Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 years later

10 years later

I STILL remember being very excited for the pilot...I knew cam clarke and new he could do a great job as he-man, so the show already had that going in favor.

Then the intro started. awesome. First act? Awesome. We got some nice new history on the backstory of these characters. Had time to get used to the designs and the fact that every bad guy was the size of the Hulk. Then act two hit...and I started to loose interest. Nothing but a bunch of twirling weapons and posturing that just screamed 'this isn't your fathers he-man, we can battle now'. And I don't think the pilot picked up much from there. Even the transformation sequence looked cheaper compared to the filmation one, if only because filmation had alot more effects flare than the more simple 2000 version.

Thankfully, the series picked up a little around episode 4...but it did get off to a slow start.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I STILL remember being very excited for the pilot...I knew cam clarke and new he could do a great job as he-man, so the show already had that going in favor.

Then the intro started. awesome. First act? Awesome. We got some nice new history on the backstory of these characters. Had time to get used to the designs and the fact that every bad guy was the size of the Hulk. Then act two hit...and I started to loose interest. Nothing but a bunch of twirling weapons and posturing that just screamed 'this isn't your fathers he-man, we can battle now'. And I don't think the pilot picked up much from there. Even the transformation sequence looked cheaper compared to the filmation one, if only because filmation had alot more effects flare than the more simple 2000 version.

Thankfully, the series picked up a little around episode 4...but it did get off to a slow start.
    Well, not every "Evil Warrior" was the size of the Hulk. Tri-Klops, Trap Jaw, Merman, Stinkor, and Evil Lyn were fairly normal in size.

That said, there was definitely too much weapons twirling in the first few episodes but thankfully, that died down soon after. I loved the sword fight between Skeletor, He-Man, and Randor in the "Underworld" episode. Unlike Filmation, King Randor actually fought and Skeletor didn't run away.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; September 21, 2013 at 11:19pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Chewer of Trollans
    I still love this series. I watch old episodes now and then and think they are still thrilling. While I can still be surprised by the interesting backgrounds in Filmation, I am never thrilled.
    The most intelligent commentary on the problem with this show I ever heard was on this board and I don't remember who said it. The orger noted that He-Man played MVP on the team behind Man-at-Arms for most of the series. I agree. But I think they might have made that better with their plans to snakemanitize (made that up on the spot) Man-at-Arms.
    Still: great animation. Engaging story. I think some work on He-Man (way too snarky/adolescent acting after his transformation) would have made this the greatest show of all time.

Then the intro started. awesome.
    Though with the Pilot-movie on Aug 16th, there was no "intro" really. Just the title-logo for couple seconds on screen as the movie began.

But couple weeks after that when we got the first three episodes and actual intro for the show, that was pretty cool.

It was an event, my brothers and friend watching with me, we all loved the premiere, and thought it was so much better than Transformers Armada that premiered around the same time. Although it had it's follies, we were in love with this show.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Oh, I remember sitting with friends watching the premiere and we loved it. We thought it had very nice animation. Yes, different than Filmation, but that was to be expected. One thing I always liked about this show was its continuity.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I remember i knew it would be coming and i wont be home when it will air so recorded it on VHS and man did i watch that video often from that on.

I loved the knew look(for the most parts...never liked the new Sorceress egypt look or skinny teenage Adam or Battle Cats little face plate instead of impressive helmet....) Man At Arms arm canon, Skeletors swords, imposing Stratos, wicked Evil Lyn and new improved Sy-Klone i loved his 200X look i will never forget those moments when i saw all that for the first time.

The first season was´t as strong as i hoped for but once the second season started i was totally hooked. I know a lot of people blamed the Snake Men for the cancelation but i really liked them and i was looking so forward to Hordak, Adora and the rest of the Evil Horde.

It was a sad day for me when the show was cancelled.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I loved the knew look(for the most parts...never liked the new Sorceress egypt look or skinny teenage Adam or Battle Cats little face plate instead of impressive helmet....)
    The Egypt thing spoke of change for the sake of change. I didn't like it either. Also with Battle Cats claustrophobic looking mini helmet. But I had no problem with Scrawny adam. helped sell the disguise. something filmation never bothered with.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

But I had no problem with Scrawny adam. helped sell the disguise. something filmation never bothered with.
    I liked this for that reason as well. At least it wasn't so easy telling that Adam and He-Man were one and the same.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

At the time it was the first thing I bothered to tape in a LONG time. Heck, I had forgotten how to work the VCR in terms of taping things! I think I was a bit off, but I got what I wanted. It was exciting, though of course the toys are always where it's at for me. That was taking the most of my attention. Still, I caught the show when I could...but as usual at the time, if I wasn't taping it, I was missing it. That and didn't they toss around it's timeslot in the standard move to kill a show?

