Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Malaysia? Taiwan? What is this?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Thunderkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    314

    Malaysia? Taiwan? What is this?

    Hi all,

    I'm not too sure if this has been posted before, if it has, please merge it with the appropriate thread!

    I've noticed on the vintage boards people mentioning the place of origin of their MOTU figures, like Mexico, Taiwan for example. Is there a specific reason for this? other than it being a different country how does it affect the figure? were there variations, or is it simply that this qualifies as a variation? does it affect their value? do some tend to last longer from one country than from another?

    Apologies if this seems like a n00b question, but it has me intrigued!
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

    Chicagoland He-Fan or She-Raver? Join the NEW Horde at The Fright Zone! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...php?groupid=88
    Check out my band, CRUSADER http://crusaderwarmachine.bandcamp.c...rd-into-battle

  2. #2
    Court Magician Jayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Good ol' South Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Most Taiwan figures have soft squishy heads, while others like Mexico have hard plastic painted heads. I think Italy or France had Some rarer version with darker paints and armor. I know Leo toys was the Italian versions and some of those are really rare. Do a search on here or google Leo Faker, you'll see the difference.
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

  3. #3
    Court Magician PetezorIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayskull View Post
    Most Taiwan figures have soft squishy heads, while others like Mexico have hard plastic painted heads. I think Italy or France had Some rarer version with darker paints and armor. I know Leo toys was the Italian versions and some of those are really rare. Do a search on here or google Leo Faker, you'll see the difference.
    Leo was from India.
    This is a great part about collecting MOTU. Their are literally hundreds of different variants. They were manufactured all over the world, and some are extremely rare.
    I'm a variant collector and at a guess would have 500+ variations in my collection, so once you start you can't stop haha.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Thunderkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by PetezorIII View Post
    Leo was from India.
    This is a great part about collecting MOTU. Their are literally hundreds of different variants. They were manufactured all over the world, and some are extremely rare.
    I'm a variant collector and at a guess would have 500+ variations in my collection, so once you start you can't stop haha.
    Good grief! well now i'm super intrigued! I'll have to have a nose around the interwebs, but thanks for this insight!


    (after 2 minutes on Google)

    Wow! That Leo Faker is well... weird! but very cool! the armor looks more of a red color, and he comes with Skeletor's Havoc staff? and what's with the Robin style eyewear?

    So obviously Mattel gave the green light for this, or did they? I'm intrigued as to why there are these regional differences?
    Last edited by Thunderkill; September 20, 2013 at 11:08am.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

    Chicagoland He-Fan or She-Raver? Join the NEW Horde at The Fright Zone! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...php?groupid=88
    Check out my band, CRUSADER http://crusaderwarmachine.bandcamp.c...rd-into-battle

  5. #5
    Heroic Podcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    1,484
    I think MOTU got so popular so fast in the early 80s that Mattel started pushing them out as fast as possible, signing contracts with factories all over the world as fast as the ink would dry. This led to a lack of oversight, which led to gaps in the 'unified' overall look, resulting in many of these variations.

    Just my opinion. Yet another fun part of the amazingness that is MOTU!
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

  6. #6
    Court Magician PetezorIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderkill View Post
    Good grief! well now i'm super intrigued! I'll have to have a nose around the interwebs, but thanks for this insight!


    (after 2 minutes on Google)

    Wow! That Leo Faker is well... weird! but very cool! the armor looks more of a red color, and he comes with Skeletor's Havoc staff? and what's with the Robin style eyewear?

    So obviously Mattel gave the green light for this, or did they? I'm intrigued as to why there are these regional differences?
    The Leo Faker from India has Orange Skeletor accessories and the painted face is what makes him really cool. Very rare, only a handful known to exist. The crown jewel in my variant collection.
    These are the countries where figures were manufactured
    Argentina
    USA
    Mexico
    Spain
    France
    Venezuela
    Greece
    Brazil
    India
    Hong Kong
    China
    Taiwan
    Malaysia
    Now most figures from each country have a slight variation, but some have significant differences. Example Leo Faker, Top toys Kobra Kahn, Estrella Merman

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by PetezorIII View Post
    The Leo Faker from India has Orange Skeletor accessories and the painted face is what makes him really cool. Very rare, only a handful known to exist. The crown jewel in my variant collection.
    These are the countries where figures were manufactured
    Argentina
    USA
    Mexico
    Spain
    France
    Venezuela
    Greece
    Brazil
    India
    Hong Kong
    China
    Taiwan
    Malaysia
    Now most figures from each country have a slight variation, but some have significant differences. Example Leo Faker, Top toys Kobra Kahn, Estrella Merman
    You forgot Italy!

    LEO Faker has the same red eyes as Faker Prototype, unlike any other Faker variant.


    Faker PROTOTYPE


    LEO Faker
    Last edited by Mantisaur82; September 21, 2013 at 10:06am.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •