Thread: Is the 200X line worth hunting down?

Is the 200X line worth hunting down?

Hi! I haven't posted here much. (Sorry if there's no point starting a new thread about this, btw)
    I've been on a big MOTU 200X kick recently because I've been watching the 2002 reboot with my brother, and I've been considering getting some of the figures because I just love those redesigns so much.
    I found the Orko (main one I'd be after) a while back for $30 at a store near me but the store had mysterious shut down overnight when I went there to buy it.. even all the shelving was gone..

Anyway, they seem to be a lot of money on eBay, and honestly with how cool they look it's the MOTU line I'd want to focus on collecting, but, considering money and availability restrictions, my question is;

How good quality are the figures? What ones would you guys say are the best and which are easiest/cheapest to find? Overall are they worth it compared to MOTUC or original stuff? Thanks!

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    I think they are really cool.

My favorites are:
    Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Mer-man, Evil-lyn, Buzz-off, Stratos, Two-Bad, Man-E-Faces, Orko, Whiplash, and flocked Panthor.

Very detailed, nice paint. Less articulation than Classics, but still quite awesome. Many of the stactions that came after the toy line are excellent, too.

Many of them go quite cheap on eBay even in the packages, counting rarer figures like Teela that were hard to find initially. Castle Grayskull can be had for under $100 in a sealed box. Stactions are likewise a lottery, Jitsu may sell for the cost of a kidney but some of them can be found for $25 shipped.

It's a mixed bag line for me, I really like some, some I'm lukewarm on, some I don't care for. Roboto is not a favorite of mine, it looks like an anime Robocop with giant boots and they left out his axe for a useless missile gimmick. I want to like Skeletor but that goofy permanent fold in one of his belt flaps didn't need to be there, it's unusual pre-posing that doesn't make any sense. Trap Jaw really did the concept well overall even if, in reality, he'd probably be dragging that arm around. The Bionic Commando reboot had the same issue, he should be leaning to the side.

Mattel also fiddled with the scale as they do in many of their lines, they want to stick to a strict exact height rather than individual heights, which made Trap Jaw shrink and Orko far too big. This is one advantage the staction line had over the toys.

Even if you collect vintage stuff strictly it's still worth getting Ram Man. Vintage Ram-Man has serious issues with worn paint or missing wrist stickers and I never felt it meshed well with the line. 200X does blend in okay with vintage.

Widget
    I was going through my tomb of treasures (aka storage) and just unearthed all my 200X stuff. I forgot how cool most of the figures are! I would try and track down the ones that appeal to you. Keep an eye out for ebay lots or at local toy/comic conventions.

I really like them. I was just getting back into MOTU when they came out, and I think they played a big part in keeping my interest going!

My favourite was Beast-Man, I think, and Whiplash - those were beautiful and unique sculptings. Skeletor never seemed quite right, as I recall. I agree with Diosoth that Roboto wasn't terribly exciting, and I wasn't a massive fan of Man-e-Faces.

Might be worth your checking the marketplace forum - someone in there posted the other day that they've got pretty much the whole line for sale!

I think what can be so hit or miss about the line is that it started as a continuation of the Filmation story, only changed to a reboot while it was being worked on. This leads to a case where some toys are the old character updated with some changes that make sense for a continuation(Trap Jaw MAA), some are completely new(Zodak, Roboto), and some are barely changed so what's the point(MEF, Mekaneck)? It was also hampered with a lot of forced gimmicks that didn't really improve the toys, only slightly better movement than vintage toys(yay, wrists and they can raise their arms better) and way too many variants that Mattel focused on while barely packing in other characters. I've also seen a few broken eBay samples, and having handled some of them in person, I suspect a lot of the joint pins were rather thin.

Moss Man being a flocked Beast Man may be a neat homage to the original toy but Beast Man has such a massive redesign into a bulky monster that it didn't work for this version of the character, and they failed to make a proper one. Keldor may have been a sought-after exclusive but it wasn't at all correct- watch the episodes. Keldor has solid boots and no bones- they are belts and buckles, not bones. And maybe it's just me but the toy looks to have a lot of black rather than purple. I guess Faker is neat and does nothing really wrong for being an update though an orange shield & axe would have been nice. Not every detail of something has to be strictly adhered to when doing an homage or update.

And I can see why the castle goes for so little... the interior is very sparse and many of them rely on those gimmicky foot chips which I wager were more a hindrance than a play feature, if it even worked right. When the second release stripped the feature out, you know it was a bomb.

