Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Terry Rossio is working on the script !

As a huge fan of She-Ra and her brand as a whole, I would be completely fine with just a cameo appearance or some sort of reference being included (like her Sword of Protection) in the initial film.

On a related note, one of my big concerns over the last several years, is Mattel's increasing attempts to elevate Teela to a She-Ra-like character, despite most of the general public seeing her as only a supporting character and at the risk of potentially diminishing She-Ra at some future point.

Sure, in the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series it was stated that Teela would one day be the Sorceress' heir (though it never eventuated), but now Mattel has taken this idea a step further. In the current Classics storyline, they've made it so this now ultra-powerful character can seemingly leave Castle Grayskull whenever she wants, to participate on the battlefield, rather than scaling back her involvement. (i.e. a character that would aid the Twins of Power from the confines of Castle Grayskull).
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As a huge fan of She-Ra and her brand as a whole, I would be completely fine with just a cameo appearance or some sort of reference being included (like her Sword of Protection) in the initial film.

On a related note, one of my big concerns over the last several years, is Mattel's increasing attempts to elevate Teela to a She-Ra-like character, despite most of the general public seeing her as only a supporting character and at the risk of potentially diminishing She-Ra at some future point.

Sure, in the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series it was stated that Teela would one day be the Sorceress' heir (though it never eventuated), but now Mattel has taken this idea a step further. In the current Classics storyline, they've made it so this now ultra-powerful character can seemingly leave Castle Grayskull whenever she wants, to participate on the battlefield, rather than scaling back her involvement. (i.e. a character that would aid the Twins of Power from the confines of Castle Grayskull).
    You make a very good point; She-Ra is being downplayed (into oblivion?) by Mattel in favour of Teela. The current DC comics have Teela consistently outshining He-Man himself - she is the central character, while He-Man seems to have had a charisma by-pass operation.

It seems - strange - that if Teela is to be Sorceress then she can be magic-wielder and high-priestess AND leave the castle to take part in battle. Oh - and also in time marry! It seems that power no longer demands any sacrifice of its users. To me, that is a poor understanding of a complex concept - a failure to exploit dramatic opportunity - and simply bad storytelling.

I would hope that a possible film would avoid such juvenile pitfalls as the DC comics and MOTUC have fallen right into.

Heroic Warrior
    Teela is not a secondary or a supporting character. Teela is, after He-Man and Skeletor, the most important character, regarding the He-Man's part of the franchise. Her family's story, her destiny is a crucial part of the Eternian mythos connecting the past, the present and the future. So it's logical that she would be heavily rappresented in any story, comic, TV show or film, that had to do with MOTU. And it's not right that her role must be underrated or obscured for making She-Ra more relevant. One of the great things that the Filmation show had done was to keep the two parts of the MOTU franchise as much as possible,independent the one from another and with different missions and tasks. He-Man was fighting for defend his world against the forces of Skeletor and She-Ra was fighting to free her own world from the Horde, giving the possibility to develop the other characters as well. So as Terry well pointed out, the first He-Man movie sould be focused on developing the main characters of the Eternian mythos and sure Teela is one of them.
    As for the argument that Teela as the Sorceress sould not be allowed to fight or marry, if i remember correctly Teela'Na had fought against Morgoth and Prahvus and defeated them outside of the castle walls and was legally married in both the Filmation and MYP show. And also Veena the first Sorceress fought alongside King Grayskull during the Great Wars while she was his wife. The Sorceress of Grayskull is not a priestess, because Grayskull is not a religious center, is a guardian of the Power that resides inside the Castle. So it's hard to see Teela, a born warrior, remaining locked up inside the Castle walls when a battle is raging without beeing part of it.

