Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the #1 Most Frightening Movie you ever saw and why?

Master of New Adventures!

What's the #1 Most Frightening Movie you ever saw and why?

With Halloween on the horizon, I thought it would be a good time for a Most Frightening Movie thread.

But you can only choose one, and I think it would be fun to hear exactly why it was so frightening to you and for you to add funny, amusing or scary anecdotes.

I'll kick it off with WAR OF THE WORLDS -- and yeah, I'm talking about the original 1953 film version. Unlike most here on the board, I'm old enough to have seen it in the movie theater. To his everlasting shame, my brother took me to the Avalon Theater on 79th Street in Chicago to see what I will always remember as The #1 Most Frightening Movie I ever saw.

For me -- a five-year old boy -- the thing that terrified me was those long-necked flying saucers spewing out death rays. But the thing that REALLY terrified me was the stuttering kind of chainsaw sound they made while they were shooting. I can tell you I wasn't the only little boy blubbering and shrieking in the darkened theater on that day.

I kids you not when I tell you I had nightmares for weeks. The only good part was my mother grounding my brother for a month for taking me to see it.

Okay. Your turn.

Spice World... I was dragged to Spice World in the theatre by an ex... and then when I was dating my wife, she rented it and made me sit through it a second time... shudder
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    What's the #1 Most Frightening Movie you ever saw and why?

So scary I don't even want to watch it...
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; September 26, 2013 at 06:31pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I will preface by saying I do NOT like horror movies. They give me too many recurring nightmares. With that said, the most terrifying movie I ever saw was "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" back in 2005. I still have nightmares on a weekly basis from watching that movie.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Then I guess that movie did its job.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I will preface by saying I do NOT like horror movies. They give me too many recurring nightmares. With that said, the most terrifying movie I ever saw was "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" back in 2005. I still have nightmares on a weekly basis from watching that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Then I guess that movie did its job.
    No kidding...and I did it all for a woman. lol.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

That's a tough one, especially since those old ones I grew up with don't effect me as much nowadays.

But...well I guess right off the top of my head: the TV movie "It." Steven King. My mom is a BIG Steven King fan, so I grew up with those books on the shelf (one of 'em on the end had one of those cymbal banging monkeys that always freaked me out). Then of course, she always caught the TV movies they made from his stories, and I caught them as well. It was a long time before I actually saw the whole thing, though. Back then I caught snippets as I came out of my room to see what all the screaming on the TV was about. I'd watch a few minutes, get horrified, then go back and continue whatever story I was playing out with my toys.

That one kept me awake for a LONG time! Even into my middle school years; it was a bad idea to remember that existed right when I was going to bed. It was scary for multiple reasons: the standard being the freaky Tim Curry clown Pennywise. But hey, clowns are a common fear, or at least they're cliche. The other level was one I sorta figured out through the years. It's that...well, it's the standard horror-story for kids, actually. The adults-don't-believe you thing. I hated that. No, I feared that. I dislike it now, but it scared the crap out of me back then, though I wasn't fully aware of it. The idea that your life is in danger and no one will believe you. Funny how that's a standard kid story horror - oh no kids, don't tell your parents! Parents never believe anything! What a lesson.

Now of course the other thing that bothered me was the fact that the scary crap followed them into adulthood. The gift that keeps on giving! No one believes you when you're a kid, and when you're an adult, you KNOW no one will believe you so you don't even try! Never mind the fact that they got the courage to face the demon-clown and take it down...it did the damage already. That and I never actually finished that movie until way later.

I haven't seen it in years, and I probably still won't. I guess I'm an adult now...but my brain can still run amuck and keep me awake at night. Best not to give it fuel.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I've seen thousands of scary movies, probably most that get listed as the "scariest movie of all time" but the one that probably scared me the most is Paranormal Activity 2.

Paranormal Activity 2 really freaked me out. I mean, it just is the kind of movie that lets your imagination run wild. Most horror movies show something. PA2 showed very little. It's still a movie that comes to mind in the night when you wake up and try to remember if you were the one who left a closet door open.

I think the addition of the moving cameras is what made it creepier than the first film which used one single camera.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

As a kid I rember my parents buying our first VCR and my sis and I were so excited to watch the newest movies. I remember going to a local video store to rent a couple so we got Poltergeist and of course A Nightmare on Elm St. Scariest movies I had ever watch. Now as an adult I would not get scared watching horror movies until I saw The Conjuring. That is a scary one.
    The New King of Eternia
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

The Blair Witch:I lived out in the woods at the time...not cool. I swear i could hear those kids laughing when i got out of my car...

Strangeland: Bodies from hooks...hells-no.

It's based on a man's account of being abducted by a interstellar UFO in 1975.
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I don't know how well it holds up
    (I saw it when it came out in 1993, I was 14-15 years old then) but at the time
    it had some of the eeriest practical effects, some of the most disturbing pacing
    in a suspense movie. Obviously being a movie I'm sure they took a ton of liberties.
    But it seriously messed with my head a lot. It's one of those movies that makes
    you afraid to go to sleep after you see it, and will probably give you nightmares.
    Or at least if you saw it way back when it came out you would have.
    For all I know I could rewatch it, and find 98 plotholes, and flaws in all of the
    sets, effects, and costumes.
    But I only saw it once, and it's easily the creepiest film I've ever seen.

Not bad for something that isn't a horror flick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

The Exorcist to this day remains the scariest movie for me. I don't know why as by today's standards it's slow and limited in the SFX department but it still scares me. I watch it every Halloween. As for newer movies.....probably Dark Sky. The whole Aliens taking your kid in the night thing really got to me. My boss lives by some woods and when I drop off the company van at 3 am I'm always looking for the Greys now.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Necronomicon, a film starring Jeffrey Combs as H.P. Lovecraft. It frames 3 stories, all with the idea that Lovecraft has found the book itself(while claiming his stories are real, despite his publishers insisting otherwise) and the book is giving him glimpses of the future-one story about a man who tries to resurrect his dead family with the book, another about a scientist who used the book to create some sort of immortality serum, and a 3rd about alien beings that eat bone marrow. There are very graphic horror scenes, they pull no punches whatsoever.

For me... It varies year to year. When I was young it was "Troll". Then it was "Silver Bullet"... Over the years my expectations and senses have changed. I still get surprised by Horror movies but nothing Scares me like it did when I was young. If I have to choose the most Frightening movie I ever saw... I would have to say "Drag Me To Hell". It had been a long time since any movie got me on the edge of my seat and then shoved me back into it. Even though I now view it as humorous, when I first watched it in the theatre, it made me jump numerous times.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Like many others, my idea of "scary" has changed over the years. Nowadays I wouldn't really be frightened by a movie per say (sure I may jump if there's something I'm not expecting), but the visuals that stick in my mind are very specific unsettling torture scenes, self-mutilation that makes me feel sorry for the actor (LOL), gross-me-out degrading humiliation. That sort of thing.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Probably the one that scared the bejezus out of me was some obscure old werewolf movie I don't even remember the title of anymore. Saw part of it when I was a little kid. Something about the idea of an ordinary guy just randomly turning into this *thing* and tearing the heck out of everybody just disturbed me to no end. Being as I was little at the time, it probably didn't help matters any.

Very few horror movies really frighten me any more. I guess I have become a little jaded, or maybe I enjoy Stephen King's work a little too much nowadays to be easily frightened. Or maybe I have just taken my steps into a wider world - and realized that the worst monsters out there really look a lot like me.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; September 27, 2013 at 09:41am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

No movie ever scare me as much as horror videogames have. After playing Silent Hill, Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness, most horror films seem pretty tame by comparison

I think the last film that gave me the creeps was The Ring (Japanese version, aka Ringu). Mainly because I saw it very late at night and I was alone in the house.

The live action rainbow brite movies(I am forever unclean!)
    Giant plush costumes nuff said.(Movies don't usually scare me but that one is an exception)
    Last edited by deltadod; September 27, 2013 at 12:29pm.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I don't watch many horror movies, but the one that creeped me out the most was The Shining.

the-shining_288x288.jpg
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Imo, Silver Bullet was a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    For me... It varies year to year. When I was young it was "Troll". Then it was "Silver Bullet"... Over the years my expectations and senses have changed. I still get surprised by Horror movies but nothing Scares me like it did when I was young. If I have to choose the most Frightening movie I ever saw... I would have to say "Drag Me To Hell". It had been a long time since any movie got me on the edge of my seat and then shoved me back into it. Even though I now view it as humorous, when I first watched it in the theatre, it made me jump numerous times.

Heroic Warrior
    "It" and Paranormal Activity...

Heroic Warrior
    The original Night of the Living Dead for me. There were 2 things about it:
    1. The thought of being eaten alive by dull human teeth is not the way I would want to go.
    2. It just seemed like there was no possible way to escape.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not really a horror movie guy but I find the Fly and Fly II to be gross.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

The movie that frightened me the most was The Blair Witch Project. I rented the movie and was watching it alone at night during a thunderstorm. Just as it got to the end of the movie, when the girl goes into the house and finds the guy standing in the corner, the power in my apartment cut out. The timing was just so perfect and it creeped me out so much I actually left my house and drove around for about 30 minutes before I went back. I still feel like a pretty big wuss to this day about it.

Heroic Warrior
    The rise of cobra..