Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 years later

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I wonder if Mattel could pick up after all this time with that 40th episode, with some direct-to-DVD movies.
    Unfortunately that is very unlikely.
    I think Mattel sees the 2002-line as not the big success they hoped.
    Heck, in MOTUC line, they cut down 200x elements like extra heads on figures, even though there are fans that liked having the option.

Plus making a direct-to-DVD would have to be financially profitable. But based on the DVD-sales for both Filmation He-Man and MYP He-Man, the market
    is somewhat small.

I was afraid of that. I guess they would still want to bury it. Doesn't give me a lot of hope that a live-action movie will ever get off the ground, either.

As someone who grew up with Filmation, I will say that this was the better overall show in terms of story and scope. I loved having continuity and learning about the characters' backgrounds. If it had lasted longer, it could have been epic and reinvented the franchise. It was wonderful not to watch the same sequences over and over again as in Filmation. It was great seeing more characters than just the central ones from the first series. I was one who didn't mind all the twirling Japanese-style fight scenes, as I was just glad there were actual action sequences in this show. I'm also glad the cheeseball factor was toned down for the series. Too bad this gem got cut short before it had a chance to really come into its own.

There were a few things within this series that I didn't like, though. Castle Grayskull was a step back from the Filmation series. I also thought all of the enormous shadowy dankness of the new show could have been brightened up a little like Filmation, as well as the enormous body shapes of some guys lowered, such as Ram Man or Moss Man. I didn't care for the new look of the Sorceress. I also missed the unique look of Eternia from the Filmation series.

Overall, though, I'd rather watch the MYP series than the Filmation one, but they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Overall, I think 200X was weak because it didn't let He-Man shine. When King Hiss was released (one of the truly good storylines in the series) I thought it would finally be He-Man to defeat him, thus proving how needed He-Man is to protect Eternia. Wrong. Zodac defeats Hiss without much aid from anyone else. We're left with the feeling that we could just as easily rely on Zodac as we could He-Man.
    Just catching up on this thread. LOTS of good comments.

I think it was pretty clear that He-Man was NOT meant to be as great as he was in the Filmation version up front, but rather, he was supposed to be on the journey to be great over the course of the series. I believe even Hsss tells He-Man that he's just a poor copy of King Grayskull. That's why he gets whupped so many times and Zodac has to come in to save the day. To me, this approach to storytelling is much more interesting to me, and I'm sure down the line, He-Man would have come into his own. Unfortunately, the show was killed off prematurely.

On that note, you can also count me in the crowd of considering the 200x version as being BETTER.. no VASTLY BETTER... no 1000x AROUND THE MOON BETTER than the Filmation version. I watch the Filmation version with my 3 year old, who just loves it dearly, but that's just it... to me, the Filmation version is for kids, and the 200x is for an older audience. However, I will give credit to Filmation for setting up most of the mythology for the MOTU universe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Unfortunately that is very unlikely.
    Plus making a direct-to-DVD would have to be financially profitable.
    Why not a kickstarter? If there's anything that Veronica Mars taught us is that we can make things happen if we front the cash. I would LOVE to see the 200x series nicely wrapped up in a 2hr movie.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Why not a kickstarter? If there's anything that Veronica Mars taught us is that we can make things happen if we front the cash. I would LOVE to see the 200x series nicely wrapped up in a 2hr movie.
    Well, even if the people who worked at MYP at the time on the property would be eager and willing to do it. It's still a licensed property that needs Mattel's approval.

It all starts with how Mattel views it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Well, even if the people who worked at MYP at the time on the property would be eager and willing to do it. It's still a licensed property that needs Mattel's approval.

It all starts with how Mattel views it.
    Yes, this totally makes sense, and I'm used to this type of consensus process. I would start by having a casual conversation with a stakeholder from Mattel to understand the potential level of support for this type of effort. assuming there's a good chance for support, I would reapproach the staff involved with the MYP show. Assuming that went well, would then pitch to mattel and have a kickstarter project. of course, I don't have those direct contacts.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

I remember being excited for this, and for the most part, I did enjoy it. At the same time, I also thought (back then) that it seemed a little pretentious and almost ashamed of the original series (things like the anime-ish weapon triwling, not as much humor, Orko being more in the background), though with a more mature outlook now, I don't feel the same way. It may have been burn-out from the 90's when the few 80's properties that came back had to be "extreme". (Thank goodness for "Beast Wars" for being an exception).

For some reason, I didn't watch it much in the second season. I also lost interest in the action figure line early on when figures like Teela got short-packed and instantly became marked-up collectables and variants clogged the toy aisles.

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar
    I can watch all the MYP episodes over and over again. An amazing cartoon.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    I love the 200X cartoon in many ways. I think it was a great step up, BUT there were definitely some flaws.

PROS
    - He-Man wasn't uber powerful. I know this is a flaw in some eyes, but to me this was a must. If anything I hope this trend continues and in the next iteration he is only maybe twice as strong as the strongest human body-builder. It's the Superman complex... when he is as super-indestructible it takes all the drama away, and it makes nearly every other character on the show basically useless. There is no need for any other Masters, and the bad guys are all jokes.
    - The villains are a more credible threat. Again, compared to the Filmation version in 200x the villains atleast put up a bit of a fight.
    - The Masters are more developed. ram-man, MAA, Teela and the gang are actually heroes in their own right. This ofcourse was not capitalized with the toy line, since we ended up with dozens of He-Man/skelly variants but no King Randor, Marlena or any number of great characters! The one exception to all this is ofcourse Marlena who got WAY more development in Filmation.
    - Story Arcs, backgrounds and generally stronger character development. Aside from a handful of the 130 original episodes we rarely got to see any real character growth. Not so in 200X.

YMMV
    - Designs. I'm still not a fan of the overly exaggerated proportions of 200x. The actual design elements are cool, and I much prefer the slightly muted color palette, but the Filmation toon with it's Naturalistic proportions works better for me.

Cons
    Ambiance - I think that the Filmation toon had a certain charm to it. There were remnants of some of the 1960-70s cartoon innocence to it, which you just could NOT do in 2002 and be taken seriously, but there was other stuff too. 200x was always trying too hard to be cool, with Anime style kung fu moves and it just didn't take a minute to breathe and let us absorb this new alien landscape. In Filmation you'd have whole episodes about the forest around Grayskull or skeletor blocking an underground river. I guess the issue is that in Filmation, Eternia itself was more of a character and got more development.
    Technology - Techno swords, robots, etc... A lot of the "magic" of the technology was sort of lost in 200X. Again trying to be cool and edgy robbed the show of some it's mystery and charm.

IMO the new Thundercats was perfect in how it managed to blend fantasy, wonder, character development, modern animation and a good story. Ofcourse it only lasted 1 season, so for whatever that's worth. But I'd love to see the same type of tempered approach used with MOTU.

Anyway, just my $0.02

I remember coming home drunk from the bar and putting it on Cartoon Network just in time to catch the first three episodes. I was impressed by everything except Adam's voice. He sounded like a girl.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.