Thread: A Piece of History - Images from the MOTU Newspaper Strips

A Piece of History - Images from the MOTU Newspaper Strips

Hello all !

In my search for the rare MOTU newspaper strips, I found some old and new concepts, Filmation influences and even, curiosity designs...

Let's begin with the very first arc - Day of the Comet - this is an all-looking Filmation story, maybe an old script the was abandoned after Princess of Power creation...my guess is a few concepts were planned to be the third MOTU cartoon season...it's not a coincidence the artists involved in this project were infact part of Filmation crew at time. Maybe James Eatock and/or Jukka could help us with this.
    On the other hand, just like mini comics, it's clear some characters and vehicles were there only to help Mattel to sell toys !

Well, in the first strips we can see the Filmation influences in the Skeletor's ship the Collector and the Eternos Palace...
    86-08-05.png

In second strip, we can clearly see two characters from later season two - Spikor and Two Bad - in their Filmation styles !
    86-08-14.png

The third comic strip, we see the later Mattel's vehicle Laser Bolt (just like in Xmas Special), Filmation Snake Mountain and again Filmation Spikor and Two Bad !
    86-08-20.png

Here, two more characters from later season two joined to the group: (Filmation) Sy-Klone and Roboto:
    86-09-02.png
    86-09-04.png

Here, an original Filmation character: Granita
    86-09-11.png

And here, another Filmation character: Shadow Weaver (next to Filmation Hordak)!
    86-08-25.png

Hey, look Mantenna and Leech (with Horde Troopers) in their Filmation styles !
    86-09-13.png

Some things never changes...Skeletor vs. Hordak !
    86-10-10.png
    86-10-11.png

Well, I have all b&w strips released here in Brazil from all 14 MOTU arcs publicated at time and I will try to update this thread soon....maybe a view of Kuduk Ungol(?) and the others retired Sorceress...

See you next time !
    Last edited by Monteeg; September 20, 2013 at 08:22pm.

Heroic Warrior
    This is great to see, sir - many thanks for showing it to us. I remember seeing these cartoons in English in the newspapers when I was a kid.

Might it be possible to see the rest of this one - the Day of the Comet? I think I recall it - but I can't quite be sure as it's a lot of years ago!

Again - thanks so much for sharing. It's a piece of our past!

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Hello all !

In my search for the rare MOTU newspaper strips, I found some old and new concepts, Filmation influences and even, curiosity designs...

Let's begin with the very first arc - Day of the Comet - this is an all-looking Filmation story, maybe an old script the was abandoned after Princess of Power creation...my guess is a few concepts were planned to be the third MOTU cartoon season...it's not a coincidence the artists involved in this project were infact part of Filmation crew at time. Maybe James Eatock and/or Jukka could help us with this.
    On the other hand, just like mini comics, it's clear some characters and vehicles were there only to help Mattel to sell toys !

Well, in the first strips we can see the Filmation influences in the Skeletor's ship the Collector and the Eternos Palace...
    86-08-05.png

In second strip, we can clearly see two characters from later season two - Spikor and Two Bad - in their Filmation styles !
    86-08-14.png

The third comic strip, we see the later Mattel's vehicle Laser Bolt (just like in Xmas Special), Filmation Snake Mountain and again Filmation Spikor and Two Bad !
    86-08-20.png

Here, two more characters from later season two joined to the group: (Filmation) Sy-Klone and Roboto:
    86-09-02.png
    86-09-04.png

Here, an original Filmation character: Granita
    86-09-11.png

And here, another Filmation character: Shadow Weaver (next to Filmation Hordak)!
    86-08-25.png

Hey, look Mantenna and Leech (with Horde Troopers) in their Filmation styles !
    86-09-13.png

Some things never changes...Skeletor vs. Hordak !
    86-10-10.png
    86-10-11.png

Well, I have all b&w strips released here in Brazil from all 14 MOTU arcs publicated at time and I will try to update this thread soon....maybe a view of Kuduk Ungol(?) and the others retired Sorceress...

See you next time !

Thanks for the words, Scriptor !

Yes !
    As Jukka said, we have almost complete first arc here !

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Here you can read the "He-Man and the Rock People" story-arc.

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=2033
    Thanks, Jukka; I wasn't aware that this was already posted (at least in one version) on the Org. Decent of you to point it out to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the words, Scriptor !

Yes !
    As Jukka said, we have almost complete first arc here !
    Thanks, Monteeg; I notice though, that what is already posted on the Org. does not quite tally with what you have produced here yourself (and I don't mean that it is in Portuguese!)
    Some of the panels don't match up at all - and I have a memory - admittedly a somewhat vague one after all these years - of a slightly different version I saw in the newspapers.

