Thread: Turned my Karatti into a green Trap Jaw

Turned my Karatti into a green Trap Jaw

I've done some paint touch-ups on figures before, but this was my first attempt at actual customizing, and I'm feeling pretty good about it!

Green is my favorite color, and Trap Jaw is one of my favorite toys, so I've been hoping for this variant for a long time, and was disappointed in myself at how long it took me to realize how close Karatti already was to being it! Too bad Mattel didn't make him with the same torso/arm joints as Trap Jaw and market him that way--I'm certain he would have sold much better.

And I call him "green Trap Jaw" instead of "mini-comic Trap Jaw" because I know he had regular legs in that, but I like him this way because I just think all the mechanical stuff works better together. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Custom Work:
    A very special thanks to oulala and Master English for their help, advice and support during this project, and Hunter Knight because I watched his video on switching reversed shoulders to switch the arms.

The only other customizing part was giving him a MAA loin cloth, which was easy enough; I chose MAA because I wanted a black one to tie in the black I added to the legs, plus his has the very slight green highlights.

Paint Work: Arms
    Right: I covered all the blue on TJ's mechanical arm with green; I was originally going to make it gold to match the legs, but since the entire lower half was solid gold, it was pretty over-powering so I didn't want to amp that up. I know it makes him a tad day-glow, but I figured the point of this figure was GREEN, so I just went for it! As you can see, I added a black outline on the circle of his shoulder in an attempt to give some more detail, but it didn't turn out great so I may repaint it green.

Left: That was also solid gold, so I painted the hand black to break it up, as well as the small detail on the upper arm.

Paint Work: Legs
    I added the black paint to his thigh pads, and on some of the bolts on his legs.

Paint Work: Belt
    I thought it would really make the belt pop if I painted the rivets black, and I tried it with a toothpick, and it worked great on a few, but was a disaster on the others and just ran into big splotches, so I just repainted the entire thing green and am just gonna have to settle for that!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now where the heck did that red Beast Man go...?
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; September 19, 2013 at 02:55am.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    looks really good, nice use of a useless figure IMO

Great job
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Odiphus, Illumina w/ Sleetah

Snappy Threader
    Looks cool. I love Green Trap Jaw!!!!

Nice work! He'd look even cooler if you painted his face to match the green skin of his body. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Nice work! He'd look even cooler if you painted his face to match the green skin of his body. Thanks for sharing.
    Indeed, but it's close enough for me, and after what happened with the belt, there's NO way I'd risk painting his face myself!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    thats a great way to custom use a spare karatti figure. nice!
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Widget
    Very cool!!!!