so they included another comic-relief side-kick, except unlike Orko Gwildor wasn't trustworthy.

Orko is an intricate part of the Power Sword story. He's the keeper and protector of the power sword. Trollians have long protected the Sword of Power, be it He-Ro in Preternia or Orko in more modern Eternia.

Its not even that he's a weak character. Orko's powers are, actually, very strong, in his homeland of Trolia, but on Eternia, where magic is quite strong, and the physics are different, his powers are flawed.

I've always viewed Orko as the most relatable character, especially to a young child. He's the guy who is small, while everyone else around him is HUGE. He's the guy who is afraid, because he's in a world of monsters, but despite his fears, he keeps trying. He's the guy who may be teased, and laughed-at, but he's loyal, and honestly cares about people, even when he's mistreated.

He's the nerd/geek in a school full of jocks. He may not be the most powerful man in the universe. he may not be royalty, or the leader of a great army. But, he's part of the inner circle. He's one of only a few beings who knows the true identity of He-Man. He, along with the sorceress are the keeper and protector of the power sword.

Orko was faceless, because he could represent anyone. While we know Orko was male, even that was rather ambiguous. I mean, think about it. He's shapeless, has a high pitched-voice, and only late in the series does he get a girl-friend (Dree Elle).

In a way, he could represent any child, be they male or female. That, and all kids have high pitched voices and are rather shapeless. He was the avatar, for kids. Kids knew they couldn't be He-Man, because he was an adult, but they could be Orko, and go on adventures with He-Man.

We now have the technology to include Orko in a live action film, in a cost-effective way. However, that could mean many things. It could mean an animated character, similar to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It could mean a Jar Jar Binks character (lets hope not), it could mean a Muppet (personally, I'd love to see a Muppet), or it could mean a redesign of Orko (which I think would be as big a mistake as Gwildor). My vote is Muppet, simply because I'd prefer a Yoda to a Jar Jar, any day.

Do you think Orko should be in the new live action film?

If so, what type of Orko, would you like to see?

Yes I would love to see Orko in a live action movie (he is my fave heroic character) and personally I would like him to be a mix of Filmation and 200x (more 200x then filmation) and not evil possessed super powerful naughty Orko from those god awful DC comics

or to put it super epically simply

ORKO SHOULD BE ORKO

Nothing more and nothing less
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Only if they make him look like thisį

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...er-d6skxat.jpg

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Yes, yes. Orko is important.

Orko is the alien oppositional character of Hordak.
    Orko is the 'physical' representation of the Eternian 'fish out of water' that Marlena is emotionally, that is detracting to the sub-mythology that makes human audiences feel that He-Man and She-Ra are really earth kids, and so therefore you can have the power too.

The difficult thing is to understand and quickly show the nature of Trolans in their habits and practises, like wearing scarfs, (likely a moral custom, like wearing a wedding ring), or the first letter of his/their name on that red shirt, (likely due to the fact that wearing a scarf makes it hard tell which Trolan is which).

YES, Orko would be great for the same reason as in the Filmation series (that's why he was created).

No. I can't stand Orko.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Id be totally cool without orko in the movie!!
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

I would prefer if Orko was in the movie. He is essential IMO

In the first movie (with the hopes there could be more than one).... No.

I think the best way to lead into a second movie and begin to unfold the legend, if I was helping with the writing of this movie; would be in the aftermath of the first major battle between He-Man and Skeletor (which would have Skellie attempting to open a portal...) I would do and end of credits scene:

-in which slight tears in the fabric of time and space are slowly dissipating across the planet of Eternia in which at the very end. While one of the tears opens, a small little creature falls through, rises and then flies right into the camera. End Scene.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Widget
    Okay, first off I need to correct you on something. Slimer in Ghostbusters was not CGI. He was done using practical effects (hand puppet with double exposure/compositing).

I actually liked the Gwildor character from the '87 film and most certainly did not see him as a "disappointment." In some ways I prefer him to Orko.

