View Poll Results: Leotards in Clssics. Dou you like how they turn out?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can tell the difference, and I HATE how the final toys turned out.

79 53.38%
  • I can tell the difference, and I don't mind or I like how the final toys tuned out.

64 43.24%
  • I can't tell the difference between the prototypes and the final toys.

5 3.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leotards in Classics. Do you like how they turn out?

Leotards in Classics. Do you like how they turn out?

If it isn't obvious, the ladies are displayed in this order,
    FILMATION, PROTOTYPE, FINAL TOYS

The issue of how the Leotards on the ladies in classics have turned out has been an ongoing issue since Adora. This poll is to ask what you think of the situation so far. Many people seem to have differing opinions. What do you think? I think if this guy from an ebay auction can do it, mattel should also probably be able to handle it.
    Last edited by darkmoon766; September 18, 2013 at 12:06am.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    While they could be better, it's an insignificant thing to constantly complain about in my opinion. I consider myself SOMEWHAT of a hardcore PoP fan but mostly form the Filmation cartoon side of things. I love She-Ra Princess of Power. I only had 4 or 5 vintage dolls though. Still love em! Screw the hate-ors.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I'm OK with it on Shokoti and Octavia, but with Glimmer it's blasphemous.
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    I hate the idea of them being leotards in the first place. I much prefer them as pointed skirts/dresses.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Can't do general rule, case by case. For Shokoti and Octavia it works. Glimmer has pants over her legs, so perhaps there it could be different more pants/leotard end like shape. Everyone had pants/Leotard in Filmation because they wanted cut animation corners there... I do not necessarily want to everything be carbon copy of Filmation.

Tallstar version is not used anymore, is it? It did not sit right.

I can clearly see the difference between the prototype leotards and the weird looking skirt "things" they actual figures are wearing.

I hope Glimmer gets an 11th hour correction thanks to POWER CON and that from now on MATTEL design sticks close to what the FOUR HORSEMEN design in the first place.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I can tell the differences, and don't really care....

Leotards are like sooo 80's.

I don't know, I mean you're talking about a design team that gave us 7 Blastic figures among 90+ that weren't, reversed Stinkor's Forearms for WOW factor, and decided Clawful's mace was so COOL! Cool enough to make it the same color, and put it in a weapons pack over say a Purple He-Man shield for Skeletor or something....something we've never had in MOTU....to my knowledge.

But about the skirts....I'm fine with the skirts, however I think Tallstar is an assed up looking figure anyway, so....I can't make the comparison with her, because the whole figure just looks bad.

Do I understand why they can't get it right?
    No.

Does it bother me though?
    No.

In short, I'd rather have the skirts than have those ****** non articulated thighs because they did leotards instead of skirts, we already lost the damn boot cut, we don't need to loose thigh articulation too. I'm fine with the skirts.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    i had no idea this was a ongoing issue, the final toys look perfect to my eyes even though i'm not a fan of POP

I care about characters where it makes sense. Glimmer's whole look changes, as did Adora, Octavia, etc. I end up cutting them down anyway, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Amen for this poll. I hate, hate, hate (and I don't use that word lightly) what keeps happening to our female characters in MOTUC.

The comparison pics speak VOLUMES.

(Though I don't think Tallstar quite has the same issue as the others, FYI)

If they're not willing to actually make leotards for these ladies, then they should make real skirts. The skirts on Frosta and Castaspella look good to me (as well as solving the flat rump problem), and I'm beginning to think I'd rather see Glimmer in an actual skirt. There's precedent for that in the original figure. I'm less interested in these figures looking exactly like their Filmation counterparts than I am in owning an attractive, well-designed, thoroughly-detailed and nicely-executed figure. At the end of the day, that's what matters to me.

I can tell the difference but honestly I prefer the skirts to the leotards.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    I'm OK with it on Shokoti and Octavia, but with Glimmer it's blasphemous.
    Took the words right out of my mouth- I know earlier leotards like Tallstar did not impress, but lots of the male figures came out just fine with leotard/ trunks as a feature.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

The picture you posted should be the one sent to Scott and Ruben on the Matty forms. I am not okay with the final product, it changes the entire body form/sculpt. Plus it Glimmer's case it kind of gives the illusion of a manly bulge, which is horrendus on a female figure. The pointy pizza slice looking thing on Octavia is just as bad.

