Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #6 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Catra making appearance looked fun! Hopefully she will be used as a character, not purely as someone to fight against...but then again we have not gotten very "humane" look at any of the villains except Adora, and at some level Skeletor, I guess.

I do also like the take on Hordak, but I would rather have the story to move from Horde back to the battle against Skeletor (who doesn't look like he does in Masters VS DC please).

Finally, I am not too crazy about destroying Castle Grayskull, it is central to the mythos and I felt it was done for "shock" value.

I think comic is overall going to better direction, but it still ain't quite there. I wish they could reboot it again, with knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

EDIT:
    Also why is there so many artists on this issue, you can clearly notice that some pages are by different artists. In the end of comic Hordak for instance doesn't look like he did in the battle anymore. Notice the nose and ears especially. Lots of people listed on story and script too, which can't do good for the plot (you remember what they say about too many cooks). Is this transition issue, changing of the guard?
    Last edited by Invicta; October 2, 2013 at 05:55pm.

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    Only one way to describe the newest issue: Huge Suckfest!! I hated every part of the story. Keith Giffen is a great writer but he is NOT suited to write MOTU. Alex's artwork is top notch, but that's just putting lipstick on a huge pile of feces. Good news though, I can stop buying these comics and save money for MOTUC figures
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Finally, I am not too crazy about destroying Castle Grayskull, it is central to the mythos and I felt it was done for "shock" value.
    This is a problem with comics in general of today, and what ends up happening is you get numb to it after awhile.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Well the events shown in the comic were not what I was expecting. Silly me assumed that as the nicely drawn and coloured cover had He-Man and Despara fighting, was sub-titled “Sibling Rivalry” and there’s been the rumour that Despara/Adora would die there would be fighting, posturing for a swordfight or at least some verbal sparring. It now seems the rumour might just have been hype to drum-up some interest in the comic!

I did however like how Mechanek used his neck extension to surprise head-butt two Horde Troopers! This is one of the things I like about MOTUC where it gives some characters unusual abilities that at first sight appear harmless or useless in a fight but goes on to show how they can become potent weapons! Another example is Stinkor. I’m sure there’s a moral in there too about valuing others no matter their appearance, skills, position in life, etc.

The Horde Troopers look like they have developed the concept of a fair fight, as they are not using any weapons against the vastly out-numbered He-Man, Mechanek and Battle Cat early on. If they continue fighting like this please sign me up for the Eternian resistance or the Masters, as I’m fancying my chances against the Horde ‘tin-cans’!

Teela was very likeable and more grown up in this comic for once and made me laugh several times. I would also like to comment that in my experience of working I have come across several Teela-like individuals. And yes they do foul-mouth their colleagues and very occasionally strip down to their underwear – the latter making for interesting job appraisals or late nights in the office ….. Mr Giffen’s portrayal of these individuals is to me very accurate and I presume based on individuals he has met in real life.

I was shocked like others to see Castle Grayskull crumble but as neither He-Man, She-Ra or the Sorceress in physical form were home to defend it, I found it not that surprising when it is under attack from a powerful galactic force such as the Horde.

Cringer comforting the alone Adora was very touching. It shows Cringer understands what it is like to feel alone in the world and has a heart of gold. The fact he follows her after they part ways shows he is protective and a real friend of Adora’s.

For some reason the scene described above made me wonder if Adora needs to find and confront Spirit/SwiftWind who is protecting the Sword of Protection if she is to become She-Ra. This would be analogous to the way that Adam found Cringer and his Sword of Power to become He-Man. It might also explain why she is being drawn back to the Fright Zone / Castle Grayskull.

Will be around for the next comic to see how all this pans out. The multiple plotlines going on here make it easy to bond to the characters and a far more interesting read than other comics out there.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; October 3, 2013 at 03:32am.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    I'm enjoying it. It's a fun yarn that's breathing some fresh direction into motu. Loved seeing GC destroyed. Funny thing is now it's all ruined and has the Horde spikes and assimilation tech sprouting out of it -it kind of looks like Castle Grayskull from the 1987 live action movie.

I'm loving the costume changes. Really would like DC motuc variants mafe of some of them. The interplay between Adora and Battlecat was nice.

I liked. Point Dread and Talon Figther, Mantisaur, Catra, Modulock!
    Lord Hordak

I just finished reading it... Well, I felt the story isn't really going anywhere since it's inception from last year! I'm not really moved by it's direction or it's art in general due to the inconsistencies in the character's designs, probably also due to the different artists involved! Also I wish the coloring was more vibrant and colorful and less murky or dull even though the story suppose to be dark.

I honestly prefer Axel's line work over POP's! Alex's pencil lines feel more old school (a lot closer to Frank Frazetta's style) and he's more suited for MOTU world IMO.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I was entertained...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I'll readily admit that some of the story is off-putting to say the least but this issue was certainly more bad than good.

Some highlights in no particular order -

Hordak's explanation
    The easter eggs
    Adora confiding in Teela that she was the "one truth"
    The last page
    Cringer/Adora
    Axel's pencils

Again, the book isn't great but it's at least fun

I was entertained as well. But I do hope better days are ahead for the title, them making fun of all the characters names or powers is getting old.
    Love, friendship, or respect, do not unite people as much as a common hatred for something.
    I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.

Honestly, everything that bugs some people doesn't bother me at all. We have how many renditions of He-Man? Jungle, Ice Armor, Flying Fists, Snake Armor, Wolf Armor, etc...etc...etc...etc... What's one more going to change? And CG getting destroyed, that's epic! MOTU is exactly what it should be treated with everyone having a different canon and storyline. And again, we have many different canons, what's one more?

I'm just enjoying the story and that fact that we have a new story to continue the legacy.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    For some reason, I totally missed that Axel was working on this.
    I might just give the comic another shot!

Art wise, in my opinion.
    Cover: meh
    Pop: good
    Axel: Great!
    Read it! Read iiiittt!
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I really like where things are headed for this comic!! Axel totally brought it on this issue

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    I have a question, why does it say 'Sibling Rivalry' on the cover when it has nothing to do with the story?

Heroic Warrior
    I really enjoyed this issue. It provided some resolution while also setting up future stories. Some things that stood out to me:

I thought Hordak's plan was pretty cool. Disgracing the legacy of King Grayskull by having one of his descendants help Hordak conquer Eternia seemed clever to me. He also corrupted Keldor, who is also a descendant of Grayskull, so he loves messing with that family.

Once again I thought the Teela/Adora scenes were great. I like this friendship being added to the mythos.

Castle Grayskull being destroyed and replaced by the Fight Zone surprised me. I guess Adam's question about the secrets of Grayskull are part of what drives the next story arc.

I really liked how Mekaneck was featured over the last few issues. Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend of featuring other Masters besides the big 3 of He-Man, Teela, and Man-at-Arms.

It was great seeing the Talon Fighter and Point Dread. Have they been mentioned in any medium since the 80s?

Stratos unmasked was pretty cool. I don't think I have ever seen him without his mask.

The Cringer/Adora scene at the end was great. I guess this means Battle Cat is not part of the next story arc, unless Adora ends up being part of the story near the end.

The Masters as renegades sounds like the plotline for the never released season 3 of MYP, as others have mentioned. It also makes them the rebels, ala the Rebellion in the She-Ra cartoon.

I am really enjoying this overall story and am looking forward to the next arc. I also hope we get to see Adora get the Sword of Protection so we can see the Twins of Power in action.

Can someone post a pic of Catra?

Widget
    The artwork was just spectacular in this issue, and I loved all the cameo appearances.
    But I found the writing VERY hard to follow, and was hoping someone could help me understand it?

Page 5, Panel 1. Teela says "that anyway to say thank you for healing your wounds".
    What is she referring to? Teela stabbed Despara in revenge last ish. Is it something that happened off page? I thought in that panel Despara slash Adora is handing Teela back her wrist armour as thank you.

Page 9, Panel 2. "When have you ever thought past Grayskull? Eternise exists only in your mind during crises that may ill effect Grayskull". WTF? Does he mean eternia is a figment of the mind, or that they have been neglecting the rest of the realm?

Page 9, Panel 5 "You think yourselves being of Grayskull not Eternia". When did the Masters ever do that? I'm completely lost by the dialogue.

Page 9 Panel 7 "A boon! A gift from your lord". Is this suggesting Randor made some side deal to hand over the castle? Or just that it was poorly defended. There's no mention of a retreat.... So is he just lying. Bragging?

Page 10. Rather than being OMG they killed the castle, I don't understand WHAT has happened. Some new weapon? It isn't described and I just can't follow what's happening.

Page 17, Fisto seems offended that Randor doubted him by sending Stratos, but all Stratos said was to get ready to leave - there is no insult of slight in the dialogue he used.

Page 21. Is is a flashback? There's no caption to suggest it, but can I assume it is a memory and not the Sorceress time travelling back to change some events?

Please if anyone can shed light on these questions. I may not be the brightest tool in the shed, but it shouldn't be this hard to follow the writing. None of the previous issues were like this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    The artwork was just spectacular in this issue, and I loved all the cameo appearances.
    But I found the writing VERY hard to follow, and was hoping someone could help me understand it?

Page 5, Panel 1. Teela says "that anyway to say thank you for healing your wounds".
    What is she referring to? Teela stabbed Despara in revenge last ish. Is it something that happened off page? I thought in that panel Despara slash Adora is handing Teela back her wrist armour as thank you.

Page 9, Panel 2. "When have you ever thought past Grayskull? Eternise exists only in your mind during crises that may ill effect Grayskull". WTF? Does he mean eternia is a figment of the mind, or that they have been neglecting the rest of the realm?

Page 9, Panel 5 "You think yourselves being of Grayskull not Eternia". When did the Masters ever do that? I'm completely lost by the dialogue.

