With Halloween on the horizon, I thought it would be a good time for a Most Frightening Movie thread.

But you can only choose one, and I think it would be fun to hear exactly why it was so frightening to you and for you to add funny, amusing or scary anecdotes.

I'll kick it off with WAR OF THE WORLDS -- and yeah, I'm talking about the original 1953 film version. Unlike most here on the board, I'm old enough to have seen it in the movie theater. To his everlasting shame, my brother took me to the Avalon Theater on 79th Street in Chicago to see what I will always remember as The #1 Most Frightening Movie I ever saw.

For me -- a five-year old boy -- the thing that terrified me was those long-necked flying saucers spewing out death rays. But the thing that REALLY terrified me was the stuttering kind of chainsaw sound they made while they were shooting. I can tell you I wasn't the only little boy blubbering and shrieking in the darkened theater on that day.

I kids you not when I tell you I had nightmares for weeks. The only good part was my mother grounding my brother for a month for taking me to see it.

Okay. Your turn.