Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #6 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Covers and often comic titles anymore have little to do with what's going on in the inside anymore. They are just there to grab your attention. I enjoy the series for what it is. This issue did seem to jump around a bit, like when Hordak starts talking to Adora then all of the sudden He-man shows up (seems he fought his way to this point or something). I think part of the problem with the writing on those issues is Keith Giffin is scripting someone else's story based on the credits at the start of the issue.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I liked it. And I am not asking for more.

I really like that characters like Fisto are NOT redesigned and stay so close to the classics.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    He was also unmasked in 2002 MVC comic Vol3 Issue 7. The one that told about his backstory. Though there he had some distinctive Avionian features.

In current DC he's just a regular bloke.
    Maybe he has a human face...but with a furry ass body....

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Chewer of Trollans
    Yes, seeing those characters in the background without a redesign will make it harder for other writers and artists to arbitrarily redesign them. Yay!

I just read the new #6 issue and I really like it !

Here is what I like in details:

• Axel Gimenez is a good addition for the future of this serie
    • Teela in Horde Armor, a really cool looking for her
    • Point Dread and Talon Fighter!!! I loved it.
    • Modulok and Catra at the end of the issue... It means that Catra will take the place of Despara as Horde Captain
    • The power of Hordak !!! Totally bad ass.
    • Castle Grayskull destroyed? How could it be possible? Excellent, because totally unexpected!!! Will they rebuild it? Wow...
    • The Mantisaur easter eggs
    • Despara/Adora is finally in her way to become She-Ra!

But now I'm waiting a Despara figure and the following of the first volume with "the evil Orko". According to the DC guys at the Power-Con panel, there will be a following of this first volume

Yeah, I've grown to appreciate what Pop has done with the look he's given these guys.
    And Axor's stuff just rocks!!!

Great read guys, really enjoying this book!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    I just finished reading it... Well, I felt the story isn't really going anywhere since it's inception from last year! I'm not really moved by it's direction or it's art in general due to the inconsistencies in the character's designs, probably also due to the different artists involved! Also I wish the coloring was more vibrant and colorful and less murky or dull even though the story suppose to be dark.

I honestly prefer Axel's line work over POP's! Alex's pencil lines feel more old school (a lot closer to Frank Frazetta's style) and he's more suited for MOTU world IMO.
    Yes - this is right. There are surely two artists involved here and the differences show very much. The art is not constant. Some is much better with cleaner lines and more fluid definition. The people shown look properly proportioned in one page and not in another. Their faces features change also. This is not good, not professional.

I think also that two writers are involved and the differences in the writing style show too. I see two 'teams' drawing and writing different pages - and one team is better than the other I think. I do not like the writing style or artwork at the beginning or at the end. In the middle section it is better by far with both writing and drawing. They should keep that team and drop the other one!

Lots of the problems here come from this inconstantcy. It would be better with just one writer and artist.

Edit: Sorry, I mean inconsistency.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Catra making appearance looked fun! Hopefully she will be used as a character, not purely as someone to fight against...but then again we have not gotten very "humane" look at any of the villains except Adora, and at some level Skeletor, I guess.

I do also like the take on Hordak, but I would rather have the story to move from Horde back to the battle against Skeletor (who doesn't look like he does in Masters VS DC please).

Finally, I am not too crazy about destroying Castle Grayskull, it is central to the mythos and I felt it was done for "shock" value.

I think comic is overall going to better direction, but it still ain't quite there. I wish they could reboot it again, with knowledge of what works and what doesn't.

EDIT:
    Also why is there so many artists on this issue, you can clearly notice that some pages are by different artists. In the end of comic Hordak for instance doesn't look like he did in the battle anymore. Notice the nose and ears especially. Lots of people listed on story and script too, which can't do good for the plot (you remember what they say about too many cooks). Is this transition issue, changing of the guard?
    This as well. Maybe this change will happen. That would be better, I think.

Heroic Warrior
    Castel Grayskull destroyed? Another reason not to buy this book...

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Covers and often comic titles anymore have little to do with what's going on in the inside anymore. They are just there to grab your attention.
    The ol' bait and switch is common for comic book covers. During their publishing run, Comic Buyers Guide had a few articles about some of the most crazy covers and how they didn't have much of anything to do with the story inside or appeared misleading. Some of them were very creative.

Drewsky's opinions match my own. It's disheartening to see so many people reject this simply because it's not their personal vision of MOTU. How small your worlds must be.

Grayskull is most certainly not destroyed. It's still there, but the fright zone is growing out from under it and through its eye sockets. It's been befouled and corrupted, just like Adora was. Symbolism, people. I quickly ran through the digital version on my phone and I could see it. Those complaining about it out of hand haven't read it.

I was happy to see Malcolm! And unmasked Stratos is great.
    Last edited by hadley; October 3, 2013 at 04:24pm.

Really liked this issue. I hope to one day have a Stratos that looks so Nice.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Drewsky's opinions match my own. It's disheartening to see so many people reject this simply because it's not their personal vision of MOTU.
    I think no-one has said this? It is your construction only.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    How small your worlds must be.
    Me, I judge the comic not the readers' opinions. And my world is big enough to include those who do not agree with me. Is yours?

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Oy vey...

Awful costume "update".
    Sword is more annoying with each viewing.
    Destroying Castle Grayskull? Going for the shock because the writing is below sub-par...

It's improving...but slowly.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The ol' bait and switch is common for comic book covers. During their publishing run, Comic Buyers Guide had a few articles about some of the most crazy covers and how they didn't have much of anything to do with the story inside or appeared misleading. Some of them were very creative.
    Those misleading comic covers, which deceive purchasers with their factually incorrect representations of the story inside, might be illegal in some countries. For example:

UK Law: Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (2008)

But lets not go there....... We don't wish to make members of the Law profession any richer.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Loved the art on the first 2 thirds of the comic... great story I thought, much more happening now. I really needed a good distraction today as I was going to punch my boss in the face, this helped!!! Great job!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Those misleading comic covers, which deceive purchasers with their factually incorrect representations of the story inside, might be illegal in some countries. For example:

UK Law: Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (2008)

But lets not go there....... We don't wish to make members of the Law profession any richer.
    0 _ o whoa! that's hardcore.

Don't Covers get drawn way in advance for solicitations? That's like 4-5 months before the book is even written right? I know it happens all the time in comics. The writers or editors just changed their minds about what is going on in that issue.

* Great story! Lots of action with some creative dialogue from Hordak. Really like the way he can project himself in different places as a larger-than-life evil-doer. I Cannot wait to see where the story goes from here!
    *Always impressive art from our fellow MOTU fan Alex Gimenez! So excited to see his handywork in this issue.
    * In classic fashion, the cover art depicts He-Man and Despara fighting, which does not happen inside the book. Not surprised to see Adora's character as the #1 fan demanded pick for a new figure in the MOTUC toyline! The writers have done a great job with her.
    * Mekaneck has a proper weapon! Really enjoyed seeing his prominent part in this issue.
    * Loved seeing the Talon Fighter in this issue, and Mantisaur!
    * No crazy new costumes for Catra and Mokulok! A huge improvement over the reveals of just about every other character in this comic series.

I really liked this arc but I thought this would happen on the other hand, the secret of the sword reboot.I was wrong but no matter,it was very interesting.

I think it was a very intro arc and above all it was about Despara , pretty much focused on building of this character and for that reason I feel DC is up to something with She-Ra, maybe an own series.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I just git done with issue six,while the story is starting to look up the designs,for me,are going down....i don't mind the new power sword as it's a good way of bringing the death of the sorceress and the HM symbol all together.I do however hate He-man's new armour more with every issue that i see it in,the new take on Stratos for me is too heavily influenced by Marvel's Archangel and DC's Falcon i would have preferred they used more MYP influence with the rocket packs and redesigned helmet/maybe even like Zodak's than a straight reboot that looks like a rip off.I also like that Hordak is more machine,looking more to the Filmation version than the MYP version.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistor View Post
    0 _ o whoa! that's hardcore.

Don't Covers get drawn way in advance for solicitations? That's like 4-5 months before the book is even written right? I know it happens all the time in comics. The writers or editors just changed their minds about what is going on in that issue.
    I believe the responsibilities and risks lie primarily with the comic brands as they place the comic on the market and control what goes into the comic and what does not. Importantly, they are also the ones who can afford to pay the fine, compensation or legal fees if a court rules against them.

The comic brands probably need to consider how they manage their responsibilities and risks as comics seem to be written with North American laws in mind, but other regions around the world where the comics are made available will have different legislation that should be complied with. For example, European legislation generally has a greater focus on consumer protection. In this particular case, one way the comic brands could do this is by choosing to have different comic covers for different regions. Hence, if you wanted to see a cover with a factually accurate representation of the story inside before making say an on-line purchase you would look at the European comic cover.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

My pencils for page 4 of He-Man #6, with some small "detail" that doesn't appear in the final version

He-Man 0604.jpg

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    I believe the responsibilities and risks lie primarily with the comic brands as they place the comic on the market and control what goes into the comic and what does not. Importantly, they are also the ones who can afford to pay the fine, compensation or legal fees if a court rules against them.

The comic brands probably need to consider how they manage their responsibilities and risks as comics seem to be written with North American laws in mind, but other regions around the world where the comics are made available will have different legislation that should be complied with. For example, European legislation generally has a greater focus on consumer protection. In this particular case, one way the comic brands could do this is by choosing to have different comic covers for different regions. Hence, if you wanted to see a cover with a factually accurate representation of the story inside before making say an on-line purchase you would look at the European comic cover.
    You make here a really interesting and sensible point. England has strict laws about consumer protection and also representation of products, I understand. I have come across this for my work which is sometimes in England.

Do you work in this field of publishing? It seems that you might.

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    My pencils for page 4 of He-Man #6, with some small "detail" that doesn't appear in the final version

He-Man 0604.jpg
    Dylamog!!! That´s a sweet idea to bad he didn´t made it.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

This was my original idea for the colors of the guy on the floor, but well...

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2013-) 006-004 OV.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post

He-Man 0604.jpg
    Can you give any inside why there is so many artists and writers attached to this issue? I just feel it affects the flow of the story a bit when artists are different from one page to another, I think only colourist is the same for entire issue.

I love the details you added, pity all didn't make it