Page 9 Panel 7 "A boon! A gift from your lord". Is this suggesting Randor made some side deal to hand over the castle? Or just that it was poorly defended. There's no mention of a retreat.... So is he just lying. Bragging?

Page 10. Rather than being OMG they killed the castle, I don't understand WHAT has happened. Some new weapon? It isn't described and I just can't follow what's happening.

Page 17, Fisto seems offended that Randor doubted him by sending Stratos, but all Stratos said was to get ready to leave - there is no insult of slight in the dialogue he used.

Page 21. Is is a flashback? There's no caption to suggest it, but can I assume it is a memory and not the Sorceress time travelling back to change some events?

Please if anyone can shed light on these questions. I may not be the brightest tool in the shed, but it shouldn't be this hard to follow the writing. None of the previous issues were like this.
    What helps me from time to time:
    It is not that hard to follow the writing if you keep an eye on the drawings and take some time to think things through. Some of your questions can be answered by simply looking closer at the artwork. And do not be ashamed to read a passage twice. There was a lot of text and exposition in this issue.

Be it as it is, you´re touching some very good points. Here are my 2 cents...

Page 5: I thought the same. But there is a man lying on the ground. Might be the Healer?

Page 9: Hordak is mocking He-Man. The Defender of Grayskull. He-Man and the Masters are often times so focused on defending Grayskull, so they are neglecting the Rest. As was the issue during this story arc. All forces were centered around the castle. No one seemed to care about the rest oif the realm so Hordak had an easy game. Which leads to Panel 5 again directed at He-Man. Hordak mocks him as narrow minded. The so called great "Hero of the People" that only tries to safe his heritage which descended from King Grayskull.
    Hordak sees it from the perspective of a simple citizen. The whole planet is beeing conquered. And the Masters are doing what? They defend an old Ruin in the middle of nowhere. Raises some question, eh?
    But: is this all psychological warfare or is Hordak really unaware of the amount of power stored in the castle?

Page 9 Panel 7: Hordak is the refered Lord here. He destroys Grayskull to free He-Man from the burden of protecting it. What a generous gift.

Page 10: Hordak created the Frightzone in the same spot. Look closely. You can see the towers rising while the Castle crumbles. As seen in Panel 3 on Page 18: The filmation-inspired Frightzone growing out of the remains of Grayskull.
    By the gods, that scene was just stupid. But at least now we know why the castle is gone in the Classics Bios...

Page 17: Fisto is offended that the King saw the need to remind them to be ready for battle. The way he sees it, a Master of the Universe is always ready to follow the King into battle.

Page 21: It is a flashback indeed. Showing the growing friendship between Adora and Teela. And also showing that the Sorceress was watching over the two girls. At least that is what i hope it is. Anything in the sort of timetravel would be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
    And CG getting destroyed, that's epic!
    They seem to be upping the ante.

In 2012 mini-series, they declared "He-Man IS the Power". Which diminished the entire purpose of Grayskull.
    Then they retconned it a bit to give it some meaning, and now tore down the whole place. Though characters were somewhat fine with it. They have a sword.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    Can someone post a pic of Catra?
    Here you go.

Catra_Motu6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    They seem to be upping the ante.

In 2012 mini-series, they declared "He-Man IS the Power". Which diminished the entire purpose of Grayskull.
    Then they retconned it a bit to give it some meaning, and now tore down the whole place. Though characters were fine with it. Nobody was to upset.
    Well at least Randor and He-Man seemed to care. Not for the castle itself but for the power stored within. As it seems on Page 18 the castle is not completely destroyed but damaged and corrupted by the Frightzone growing out of it. For whatever difference that makes.

Chewer of Trollans
    The art has improved over the start of the series, but the designs are still uninspired. I'm glad for the easter eggs because the characters look like themselves in them and; therefore, will be harder for the next artist to alter without an explanation.
    Hordak talks forever in this issue. There's no way he should need to explain himself so much in the final issue. And his lack of focus (Is he talking to Adora? Now He-Man? What?)
    I'm so glad Mekaneck and Battle Cat got some time. I didn't appreciate the Fisto's name joke though. That's a long road they'll have to hoe if they keep that up.
    That was a great inclusion of Point Dread. Teela and Adora's dialogue together is good. I'm enjoying Battle Cat's characterization. I am never concerned about any of these characters though. Not even Adora. As soon as Hordak started talking to her, I knew she'd be okay in order to save her legacy.
    Destroying Castle Grayskull (even as it gets ready to ship), is cheap. I'm sure if the comic continues, a new "improved" Grayskull will rise again. And won't that be lame.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Stratos unmasked was pretty cool. I don't think I have ever seen him without his mask.
    He was also unmasked in 2002 MVC comic Vol3 Issue 7. The one that told about his backstory. Though there he had some distinctive Avionian features.

In current DC he's just a regular bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthKant View Post
    Here you go.

Catra_Motu6.jpg.

Thank you :-)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex The Kid View Post
    I have a question, why does it say 'Sibling Rivalry' on the cover when it has nothing to do with the story?
    Welcome to comics, lol