I didn't watch the full thing until WAY later when I got the DVDs. The first season was pretty dead for me...too much mindless action. Stories were interesting, but the dialogue and action were boring and standard. Season 2 picked it WAY up, and grabbed my attention. The action and dialogue took a big step up - then they canceled it. As usual! Whenever something hits it's stride they either have to kill it or the interest dies.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

The Egypt thing spoke of change for the sake of change. I didn't like it either. Also with Battle Cats claustrophobic looking mini helmet. But I had no problem with Scrawny adam. helped sell the disguise. something filmation never bothered with.
    That´s true i never felt it was right for her since Grayskull isn´t Egypt at all, Veenas design made more sense but for Teela-Na the bare midriff would´t be right

And Adam…well...

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I liked this for that reason as well. At least it wasn't so easy telling that Adam and He-Man were one and the same.
    With scrawny Adam He-Man felt not real for me just a shell. Mini/DC Comics and FILMATION Adam had the built and the maturity but he disguised it. He pretended to be lazy or not trained or simply not interested in fighting sure he was´t as strong as He-Man that was magical i know but don´t forget He-Man also had the vest!
    Plus Adam never went into real fights with the others. He disappeared most of the time before it started. In 200X Adam was one of the Masters but still disappeared and wanted to be as value and respected as all the others but could´t since he had to hide and transform.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

200X is still better than classic and filmation....

I love the 200X !! My love for motu restarted thanks to the 200X !!! THEY RULES!!!

Filmation are for kids....

200x was definately a "step up" in terms of the story line, but there is NO comparison with the original he-man series...it's just classic.

To say 200x is better.. i just cant. Really, I'm trying, but no...they are two DIFFERENT series...BUT...

The changes must go on in the same direction to make MOTU successful and immortal like DC and Marvel Super Heroes.

Mattel is no joke, but at some point, they need to take some pointers (or steal some writers) from DC and Marvel.
    Last edited by Pyre; October 26, 2013 at 01:04am.

Well, I think the ratio of good episodes to bad episodes is definitely better for MYP He-Man. Outside the well-known fan favorite episodes I really cannot recommend any Filmation episode to someone who hasn't grown up with He-Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Well, I think the ratio of good episodes to bad episodes is definitely better for MYP He-Man. Outside the well-known fan favorite episodes I really cannot recommend any Filmation episode to someone who hasn't grown up with He-Man...
    True...for adults....but my daughter and my girl friends sons LOVE the original He-Man and She_Ra (featuring He-Man) series....even more than the 200x (even though myself as a 33 year old adult love the 200x series). Its just great for building memories....much like all of us have experienced.

Heroic Warrior
    I was in college at the time. I remember how surreal it was that there was actually a new He-Man show on. I vaguely remember eating dinner with my roommate and watching some of it. I always liked
    the idea of the show more than the show itself. We would turn it on occasionally after that, but never paid very close attention.

As a lifelong He-Man fan, I was so excited for the 200X series. However, it fell short of all my expectations. I was hoping it would be on the level of writing as the Justice League series or Batman TAS, but it wasn't.

IMO, the series is mostly a flash in the pan, a nice attempt, but nothing more.

There were a few improvements, of course. I enjoyed He-Man's updated look, but his character never lived up to his reputation as the title guy the way he did in the Filmation series. He was soundly beaten by Tuvar and Badra and held captive by a pile of viles for the longest time. (So much for his incredible strength.) Even in his initial appearance, after a few minutes of "WOW" factor, he is in trouble again. The origin was terrible. We never heard a decent reason about why Adam was chosen of all the people on Eternia to be He-Man. We were supposed to be "Wowed" by He-Man, but the writers were too busy showing off how powerful Evil-Lyn was and how well Tri-Klops could fight and twirl his weapon.

Also, I hated what 200X did with the Power of Grayskull. In Filmation, it was amorphous and mysterious, something we couldn't totally comprehend like the One Ring in LOTR. In 200X, it was a crystal orb, a standard fantasy trope.

Sadly, I was most disappointed by the portrayal of the Sorceress. Many fans have bemoaned her treatment of being a weak character in Filmation, and I thought she'd get a much better treatment in 200X. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Except for in a flashback episode, she weakened after one spell in most episodes. Also, her versatility was nonexistent. At least in Filmation, she used various spells to protect Grayskull. In 200X we kept seeing that SAME force field created around Grayskull whenever a bad guy attacked. Predictably, the SAME force field FELL again and again.

Additionally, in Filmation, the Sorceress was a light for goodness. People looked to her for help and guidance. In 200X, she was a "secret" character and couldn't talk to anyone besides Adam and MAA.

Overall, I think 200X was weak because it didn't let He-Man shine. When King Hiss was released (one of the truly good storylines in the series) I thought it would finally be He-Man to defeat him, thus proving how needed He-Man is to protect Eternia. Wrong. Zodac defeats Hiss without much aid from anyone else. We're left with the feeling that we could just as easily rely on Zodac as we could He-Man. I did like the way Hiss soundly defeated Skeletor and everyone else and only ran into his first real competition when he faced the Sorceress. It's too bad the writers didn't elongate the fight even more because I loved that part of the series. I also enjoyed how He-Man and the Sorceress teamed up to defeat Serpos, but again I was disappointed that she erected the same shield to stun the serpent god.

