Thread: A Bit About Darius

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar

A Bit About Darius

Can someone break down for me exactly who Darius is? I've not made it all the way through the show yet, but I don't remember seeing him at all yet. I know he was supposed to be made into a figure, but it got cancelled, but that's about all I know. Where does he appear that so many people seem to like him? I only ask because in the MOTUC poll they're going to run at SDCC it's a choice between Darius, who I only know as an unreleased prototype, and Mara, who is all over the TV show. Seems like asking if you'd want Teela or Eldor to me.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Although I haven't seen them myself, apparently Darius played the Hydron/Sebrian role in the UK comics.

Yes, that's pretty much the point. Originally, Darius piloted the starship, was leader of the Galactic Guardians and He-Man's closest friend on Primus. When the actionfigure was cancelled, it also put an end to plans with him for the cartoon show. So they created Master Sebrian as a substitute for Darius.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Master of New Adventures!
    As the creator of the series bible for NA and author of thirty-seven episodes, I'll tell you that I was never aware of Darius. He wasn't presented to me by Mattel when they presented the figures to me. I also have to respectfully tell you that your final sentence is not true. Unlike the majority of NA characters, which were created by Mattel, Master Sebrian was my own, original creation -- Mattel gave me the latitude to create a number of characters. He was not created to replace the Darius I never knew, but rather as an homage to Jerim Klapper, my high school head master who was a former Green Beret, head of the Great Books Foundation's Chicago branch and a true Renaissance Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much the point. Originally, Darius piloted the starship, was leader of the Galactic Guardians and He-Man's closest friend on Primus. When the actionfigure was cancelled, it also put an end to plans with him for the cartoon show. So they created Master Sebrian as a substitute for Darius.

Well okay, then my informations apparently have been false.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    So then he only exists in the UK comics?

Don't be too hard on yourself. At least you didn't say he was hiding weapons of mass destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    So then he only exists in the UK comics?
    He was featured in German and UK comics.
    His figure was promoted on NA toy packaging. One of his prototypes was featured in promotional magazines. He was part of the NA audio play cassette. And he even was offered as a price in a German comic mag (winners apparently were sent a different figure after the cancellation). To sum it up, he played a huge role in European media.

Here what I understand about Darius but feel to correct me if I've got anything wrong guys.
    He's the leader of the Galactic Guardians and was always meant to be it in the vintage toy line. But his figure got cancelled because Mattel couldn't get his action feature working, as such Darius wasn't in the list of characters presented to Jack and Jetlag to use. As a writer Jack saw the lack of a leader and mentor character and knew he'd need one so he created Sebrian and bumped Hydron up in rank in order to fill the roles left by that lack of Darius.
    The characters and their roles in the NA cartoon might have been quite different if Mattel had just been able to get Darius's action feature work and released the figure.

As Sir Reilly said above he was heavily featured in the UK/German comics, the UK 1990 annual and appeared on the cross sells on card backs and boxes in the NA toy line.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

That's basically true, except that I never knew about Darius, so I didn't sense the loss of him. I did know someone had to lead the GG, and that was why I created Master Sebrian.

It's an interesting speculation as to how things might have played out had Darius been the GG's leader. Certainly Sebrian was not a warrior. He was an intellectual and was in favor of force only as a last resort. I liked that He-man was able to have more cerebral discussions with him as I felt it was an asset to the action-driven series.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Here what I understand about Darius but feel to correct me if I've got anything wrong guys.
    He's the leader of the Galactic Guardians and was always meant to be it in the vintage toy line. But his figure got cancelled because Mattel couldn't get his action feature working, as such Darius wasn't in the list of characters presented to Jack and Jetlag to use. As a writer Jack saw the lack of a leader and mentor character and knew he'd need one so he created Sebrian and bumped Hydron up in rank in order to fill the roles left by that lack of Darius.
    The characters and their roles in the NA cartoon might have been quite different if Mattel had just been able to get Darius's action feature work and released the figure.

As Sir Reilly said above he was heavily featured in the UK/German comics, the UK 1990 annual and appeared on the cross sells on card backs and boxes in the NA toy line.