That out of the way, I've said this before in the "Should He-Man Kill?" thread, but it really depends on what the movie itself is about. If it's based primarily on either the Filmation and/or MYP cartoons, of course he should be in it. If it's based on the original four mini-comics then obviously not.

Personally, if I had to make a choice, I would say no, but that's just personal preference (If it were my choice, neither Prince Adam, Cringer, Randor, Marlena, nor any of the "Eternian Kingdom" would be in it). I must say, however, if they do have him, I like Nemisythe's idea.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I say yes, Orko should be in the movie. As a character, Orko fills a classic role in stories the very same role filled by C-3PO and R2-D2 in the Star Wars movies, by Merry and Pippin in the Lord of the Rings books & movies, and by Tahei and Matashichi in The Hidden Fortress.

There are plenty of other examples in any format of story one cares to name. The point is that if Orko isn't in the movie then we'll most likely see a character (or characters) created to fill the same role, and it'll be anyone's guess as to what the result might be.

That's a real tricky question...if the film was live-action then I'm not sure it would work so well...perhaps if used sparingly? Although so damn sick of CGI and would hate him to turn out like some annoying Jar Jar Binks clone... I would hope that they rework the character to be something closer to Gwildor...just a purple skinned version of that character with no hair and wearing Orko's trademark costume...maybe even make him mute or speaking in a different language only Eternian's can understand (subtitles for us)...or/ just feature him along the lines of Slimer in Ghostbusters II for quick and short comedy relief...

First, you're right,Frankenstein77, I was wrong, Slimer was done using practical effects (hand puppet with double exposure/compositing). But, my point remains the same, in that he provided a bit of extra comic relief, similar to Orko, and some special effects were used.

I, personally, did not care for Gwildor. If he were just a new character, that may have worked, but the fact he was an Orko replacement, left me feeling dissapointed, because he did not embody the spirit of Orko. He was rather greedy, and untrustworthy.

I kind of like the idea of Orko speaking a different language only Eternian's can understand. Part of what I liked about Star Wars, is they didn't give subtitles for R2D2 or Chewie. You were just expected to understand, the way others understood them.

Ideally, I'd prefer they did do a Muppet, more like the original Yoda, and not CGI, like the new Yoda.

I'm not sure if I ever really saw Orko as an alien oppositional character of Hordak. I guess, they're both timeless and after the same thing, but for opposing reasons.

"Orko is the 'physical' representation of the Eternian 'fish out of water' that Marlena is emotionally."

That's an interesting observation. I guess, there is some truth, in that. While Marlena appears pretty confident in her role, it couldn't be easy to give-up the life you knew, and begin another.

Marlena's story reminds me, of Planet of the Apes, except, without the twist ending, where they're actually on Earth, and its the future. I guess, Orko does have a lot in common with her, and maybe he does wear his heart on his sleeve, while she's a bit more emotionally composed.

I'd, ultimately, like Orko to be more than just comic relief. I'd like to see him have a moment of great heroics too.

If we get a pre filmation type movie(highly unlikely) then NO to Orko

But if we get a filmation hybrid then absolutely yes. I'm with people on him speaking in trollan and him getting subtitles that would be cool. Maybe even throw in a phone app that translates trollan for the home version. Darken his color palate -lose the "O" give him pupil-less glowing yellow eyes. there's a Final fantasy character that looks close to what I'd hope to see from live action movie.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Personally, I prefer the O, although glowing eyes could be cool, as long as he remains friendly looking. I like the idea of a phone app, that translates Trollian. I know there are similar apps for Klingon and Wookie.

I, also, agree, that if it were based on pre-filmation MOTU, than it should not include Orko, but, I'm pretty sure, it'll be based on the cartoon and toy line. After the success of both Transformers and GI Joe, its no wonder, they're coming-out with a MOTU film. The synergy of having toys that support a film and a film that supports toys, is too great for a studio to ignore, especially when MOTU is getting a second, or fourth wind.