Terry, I think your thoughts on the involvement of She-Ra are spot-on. I do think it very important that the idea of her existing in any new MOTU world (be it on film, in print, wherever) allow for her eventual inclusion. Imagine a spin-off series of films based on her battles against the Horde. (The world IS ready for a female-driven series of films in such a fantastic-fashion!!!)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Yes, many of us are aware that there have been instances where the Sorceress has ventured outside of the general vicinity of Castle Grayskull in her non-Falcon form, however, these instances have overall been rarities and were usually via flashback sequences during a time when He-Man and She-Ra did not yet exist. Plus, the crystal in "Origin of the Sorceress" that gave the Sorceress the ability to maintain her magic and form away from Castle Grayskull was shown to be limited. It's also worth noting that, in this episode, He-Man and the Sorceress' "team up" was more of a vehicle to explain her origin and help set up the She-Ra, Princess of Power spin-off, what with the reveal of the Sword of Protection and invaders bearing The Horde symbol. This is in stark contrast to the direction that Mattel seems to be heading in, currently.

The main points I am trying to make, is that: 1. the Sorceress wasn't a really meant to be a constant presence on the battlefield (outside of telepathy) and, initially, her role was never written/used in a way that would overshadow the brand leaders (He-Man & She-Ra). 2. so far as Teela's destiny is concerned, I don't think Filmation ever intended to have it actualized for obvious reasons. It's only since the 2002 Mike Young Productions series that Mattel have been aggressively trying to increase the focus on Teela in a way that doesn't feel right to many of She-Ra's fans. Interestingly, from what I have witnessed over the years, She-Ra remains more well known and relevant to much of the general public than Teela, despite her having been used in every incarnation of MOTU.

None of this is to say that Teela isn't an important character in the eyes of hardcore fans. The problem is, now that Mattel have merged Princess of Power into MOTU and barely acknowledge events on Etheria, there's so much less room for She-Ra to shine in her own right. It doesn't help that it feels like they're in a rush to actualize Teela's destiny. Having said that, it's even more crucial to lessen the focus on Teela once She-Ra appears. Besides, there will likely be plenty of attention to Teela "the warrior" and the love interest aspect in the first movie or two.
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 8, 2014 at 05:25pm.

Heroic Warrior
    My point was that the Sorceress had fought outside the castle before and it doesn't seem that there is any law that proihibits her involvement in the battlefield. Also each Sorceress is a different character with a different background. Teela'Na before becoming the Sorceress, was a farmer girl probably without a warrior's training and skills and maybe for this reason didn't have such an active role during an open battle. Teela on the other hand is different story, so it's not such a surprise that as a Sorceress she continue to fight with other defenders.

Teela's destiny was about to be revealed back at the 80's during the Filmation series Son of He-Man and in this show Teela was the Sorceress. Unfortunately was never aired.

And no one contest that She-Ra is the leading character of the POP brand or her popularity. But for what is concerning the possibility of a film about the He-Man's part of mythos, Teela has the same right for the attention and the development as much as He-Man, Skeletor, the Sorceress, Evil-Lyn and Duncan. And since each film adaptation of a comic or a novel, is almost always not the same with the source material, perhaps a possible MOTU movieverse could follow the Filmation's example, and will not merge the two franchises together but keep them separate, and after Adora's introduction, hers and Etheria's story will continue to a POP trilogy without crossing overs between the tw worlds. This way all the major characters from both MOTU and POP could be introduced and developed appropriately. Of course all of this is a speculation and depends from how successful the first MOTU movie could be.

So we have to see first if even one MOTU movie would be made and then we can talk farther.

I’ve always been of the opinion that an Adora/She-Ra story should be saved for a sequel. It’s too big a story all on its own to share with Adam’s own origin story.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wordplaytr View Post
    >> But.. will we ever get She-Ra involvement? - Just a wonder. It'd seem a shame to pretend his SISTER and his parents DAUGHTER didn't exist ...

-- Star Wars having done it already, anyway -- and even just the twin sister origin of She-Ra makes me a bit uncomfortable that it could be seen as overly imitative of Star Wars.

.. given how far the project has come to this point.
    ya, well I am tired of hearing 'what could be done' or 'how can one particular thing work' ..and the all dreaded 'maybe they'll get it right next time'.

I have no questions about the complete story and meaning and message of Masters.

