Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #5 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #5 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

If you already have the issue, you can discuss what happened here! The whole thread is marked as a spoiler, so if you don't want to know what happened in the issue, leave the thread NOW!

Discuss!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    The Teela-Adora scenes were great as always.

Looks like Shadow Weaver really cares for Adora.

So the Sorceress made everyone forget Adora in this version of the story. I wonder if she ever tried looking for Adora?

Nice to see Skeletor still plays a role in the kidnapping. It makes sense that would be Hordak's price.

Mekaneck helping to save the day? Teela will be thrilled.

I am beginning to wonder if the quest in the next arc to find the Sword of Protection. It doesn't seem like Adora will have it by the end of next issue. I could be wrong though.

I liked the Adora-Shadow Weaver scenes better. I like how they gave depth to Shadow Weaver (more than just an evil witch). I got the impression she was lying about the Sorceress sacrificing Adora because she wanted Adora to choose being with her.

And did I misinterpret the end? Did Shadow Weaver give Adora her powers/healing powers?
    Did Shadow Weaver disintegrate and turn to dust? I would hate to see her die, but it almost sounded like she transferred energy to Adora so she could "go towards her future."

This comic can be confusing sometimes.

Chewer of Trollans
    I can't believe how much I liked this issue. It had real heart. I wish the action scenes would be a little more concise, ala George Perez on Avengers a few years ago. Right now, it's too noisy.
    Shadow Weaver's turn and death was awesome. He-Man on his way makes me excited for the next issue.
    So, doesn't everyone feel like this was the best issue in the series?

I also liked that they gave Shadow Weaver some depth, by giving her actual maternal instincts toward Adora.

It looks like Teela and She-Ra are going to be the Betty and Veronica of the He-Man mythos (in Archie there are TWO leading ladies). I really can't envision Adora being shipped off to Etheria, since Etheria's importance hasn't been of any significance yet. She might become a regular member of He-Man's Masters/Heroic Warrior...given honorary Vintage Character status if you will. I'd love to see Princess Adora hanging around Prince Adam and Teela.

Do we think that Adora will become She-Ra in this story? I doubt it...

Looking forward to Adora becoming a regular cast member (hopefully).

Oh, add Shadow Weaver to the Fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Nice to see Skeletor still plays a role in the kidnapping. It makes sense that would be Hordak's price.
    What do you mean still?

He was already there last year in She-Ra digital comic-issue when she has flashbacks. So that didn't change in this time.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    It keeps getting better..........................

This book has warts but, Giffen's starting to tell the story we want to hear and telling it pretty damn well. Some key observations:
    • It appears that the Sorceress grudgingly DID allow Adora to be taken. Pop’s art did a good job (IMO) showing the pain in her eyes while she fulfilled her duty to Grayskull. Causing the planet to forget Adora seems to be as far as she would have gone, in terms of “making that right”. This version of Teela-Na is much more cold hearted than the previous incarnations. I think she sees this time now to make up for it.
    • This version of Shadow Weaver was well developed, she served Hordak but LOVED being Despera’s mom. Nice twist. The Adora on her knee panel was EXCELLENT. It does appear that she dissolved, however, I would have never thought that she was granting additional powers to She-Ra, I applaud Julio79 for that nugget. Time will tell.
    • Mekaneck was looking much better in the last issue, he looks like a weak simpering, cringer-esque “hero” in this one…… Ugh.
    • Hordak is the size of a building now? I understand that “he lost his physical body” and is recreating it through science and sorcery but, SMH.
    • The fact that they are giving REAL meaning to the kidnapping, this prophecy is a good addition to the mythos.

Chewer of Trollans
    Did anyone actually see any difference in He-Man's power set? It seems like the change was just cosmetic. And Randor knew about the forge? There are a lot of beats out there that feels more dropped than hints for future plot threads.

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    It keeps getting better..........................
    Thank the Goddess!

Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    Did anyone actually see any difference in He-Man's power set? It seems like the change was just cosmetic. And Randor knew about the forge? There are a lot of beats out there that feels more dropped than hints for future plot threads.
    Not sure what you mean by "power set"? You referring to his armor and sword? I still haven't warmed-up to the sword. The close-up of He-Man on page 18 - the armor doesn't look that bad.

Which reminds me... I've noticed there are only a handful of characters with armor changes. Little by little, they are starting to resemble their classic look. I'm starting to think (more like hoping) we will eventually see He-Man and Teela in their traditional look.

Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    So, doesn't everyone feel like this was the best issue in the series?
    Yes, I agree.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Flipped through this one and was immediately turned off by the prisoner's remark about being able to get Adora/Desponda "on her knees" before the guard. Really? How misogynistic can you get???

Otherwise, it seemed like it could make for an interesting read. I might pick it up, though everything I've heard about the comics make it seem like they're going for shock-value in the sex and violence department and could seriously stand to respect the characters more...

I LOVE this issue!

And I think Mhan is really sticking to Classics designs for all those characters that weren't redesigned in the first series. It's almost as if the series is finally BECOMING Masters of the Universe.

And did anyone notice? Castle Grayskull now is an exact replica of the Icon Heroes Grayskull...

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Flipped through this one and was immediately turned off by the prisoner's remark about being able to get Adora/Desponda "on her knees" before the guard. Really? How misogynistic can you get???

Otherwise, it seemed like it could make for an interesting read. I might pick it up, though everything I've heard about the comics make it seem like they're going for shock-value in the sex and violence department and could seriously stand to respect the characters more...
    The quote was Teela, telling Despera that she bet she could get Despera on her knees before Teela got on hers own. Teela bet the guard 50 gold pieces. I see nothing remotely misogynistic.....

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Hey guys, I'm new to the comics thing and really want to start collecting them but I know nothing about them other than they are our there somewhere. can someone tell me where would be the best place to pick up these comics and is there a check list of the sets of comics out there so I can get caught up? I know there have been at least one series of like 6 comics or something and I knew DC was doing them but not much more... Thanks
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Chewer of Trollans
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the comics thing and really want to start collecting them but I know nothing about them other than they are our there somewhere. can someone tell me where would be the best place to pick up these comics and is there a check list of the sets of comics out there so I can get caught up? I know there have been at least one series of like 6 comics or something and I knew DC was doing them but not much more... Thanks
    I prefer reading these books on the comixology digital comics website. And you can find them all on there too. Computer, tablet, or phone.

Heroic Warrior
    Loved this issue!!

They are doing a great job, some "fears" i had on the previous issues are totaly gone. I am also liking the new armor (asside from the armored croch peice)

Don't like the New armor, but I think it's all shaping up to be a great story. I'm glad I subscribed to this.

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    The quote was Teela, telling Despera that she bet she could get Despera on her knees before Teela got on hers own. Teela bet the guard 50 gold pieces. I see nothing remotely misogynistic.....
    Exactly. It was about Teela defeating Adora, not about a man sexualizing a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    I get all of mine via comiXology. I suggest the following reading order:

Masters of the Universe: The Origin of Hordak
    Masters of the Universe: The Origin of Skeletor
    Masters of the Universe: The Origin of He-Man

Masters of the Universe Chapter 1 Sir Laser-Lot digital exclusive
    Masters of the Universe Chapter 2 Man-at-Arms digital exclusive
    Masters of the Universe Chapter 3 Battle Cat digital exclusive
    Masters of the Universe Chapter 4 Randor digital exclusive
    Masters of the Universe Chapter 5 Evil Lyn digital exclusive
    Masters of the Universe Chapter 6 Orko digital exclusive
    Masters of the Universe Chapter 7 Trap Jaw digital exclusive

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (mini series) # 1-6

Masters of the Universe Chapter 8 She-Ra digital exclusive

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (ongoing series) # 1-6 (#5 came out today)

Coming up soon is the second arc in the ongoing series, presumably another six part story, as well as another six issue miniseries, DC Universe vs The Masters of the Universe.

Great number, it was an issue of dialogue, very revealing and rich, all great additions to the MOTU mythology ... ...But a I want She-ra now,I don't think we see her in this arc.

I made a DC MOTU guide ,check it out ! http://www.motula.org/t6150-guia-motu-era-dc
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Picked it up today and I must be one of the few that liked He-Man sneaking off with Mekaneck. I think they should have had someone else with them. Maybe a bruiser type like Ram Man. Fisto is Teela's uncle, so no go there. On second thought, that hasn't been said in this version of the mythos, so who knows. Then again, if you're going to sneak anywhere, Ram Man and Fisto probably aren't your best choices. I liked that the truth is coming out in buckets. That's what happens in the real world. Stuff gets revealed and then you've gotta deal with it. I bet we see Despara/Adora inside Castle Grayskull at some point and *that's* what breaks Hordak's influence over her. Can't wait for that to happen. Now hurry up Matty and get us a Despara figure in Classics!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio79 View Post
    I liked the Adora-Shadow Weaver scenes better. I like how they gave depth to Shadow Weaver (more than just an evil witch). I got the impression she was lying about the Sorceress sacrificing Adora because she wanted Adora to choose being with her.

And did I misinterpret the end? Did Shadow Weaver give Adora her powers/healing powers?
    Did Shadow Weaver disintegrate and turn to dust? I would hate to see her die, but it almost sounded like she transferred energy to Adora so she could "go towards her future."

This comic can be confusing sometimes.
    Wouldn't that healing power coincide with the power that Filmation She-Ra had? Just a thought that makes sense.

Yeah, hardly can figure Adora will be She-Ra by the end of this arc. Perhaps this arc is more like Adora discovering who Hordak has denied her from being: Princess Adora. The next arc could be about Adora learning to become who she was meant to be, besides just She-Ra, as well as her family learning to accept her and help her. The Sword of Protection being the object being sought after for the next arc makes some sense.

As for this issue, pretty cool as it explained some back story. Way, way too freaking short.

Also digging Castle Grayskull's more classic appearance in this issue.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

BEST QUOTE YET!

Does the weapon question the wielder? -Hordak

Reminds of the letter of Paul to the Romans in the New Testament

Does the clay ask the the potter why did you make me this way?!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    That was Teela baiting Adora.

Loved this issue! Very well written. The scenes with Teela and Despera were awesome and I loved that Shadow Weaver had that maternal instinct. Looking forward to Victory!

This issue was great. I have too many positives to list. The Shadow Weaver stuff with Adora was excellent. Her loving Adora was a good touch and very emotional. i don't see how people can hate this series. The scenes with the Masters battling the Horde were AWESOME! Seeing Ram-Man smashing through some troopers while Fisto charges into battle was pretty darn cool. My favorite piece of art was the shot of Snout Spout, he looked BA! I love this series and hope it stands the test of time.