Am I right in thinking that there was a variant strip made up of more panels - which is like to the one you have posted above - and which differs from the one to which Jukka directed us?

I note that the phrase you use refers to an "almost" complete arc......

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    This is great to see, sir - many thanks for showing it to us. I remember seeing these cartoons in English in the newspapers when I was a kid.
    Scriptor, do you recall the name of the newspaper? If not, what was the name of the city or town in which you grew up? There were at least 8 US newspapers that carried the strip. One of them was the Los Angeles Herald Examiner.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Scriptor

I think some strips can range from newspaper to newspaper...
    I said it was 'almost' complete because I don't think it has the colored sundays strips...

Let's go on !

Here, I post part of the best arc story IMO. It's called 'Attack on Snake Mountain'.
    In the illustration I choose we can see He-Man when he became more powerful than he was...just like a God !
    Look how he resembles with King He-Man !

88-03-23.png

88-03-24.png

Please, notice he yells "I AM the Power" !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Scriptor, do you recall the name of the newspaper? If not, what was the name of the city or town in which you grew up? There were at least 8 US newspapers that carried the strip. One of them was the Los Angeles Herald Examiner.
    Sorry, your Hexcellency - I somehow missed this.

I'm British and was brought-up there (though I lived two years in Boston MA in my early twenties.) I first saw it in one of our national daily newspapers while at school; I think it was the Daily Express as my school let the boys read that one.

I shall have a trawl through the online archives and see what comes up. I'm sure that I've seen some more panels and dialogue than in this version posted here on the Org. If I remember correctly somebody sold a set a year or two back - perhaps on E-bay, and that refreshed my memory, too.

Not that it's really important - but it has piqued my curiosity....

Continuing with the amazing newspaper strips, one of the last stories brings me a nostalgic feeling....
    While Sorceress calls Orko to Grayskull, she leads him to a hidden chamber inside the old castle...
    There, she shows him images of former Sorceress, retired from age to age.
    Take a look, please:

90-08-16.png

In the next strip, the Sorceress reveals that Teela'Na arrived and became 'Sorceress' at age of fifteen...and at every five years, she needs to renew her oath !

90-08-17.png

It's amazing how close are both strips to 'Origin of the Sorceress' epic episode !

I really hope the staffs of these comic stories find a way to bring every strip to us, in much better quality than that one !!!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Sorry, your Hexcellency - I somehow missed this.

I'm British and was brought-up there (though I lived two years in Boston MA in my early twenties.) I first saw it in one of our national daily newspapers while at school; I think it was the Daily Express as my school let the boys read that one.

I shall have a trawl through the online archives and see what comes up. I'm sure that I've seen some more panels and dialogue than in this version posted here on the Org. If I remember correctly somebody sold a set a year or two back - perhaps on E-bay, and that refreshed my memory, too.

Not that it's really important - but it has piqued my curiosity....
    Splendid! Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Continuing with the amazing newspaper strips, one of the last stories brings me a nostalgic feeling....
    While Sorceress calls Orko to Grayskull, she leads him to a hidden chamber inside the old castle...
    Take a look, please:

90-08-16.png

In the next strip, the Sorceress reveals that Teela'Na arrived and became 'Sorceress' at age of fifteen...and at every five years, she needs to renew her oath !

90-08-17.png

It's amazing how close are both strips to 'Origin of the Sorceress' epic episode !

I really hope the staffs of these comic stories find a way to bring every strip to us, in much better quality than that one !!!
    Wonderful! Thanks for posting these.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Take a look, please:

90-08-16.png

90-08-17.png

Oh WOW!

Thank you so much for these!

Love learning more about the Sorceress!

Thanks Penny Dreadful and Jukka !

In 2003/04 we were all fascinated after watched the MYP cartoon Second Season, specially wonderful episodes like the (two parts) Rise of the Snake Men , History and Awaken the Serpent !
    Some of the Snake Men concepts we already knew when we read the mini comics but...

Chris Weber debuted in the second arc of MOTU strips, bringing to us an amazing full Snake Men saga !
    In only one story, he developed 'Snake Pit' and 'Serpos' conceps....and it works so fine !

Kobra Khan, Tung Lashor and Rattlor free King Hiss from his prision inside Snake Mountain and the leader of the SM tried to conquer Eternia again !

86-11-26.png

86-11-27.png

Then, King Hiss evokes new soldies (Snake Face and Sssqueeze) and release the legendary giant snake (Sarcedon) from Snake Mountain !

87-01-07.png

87-01-08.png

Again, like previous Rock People arc, I think this story would be introduced to us in an hypothetic Filmation Third Season...new characters and a brand new faction.