Also I am not confused about what it is not.
    Masters of the Universe is not -Korgoth of Barbaria- or -The legend of Orin- or -Star Wars-.
    ..you can not make a chessboard out of star wars. (Darth becomes the queen.).

Star Wars does not encompass all of the ethics and metaphor of Masters.
    ..however everything that happened in Star Wars could happen in the Masters 'world'.

Frankly its all ready to go, if you are looking for a director..?

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Teela's destiny was about to be revealed back at the 80's during the Filmation series Son of He-Man and in this show Teela was the Sorceress. Unfortunately was never aired.
    Perhaps I am missing something, but I am not aware of Teela actually becoming the Sorceress in any Filmation pitch. As far as I know, He-Ro Son of He-Man was pitched by Lou Scheimer Productions in 1996, years after Filmation became defunct. Teela was now Queen Tee-La in this story, with a reduced role (likely to allow Kay-La to shine), and the Sorceress was the same Sorceress as in the original series.

And no one contest that She-Ra is the leading character of the POP brand or her popularity. But for what is concerning the possibility of a film about the He-Man's part of mythos, Teela has the same right for the attention and the development as much as He-Man, Skeletor, the Sorceress, Evil-Lyn and Duncan.
    I'm not saying: "Don't develop Teela." But seeing as how the franchise has She-Ra, a brand leader with infinitely more name recognition among the general public than Teela, how does it make sense to develop Teela to the point where she is He-Man's equal on the battlefield?

And since each film adaptation of a comic or a novel, is almost always not the same with the source material, perhaps a possible MOTU movieverse could follow the Filmation's example, and will not merge the two franchises together but keep them separate, and after Adora's introduction, hers and Etheria's story will continue to a POP trilogy without crossing overs between the tw worlds.
    It seems as though Mattel is calling most of the shots though, what some of their employees being in place to executive produce the movie (Remember, Mattel's Playground Productions in now working with the studio) and many of their story and design ideas making their way into the DC Comics.
    Last edited by Tallstar; February 9, 2014 at 08:35am.

Heroic Warrior
    I' m sorry, you are right. When i was making my research on the site, i found this bio and i was confused, thinking it was from the SOH storyline:
    http://www.he-man.org/encyclopedia/v...1&objectid=258
    So this bio is not valid. I think that Mattel really needs to create an official canon, because right now it's difficult to comprehend what part of the story really happened and what it's not.

As you said She-Ra is the leading character of her own franchise. For this reason her story must be told at her own movie after her introduction in the MOTU movieverse. Because is not only She-Ra we are talking about, but also Glimmer, Angella, Bow and the whole world of Etheria. If you merged the two franchises to one there will be difficult to focus at any character at all, much less speaking about character development. And really Teela and Adora (and Skeletor and Evil-lyn) right now had more layers as characters than He-Man who often appears as one dimensional. Teela and Adora's relationship is the highlight (and the major twist) of the DC comic until now. Far more interesting ,complicated and unpredictable than the relationship between Adam and Adora. So the two ladies can work very well together in a movie if it's done right without neither of them being obscured or emarginated.

As for Mattel's involvement at the movie's production and script, it's hard to believe beeing such an influence, since Mattel haven't given us yet not even one coherent story about MOTU.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    I would suggest having Adora/She-Ra in the script (even if it’s just a short cameo) not only to widen the film’s appeal but because she can play a very important role to He-Man. This arises from her being the one person in the universe and in MOTUC canon who is his equivalent in power. As such she stops him from developing too large an ego that might otherwise lead him into taking unnecessary risks which Hordak / Skeletor could exploit. You could also have some fun with Adam/He-Man thinking he’s the best and then suddenly finding out there is another person with equivalent power! I would love to see Adam’s/He-Man’s face when that happens! It would put him on edge and help his character grow more depth. Like granamyr80 I think there is also a lot of potential for some fun banter between Teela and Adora. Would Adam be able to get a word in or be the butt of their jokes, for example?