I'm not real sure why the line is generally so cheap. I think it's that weird situation where the property isn't old enough for the nostalgia factor to overwhelm the line the way the vintage series does. Maybe Mattel handled the retail side so poorly that it died too soon and sort of didn't give it time to become a major nostalgic series. But it's also a post-90s line and those rarely have super strong value on eBay because of overproduction and collectors keeping them in the packages. Or as with a lot of the vintage toys many collectors gravitated to MOTUC and dumped off their old stuff.

And I can see why the castle goes for so little... the interior is very sparse and many of them rely on those gimmicky foot chips which I wager were more a hindrance than a play feature, if it even worked right. When the second release stripped the feature out, you know it was a bomb.
    Man, I cannot agree with this more. Having had the privilege to play with both Greyskulls as a kid, the 200X one my friend had fell apart extremely easily for no real reason, and all the toys just seemed weirdly extremely out of proportion to the castle, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll do what you guys have been saying and hunt down the characters I like best. Only real issue is all outside Australia postage on eBay is over $30 average. : / but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by keyop View Post
    Only real issue is all outside Australia postage on eBay is over $30 average. : / but oh well.
    Blame USPS and other postal outlets for this. A single vintage figure to the UK in a bubble mailer was $13. It would have been $23 in a small box. This is one reason I stopped sending overseas, I found few buyers even want to pay the high rates on small items.

Heroic Warrior
    The cheapest way to get them is in large lots on ebay rather than individually. I remember trying to get 200x skeletor but noticed he was more expensive by himself so I bought him in a lot and got him cheaper that way. As for quality, they are decent but some have strange articulation due to action features, Like Ram man you push him down and he pops up and spring loaded I believe. The Skeletor has a button in the back that makes his arm go up and down for some sort of sword slashing action I think Merman has a similar feature with button in the back. these figures have no knee bends or bends at the elbows like the classics. Both battle cat and Panthor also got buttons in their back that make their legs move forward and back when pressed but can still articulate into different positions despite the action feature, Panthor and skeletor are my favorites in the line

Heroic Warrior
    I'm re-posting this from another thread I created a while back, and feel the response is appropriate here. I feel the MOTU 200X Four Horsemen line is my favorite MOTU line in regards to the figures themselves.

Positives:

1) Great sculpts! I feel that many of these figures are truly works of art. I liked what I saw was an improvement on the original character's looks, while still retaining the same basic look & color schemes from the original figures. I especially liked the new designs for Trap Jaw, Man-e-faces, Tri-klops, Beast Man (much more animalistic), and Skeletor - though, the other figures all looked great too. I also thought this version of Teela was amazing - she looked a lot more like a warrior woman than the original figure.

And, the Four Horsemen actually made Orko look cool! I never liked the character back in the Filmation cartoon (and never liked the figure) because I felt he was the "comic relief" on the show. However, this Orko figure looked interesting....

2) Battle Cat & Panthor were amazing, and also IMHO improvement on the original sculps.

3) I though the Castle Grayskull from this line was great! And, I also liked this better than the Vintage version. Very impressive toy.

Here's why I think the line failed:

1) Not enough character selection, and too many pointless versions of He-man and Skeletor! The ridiculous Battle Armor & other variations looked awful. I'm sure collectors would much rather have had new characters rather than these re-hashes. Sure, in the Vintage days they had "Battle Armor He-man" and other variations, but they were spread out over the line, and there were still a lot of other characters that were made.

2) Terrible vehicles. Instead of trying to re-boot & improve Vintage MOTU vehicles like the Wind Raider, Battle Ram, etc. they went in a completely different direction & made all new vehicles - all of which looked sub-par at best. I never got any of these.

3) Poor distribution for many of the figures! I couldn't find Evil Lyn or the Snake men @ retail at all - though this was the last wave & those are typically difficult to find, many of the other figures were extremely HTF as well.

4) Not enough promotion. I don't remember seeing any ads or anything else advertising the toys anywhere. Sure, collectors like those of us on this site were aware the figures were out, but other older fans (who may have been collectors of MOTU back in the day) may not have been. Plus, kids who may have wanted to collect the figures probably weren't aware that these were out either.

In closing, it's too bad this line didn't last. It would have been great to have gotten all of the other Vintage characters re-made by the Four Horsemen.

Heroic Warrior
    TC I too just got into buying the 200x stuff! I've been a MotU fan my whole life and went in really hard on the MotUC line. As time went on my interest faded in the classics line a bit. I still love the line dearly but... who knows just kinda got over saturated (for me) I think.

Cut to september 2017 and I got this urge randomly to look into 200x. I dug out my default 200x He-Man which I had for some reason, it was the only 200x character I had. Started fidgeting around with it and realized... Holy ****! This figure is damn great!

I find the lack of articulation to be a breath of fresh air, oddly enough. The classics line has us fans downright spoiled, so seeing these more "artfully" done figures... I fell in love.