I think you're thinking of the plans for the intended series by Filmation titled "He-Man and the Masters of Space" that was scrapped when Filmation closed its doors. A few conceptual designs by Filmation for this series exist and are included as extras on the NA DVDs, and Darius is indeed among the character designs, indicating he may well have been in this series had it gone ahead. But after Filmation went out of business, by the time Mattel hired Jetlag to produce the cartoon for the new toy line, the character of Darius had been scrapped due to the problems with his action feature and so he was not part of the details presented to Jack at Jetlag.
    Aidan Cross- Official Website
    The Bacillus- my band's official website
    Excavating the 80s- my blog on unsung bands of the 80s

Alas, poor Darius...I knew him 'not' well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    I think you're thinking of the plans for the intended series by Filmation titled "He-Man and the Masters of Space" that was scrapped when Filmation closed its doors. A few conceptual designs by Filmation for this series exist and are included as extras on the NA DVDs, and Darius is indeed among the character designs, indicating he may well have been in this series had it gone ahead. But after Filmation went out of business, by the time Mattel hired Jetlag to produce the cartoon for the new toy line, the character of Darius had been scrapped due to the problems with his action feature and so he was not part of the details presented to Jack at Jetlag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    A few conceptual designs by Filmation for this series exist and are included as extras on the NA DVDs
    That album on the dvd always crashes my dvd software, I use VLC Media Player and it does it on both my Windows desktop and Ubuntu laptop. Anybody else have this problem?
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Having spoken with the guy that created the Darius figure I can say this: It was his action feature that kept him from getting made. His gimmick was supposed to be swinging his mace but for some reason they couldn't figure out how to do it safely without the mace flying out of his hands and possibly hurting someone. From my knowledge of Darius he was the leader of Primus and the Galactic Guardians. He made the trip to Eternia with Flipshot to retrieve He-Man. That's about all I know other than the prototype was mighty tasty.

550523_10152143578105297_579619925_n.jpg
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    25_darius_bio_zps6d107d0e.jpg

I personally love the updated bio by Gbagok.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    25_darius_bio_zps6d107d0e.jpg

I personally love the updated bio by Gbagok.
    Huh. I see I'm not the only one who thinks the Inner Council might have done something to Denebria. (I included hints in my fanfic that it was a flawed shield system that caused the devastation and, more overtly, the mutation. But that's the same fanfic that turns NA He-Man into a misguided villain, sends Sebrian a few steps down the same road, and turns Mara into the Fourth Champion alongside He-Man, She-Ra and He-Ro. )

On topic, I think Darius' cancellation may explain something--we never got Slushead released independently in the US, from what I recall. If you didn't get him in the He-Man/Evil Mutant two-pack, you were out of luck. If Darius was planned but cancelled at the last minute, perhaps they canned a separate Slushead release in order to avoid a lopsided case assortment.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    The character Darius adds a lot to the plot & to what plays out with He-Mans involvement. Darius is a vital key character.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    very cool information in here. love hearing about these characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Wind View Post
    Having spoken with the guy that created the Darius figure I can say this: It was his action feature that kept him from getting made. His gimmick was supposed to be swinging his mace but for some reason they couldn't figure out how to do it safely without the mace flying out of his hands and possibly hurting someone. From my knowledge of Darius he was the leader of Primus and the Galactic Guardians. He made the trip to Eternia with Flipshot to retrieve He-Man. That's about all I know other than the prototype was mighty tasty.

550523_10152143578105297_579619925_n.jpg
    Sorry, but this is not true. The mace is actualy fixed to the hand, it can not fly away. The engineers could never get the mace swinging mechanism to work properly.
    There was way to many gears, it looked like it had a transmission within his chest. When that mechanism was originally brought in to Mattel it was in a way larger figure.
    They used the original Masters figure dimensions when they pitched the features within each figure. They used metal gears which were larger stronger and attempt failed as the plastic gears keep stripping. My guess is that the bended arm was articulated at the elbow so he could swing his mace in different positions. The arm was supposed to rotate 360 degrees by twisting his waist back and forth. That would have been a real cool feature. I goit this Information from Martin Arriola the Designer of Darius.

Snappy Threader
    Oh cool. I just saw this. Amazing stuff.