For the most part, 200X felt like an imitation of Filmation. The places where it shined were in those instances where they did things that Filmation did not, such as release King Hiss, explore the Faceless One, mutate Webstor and have a truly righteous battle between dragons atop Castle Grayskull.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I remember taping the three part movie when it debuted and taping each episode, yes there was way too much weapon twirling early on-that was annyoing. I was buying the figures as well, eventually sold everything 200X except for the DVDs, the show is still fun to watch but the toys never grew on me, i felt like i was buying them because 'i had to' or because i have the originals, did keep a spin-blade skeletor because the black colors were cool. but its still a decent series but wont match my love/nostalgia for the original, doesnt even come close-not by a long shot.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    For the most part, 200X felt like an imitation of Filmation. The places where it shined were in those instances where they did things that Filmation did not, such as release King Hiss, explore the Faceless One, mutate Webstor and have a truly righteous battle between dragons atop Castle Grayskull.
    I think MYP tried to address the criticisms that fans had with Filmation (He-Man is so over-the-top powerful nothing is a threat, a lack of continuity, origins or history, lack of focus on secondary characters, Adam looks like He-Man, too much comedy with Orko and Cringer, slapstick, bumbling villains and one-sided battles) and wound up making all new problems--the main one was that He-Man lacked the charisma of the Filmation version.

MYP is pretty much the anti-Filmation, although not to the extent of Jetlag's He-Man cartoon.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I've never been interested enough in the 200x toys to even pick one up, but I have to say the cartoon is great. I didn't even know about it back in the day, but it's great entertainment and I think holds up well. Good pace and story writing for the most part. I don't like some of the updated looks (especially Grayskull) overall a great show.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I've never been interested enough in the 200x toys to even pick one up, but I have to say the cartoon is great. I didn't even know about it back in the day, but it's great entertainment and I think holds up well. Good pace and story writing for the most part. I don't like some of the updated looks (especially Grayskull) overall a great show.
    I think you're selling yourself short by not buying the figures. While they don't have the articulation and some are far to gimmicky , the 4 Horsemens sculpts on many of the originals are great.
    This is me wishing Mattel didn't hate me.

2002 show had some really good stuff, such as ellaborate storylines, nice fantasy sets and cinematic score, but I would never say its as good as the original. One member mentioned that he wouldnt be able to seriously show any adolescent person an episode of original HeMan. Well, then show it to an avid or passionate fantasy fan who isnt familiar with the cartoon (if such exists). The original heMan has this eerie, sometimes creepy, and very mystical Sword and Sorcery feel to it. The world of it is very unique and rich in mythology.Perhaps only Conan The Destroyer and to some extent Willow posses the same feel of the world, which is an unknown land of deserted magical temples, dragons and mystical forces and creatures which are never fully explained. The backgrounds and designs add to that feel, and its a world not fully explored with so much unknown. I love that, i love that world it created and the eerieness and true feel of a mystical land of magic and sword that it has like no other fantasy story onscreen. And its not nostalgia speaking through me, because I grew up with NA, and I discovered the original series only about 13 years ago or so. The 2002 I like a lot, but it (of course) doesnt have that dark, unknown feel to it, and it resembles a other superhero cartoons at the time, good cartoons, such as Justice League, but other cartoons nonetheless.

Widget
    I remember taping it from the begining at, like, 2AM in the morning on Cartoon Network (it is to be expected of a coca-cola addicted college nightowl in their 20s) and eventually intentionally staying awake and disrupting my already fragile sleeping pattern just so I could watch the conclusion, "Awaken the Serpent", on GMTV. Overall I did enjoy the series, but it fell into filler territory fairly quickly, and I was so hoping that they would play with Teela possibly knowing Adam's secret (since she correctly susses it out in one episode) and they took way too long developing other mysteries. The Snake-Men storyline didnt need to cover the brunt of a full season, I didnt think there was much to spread it out and it peaked with the two-part story establishing everything about it...it felt dragged on for toyline purposes, which is a shame, because the first three episodes of the season where it's the regular ol' He-Man status quoe are pretty good and build characters up.

I dunno, considering the brilliant use of the Hoarde in the Greyskull origins episode, I feel like we wasted a whole year with the Snake Men and could have easily spent it plugging the toys and showcasing the characters I think we'd all prefer seeing given our universal love of She-Ra.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; December 31, 2013 at 07:36pm.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Just started rewatching MYP and for all its shortcomings, and childish gags to appeal to a young audience, it was a great cartoon and an amazing reimagining of the franchaise. I'm so glad it was given a chance, even if it fell short of a third season. Maybe one day, we will get new media again.

I liked how secondary characters got a lot more attention in the MYP series. Especially two of my favorites, Sy-Klone and Roboto. I liked the idea of the Masters being a team, and He-Man wasn't punch-an-asteroid-to-dust strong. I also liked how MAA was the leader, which was something I guess would have changed later in the series after the Snake Men take him and He-Man has to step up as leader.

What I really wanted to see was the Horde, of course. I wonder if Mattel could pick up after all this time with that 40th episode, with some direct-to-DVD movies.