I would also ignore Star Wars for inspiration of brother/sister dynamics as I don’t believe it was done well and like Terry think it would lead to unhelpful comparisons. Instead, it might be an idea to base it on an actual real example of a brother and sister in history who successfully fought together, protected and led their peoples, and left a legacy that lasts to this day.

One example, are Eadweard (King of Wessex) and Aethelflaed (Queen of Mercia, Lady of the Mercians) who were crucial in the survival of early England as a nation, gained the admiration and respect not only of their peoples, but of friends and foes alike while laying down the foundations for the later unification of an even larger nation that has had a profound effect on world history and the modern world we live in. If you delve deeper into Eadweard and Aethelflaed you will see that they share several similarities with He-Man and She-Ra. They even have a warrior king father in Alfred the Great who could be King Randor. Some historians have even speculated that if Aethelflaed had not led the armies and been victorious in battle then there might not have been an England as we know it. As a result, world history would not be the same, we would not be using English today as the main lingua franca or even living in a semi-free world. So adding Adora and getting the brother/sister dynamics right could make the MOTUC movie(s) something unique and ground-breaking, with real grit and an epic feel that provides inspiration and fun to people for a long-time to come.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It seems as though Mattel is calling most of the shots though, what some of their employees being in place to executive produce the movie (Remember, Mattel's Playground Productions in now working with the studio) and many of their story and design ideas making their way into the DC Comics.
    If this is the case, then its really hard to have any confidence that the film will be any good. The story and designs of the DC comics are crud - these eejits gave us Dorko - the ultimate evil. And a lot of other junk near as bad.

I hope Sony have the sense to show them the door real soon.

From a narrative POV the Adora/She-Ra origin is actually a lot more compelling and interesting than the Prince Adam origin (of which there has never really been a definitive version of, anyway). That is another reason why She-Ra’s story should definitely be saved for a sequel (if we get that far).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    From a narrative POV the Adora/She-Ra origin is actually a lot more compelling and interesting than the Prince Adam origin (of which there has never really been a definitive version of, anyway). That is another reason why She-Ra’s story should definitely be saved for a sequel (if we get that far).
    It's funny but always found He-Man as a character, especially the mysterious pre-Filmation barbarian version, far more compelling and interesting character than Prince Adam. And at the contrary always liked Adora as a character more than She-Ra.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Don't agree that Adora/She-Ra is necessarily more compelling a narrative than that of Adam/He-Man (it all depends on the qualities the writer concerned brings bear on the story, surely?)

But I do agree that trying to cover both in one film would be a bad idea.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Don't agree that Adora/She-Ra is necessarily more compelling a narrative than that of Adam/He-Man (it all depends on the qualities the writer concerned brings bear on the story, surely?)

But I do agree that trying to cover both in one film would be a bad idea.
    I agree completely. Once someone stated that there are not bad characters, only bad writers. Any fictional character and any story can be compelling and interesting, under the right pen. Take as example Tri-Klops. In the Fimation cartoon was just a stupid minion. In the MYP show and comics, he was one of my favorite villains. It's all a matter of writing and having good ideas.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I agree completely. Once someone stated that there are not bad characters, only bad writers. Any fictional character and any story can be compelling and interesting, under the right pen. Take as example Tri-Klops. In the Fimation cartoon was just a stupid minion. In the MYP show and comics, he was one of my favorite villains. It's all a matter of writing and having good ideas.
    That's right. And Tri-Klops is a really good example of what can be done with a limited character by a talented writer. You do well to bring that up. And the importance of the writing applies across the board - comics, books - and films!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey Hiss View Post
    Terry Rossio, in the new MOTU film don't forget to create eternian language/write. I do not think that the english is official in Eternia.
    Thank you!!!
    Maybe there should be some Eternian languages in subtitles than just English
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Yeah, I don't think having the whole movie in subtitles would be good!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I would want to see epic battles and out this world scenes of bad @$$ Battle Cat & Trap Jaw
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Any new news on the script from Rossio? I'm still a little scared that he is writing it without Ted Elliott.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!