It drives me crazy. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if the prototypes weren't so awesome and gave me false hope with a proper depiction of the character. I actually pose the Sword of Protection in front of Adora's crotch to hide her diaper.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    They could improve for sure, but Im fine with it. Im happy with the new adaptation on a few of the characters.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

I can tell the difference, but it doesn't phase me.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I feel like op is almost forcing an opinion by the way the poll is phrased, but I chose I can tell, but I'm ok.

Whereas I couldnt argue that there isnt a big difference between some prototypes & the final product, and it is strange that their seems to be an issue with why...

I like the skirts. They're skirts. I actually prefer skirts to leotards, at least inasmuch as the POP ladies are concerned.

Now, I feel that the issue with Tallstar's crotch piece, since it isnt a skirt but a poorly executed leotard crotch piece is a different situation. Frankly I would have rather had a skirt on Tallstar than the leotard since teh execution wasn't so great.

So in her case yes, I agree with what's being said or implied here. Though it isnt a huge deal to me anyway, but she looks better with the prototype than what we eventually got.

But people who keep calling "Skirts" "Grannypanties"? Nah, I do see that. I could see that if they were supposed to be leotards. And I dont mean originally were. I mean if those skirts were executed and said to be leotards, then no, clearly they are skirts and that is weird.

But they look like skirts, and while different than the original concept, I prefer. But I feel most people seem to think they are supposed to be leotards, or wanted leotards. If you want those, cool, I get it, and no you didnt get that.

But if you think that Mattel is trying to imply that these ladies are wearing leotards, no you are incorrect. I am pretty certain that they have called them skirts in the past, starting with Adora.

And I like the skirts. I dont like bad leotards, like with Tallstar, but it's minimal importantce to me and not even that bad anyway.

Honestly, this doesn't bother me at all. Octavia, Glimmer...nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned. Now, if they "fix" it, that's great. There will always be another issue to fret over.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I can tell the difference and I really don't care...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Amen for this poll. I hate, hate, hate (and I don't use that word lightly) what keeps happening to our female characters in MOTUC.

The comparison pics speak VOLUMES.

(Though I don't think Tallstar quite has the same issue as the others, FYI)
    This, completely this ^

I can see the difference, but I don't much care. The figures still do the stuff I want 'em to in the long run. Only one that bothers me in terms of looks is Tallstar, since her legs are kinda far down there. The others are just changed from leotards to skirts (in my eyes) and that suits me fine.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I can tell the difference, and yes it does bother me.

They did it right for Captain Glenn, so why cannot that be replicated? Was the knowledge lost in a cataclysm?

They can manage it with the male figures. Icarius, Snout Spout, King Hiss...etc.

I think all it would need is just to be shaped a bit. I understand that with the figure design the leotard piece would not be solid piece, but if they just curved the leotard piece a bit it would look better. That is what they did well with Captain Glenn, it has some shape and curve that suggests that it is a bodysuit type piece.

I know some people think that it has been changed to a "skirt"... but really it has not. What skirt looks like a triangle flap? She-ra has a skirt...Castaspella has a skirt. Netossa has a skirt. All of those figures look great, not just because the outfit is accurate to media, but because they were designed to be wearing a skirt. There is no question, when you look at Castaspella, or Catra, that they are wearing a skirt. Adora, Octavia, Glimmer, etc, however, these figures were not sculpted or designed as wearing skirts. They were sculpted and designed to resemble the Filmation appearance, and that was wearing leotards. However the leotard is being executed poorly, not consciously changed to be a skirt. Because the time is not being taken to shape and curve the piece it ends up looking like a strange flap. A poor skirt at best.

If the Glimmer figure was really designed to be wearing a skirt, why would she not have a skirt similar to Castaspella? Or Netossa? I just don't feel like I am seeing a delberate change, like someone is saying "leotards are stupid, put them in skirts". I feel like I am seeing an effort that is falling short of what they are basing the outfit on.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I voted for hate.

I don't care much either way but in the end these just don't look like the filmation style and they should.

Are they designed this way for articulation? Or necessity?

I'm happy to grt them, and admittedly not a huge POP fan but I feel the one-piece/leotard look is best.

God forbid this was a design issue on the MOTU figures then itd be problematic....
    POP...no big deal.
    As far as it not "being an issue", wrong; it is!
    Again, if there was a design change that changed the look of the figures for MOTU fanboys would be all over it.
    As far as it affecting the articulation again i point to MOTU...Snout Spout, Mannie, Sky High...even Bow. They all have fitted trunks that do not prohibit articulation.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA