Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the #1 Most Frightening Movie you ever saw and why?

Typically never really got scared by the movies themselves. There was the incident after my grandparents got me a 4 foot tall stuffed clown for b-day/Christmas one year after I watched Poltergiest and my mom after she put me to bed thought the clown looked better at the foot of my bed instead of in the corner. So I was pretty freaked out when I woke up in the middle of the night.

I still to this day know for a fact I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show (remote died and I was too lazy to change the channel), but a week later I couldn't tell you anything that happened in the movie. Not sure if it terrified me that much or what.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Master of New Adventures!
    Well I don;t know about being scary, but Magenta certainly worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Typically never really got scared by the movies themselves. There was the incident after my grandparents got me a 4 foot tall stuffed clown for b-day/Christmas one year after I watched Poltergiest and my mom after she put me to bed thought the clown looked better at the foot of my bed instead of in the corner. So I was pretty freaked out when I woke up in the middle of the night.

I still to this day know for a fact I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show (remote died and I was too lazy to change the channel), but a week later I couldn't tell you anything that happened in the movie. Not sure if it terrified me that much or what.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I will preface by saying I do NOT like horror movies. They give me too many recurring nightmares. With that said, the most terrifying movie I ever saw was "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" back in 2005. I still have nightmares on a weekly basis from watching that movie.
    Yeah, I'm not a big horror movie person myself, but two movies that stick out to me are Jacob's Ladder and In the Mouth of Madness. Both of those movies mess with your head on so many levels.... In fact, I had a friend who loved horror movies who said Jacob's ladder is definetly one of the most disturbing horror movies he ever saw too.....

Now I absolutely LOVE horror movies because I was brought up on them. One of my fondest childhood memories (and the source of my love and fascination with Werewolves) was watching An American Werewolf in London (when I was about 5) which did not scare me, instead it made me wish I was a werewolf . I also grew up watching such gems as Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th.

So now I don't find movies (or video games) in the least bit scary. Oh I admit I can find some creepy and / or disturbing, but not actually "scary"
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Arrested for copying dogs FiveOfSeven's Avatar
    Far beyond any imaginative work of terror or science-fiction
    "...and whatever walks there, walks alone."

The Haunting.jpg

WHY: After 50 years it's still a masterclass in scaring the bejabbers out of you.

In the old days the Indians who used to live around here called it a "black wind"; they believed that it carried the voices of evil spirits, and that if you listened to it for long enough it could drive you mad.
    (Bill Pronzini)

Watching An American Werewolf in London at age 5? This explains a lot, wolfy. Heck, I STILL get scared thinking about that film.

And to FiveofSeven: thanks a bunch. It's 1 A.M. here and I took a break from work to check in on the board only to let you take me on a walk down Memory Lane and recall that scene in The Haunting where she's in bed and thinking she's holding th eother gal's hand and when the lights come on she's alone in the bed. Now I've got every light in the house on and, oh well, it looks like I'm going to be working until the sun comes up. And me a writer of horror novels!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Now I absolutely LOVE horror movies because I was brought up on them. One of my fondest childhood memories (and the source of my love and fascination with Werewolves) was watching An American Werewolf in London (when I was about 5) which did not scare me, instead it made me wish I was a werewolf . I also grew up watching such gems as Evil Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th.

So now I don't find movies (or video games) in the least bit scary. Oh I admit I can find some creepy and / or disturbing, but not actually "scary"
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 30, 2013 at 02:05am.

For me, one of the absolute scariest films for me was the original Halloween. Now I saw that film when I was about 19 or so. While I had seen slasher films with Scream being my first. However there was something about Halloween that made it unique. Perhaps it was the music, or the subtle bits with the lighting and the lack of back story for Michael and his fascination with Jamie Lee Curtis. Regardless to this day the scene right after she "kills" him with the hanger and she's sitting there and then when Michael came back up I was on the edge of my seat hoping she would escape. It was so tense, the music was perfect and to this day I still remember that scene and get shivers down my spine. Hence to me that is the #1 most frightening movie.
    Mattel I demand the following:

Spinwit,Spinnerella, The Scientists, Rio Blast, Mara, Crita, Kayo, Mermista,

My Facebook, check it out!

Heroic Warrior
    The Craft is the one movie I won't even watch on TV or on DVD. I do remember being tricked into going with my younger siblings (who were into horror movies at the time) to see it, basically because I was the only one other than my parents that could go with them. The scene with the bugs still makes me sick to my stomach.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    While it doesn't frighten me now, I used to love getting scared by Creepshow as a kid, particularly the monster in "The Crate".

As a kid i was afraid of amovie called Madman from 1982. I saw it on video wheni was about 6-7. Scared the bejesus out of me.

Modern day stuff, i gotta give it to Rob Zombies Haloween remake. A brilliantly made terryfying reboot of an already epic horror icon.

The original Ghostbusters movie as a 5 year old at the cinemas. I remember being scared for a long time after that - why did my parents think it was ok for me to watch it at that age?

Gremlins freaked me out for a while as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sky_poster.jpg

It's based on a man's account of being abducted by a interstellar UFO in 1975.
    It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I don't know how well it holds up
    (I saw it when it came out in 1993, I was 14-15 years old then) but at the time
    it had some of the eeriest practical effects, some of the most disturbing pacing
    in a suspense movie. Obviously being a movie I'm sure they took a ton of liberties.
    But it seriously messed with my head a lot. It's one of those movies that makes
    you afraid to go to sleep after you see it, and will probably give you nightmares.
    Or at least if you saw it way back when it came out you would have.
    For all I know I could rewatch it, and find 98 plotholes, and flaws in all of the
    sets, effects, and costumes.
    But I only saw it once, and it's easily the creepiest film I've ever seen.

Not bad for something that isn't a horror flick.
    I only saw the part where the aliens forced the brown... jelly... stuff down dude's throat and then put some type of giant corkscrew in his mouth and kept turning it until there was an audible cracking noise. Then my dad and I changed the channel.

The original "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" scares the crap out of me. I think I was 17 when I saw it and had already watched quite a few gory and scary shows. I was watching it at night and got to the part where that hippie guy in some cut-off jean shorts went running into the house, Leatherface stepped around the corner and hit him a few times with a sledgehammer before dragging him into a room and slamming the door. I promptly turned the movie off, went to my bed and curled up in the fetal position. The whole time I had "Round Here" by Counting Crows going through my head until I finally went to sleep. The next morning I finished watching it. To this date I haven't seen the original TCM all the way through again.

There's a story in my town about someone who during a showing of "The Texas chainsaw massacre" got sick to their stomach and crashed through the glass doors of the theater (Though whether this story is true or not I don't know)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    While it doesn't frighten me now, I used to love getting scared by Creepshow as a kid, particularly the monster in "The Crate".
    YEAH--you're right--that movie is FREAKY I just saw that again a few months ago and was shocked at how gory it was in some parts--even by today's standards

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I do not find any films particularly scary per se, but Martyrs is completely ****ed.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    As a kid, two movies scared me:

"5 Million Years to Earth" scared the bejabbers out of me when I saw it; had me looking over my shoulder all night. Subsequent viewings years later had me wondering what it was that actually scared me so much; it's not a bad movie, but hardly terrifying.

"Willy Wonka" was the other one. the scene where the girl turns into a blueberry had me refusing blueberry muffins for months. And I love blueberry muffins.

The movie that does the best job of providing actual thrills and suspense, though, is probably Halloween. Though my favorite horror flicks are the classic Universal monsters, Carpenter hit just the perfect mix of pacing, scares, camera shots and actors, combined with a musical score that melded brilliantly with the events and added to the tension. The follow-up films fell far short of this, but there is a reason that the original basically gave birth to a whole sub-genre.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Yeah I remember seeing 5 Million Years From Earth and it creeped me out, too. I think part of it was the claustrophobic element of it being in a subway station. The high-pitched squeals were freaky, too. But the thing that got me the most, since I lived in Chicago at the time, was that something truly frightening could happen in a regular city like London. I could relate.

Interesting how a lot of old films that used to scare the pants off of us, like The Haunting mentioned earlier, had so little blood and gore. I think a lot of filmmakers back then realized that letting people's imaginations do the work could have great results.

I was fortunate to become good friends with B-horror film master William Castle -- The Tingler, House on Haunted Hill, Thirteen Ghosts -- when he bought the film rights to my first novel. Bill always said "It's what people DON'T see that scares them." He carried that idea forward when he produced the at-the-time terrifying ROSEMARY'S BABY. It's true, I think, that the hands of a master of horror don't always have to be toting a chain saw.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    As a kid, two movies scared me:

"5 Million Years to Earth" scared the bejabbers out of me when I saw it; had me looking over my shoulder all night. Subsequent viewings years later had me wondering what it was that actually scared me so much; it's not a bad movie, but hardly terrifying.

"Willy Wonka" was the other one. the scene where the girl turns into a blueberry had me refusing blueberry muffins for months. And I love blueberry muffins.

The movie that does the best job of providing actual thrills and suspense, though, is probably Halloween. Though my favorite horror flicks are the classic Universal monsters, Carpenter hit just the perfect mix of pacing, scares, camera shots and actors, combined with a musical score that melded brilliantly with the events and added to the tension. The follow-up films fell far short of this, but there is a reason that the original basically gave birth to a whole sub-genre.

I don't watch a lot of horror films.
    Mostly because modern ones aren't really scary as much as startling (fast camera cuts, sudden loud noises, etc..) and because my lady friend hates them.

But I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was 11 or 12 and it scared the **** out of me.
    Also, I got talking into watching the Ring in the theatre and that was pretty horrifying.
    I covered all the TVs in my house with blankets for a week.
    Bill :: guitargod694

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Interesting how a lot of old films that used to scare the pants off of us, like The Haunting mentioned earlier, had so little blood and gore. I think a lot of filmmakers back then realized that letting people's imaginations do the work could have great results.

I was fortunate to become good friends with B-horror film master William Castle -- The Tingler, House on Haunted Hill, Thirteen Ghosts -- when he bought the film rights to my first novel. Bill always said "It's what people DON'T see that scares them." He carried that idea forward when he produced the at-the-time terrifying ROSEMARY'S BABY. It's true, I think, that the hands of a master of horror don't always have to be toting a chain saw.
    I agree, a lot of the modern horror is just shock and gore. Halloween is considered the father of the modern slasher movie, but there's really very little blood splashing around, just a lot of atmosphere. Same goes for a lot of the old horror and sci-fi films; they couldn't rely on special effects and buckets of red food coloring, so they had to go with story, characters, and genuine suspense. Castle's sentiments were common among the great thriller makers of that era; they felt the things the audience imagined would be far worse than anything they could actually show.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    These days the movie that frightens me most is actually a Disney movie, "Up." Only because I can easily see myself being Mr. Fredrickson in the future. Up to a point his life sort of looks like mine.

If it can be classified as a movie, then watching Faces of Death when I was much younger was certainly the one. Was kind of hard to focus on things in life without thinking about scenes from it for about a week or whatever LoL. It's since been revealed that it was all staged. Thankfully!
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Necronomicon, a film starring Jeffrey Combs as H.P. Lovecraft. It frames 3 stories, all with the idea that Lovecraft has found the book itself(while claiming his stories are real, despite his publishers insisting otherwise) and the book is giving him glimpses of the future-one story about a man who tries to resurrect his dead family with the book, another about a scientist who used the book to create some sort of immortality serum, and a 3rd about alien beings that eat bone marrow. There are very graphic horror scenes, they pull no punches whatsoever.
    This is one Combs film I still have to watch. How they did him up to look like Lovecraft is great.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Warrior
    Not a fan of gore at all (I think it was 20 years or so before I finally watched Han slice open the Tauntaun without looking away) so I tend to stay far away from modern horror films. Surprisingly, I think the one film I did see that scared the living crap out of me was animated and wasn't really even a horror film, at least not as a whole. The whole B-52 segment of the Heavy Metal movie is something I just find impossible to watch again.

I mis-read the title of the post when I clicked the link, I thought it said the "...Most Frightening Movie Poster you ever saw...". For that I would say the 3-D/motion T-Rex poster for one of the Jurassic Park films (was it the first one?), I turned toward it just as I was walking past and the logo changed to the dino and I was in the floor.

Arrested for copying dogs FiveOfSeven's Avatar
    Far beyond any imaginative work of terror or science-fiction
    Code:
    And to FiveofSeven: thanks a bunch.  It's 1 A.M. here...

Ideal viewing conditions then!

It's testament to Robert Wise's directorial prowess that some one who's seen tragedy, who's seen combat and who's seen Beaches can still be reduced to a quivering wasted piece of jelly by clever lighting, sound effects and , of course, some first rate performances.
    In the old days the Indians who used to live around here called it a "black wind"; they believed that it carried the voices of evil spirits, and that if you listened to it for long enough it could drive you mad.
    (Bill Pronzini)

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    When I was little I was terrified of "Babes in Toyland" there was something about Mr. Barnaby that I did like
    Etheria will be mine!