Personally, I hope that, even if they make a new film, while it should be somewhat for adult audiences, it should appeal to the inner child too. Films, based on old toy lines, do well, when they not only target that original audience, who are now adults, but remind them why they loved these toys, as a child. Its not enough to just update the story, for an adult audience. It has to make you feel like a kid, again, too. To a lesser degree, even My Little Pony has done that, with its new audience. Personally, I was never a fan of that series, but its an example of how its appealing to an adult audience, but reminding them of their childhood.

If you get too childish, you loose the original audience. If you get too adult, than you warp characters that audience enjoyed, and you may loose the audience or a potential new younger audience.

Its almost certain, this will be based on the toys/cartoons, because that's what most people know, and that create the best marketing synergy. For that reason, I think Orko should be included, and not changed much, if at all, from his original form, although, I could get behind the idea of him speaking Trollian, and loosing the squeaky voice, especially since Lou Sheimer passed away.

And, as you pointed-out, the studio could have even more cross-promotion by offering an app that translates Trollian, or featuring a DVD/Blu-Ray extra, where you can turn-on sub-titles, or even learn Trollian.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Only if they make him look like thisį

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...er-d6skxat.jpg
    This.

I don't like characters like Orko or Gwildor. They're distracting and really they're there only to appease kids and sell toys. Unless Orko becomes this ultra bad-a** demonoid type goblin, I don't want to see him.

Didn't we all learn from Jar Jar Binks? So easily we forget...
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

I'd hope a new live action movie would be well written and contain the heart of the source material.

So, if Orko fits into that story, great. But, if not, I'm fine, too. Putting a specific character ahead of plot seems backwards to me, especially in a setting with as many characters as MotU has.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    You do not need to speak Trolan.
    ..also you do not need an engineering blueprint of the star ship Enterprise, so you can know where all the washrooms are located.

Orko, classically, did rhymes when he did a magic act, this along with his whimpering and sometimes argumentative or unnecessary-expositional-ranting has made many people think he is unimportant.

What needs to happen is a planned story from beginning to end, (I see it as 2 movies long), wherein Orko can have a purpose and not be random or quirky.

..in my work, Orko rhymes, although it is not necessary to rhyme, I think it makes sense because the whole story fits together.

Movie makers these days tend not to try to have a solid plan, just basic guidelines that can be broken if they feel like it, and who cares as long as everyone connected gets paid, right.

Yes, he should. IMO, of course. I think he will be, as I remember Devon Franklin answering a tweet ages ago about Orko’s inclusion and how they were trying to get him in the film. So I think he may be in the film in some shape or form.

YES! Orko should absolutely be in the movie, and he needs to keep his well known character. He should really take on a role of a Shakespearean Fool. Those are supporting characters who often appear foolish and funny, but occasionally, when everyone is preoccupied in their own struggle they provide a different perspective, insights and valuable wisdom at key moments, often saving the day. Sometimes they are the jester who tells the king that he's wrong when no one else dare speak.

That's the kind of Orko that I want to see - goofy, funny, clumsy, but at key moments, when everyone else is too busy being a great hero, Orko should say a simple smart thing that brings them down to Earth and helps them win. That's the way for Orko to become a great character.

PS. Just for the record, I also love Gwildor and I don't think he's a disappointment at all. I realize that he was created out of necessity, but now that he exists in MOTU, I consider him a very interesting and important character. There's enough room for both of them now.

well with todays effects they can easily do Orko justice, so a big Yes. Orko should be in it.
    -- Illusions come, illusions go. Show a true face to our foe --

I'm fine either way. Orko didn't arrive on the scene until two years after the line started so I remember a time when he wasn't even around and MOTU was still fine without him.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I'm fine either way. Orko didn't arrive on the scene until two years after the line started so I remember a time when he wasn't even around and MOTU was still fine without him.
    Some people would say the same of Hordak.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Some people would say the same of Hordak.
    Too true. I actually didn't care much for The Horde as a kid, but when I found out later on in life that they were all modeled after famous movie monsters it actually made me more interested in them.

I would personally love to see a movie less inspired by Filmation and more by the original comics so that is why Orko and even Hordak could take a backseat. Although I would be totally fine seeing them in the film also.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior
    I for one thoroughly hate Orko and all he represents
    Hate!