The sculpts are 10/10 imo and the paint is just right and the playability, I find, to be top notch. Keep in mind this was an attempt to bring MotU back to ages 4+.

Just holding any one of these figures... they just feel great. Some people might call the action-feature a gimmick but... I don't know, I kinda like it! They really take me back. I completely missed the MotU 200x vibe in 2001 because I was turning into a stupid teenager and pretended to not like toys. What a joke. Here I am 31 and I'm scouring ebay to find all of these bad boys.

I plan on tracking all of em down, outside of the random variants.

So long story short... GO ALL IN!

Personally, I think the Snakemen wave are a MUST HAVE, so many cool repaints and variants here. Loved them when I discovered them in Target back in the day and still love them today. And for some reason the green card art really pops when on display!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatmanSays View Post
    Personally, I think the Snakemen wave are a MUST HAVE, so many cool repaints and variants here. Loved them when I discovered them in Target back in the day and still love them today. And for some reason the green card art really pops when on display!
    Great figures, based on the pics. I've seen. I never saw the Snakemen wave/Evil Lyn @ stores, so never got these; IIRC these were the last wave (or one of the last waves) so they were especially tough to find @ retail. That being said, the entire 200X line was tough to find @ brick & mortar stores, for the most part.

Buying toys like this online wasn't as easy back in the early 200X's as it is now, so I never tried to get this from an online store.

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    Great figures, based on the pics. I've seen. I never saw the Snakemen wave/Evil Lyn @ stores, so never got these; IIRC these were the last wave (or one of the last waves) so they were especially tough to find @ retail. That being said, the entire 200X line was tough to find @ brick & mortar stores, for the most part.
    I've seen people saying this so many times that the Snakemen were hard to find in shops. I think the reason for this must have been that they were all shipped over to the UK! I remember stores packed to the brim with them - especially Woolworths.

It was a little harder to find the earlier figures - I remember having difficulty locating Buzz-Off and Evil-Lyn, and I only managed to get a repaint Sy-Klone rather than the 'proper' colour scheme. That being said, I got the entire line in shops, except Teela who I had to get from ebay. Maybe I was just lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    I've seen people saying this so many times that the Snakemen were hard to find in shops. I think the reason for this must have been that they were all shipped over to the UK! I remember stores packed to the brim with them - especially Woolworths.

It was a little harder to find the earlier figures - I remember having difficulty locating Buzz-Off and Evil-Lyn, and I only managed to get a repaint Sy-Klone rather than the 'proper' colour scheme. That being said, I got the entire line in shops, except Teela who I had to get from ebay. Maybe I was just lucky!
    Lucky! I remember Target here in Oz having a small, but decent selection of the Snakemen wave. At the time I picked up over a month most of the figures. Wish I'd a. kept them and b. kept them moc...the prices have risen recently on the 200x figures in general it seems (at least here in Australia)...I recently bought back x4 characters moc for a very good price ($9.99-$16.00 a figure), but I put that down as just a lucky fluke. Doubtful I'll be able to complete the set due to my budget (still getting MOTUC when affordable too), but intend on watching out for another good deal.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm in the US, and can attest that most the MOTU 200X line was tough to find in retail stores - except for the earlier waves (2002). By 2003, the line was already winding down & I never saw Buzz-off, Evil Lyn, or the Snake Men wave in stores whatsoever. There are probably some other figures I never saw, but don't remember off the top of my head.

A couple of years later, the Discount store Tuesday Morning did get some MOTU 200X product, and when I went there I was able to find the excellent 200X Castle Grayskull - but I don't remember seeing any carded figures there.

On behalf of the UK market, I can only say "sorry". While I'm glad we were able to get the figures we wanted easily, I would much rather it had been a little harder if it meant the line had continued longer. I'm still gutted we never got Clawful, among others. The staction figure is awesome but I'd have loved it if it could have been articulated.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, I'm glad that some other areas were able to find these great later MOTU 200X waves. I blame the difficulty in finding these toys partially on the fact that the line never really caught on in the first place; also, distribution was not that great - even in the beginning.

That being said, these figures were superb - and, if you're only looking at the figures themselves, I find this to be the best MOTU line to date - I think the figures looked far better than the '80's Vintage ones (while still retaining the same look/vibe/tone/feel), and I also find them better than the more current MOTU Classics. Incredible sculpts - many of these are truly works of art, they're that good - i.e. Trap-Jaw, Tri-klops, Panthor, Teela, and many of the others.

I never got into the Staction MOTU figures, and don't count these as part of the regular MOTU 200X line - they were OK, but were basically statues. I never collected them, since I didn't feel they fit in with the rest of the figures.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; October 14, 2017 at 04:28pm.